Over the years, the human race has expanded more and more rapidly leaving a trail of environmental damage in the process. The biggest impacts on our planet are caused by pollution and deforestation, which means the loss of habitat for some of the world's rarest species.
The Rare Vancouver
But, at a time when we are becoming more aware of the destruction we have caused and are looking more and more to conserving the world's habitats, how many of us actually know which animals are our rarest? Here are the 10 rarest animals in the world:
The Only Pinta
- The Pinta Island Tortoise - Native to the Galapagos Islands. There is only one left due to hunting and habitat loss.
- The Yangtze River Dolphin - Native to the Yangtze river in China. There are less than 50 in the wild due to hunting and habitat loss.
- The Vancouver Island Marmot - Native to the Vancouver mountains. There are only 75 in the wild but captive breeding programmes are under way.
- The Seychelles Sheath-tailed Bat - Native to the island of Madagascar. There are less than 100 on the island, but the reason for their demise is uncertain.
- The Javan Rhinoceros - Native to Indonesia and Vietnam. There are less than 60 in the wild due to habitat loss.
- The Hispid Hare - Native to the Himalayan foothills in Nepal. There are less than 100 in the world due to habitat loss.
- The Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat - Native to the tropics of Australia. There are less than 100 left in the wild, due to habitat loss.
- The Dwarf Water Buffalo - Native to the Philippines. There are less than 200 in the wild due to hunting and habitat loss.
- The Iberian Lynx - Native to the Spanish region of Andalusia. As few as 100 remain in the wild due to habitat loss.
The Red Wolf - Native to the south-east of the USA. Just over 100 are thought to be in the wild today thanks to captive breeding programmes.
All of these animals have been classified as being Critically Endangered, and for many of them, their numbers in the wild are at an all time low. Global deforestation is the primary cause for their demise, something which is being done by us.
The Rarest Animals In The World Comments (5)
"put the blobfish in somewhere"
"AWW!! :( i feel SO bad for the endangered animals! :( i dont want any animals to be extinct. I LOVE ANIMALS SO MUCH!! <3"
Showing 3 of 5 comments.Show More Comments
Ben the Beaver's Barrel of Laughs