Humans aren’t the only living beings that can experience stress and anxiety. Man’s best friend can feel anxious as well. Some of the conditions that can cause a dog to feel stressed include thunderstorms, being left alone, and new visitors in the house. Calming dog beds are just one of the tools that you can use to help your pooch relax. These are specially designed beds that provide your pet with a soothing sanctuary – a place where he feels secure, warm, and comfortable. Unfortunately, not all of the products available in the market are suitable. Hours of research and testing enabled us to create a shortlist of the best calming dog beds for you to choose from.
What to Look for in Calming Dog Beds
To find the calming dog bed that suits the needs of your furry friend, you’ll need to consider several important factors.
Anti-anxiety beds for dogs can be divided into several categories – donut-style, bolster, cave-style, self-warming, and orthopedic dog beds.
Donut-style dog beds are ideal for small breeds. This round bed has raised sides all around to create a nest-like feel, perfect for curling up and snuggling in. The edges are also ideal for providing head support in any direction.
Bolster dog beds feature raised edges on three sides that can serve as a pillow where your dog can rest his head. These edges also provide your dog with something to lean on while they snooze, giving them a feeling of security. This type of anti-anxiety bed is best for large dogs.
Cave-style dog beds feature a “pocket” that allows your pooch to burrow into the bed and hide. This type of anti-anxiety bed has a few different designs. Some look like sleeping bags while others resemble a dome. The interior lining of the bed is typically made of soft Sherpa fleece or similar material that reminds your dog of the times he spent cuddling next to his littermates and his mom.
Self-warming beds are beds that use the dog’s body heat to generate warmth, creating a cozy environment for your dog to relax in.
Orthopedic dog beds contain memory foam that helps relieve pressure points and provide support. These are ideal for senior dogs and those who are suffering from mobility issues. Pain can cause dogs to feel anxious, so a bed that helps relieve joint pain and loosens their tight muscles can help them calm down.
Some calming dog beds are better suited to certain breeds. Donut-style beds, for example, are more suitable for small dogs. A bolster bed will be more comfortable for large dogs. However, it’s still important that you check the dimensions of the bed you’re going to buy. You’ll want to get something that has a bit of extra space, so your dog can move around a bit. But you don’t want to get a calming dog bed that’s too big because it will not have the cocooning effect. If you’re getting an orthopedic bed, however, you need to get one that has enough space for your dog to stretch out completely without any part of his body hanging out of the bed.
Look for a bed that comes with machine-washable fabric to make cleaning the bed easy. At the very least, it should have a removable cover that can be washed.
For your dog to feel comfortable, his bed needs to be dry and cozy. With a waterproof lining, cleanup is much easier should any accidents occur.
Look for a calming bed that uses materials that are antibacterial to prevent odors from sticking to the bed. Faux fur, for example, is not only similar to a dog’s fuzzy coat, it is also antibacterial.
Make sure that the bed doesn’t slide whenever your dog tries to get in or out of the bed. Not only can this cause an accident and possibly injure your dog, it can also add stress to your pooch.
Benefits of a Calming Dog Bed
The most obvious benefit of calming dog beds is the fact that it helps alleviate any stress or anxiety that your dog is currently feeling. Take note that this bed is merely a tool that can help reduce anxiety, but it is not the solution. You will need to combine the bed with some training or conditioning. Help your dog calm down before he sleeps by making him relax. Gently stroke the side of his face in a circular motion. You can do the same on his chest. Massaging his ears also works to promote relaxation. You can even do this while he’s lying on the bed to help him associate feeling relaxed and happy with his new bed.
Aside from reducing anxiety, a calming bed can bring about other benefits:
- Your dog will learn how to handle stress better.
- The raised edges will help prevent stress on the neck and other joints.
- Your dog will fall asleep quicker and get more restful sleep.
- Restful sleep will help improve his immune system.
- Sleep can also help improve brain development, memory, and learning capacity.
The Top Picks for Best Calming Beds: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Calming Dog Bed: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat. Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health. The uniquely designed Airloft fibers keep their loft for up to 3Xs longer than standard pet beds.
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut cuddler beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor! Finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, accidental messes will be prevented from reaching your floors. Removable shells available on size M-XL beds are machine washable. The entirety of the small-sized bed is machine washable. (Do not leave bed to air dry, as this will lead to tangling and matting of the faux fur).
- PET-SAFE MATERIALS: Tested through Consumer Product Safety Commission certified labs to ensure safety for you and your pets. Free from: flame retardants, formaldehyde, skin irritating chemicals, harsh dyes.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Designed and shipped from Los Angeles, CA, our local customer service is only a phone call or email away to address any concerns and questions to ensure you and your pets are happy with your purchase.
Our pick for the best overall calming dog bed is Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed. And we’re not the only one. This shaggy thing has over 47,000 ratings on Amazon with a score of 4.7 out of 5. Of course, our first thought was that this could just be loads of fake reviews. It couldn’t be that good, could it? Well, after days of testing and loads of research, we were happily surprised that this stylish donut bed really does deliver.
The bed features vegan faux shag fur that felt surprisingly soft when we touched it. It comes in a variety of natural colors. Coupled with its versatile design, this is one bed that will complement your decor whatever it might be. Of course, that’s not really why we love this bed. It’s because our dogs loved it more.
During testing, we decided to see how The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed will fare against a well-loved regular dog bed and our own human bed. Right off the bat, our Maltese (who’s deathly afraid of loud noises) started sniffing around the fluffy bed. It didn’t take him long either to start burrowing into the bed, getting all comfy. We were very impressed at how relaxed he was on the bed. He didn’t seem to mind people buzzing about. Not even when people came to visit.
We found the bed to be quite thick; it is filled with non-toxic Airloft fibers that provide that extra cushion for more comfort and additional support. The edges of the bed feature double overlock stitching to make it more durable. However, this is still not suitable for moderate to aggressive chewers. While this is not really a high-end product (we’ve found other dog beds that cost a lot more), it still has a considerable price tag that you wouldn’t want to pay only to get a real hole in the donut in just a matter of days.
There are 4 sizes available, by the way, from small to extra large. Yes, this calming dog bed is not just for small dogs. Its biggest size can handle dog breeds weighing up to 150 lbs. The smallest one is completely machine-washable. The rest of the sizes come with removable covers that can also be laundered using the washing machine. Easy to clean, comfortable, and really calming, with enough sizes to suit dogs of all ages and breeds. It’s really no wonder why so many pet parents buy it.
Click here to check out Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed at Amazon.com.
#2 Best Calming Dog Bed for Large Dogs: Majestic Pet Poly-Cotton Sherpa Bagel Dog Bed
- 52-inch Green and Sherpa Bagel Pet Dog Bed
- Base made of waterproof 300/600 Denier
- Made of a 7-ounce Poly/Cotton Twill, stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fiber Fil
- Made in the USA
- Outside Dimensions-40-inch by 31-inch ,Inside Dimensions-30-inch by 21-inch ,Bolster 12-inch high,Cushion 9-inch high
While The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed has an extra-large size, the cushion isn’t thick enough for giant breeds like Great Danes. So, we decided to look for another calming dog bed that would be suitable for the big guys. The result? The Majestic Pet Poly-Cotton Sherpa Bagel Dog Bed.
This anti-anxiety bed is a much more durable option when it comes to holding up large dogs. The padding is definitely thicker at 10 inches while the “walls” of the bed measure a good 14 inches. We liked the oval shape of the bed instead of the same round design as most calming beds. It allowed our dog (a staff member’s Great Dane) to stretch out fully which was his preferred sleeping position.
The bolster is made of Poly/Cotton Twill. The stuffing is premium high loft Polyester fiberfill which managed to maintain the bed’s shape after several uses. The cushion is covered in faux Sherpa while the bottom of the bed is made of heavy-duty, water-resistant 300/600 denier fabric. All of that combined makes for a really comfortable bed. One that we wouldn’t mind nesting in when we’re feeling stressed or anxious.
Aside from comfort, pet parents will be happy to note that these beds are very stylish. They’re available in a variety of colors. While this is not really a huge deal, it certainly doesn’t hurt that your newest piece of furniture is nice to look at. And at this price, it’s already a steal.
What about cleaning? Well, the entire bed is machine-washable which is great. However, you can’t remove the cover. So, you’ll need to put the entire bed inside your washing machine. Like what some customers recommended, we opted to use the laundromat. It did take a while including letting the bed tumble dry. It’s definitely not convenient. As for chewers, the jury is still out on this one. The bolsters have a thick cover which isn’t easy for a dog’s teeth to penetrate. But the cushion isn’t as tough. Because our dog isn’t a chewer, we leave that up to you.
Click here to check out Majestic Pet Poly-Cotton Sherpa Bagel Dog Bed at Amazon.com.
#3 Best Calming Dog Bed for Burrowers: Furhaven Round Snuggery Hooded Dog Bed
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed cover features an attached blanket that can be used as is or converted into a tented burrowing cave, with either configuration providing a cozy nestling space for pets to curl up and snuggle in warmth
- SLEEP SURFACE: The interior sleep surface and hooded blanket exterior feature lustrous long-pile micro velvet so luxuriously soft to the touch that no pet could ever resist snuggling into its downy comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam base helps cushion pressure points, distribute body weight, and improve air circulation to ease discomfort and allow for a more restful sleep
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Espresso; 26" Base, 26" x 26" x 3"
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Espresso, Sage, Navy, and Silver; it's also available in 18" Base, 26" Base, 35" Base, and 44" Base
The most effective types of calming dog beds fall into two categories. One is the donut bed. But for burrowers, only one type will suffice – the cave-style calming dog bed. According to our research, the Furhaven Round Snuggery Hooded Dog Bed is the best one in the market.
This anti-anxiety bed first caught our eye because of its versatile design. Yes, it does provide a cave for your dog to burrow into and store his precious toys in. But cuddlers can also use the hood as a blanket just by removing the plastic snuggery tube. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it looks pretty stylish and luxurious with its microvelvet fabric. And it won’t even break your budget to buy it.
The sleep surface looks plush and feels incredibly soft. The egg crate orthopedic foam base, which is CertiPUR-US Certified Foam, by the way, provides just the right amount of support to help relieve aching joints and loosen tight muscles. Our tester for this bed was an English Bulldog named Meg. We noticed that without the snuggery tube, she had a slightly difficult time figuring out how to get under the blanket without having us tuck her in. Though she did love sleeping underneath it for hours on end. She also didn’t mind using the bed with the hood up. She just hid deeper into the bed to get that warm, cuddly sensation.
Overall, we’d rate this an incredibly comfortable bed. Dogs weighing up to 80 lbs like a Golden Retriever can make use of this bed. One thing we did note about this bed is that while it is durable enough for most dogs, it is not suitable for chewers.
Click here to check out Furhaven Round Snuggery Hooded Dog Bed at Amazon.com.
#4 Best Budget Calming Dog Bed: Nononfish Anti-Anxiety Dog Bed
- 【Dog Calming Bed Large】Large calming pet bed feature nest-like walls helps your dog curl and burrow like it would in a natural environment ,raised rim provide head and neck support,warm dog beds large can support better sleep.provides a full sense of security for your pet.Make the dog friendlier, calmer, and less anxious,Can also relieve muscle soreness and joint pain.
- 【Fuzzy Dog Bed Large】Our dog beds are made high quality materials(Cozy,fluffy plush faux fur exterior,The interior is filled with soft environmentally friendly high quality pearl cotton,Anti-slip PVC dot fabric bottom).This combination allows your pet can play safely and rest peacefully and comfortably on the dog bed.
- 【nonslip dog bed】Our dog beds are designed with a non-slip bottom that can be easily secured to tile and hardwood floors in your home. Our pet beds can be seamlessly added to the decor of any room.
- 【Large Round Dog Bed】We recommend the 48” pet bed for Large sized dogs up to 80 lbs(large breed dog; Labrador,German Shepherd Dogs,Golden,German Shorthaired,etc）Please select the suitable pet bed according to the actual size of the pet.
- 【Fluffy Dog Beds for Large Dogs】Due to the large amount of cotton filling and the fact that the dog bed is vacuum compressed.When you open package please manually adjust the dog bed to the desired shape and put it for 1-2 days.we also suggest you put a chew toy on your pet bed so that the pet bed will not become a chew toy if you have puppies or dogs with excessive teething or chewing behavior.If you have any questions about our pet beds,simply reach out to our customer service team
Not everyone can afford high-end calming dog beds. But that doesn’t mean you have to settle for cheap just because you have a limited budget. The Nononfish Anti-Anxiety Dog Bed is extremely affordable AND effective.
This calming dog bed is a great option if you want to test out a donut bed with your dog. The smallest size costs less than $20 which won’t make you feel bad if he doesn’t end up liking it.
The Nonofish Anti-Anxiety Dog Bed is covered in faux fur while the interior is stuffed with premium quality virgin pearl cotton. The bottom of the bed is made of high-density waterproof fabric with sticky beads to provide a non-slip grip. The wrap-around bolster provides support for the head and neck while your dog lounges on the bed.
Compared to all our other picks, this bed wasn’t as thick. The bolsters are only 7 inches. While this is nothing to sneeze at, large dogs might sink right through the center. However, it’s still comfortable enough to lie in especially for small dogs.
As for cleaning, the entire bed is machine-washable and you can spot clean as needed. However, the manufacturer recommends hand-washing to make sure that fluffiness remains afterward. Overall, this donut bed has a lot going for it as long as you keep in mind that you get what you pay for.
Click here to check out Nononfish Anti-Anxiety Dog Bed at Amazon.com.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Calming Dog Beds: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Which calming dog bed is best?
The overall best calming dog bed is one that suits the particular needs of your pet. The most important factor is comfort. It needs to be able to provide your dog with a sense of security, a soothing sanctuary to help him relax. He should be able to feel as if he’s back cuddling with his littermates and his mother where he feels safe and warm. In addition to that, the bed should also be machine-washable and odor-resistant. These will help lessen your dog’s level of stress, especially if you need to wash his “safe space” frequently. The bed also needs to be durable and feature a non-slip bottom; slipping and sliding the bed across the floor when all he wants is to hide can make a stressed out dog even more anxious. This is especially true if your dog is a senior and suffering from mobility issues.
Of course, you can also consider getting one with a versatile and stylish design. If your budget permits, you can even get a high-end calming dog bed for your pooch. However, these are all secondary to your primary focus – a warm, comfortable place that your dog can always feel safe in.
Do calming beds work for dogs?
The simplest answer here is yes, they do. Anecdotal reports from pet parents show that calming beds have helped reduce any symptoms of anxiety that their dogs are experiencing. However, at the moment, there is no scientific evidence yet to back these claims. In addition, dog experts believe that the use of these beds alone is not enough to treat the problem. Other methods should also be used in combination with the bed in order to properly address your dog’s anxiety. These include giving him plenty of exercise, training him to relax before bed, and getting proper advice from the vet. In short, a calming bed is a great tool that you can use in combination with other tools to help relieve your pup of anxiety.
Do dog beds help with anxiety?
Having a comfortable pet bed of his own can give any dog a sense of security and comfort. It’s his safe place, after all. That being said, not all dog beds can help calm down an anxious dog. The key to reducing symptoms of anxiety in a pooch is in the design. Anti-anxiety beds are all about creating a sleeping sanctuary, full of warmth and comfort. This is why they feature raised edges to create a nest-like feel, a place where they can curl up and relax. They typically feature really soft, cozy material that mimic fur like Sherpa which reminds dogs of the times they used to sleep beside their littermates and Mama. Some calming dog beds feature a “cave” for burrowers. For large dogs, bolsters can make them feel protected and safe.