When you plan a trip to the zoo, you’re expecting to take a leisurely stroll and see some of the world’s incredible animals right before your eyes. Most of the time, these creatures are minding their own business by sleeping or eating.
Visitors at a zoo in India got to witness something unforgettable when they stopped to observe the crocodiles. There are a plethora of crocodiles enjoying a beautiful day in the sun and the person filming gets incredible close-up shots of the apex predators sunbathing on the sand.
While we’re not sure what causes the scuffle, one crocodile can be seen coming out of the water with its jaw hanging open as he approaches another. The unsuspecting crocodile quickly works to defend themself and the two start getting into a deadly fight.
The lighter-colored croc is the one that made the initial attack and has already drawn blood from the darker one. In the meantime, the crocodile being attacked in this clip is simply trying to use his large head to defend himself.
Boys Will Be Boys
It’s not uncommon for crocodiles to attack each other, especially when showing dominance. What’s not common is cannibalism within the reptile community. That doesn’t stop one of these creatures from going after the other until one of them is dead.
The video below will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Which croc will win the fight? Why do crocodiles do this to one another? There are so many questions that leave us wondering.
A mature male saltwater crocodile would not tolerate another male at any time of the year, although most animal species are more tolerant, besides the saltwater crocodile, which is an extremely possessive and hostile animal.
Matthew Brien, wildlife biologist at Charles Darwin University has this to say about aggressive crocodiles: “They get in an agitated state then wind themselves up and swing their heads into other crocodiles. When you see larger salties, especially males during mating season, it’s quite fearsome.”
Check out the video of the two battling for life below!
- Watch A Lioness Defend Her Cubs Against An Aggressive Male Lion – A mother’s love never looked as fierce as a defensive lioness!
- See two Huge Lions Fight For Dominance, In Slow Motion – If you thought fighting lions was intense, just wait until you see it happen in slow-mo!
- See A Brave Lioness Try To Stop A Stalking Male From Killing Her Cubs – Take a look at what a mother is willing to do to protect her babies.
- See A Tiny Penguin Make A Dash for Safety From A Hunting Seal – The Artic is a wild place and one penguin fights for his life from a predator.
- Someday This Tiger Will Learn How To Ambush. Until Then, Animals Are Safe – As one of the most ferocious beasts in the world, this tiger doesn’t have much to show for it.
More from A-Z Animals
The Featured Image
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.