- The hummingbird is the smallest bird that migrates.
- Their name comes from the sound that their wings make when they beat fast.
- These tiny birds build their nests with spider webs.
Welcome to the Hummingbird Quiz, where you can test your knowledge and learn more about one of the tiniest birds in the avian world with the highest mass-specific metabolic rate! These small but mighty birds may be known for their wing speed but they are also highly territorial and will fiercely guard what they deem their area.
Take the quiz to test your knowledge of Hummingbirds if you believe you know everything there is to know about them or if you simply want to learn more about these rapid-wing flapping birds!
Colorful Types Of Species
This tiny bird belongs to the groupTrochilidae which is made up of over 350 different species found throughout North, Central and South America. However, the majority can be found in Central and South America. Some of these are considered endangered as they are so rare that their numbers are critically low. A few of the many other species you may see are:
- Giant hummingbird – the largest of the species, is found throughout the Andes in South America.
- Bee hummingbird – the smallest of the species, this bird is found in Cuba.
- Ruby-throated hummingbird – this species is found all throughout the United States and Canada.
- Royal Sunangel – one of the rarest of the species and is found in southeastern Ecuador through northern Peru.
- Glittering Starfrontlet – a rare species that is found in Columbia whose numbers hover around 250.
- Sapphire-Bellied – a rare species found in Columbia whose numbers are less than 250.
- Rufous hummingbird – found in North America, is perhaps the most aggressive of the species.
Hummingbirds are considered birds of extreme. Even though they are small, they seem to do things faster, quicker, and stronger, especially for their size. They fly at incredibly fast speeds and their metabolism is so fast, that they must eat all day long merely to survive. Read on to discover more fascinating facts about these birds.
- Hummingbirds are able to fly backward and upside down.
- They have no sense of smell.
- They are considered the most aggressive bird species
- The nickname for these tiny birds is Flower-sucker.
- The hummingbird is a symbol of good luck.
- Their breathing is extremely quick.
- They do not migrate in groups but rather are solo travelers.
- They see color better than humans.