Browser out-of-date!

You are using an out-of-date web browser, to avoid problems when using A-Z Animals and other sites we strongly recommend you upgrade to the latest version of your web browser!
Get Firefox Get Google Chrome Get Opera Get Microsoft Internet Explorer Get Apple Safari
Remove Advertising
A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Images and Resources A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Images and Resources A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Images and Resources

Betty the Butterfly's Blog >>

Sharks Face Extinction Because Of Soup


 A-Z on Twitter  RSS Feed  Donate!

Endangered
Hammerhead Shark



Dried Shark Fin
It has recently come to the attention of conversation groups and media reporters that many species of open ocean shark are now threatened with extinction. According to a BBC news report, 64 different species of shark and ray are now threatened animals, with 30% of these creatures said to be on the brink of extinction.

One of the main reasons for the decline in the elusive giants of the sea, is said to be caused by the popularity of finning, a process by which the fins of the shark are removed as they are worth a lot of money on the Oriental food market, but as the want for shark meat is so low, fisherman toss the fin-less body of the shark back into the ocean. The shark at the point is generally still alive but cannot swim so the body floats to the ocean floor where the shark will then die.


Shark Fin Soup

The fins of the shark are dried and are used to make shark fin soup, a Chinese delicacy that has increased in popularity over the past decade. Half a kilo of the dried shark fins is thought to sell for around £300, meaning that shark fin soup is eaten at Chinese banquets and weddings to symbolise both the wealth and prestige of the host. But is it really worth taking a life only to use 1% of it and throwing the other 99% away?


A School Of Sharks

It is estimated that around 100 million sharks are killed for their fins every year regardless of the age or size of the shark or how endangered the species may be. Shark populations are desperately suffering now as sharks take a few years to grow and become mature and tend to have a small number of babies. Experts believe that we will will lose a number of shark species completely within the next 10 years if things continue like this.

For more information about Shark Finning, please see:


Sharks Face Extinction Because Of Soup Comments (3)

Money Matt

"I cannot believe this is true!"

ExtraCash

"Great idea, but will this work over the long run?"

flashplayer

"Cool!"


Post Comment

Your Name:

Article Rating:

Your Comment:


Betty the Butterfly's BlogArchive

Ben the Beaver's Barrel of LaughsBen the Beaver's Barrel of Laughs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

 
I confirm the subscription of this blog to the Paperblog service under the username azanimals