Many shows depict specific locations. Sometimes they even take the characters through a variety of spots throughout the world. However, the scenes are not always filmed in the exact locations portrayed. This is true for the show ‘Outer Banks.’ The show follows a group of teenagers as they find breadcrumb answers to lingering, persistent questions. Discover where ‘Outer Banks’ is filmed, the best times to visit those true locations, the kind of wildlife you find there, and more!
What Is ‘Outer Banks’ About?
‘Outer Banks’ is a show on the streaming platform Netflix. It follows a group of teenagers on a treasure hunt on the North Carolina coast. The teenagers live in the Outer Banks (OBX). The show has a character named John B. whose father has gone missing. The teenagers believe that the treasure they’re hunting for may have clues that elucidate the truth of John B.’s father’s disappearance.
Finding the treasure may prove difficult enough, but there is also a class war in play. OBX is segregated into two main portions called The Cut and Figure 8. John B. and his friends are originally from The Cut (they’re called Pogues), which is the lower-class portion of OBX. Figure 8 has the Kooks, which are the upper-class portion of OBX. Groups from these two opposite wealth classes clash as they make their way to find the same treasure.
Where Was ‘Outer Banks’ Filmed?
‘Outer Banks’ was filmed in two locations, South Carolina and Barbados.
The locations in South Carolina include:
- Shem Creek, Mount Pleasant, SC. Many of the show’s water and boating scenes for Kildare Harbor took place in this location. This is a popular area in South Carolina. It attracts those looking for seafood dining options while hanging out by the water and enjoying the sunset.
- The Kiawak Island Golf Resort, SC. The golf resort became the Island Club in the show, where the upper class, the Kooks, hosted a special event. It’s the go-to spot for the wealthy. The real location in South Carolina offers oceanfront dining and other recreational activities by the beach.
- Pitt Street, Mount Pleasant, SC. This location serves as the background throughout many of the scenes in ‘Outer Banks,’ including those involving the Sheriff’s Station.
- Morris Island, SC. The location of the shipwreck scenes is Morris Island. If you look for it, you can spot the red and white lighthouse from Morris Island in the show’s scenes.
The locations in Barbados include:
- Bathsheba Beach, Barbados. During the show’s second season, several scenes show a rocky beach when the Pogues develop a rescue plan. When they swim to the nearest island, it’s Bathsheba Beach.
- Welchman Hall Gully, Barbados. In the third season, the crew heads out to South America, where they discover the El Dorado Cave. These scenes actually take place in Barbados, where there are cave tours and picturesque hiking trails.
Best Time to Visit South Carolina
Spring to mid-summer (March to May) is the best time to visit the state of South Carolina. The weather is warm, the environment has grown lush post-winter, and nature lovers have plenty to enjoy. The beaches are gorgeous and inviting during the months of June and July. However, if you prefer to wait until the crowds have dissipated, it’s better to wait and plan your visit for September.
Best Time to Visit Barbados
To get the most out of your visit to Barbados, it’s best to plan your arrival during the dry season (December to April). The weather during this period is not just dry but also warm and keeps you from having to deal with hurricanes.
Wildlife in South Carolina
Wildlife throughout the state of South Carolina consists of mammals like black bears, bobcats, manatees, southern fox squirrels, river otters, spotted skunks, coyotes, deer, bats, raccoons, red foxes, and more.
There are a variety of land birds, marsh birds, coastal birds, game birds, raptors, and wading birds as well.
Fish include both freshwater and saltwater fish. There are also a few reptiles and amphibians, including alligators, snakes, frogs, and toads.
Wildlife in Barbados
Things to Do in South Carolina
South Carolina is famous for its beautiful white sand beaches, its warm, inviting temperatures, and tons of flavorful cuisine. Southern hospitality welcomes visitors from around the world. You can enjoy the contrast of the hustle and bustle of busy cities and experience life at a more leisurely pace.
Things to Do in Barbados
Barbados is a strikingly beautiful destination where you can enjoy the surf, take gorgeous photos, and enjoy the waters swimming and snorkeling. Those visiting for the first time may enjoy a cruise or tour to get the most out of their time on the island.
Where is North Carolina Located on a Map?
North Carolina, located in the Southeastern region of the United States, is a state that boasts a significant size and population. As the 28th largest state and the 9th-most populous in the country, it shares its borders with Virginia to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, Georgia and South Carolina to the south, and Tennessee to the west.
Here is North Carolina on a Map:
The photo featured at the top of this post is © Jason Schronce/Shutterstock.com
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.