Dominance is a tale as old as time and in the wild, it’s more prevalent than ever. The biggest cats in Africa and the second biggest in the entire planet are lions. Additionally, they are the only fully social cats who live in prides.
Females in a pride are typically connected and frequently live their entire lives with that pride. Yet, from around 3 years of age, males are expelled from the pride. At this stage, they frequently adopt a nomadic lifestyle or coexist with other males, frequently their siblings.
What you’re about to witness is the equivalent of two men taking part in a bar fight over a pretty girl … except with lions, they’re a bit more unhinged. It is standard lion behavior to fight for dominance in a pride.
A male lion’s gorgeous, thick mane serves as both a status symbol and a neck protector in a battle. The present male or coalition of males will fight if another male attempts to take over the pride. If they prevail, new, triumphant males will frequently kill all cubs remaining reliant on their mothers.
Although it may appear cruel, the new pride leaders are ensuring that they devote their time and resources to caring for and defending their own pups by acting in this way. In this video, two lions go toe-to-toe in an attempt to earn the title of pride leader.
As they charge at each other, we see the lionesses in the area scurry away to safety. Any other lion around during these interactions can be hurt. With their powerful jaws wide open, these big cats hold nothing back as they attack one another.
A viewer has this to say about the encounter: “It’s amazing how lions are considered the epitome of bravery and ferocity throughout all of history regardless of geographical location or cultural traditions. Truly deserving of the title king of the jungle!”
You’ll get chills as you watch these two battle it out. Thankfully, neither walked away with grave injuries. The pride crowned a winner after a short fight for the role. Take a look at the intense interaction below!
- Watch a Lioness Defend Her Cubs Against an Aggressive Male Lion – A mother’s love never looked as fierce as a defensive lioness!
- See a Brave Lioness Try To Stop a Stalking Male From Killing Her Cubs – Take a look at what a mother is willing to do to protect her babies.
- Watch Two Crocs Fight To The Death in An Intense Match – Not even other crocodiles are safe from the wrath of one another!
- See A Tiny Penguin Make A Dash for Safety From A Hunting Seal – The Artic is a wild place and one penguin fights for his life from a predator.
- Someday This Tiger Will Learn How To Ambush. Until Then, Animals Are Safe – As one of the most ferocious beasts in the world, this tiger doesn’t have much to show for it.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.