- February 2020
- January 2020
- October 2018
- August 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- November 2017
- September 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
Keeping Pets Safe from Toxic Foods
Though it’s fun for us and our pets when we share food with them, some things are better left on the countertop. Some common fruits and vegetables can’t be digested by your pets, while a laundry list of other people foods should be kept out of your pet’s reach.
Canines have particular sensitivities to caffeine and chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine, which is also harmful to dogs on its own. Coffee, tea, and energy drinks should all be kept away from man’s best friend as they can cause hyperactivity, dehydration and heart strain. Chocolate, however, contains near-toxic levels of a chemical called theobromine found in cacao beans, which is known to create organ system failure. The darker the chocolate, the higher the toxicity, with milk chocolate posing less threat than other recipes with higher percentages of cacao.
For an unknown reason, grapes and raisins also pose a threat to your furry friend, causing kidney damage or liver failure. Even a few grapes can cause your dog to become very ill. These are amongst a variety of food allergies about which all dog owners should be aware.
Though it may seem that your cat loves milk, felines actually have an intolerance to dairy. More than that, you should also be careful feeding cats raw egg. Though they may have caught and eaten eggs in the wild or even on the farm, your domestic kitty can still get very sick with salmonella.
Birds and Rodents:
Small pets like birds, ferrets, rabbits, rats, hamsters, and mice are all affected at greater rates by toxins due to their diminutive sizes. Any part of an avocado can kill a smaller animal, though avocados are toxic to most housepets.
Candy is another category of treats that should be for humans only. Most animals can’t digest the high levels of sugar, and most candy contains an alcohol called xylitol that’s poisonous to your pets. Furthermore, small hard candies or pieces of chewing gum can also pose a choking hazard.
Several houseplants are toxic to your pets if ingested. Azaleas can cause gastroenteritis or vomiting, or even death, while lilies and daffodils can also cause vomiting or diarrhea.
It’s a good idea to keep all your animals away from certain items. Household chemicals, medicines, and illicit drugs all should be kept out of the claws and paws of your animal friends:
* Pills: Any pills or medication accidentally ingested by your pet is cause for concern, but especially be careful with acetaminophen which can be fatal.
* Alcohol: Alcohol affects animals more quickly and at a greater rate than it does humans. Animals shouldn’t be given any alcoholic drinks or any other influencing substances because the effects can be harmful and long-lasting.
* Windshield wiper fluid
Check out the infographic below for a detailed break-down of toxic substances that can potentially poison your pet.