- January 2020
- October 2018
- August 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- November 2017
- September 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
10 Things You Might Not Know About Plants
All animals rely on plants in some way to survive, whether they eat them themselves or prey on the creatures that do. Plants also provide the Earth with incredibly diverse regions for animals to exist in from vast grassy plains to wet swampland, they are the backbone for animals to survive here.
Many people do not really know a great deal about plants or their current plight on Earth so here a few interesting plant facts for you:
- Ninety percent of the foods people eat come from just 30 plants.
- 70,000 different species of plant are used for medicine all around the world.
- Only one percent of the plants found in rainforests have been studied for their medicinal properties.
- More than half of all plant species are found in just one country.
- Nearly 70 percent of plants are in danger of becoming extinct.
- Spices come from the seeds, berries, stems, bark, roots or bulbs of plants.
- More than 670 species and subspecies of carnivorous plant have been discovered.
- The world's tallest tree is a redwood in California that stands at 115.7m tall.
- Flowering plants are the most abundant and widespread group of plants on Earth.
- There are thought to be over 1,000 species of bamboo - the fastest growing woody plant in the world.