Cat repellents can help cat owners keep their kitties away from spaces in the home where they’re not permitted and ensure they don’t damage furniture or plants. If you’re currently dealing with feral or neighborhood cats entering your property, an outdoor cat repellent can discourage them from entering your yard. Cat repellents are available in a variety of forms including indoor and outdoor sprays, repellent mats, furniture pads, motion-activated devices, and ultrasonic options.
If you’re ready to find the best cat repellent to match your specific needs, continue reading. We researched and tested some of the top products on the market and narrowed down our selections to the repellents featured below.
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
Reading a product’s listing can tell you something about how it should work, but actually testing the product and seeing the results is something entirely different. Before writing this review, we purchased and tested several cat repellents to see how they would work at keeping our cats out of specific rooms in our home, off furniture pieces, and away from outdoor spaces. The top-performing products are featured below, but here are a few additional observations we made for each product:
- PetSafe SSSCAT Motion Activated Spray Cat Deterrent: Our cats definitely don’t like the sound this spray deterrent makes and it has helped to keep them away from furniture and other areas we don’t want them in. However, the spray can seemed to get empty quickly, which can make this an expensive option with all the replacements you’ll need to order.
- Homarden Cat Scat Mat: We liked that we could customize the size of these mats by cutting them down to fit our exact needs. We also found that our cats really didn’t like the texture and stayed away from the areas we used them. However, we found that using them on flat and smooth surfaces, such as counters or hardwood floors, wasn’t ideal because the mats will slide around too much.
- Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller: One of our friends was complaining about feral cats entering her property, so we tried this ultrasonic repeller in her yard. Overall, it was quite effective at keeping cats away from areas close to the device, but not always as effective for other areas of the yard.
The Top Picks for the Best Cat Repellent: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Cat Repellent: PetSafe SSSCAT Motion Activated Spray Cat Deterrent
- PROTECT FURNITURE: Place SSSCAT Spray Deterrent on countertops, next to the trash can or near rooms to keep curious pets out of certain areas of your home
- MOTION-ACTIVATED: When your pet is within 3 feet of the spray deterrent, the motion-activated sensor releases a quick burst of spray
- SAFE FOR PETS: This odorless and harmless spray is safe to use around your pets and does not leave any stains or residue on your furniture
- REPLACEMENT CAN AVAILABLE: Each can of spray deterrent holds approximately 80-100 sprays; when your current can is out of spray, simply purchase a SSSCAT Replacement Can
- BATTERY OPERATED: Motion sensor requires 4 AAA batteries to operate (batteries not included)
The SSSCAT Motion Activated Spray System from PetSafe is our overall top pick. The reason we selected this as our favorite cat repellent is that we found it to be quite effective at keeping cats away from furniture or out of areas in the home where we didn’t want them to enter. The spray is motion-activated, so you simply need to place it at the entryway of the area you want cats to stay away from, and when they get within 3 feet of it, the sensor will release a spray.
The spraying sound will startle cats and help them learn that they shouldn’t enter that area in the home. No odor is released, so you don’t need to worry about the spray making your house smell. It is also completely safe for pets and doesn’t leave a residue on furniture or carpets.
The motion sensor is powered by four AAA batteries. This makes it easy to replace the batteries when needed, and you won’t need to seek out any special types of batteries. The included can of spray provides between 80 and 100 sprays. Replacement cans are available through PetSafe when needed.
Click here to check out PetSafe SSSCAT Motion Activated Spray Cat Deterrent on amazon.com
Best for Outdoor Use: Homarden Cat Scat Mat
- SCAT MAT FOR CATS SET OF 10 - each cat mat is 16" x 13" with 1" spikes, all together covering 13 ft
- FLEXIBLE MATERIAL - this cat repellent outdoor can be wrapped around poles or trees, and can be easily cut to adapt to any surface
- NON TOXIC- made with high quality pp, this cat repellant and scat mats for dogs is heat resistant and has a breathable pattern to keep plants safe
- HUMANE SOLUTION- cat scratch deterrent and dog digging repellent that will not harm your furry friends
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR - can be used as cat repellent indoor or dog repellent for indoor furniture (keep cats & keep dogs away and off couch protector)
If you have an outdoor garden or another small area you want to keep your cats or other neighborhood cats away from, consider trying the Homarden Cat Scat Mat. These mats feature a spiky texture that cats won’t want to walk on or touch with their paws, so they can help keep kitties away from objects and spaces you don’t want them by.
Each mat is made using high-quality, non-toxic materials that won’t endanger your cat. While the spiky texture is unpleasant for cats, it is not sharp enough to actually injure them.
The mats are flexible, so in addition to placing them flat in front of spaces, such as a garden, you can also wrap them around objects that you don’t want cats to scratch. They can be used indoors and outdoors, so you could wrap them around trees, table legs, and other items.
This pack includes 10 Scat Mats. Each mat is 16 inches long and 13 inches wide.
Click here to check out Homarden Cat Scat Mat on amazon.com
Best Ultrasonic: Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller
- Solar Powered & Waterproof : Charged by solar energy in the sun, IPX4 level waterproof, allowing you to drive away the stolen animals anytime anywhere economical and convenience.
- Ultrasonic Sounds : Repel and intimidate nasty animals or pests by emitting powerful ultrasonic wave, away from our farms, gardens, orchards, lawns and front yards.
- Larger Coverage Protection : Dual speaker design with extended degree for emitting sonic wave, acoustic coverage of up to 5000sq.ft. As long as animals close to within 30ft animal repeller ultrasonic will be activated by motion sensor.
- Easy To Install & Use : Just insert Solar animal repeller ultrasonic into ground soil or put up where there is plenty of sun light and switch it on. Then you can have an without animals environment.
- No animal death and no chemical stimulation, just scare away animals, this is the most humane approach. You can use solar animal repeller to cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, deer, squirrels, raccoons, voles, etc.
If you want to keep your yard free of neighborhood- or feral cats, consider giving the Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller a try. This is a solar-powered device that emits ultrasonic sounds that are unpleasant to cats. When cats hear the sounds, they’ll stay away from your property.
The device has a dual-speak design that can cover up to 5000 square feet of space. It uses a motion sensor that will initiate the sounds whenever a cat is within 30 feet of the device.
This device is waterproof, so it will continue working even in the rain. In addition to keeping cats away from your property, it can also keep your yard clear of other animals including dogs, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, deer, mice, and skunks. However, it isn’t the best option for pet owners, since it may scare the pets you own and want in your yard.
Click here to check out Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller on amazon.com
The Different Types of Cat Repellents: Pros and Cons Compared
|Give off a scent that cats don’t like||Sprays will require a more frequent application for owners|
|Available for indoor and outdoor use||The louder sounds of the motion-activated sprays may be an annoyance for others in the home|
|Some are motion activated to startle cats and help them learn not to enter a specific area|
|Most are formulated using cat-safe ingredients|
|Cats don’t like the spiky texture||Not a good solution for an entire yard|
|Doesn’t actually harm cats, just feels uncomfortable||Can look like a bit of an eyesore|
|Most are made with non-toxic materials|
|Many are solar-powered||Not a good choice if you are only looking at keeping cats away from a small area of your yard|
|Cats don’t like the noises they make and will stay away||Not good for dog owners|
|Can also clear your yard of other pests|
|No chemicals needed|
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Cat Repellent: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the most effective cat repellent?
The most effective cat repellent will vary based on your need. For example, some cat repellents are designed for indoor use, while others are more suited for outdoor use. The right repellent can also vary depending on whether you are trying to keep cats away from an entire space, or just a specific item like a piece of furniture or a plant.
The PetSafe SSSCAT Motion Activated Spray Cat Deterrent was our favorite cat repellent, but we also liked the Homarden Cat Scat Mat and Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller.
What is the best cat repellent for outside?
We think the Homarden Cat Scat Mat is the best cat repellent for the outside. This spiky mat can be placed around areas that you don’t want a cat to access to keep them away. If you’re looking for an outdoor repellent to keep cats off of your entire property, we’d suggest investing in an ultrasonic device like the Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller.
What is the best feral cat repellent?
If feral cats have been entering your property and you wish to keep them away, we’d suggest trying the Lubatis Ultrasonic Animal Repeller. You can also try the Homarden Cat Scat Mat if there are just a few areas of your property you want to keep them away from.
Are cat repellents harmful to humans?
Most cat repellents are designed to be safe for humans as well as cats. Sprays to keep cats away are not poisonous, they are simply formulated to smell very unappealing to cats to make a particular area or piece of furniture less appealing. You can also consider making your own natural, homemade spray as well.
How do you make a homemade cat repellent?
There are many natural ingredients and textures that cats do not like the smell of. You can try some of these to make your own homemade cat repellent. These natural ingredients and other DIY solutions include:
Apple cider vinegar
Citrus fruits and citrus-scented sprays
Cayenne pepper, dry mustard, cinnamon, garlic, and lemon essential oil mixed together
Flipping carpet runners or area rugs upside down