Think you’ve seen big high schools? Think again. James Logan High School, nestled in Union City, California, boasts over 4,000 students. That’s right, 4,000! And while big numbers might sound intimidating, the LHS Colts prove that size matters in all the right ways.
Logan High School houses a diverse student body and faculty. It also has an impressive list of alumni who have achieved remarkable things. James Logan High School has been a breeding ground for success from NFL players to WWE superstars.
Let’s stroll through one of California’s largest high schools. We’ll explore the stories of the Colts who blazed trails before us.
History of the Largest High School in California
James Logan High School is the behemoth of them all. As stated earlier, it boasts an impressive student population of over 4,000. It has also not been left behind academically. This school embodies what it means to foster student development and preparedness for tertiary education.
The school has been awarded 2,820 positions in the National Rankings. It clinched 417 in California High Schools and 62 in the San Francisco, CA Metro Area High Schools categories. A commitment to state-required tests, impressive graduating numbers, and college readiness attest to these accolades.
There are several reasons why James Logan High School is among the top high schools. These reasons range from offering AP courses and personalized instruction to putting students’ welfare and club activities at the forefront.
One-of-a-kind learning opportunities are offered here, where students can choose their academic career paths while growing as individuals. An institution of this magnitude containing a gold mine of learning opportunities is an example for others to follow.
Some key factors contributing to James Logan High School’s success are:
- Students can choose from AP courses.
- A dedicated team of teachers that provides personalized instruction and support.
- An emphasis on student safety and well-being.
- Multiple student clubs and activities that promote collaboration and engagement.
- An effective system for recognizing and addressing student needs.
James Logan High School embodies tailored instruction, student development, and academic excellence that should be celebrated and emulated.
James Logan High School Students and Teachers
California’s largest high school, James Logan High School, has over 4000 students who represent diverse minority backgrounds and account for 95% of the overall student population. Out of these, 35.2% are Asian.
Gender distribution is equally split between males and females, bringing fair play and balance to the school’s environment. Economically disadvantaged students comprise about 39% of the student population, with the free lunch program accounting for 32% and subsidized lunch making up 7%. Despite the challenges, James Logan students continue to push and strive for academic greatness.
The school’s academic staff comprises 178 full-time equivalent teachers, some of the most qualified and dedicated professionals. Their hard work and discipline have paid off, as evident in the 96% graduation rate and an impressive average SAT score of 1195. With such knowledgeable faculty at the student’s disposal, greatness is inevitable.
James Logan High School is a top-notch school that fosters diversity and provides quality education. With the help of the school’s distinguished and dynamic faculty, students are addicted to success and can become proud contributors to their communities.
Popular Clubs and Activities at the High School
The school has modern amenities and diverse programs catering to students’ unique interests and academic goals. Here are some of the most popular clubs and organizations at James Logan High School:
- Red Cross Club: volunteers for disaster relief and offers assistance.
- Girls Up: empowers girls and advocates for gender equality.
- FemmeInStem inspires and supports women pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.
- International Thespian Society (ITS): helps students develop acting skills and participate in theater productions.
- Letters for Rose: spreads kindness and positivity by writing uplifting letters to those in need.
- Interact: organizes community service and fundraising events to impact the local area positively.
- StemBudz: promotes STEM education and encourages students to pursue STEM careers.
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America): prepares students for business careers through leadership and skills development.
- French Club: celebrates French language and culture through language practice, activities, and events.
- MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán): focuses on building community and promoting education, culture, and history among Chicano and Latino students.
- Key Club: encourages and facilitates community service projects to improve those in need.
- James Logan Jalwa: showcases South Asian students’ talents through music, dance, and cultural performances.
- Math Club: hosts math competitions and provides advanced math instruction for interested students.
- South Asian Student Association: fosters community and showcases South Asia’s rich culture through events and activities.
- K-Pop Choreography Club: teaches and performs Korean pop dance routines.
- Muslim Student Association: supports and builds a community among Muslim students.
- Art Club: encourages and provides opportunities for creative expression through various artistic mediums.
- Deco Journaling Club: creates and shares aesthetically pleasing journals and planners.
- Vietnamese Culture Club (Vietnamese Student Association): celebrates and promotes Vietnamese culture through events and activities.
- BC2M (Bring Change 2 Mind): raises awareness and reduces stigma around mental health issues.
- Sole2SoulxLogan: collects and donates athletic shoes to those in need locally and globally.
List of Notable High School Alumni
James Logan High School, located in Union City, California, has produced many successful alumni. Here are some notable James Logan High School graduates:
World-famous athlete Stephen Abas has achieved greatness in freestyle wrestling and mixed martial arts. He won three national titles while studying at Fresno State University, earning several honors. However, before all that, Abas was a top-notch wrestler at James Logan High School.
Here are some interesting facts about Abas’ early life and college career:
- Abas was a three-time California wrestling state champion at James Logan High School. Before that, he attended Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley.
- Abas and his brother Gerry Abas were part of the Wan Tu Wazuri wrestling club at Oakland Technical High School in Oakland. The club played a crucial role in their wrestling development.
- While attending Fresno State University from 1998-2002, Abas earned four All-American honors and won three national NCAA DI wrestling championships.
- Abas competed in the 125 pound weight division. He finished his incredible college career with a 144-4 record with 46 pins and went undefeated in his last two college seasons.
- Abas’ achievements in college wrestling paved the way for a successful freestyle wrestling career. He competed in two world freestyle championships and received a silver medal at the 2004 Olympic Games.
From the Bay Area to the big leagues, Tuineau Alipate was a gridiron force to be reckoned with. But before making headlines in the NFL and CFL, he knocked down doors at James Logan High School in Union City, California. He mastered his linebacker skills and earned a spot in the Athletics Hall of Fame.
Alipate won the Grey Cup championship with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, thanks to his dedication, perseverance, and talent. He established himself on other NFL teams. And although his professional career catapulted him to fame, his modest upbringing laid the foundation for his success.
Jonn Hart is a James Logan High School Alumni who has made a name for himself as a singer. He was born Doi’Jnn Gary Grizzell in Oakland, California, in 1985. Hart’s success in the music industry is attributed to his talent and hard work. Here are some interesting facts about Jonn Hart:
- He was a former member of the band Tha Outfit and was signed to Epic Records early in his career.
- Jonn Hart’s debut release, “Who Booty,” became a sensation on radio stations, peaking at #3 on the Rhythmic Songs chart, and debuted on the Billboard Top 40 Pop Songs chart in February 2013 and December 2012, respectively!
- He is a product of a musical household. His mother sang in the choir, and his stepfather sang gospel music and owned a studio.
- At an early age, Hart was constantly in his stepfather’s music studio and gradually realized he wanted to play music.
- After graduating from James Logan High School, Jonn Hart continued his education at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Hart’s hit single “Who Booty” features Iamsu! on the original version, a remix version featuring French Montana, and another with E-40. “I Can’t Feel My Leggz,” a single Hart released in December 2013, featured Sha and further cemented his place in the music industry.
SuChin Pak, an immigrant from Seoul, South Korea, is a notable James Logan High School alumna in Union City, California. Her passion for youth involvement in politics and expository speaking was evident during her schooling days. She achieved placing 8th in California for the latter.
Interestingly, this passion for television wasn’t planned but initiated when she was interviewed for KGO-TV’s Straight Talk’ N Teens’ show. Her story took an exciting turn following her appearance in the piece.
A program director from another station offered her an opportunity to host the teen-based magazine show First Cut on KRON. With her first significant interview with Ice-T, Pak fostered her interest in the media world, eventually becoming a reputable host and journalist.
James Logan High School boasts an impressive list of notable alumni, including Vickie Guerrero, the legendary WWE personality and retired professional wrestler.
During her time with WWE, she held various roles, including as an on-screen authority figure, a wrestler in the Divas division, and a manager for numerous wrestlers. Some notable points about Vickie Guerrero that make her stand out as an alumnus of James Logan High School are:
- She had a long tenure with WWE and was best known for being General Manager of SmackDown from 2007 to 2011 and Raw from 2011 to 2013.
- Her villainous persona and catchphrase “Excuse me!” made her a fan favorite and caused negative reactions from the audience.
- She combined her personal and professional life, incorporating her late husband, Eddie Guerrero, in WWE storylines.
- Even though she left WWE in 2014, she still appeared sporadically in the company.
- Most recently, Vickie Guerrero worked for All Elite Wrestling (AEW) as the manager of Nyla Rose and Marina Shafir.
Vickie Guerrero’s WWE success is nothing short of extraordinary. Her stint as a wrestler manager continues to inspire and motivate young women interested in careers.
Other Large High Schools in California
James Logan High School is not the only large high school in California. Other large schools include:
El Camino Real Charter High School
Established in 1969, ECR has been open to students seeking a suitable learning environment. With a large central quad and an open campus policy, students can enjoy the beauty of the outdoors during lunch, while studying, and even between classes.
ECR serves local students from Woodland Hills, West Hills, and other areas of the Los Angeles district. ECR’s academic performance index in 2012 was 832 out of 1,000. The school also became a California Distinguished School in March 2009, showing its dedication to quality education. In December 2010, ECR teachers and staff voted to become a charter school, a change that took effect in 2011.
Garfield High School California
Established in 1925, this school has a rich background and is one of 254 high schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Aside from its academic prowess, Garfield has a diverse student population, with around 93% of students hailing from unfavorable circumstances.
Despite this, Garfield’s advanced placement participation rate is an impressive 38%, and the school has a Computer Science-focused magnet program. The school has gained national recognition through films like Stand and Deliver and Walkout, which showcase the school’s impact on the community.
And let’s remember the East LA Classic, the school’s annual homecoming football game since 1925.
Chino Hills High School
Welcome to Chino Hills High School, where three cities unite to form an exceptional high school. Since its establishment in 2001, CHHS has proudly served the South Ontario, Chino Hills, and Chino Valley Unified School Districts.
This public comprehensive high school has been committed to offering a top-notch education for almost two decades, placing the student body’s needs at the center of everything they do.
Boasting a graduation rate of 96% in 2013, it’s no wonder why CHHS is a standout in the district, exceeding both the district and state rates. With an extremely low dropout rate of 0.7%, CHHS sets the standard for high schools in California.
Where is James Logan High School Located on a Map?
Located in Union City, California, James Logan High School is a publicly-funded educational institution. It operates within the New Haven Unified School District, serving the diverse community of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Here is James Logan High School on a map:
Going Above and Beyond: The Legacy of James Logan High School
James Logan High School is a testament to what can be achieved when ambitious and motivated individuals come together. Its huge campus and vast student population have been key elements in allowing the school to gain such an esteemed reputation within the community. And with many famous names on its list of notable alumni, it’s clear that James Logan High School has impacted many lives.
Although it’s one of the largest high schools in California, James Logan High School is much more than just a big building filled with students; it represents so much more to those who have attended or been associated with the school in some way. It captures the spirit of communal efforts towards excellence, symbolizing the potential that can be unlocked when enough effort and dedication are present. For this reason, James Logan High School will undoubtedly remain important to those affiliated with it over the years.
The Featured Image
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.