With ever increasing awareness about the negative effects that the palm oil industry is having on the environment, it remains a great shame that more and more everyday products seem to contain it. However, as companies are permitted to list it as "vegetable oil" in their ingredients consumers are unable to make an informed decision.|
The worst thing for many consumer-level palm oil activists is not just the fact that basic products contain it, but also that those rare indulgences are now a thing of the past with palm oil found (but listed as vegetable oil) in all kinds of treats including chocolate, sweets, ice cream and numerous types of biscuit. So, at A-Z Animals we have prepared a number of palm oil free recipes for you to enjoy!
Treat 7: Cornish Cream Tea
225g self raising flour
85g softened butter, cubed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 - 3 tbsp plain yoghurt
organic fruit jam and clotted cream to serve
Save the rainforest. Save the orang-utan. Save the world. Sign the petition today.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/180 °F/gas mark 6. Grease and line a flat baking sheet.
- Using your fingertips, crumble flour and butter together in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs
- In a jug beat the egg until smooth before mixing the yoghurt and vanilla extract in. Add the egg mix to the butter and flour and blend until it forms a smooth dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and using a firm hand, press the dough out until it is about 2.5cm thick.
- Cut into rounds using a cutter and place onto the baking sheet (brush the tops with a little milk or egg to give them a better colour).
- Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until the tops are golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack under a slightly damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
- Serve with organic strawberry jam and a large dollop of clotted cream alongside your favourite tea. They can be kept for a few days in an airtight container.
Ben the Beaver's Barrel of Laughs