There are millions of plant species found all around the world that provide our planet with oxygen and food for numerous animal species. Plants can be found in almost all habitable regions from the ones that make up the nutrient rich jungles in the tropics, to microscopic algae found in the cold depths of the seas.
All animals rely on plants in some way to survive, whether they eat them themselves or prey on the creatures that do. Plants also provide the Earth with incredibly diverse regions for animals to exist in from vast grassy plains to wet swampland, they are the backbone for animals to survive here.
Many people do not really know a great deal about plants or their current plight on Earth so here a few interesting plant facts for you:
- Ninety percent of the foods people eat come from just 30 plants.
- 70,000 different species of plant are used for medicine all around the world.
- Only one percent of the plants found in rainforests have been studied for their medicinal properties.
- More than half of all plant species are found in just one country.
- Nearly 70 percent of plants are in danger of becoming extinct.
- Spices come from the seeds, berries, stems, bark, roots or bulbs of plants.
- More than 670 species and subspecies of carnivorous plant have been discovered.
- The world's tallest tree is a redwood in California that stands at 115.7m tall.
- Flowering plants are the most abundant and widespread group of plants on Earth.
- There are thought to be over 1,000 species of bamboo - the fastest growing woody plant in the world.