Imagine hunching over your plate as you eat your dinner. It’s probably not going to be the most comfortable position. Of course, that’s not to say that your dog is uncomfortable eating and drinking from his bowls on the kitchen floor. Most dogs probably aren’t. But some, like those who have arthritis, joint disorders, and mobility issues, it’s probably even harder. That’s where dog bowl stands come in. These are stands that allow you to raise your pet’s bowls above the floor to a more comfortable height.
Aside from providing comfort, elevated food bowls slow down your pet’s pace of eating and help prevent a mess from happening. He certainly won’t be chasing after a bowl across the kitchen floor if he’s eating off a raised bowl. Moreover, elevated food bowls can prevent your dog from attempting to play with the water in his bowl.
What to Look for in a Dog Bowl Stand:
Obviously, not all dog bowl stands are created equal. So, how do you choose the one that suits your pooch best? Below are some key features that you need to consider.
Dogs come in a range of heights and so do dog bowl stands. If you want to make sure your dog benefits from the stand, you’ll need to make sure that the height is right. It defeats the purpose of getting a raised bowl if its height is too low. If it’s too high, then it will cause unnecessary strain on your dog’s neck and joints.
According to the experts, you can get the correct height by measuring from the floor to the point where your dog’s legs meet his chest. Alternatively, you can measure from the floor to your pet’s shoulder and subtract 3 or 6 inches, depending on your pet’s size. If you’re not sure about what the right height is for your pooch or if your pup is still growing, we recommend you get a dog bowl stand that has an adjustable height.
Aside from the height of the stand, it’s important that you also consider the features of the bowl. The size of the bowl should be large enough to accommodate the amount of food that your pooch regularly consumes. The shape of the bowl should accommodate the size of your dog and the length of his snout. Flat-faced dogs need a shallow bowl while dogs with long snouts need a deeper bowl.
In addition, you need to consider the number of bowls that the stand can hold. Dogs need a constant source of water which means you might want to consider a dog bowl stand that comes with two bowls or can hold two instead of just one. Take note that if you prefer to use what you already have, you may have difficulty finding models without bowls. That’s not to say that you should do away with your dog’s old bowls. We recommend choosing one that has the same measurements as your own bowls and just switches them out.
Whether you’re buying a regular dog bowl or one that’s elevated, you always need to consider how easy it is to clean. If your dog bowl stand comes with bowls, you should make sure that they can be removed for easier cleaning. Bowls that are dishwasher-safe such as stainless steel ones are best. Not only are they convenient, the material is not conducive for bacteria growth.
Of course, when it comes to maintenance, you also need to consider the stand itself. Is it easy to clean? Plastic stands are easy to wipe clean. The same can be said for stands made out of metal. As for wooden stands, you need to make sure that the material has a waterproof sealant to prevent any food or liquid from being absorbed into the wood.
Some dogs can be incredibly enthusiastic when they’re hungry. The best dog bowl stand is one that won’t skid across the floor or get knocked over while your dog is munching on his food. Look for a stand that’s not only durable, but features non-slip feet that will keep it in place at all times.
The Top Picks for Best Dog Bowl Stand: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Dog Bowl Stand: Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Dog Bowls
- IDEAL FOR ALL LIFE STAGES: Designer Diner is an elevated dog bowl, dog water bowl, and pet feeder for all life stages. Our raised dog bowls and dog bowl stand adjust to 12" elevated dog bowls for large dogs, 8" elevated dog bowls medium sized dogs & 2.75" small dog bowls.
- COLLAPSIBLE & VERSATILE: When not in use, the legs can be easily removed and tucked under the feeding platform for easy storage, making these perfect collapsible dog bowls. When needed, set up the pet feeder and then put it away for a neater feeder & clutter-free space.
- HEALTHY DINING EXPERIENCE: Our elevated dog bowls for dog food and dog water bowls provides a healthy feeding position that can help aid in digestion.
- REDUCE JOINT STRESS: Using raised dog bowls helps to reduce stress on joints and bones – this makes our elevated dog bowls and dog feeder perfect for more mature dogs and is an ideal raised dog bowl for large dogs.
- RUST RESISTANT AND EASY TO CLEAN: The Designer Diner includes two stainless steel dog bowls that are rust-resistant and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.. Great alternative to traditional ceramic dog food bowls and dog water bowls.
Based on numerous tests and our dogs’ feeding behaviors, our pick for best overall dog bowl stand would have to be the Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Dog Bowls. It’s one you can use for puppies and small dogs. It’s also suitable for large dogs such as Great Danes. That’s because the stand can be adjusted to three different heights: 2.75 inches, 8 inches, and 12 inches. Our dogs – one German Shepherd and one Shih Tzu – didn’t seem to be bothered by their new elevated bowls.
We also noticed that the stand featured non-slip pads to prevent the entire thing from getting knocked over by one of our hungry “testers.” We did note that the pads were not enough to stop the stand from getting a bit wobbly when at the tallest height. But when placed against the wall, that wobble didn’t matter anymore. If the legs were bolted, it might prevent the slight wiggle. But we appreciated the fact that we could fold up the legs if we needed to store it away or if we wanted to take it with us while you travel with your pooch on the open road.
The stainless steel bowls felt sturdy and could hold up to 5 cups of water and food without spilling over. We didn’t have a problem cleaning it at all. We could do it by hand or throw it in the dishwasher. Now, if you prefer to get one without bowls because you already have some, you can still get this model. As long as you have the same measurements, you can easily switch out the new bowls with your old ones. Then keep the new ones stored away as backup. At this price, it’s already a bargain!
The only thing lacking is that the stand doesn’t come with storage. But that’s not a big deal. For home use, the Pet Zone Designer Diner is simply the best there is.
Click here to check out Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Dog Bowls at Amazon.com.
#2 Best Dog Bowl Stand for Large Dogs: Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder
- Includes elevated stand with two x-large (10 cup/80 oz) bowls
- Ideal size for: giant dog breeds (Great Danes, Bullmastiffs, Great Pyrenees, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Newfoundlands, etc.)
- #1 selling powder coated, nontoxic, stainless steel pet bowl
- Elevated stand eases strain on pet's back, neck, spine, and hips
- Chip, rust & fade resistant bowls with removable rattle-free rim
While the Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder comes in 5 sizes, we recommend it specifically for large dogs such as Malamutes, Great Danes, Mastiffs, and Saint Bernards. The XL is ideal for pets that are 24 inches tall or higher.
Now, when we first came across this dog bowl stand, we have to admit that it didn’t seem sturdy. Looked like a big bull of a dog could easily knock it down. But the entire stand is made of metal including the bowls themselves. Everything is powder-coated – the wrought iron stand and stainless steel bowls, offering you 18 colors to choose from. They can easily fit in a modern kitchen. The legs of the stand feature rubber covers to prevent any scratches on your floors.
The bowls are dishwasher-safe and feature a silicone rim that prevents them from rattling even when your pooch is overly eager while eating. We found the entire dog bowl stand quite durable. Plus, a single bowl can easily hold up to 10 cups of water which means you won’t need to refill it frequently.
As for the cost, the Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder is a bit on the pricier side. However, it’s not expensive enough that it would break anyone’s budget. All in all, this is a great buy for pet parents with large breeds at home.
Click here to check out Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder at Amazon.com.
#3 Best Dog Bowl Stand for Small Dogs: Neater Feeder Express Elevated Dog Bowls
- MESS PROOF — Spilled food is separated and contained at the top, while spilled water drains into the catch basin below to keep your feeding area neat and clean.
- MADE FOR SMALL DOGS — Designed for small dogs up to 9" at shoulder & up to 18 lbs in weight. DISCLAIMER: Neater Feeder Express is NOT compatible with any Leg Extensions.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING — Spills and messes are completely contained within the feeder, saving you time cleaning floors and walls.
- DISHWASHER SAFE — All parts of the feeder including dog bowls as well as top and bottom basins are 100% dishwasher safe. The Neater Feeder is Made in the USA. The stainless steel bowls are made in India.
- RUBBER FEET — Comes equipped with non-skid rubber feet on the bottom of each leg to prevent sliding.
If you’re looking for a dog bowl stand for small dogs, then we recommend the Neater Feeder Express Elevated Dog Bowls. It’s everything you’ll want for your pooch. It comes with two stainless steel bowls that can fit 1.5 cups of food and water. The “feeding level” is at 2.75 inches which makes it perfect for puppies and dogs that weigh no more than 18lbs like Chihuahuas and Yorkies.
When we tried it with our favorite Shih Tzu, we found it to be the perfect height. Even better, our “tester” can be quite a messy eater which made us appreciate the mess-proof features of this stand. It comes with a 2-inch high splash guard to keep any messes inside the feeder. There’s also a basin that catches any water spilled; there’s a drain built in the top basin. This keeps any spilled food separate and easier to clean.
Speaking of cleaning, all parts of the Neater Feeder are dishwasher-safe. No muss, no fuss for pet parents who are always on the go. More importantly, there’s no mess to clean up. Your floors remain spic and span even during feeding time. Even when your pooch starts playing with his water. In fact, if you’re not into elevated bowls, this model is still a good purchase because it keeps messes contained. It’s budget-friendly too. You definitely won’t regret this purchase.
Click here to check out Neater Feeder Express Elevated Dog Bowls at Amazon.com.
#4 Best Dog Bowl Stand for Flat-Faced Dogs: FOREYY Set of 2 Raised Pet Bowls
- Two Single dog dish design, Tilted and flat - two modes available. Many cats also don't like their water to smell like their food, which can happen if the water and food bowls are too close together. Owning this raised dog bowls, you can place the 2 dishes separately,or two rooms. Tilted and flat,you can choose the mode that best suits your pet(2 flat,2 tilted, or 1 tilted &1 flat).
- Keeps Cleaner And Easy To Clean. Using this elevated pet feeders keeps the feeding area cleaner which is essential to a sanitary life. No more getting down on your hands and knees to scrub the feeding area clean. Instead, you simply wipe the surface of the feeder table clean.
- Swallowing Easily. This elevated dog dish provide ease of access to food and water which can help facilitate movement of food when traveling from the mouth to the stomach. Increases Anti-slip feet on bowl insets which eliminated the impact sound when pets are eating.
- 3 Premium Quality Stainless Steel Bowls Included. The stainless steel has been the material of choice for food processing industries. It is durable, sanitary, rust-free, non-leaching and dishwasher safe. The dog feeders elevated with anti slip feet make it stable and does not slide easily, it prevent your pet from sliding bowls around and provide protection for your floor.
- Including:2 Single bamboo stand, customer could assemble into 2 flat or 2 tilted, or 1 tilted & 1 flat.2 stainless steel bowls(6.2 inch diameter and 2 inch height, each bowl hold maximum: 2.5 cup dry food or 20 oz water) and 1 stainless steel plate(6.2 inch diameter and 1.1 inch height, hold maximum: 1.25 cup dry food). Simple assemble needed for this raised dog bowls.
For flat-faced dogs, not just any bowls will do. Because of the shape of their face, these dogs are prone to choking and breathing issues. A traditional bowl isn’t good for them. Aside from having difficulty eating, the chances of them choking on their food increases. Plus, this can result in excessive gassiness. So, if you want your flat-faced pooch safe and comfortable, you’ll need something special: the FOREYY Set of 2 Raised Pet Bowls.
Now, unlike most other dog bowl stands we’ve come across, this one features a single bowl per stand. One is a regular stainless steel bowl that you can fill with water. The other is a slanted one that will hold your dog’s food. In addition, you get a stainless plate. The stands are both made out of bamboo for durability and sustainability.
When we tested the product with a friend’s pug, we found that she was able to eat more easily and created less of a mess trying to get that last piece of kibble. The bowls didn’t clatter because there were anti-slip feet installed on the bowl insets to keep them in place. The bottom of the stands also featured the same to prevent them from sliding across the door.
Having separate stands also made it easier for us to do refills since we could just get one stand that needed refilling and leave the other on the floor. It also prevented any food or water flying into each other’s bowls.
Of course, it definitely didn’t hurt that these stands look really good. The only drawback to this product is that it doesn’t have a taller version for big dogs.
Click here to check out FOREYY Set of 2 Raised Pet Bowls at Amazon.com.
#5 Best Dog Bowl Stand with Storage: Store-N-Feed Adjustable Raised Dog Bowl
- CONVENIENT FOOD STORAGE: Easily access your dog’s dry food. The storage compartment holds up to 15 lbs. of dry dog food.
- REDUCES JOINT STRESS: Veterinarians recommend elevated dog feeders to reduce stress on joints that may lead to osteoarthritis and to improve overall physical posture. This makes our elevated feeders perfect for more mature dogs.
- ADJUSTABLE FEEDER & HEALTHY DINING EXPERIENCE: Raised Feeders provide a healthy feeding position that helps aid and promote healthy digestion. The Store-N-Feed is adjustable, to provide different heights for different size dogs. Adjusts from 8” to 12”.
- PETS STAY HYDRATED: The Store-N-Feed features a unique self-watering system. By just removing one of the stainless-steel bowls and attaching any two-liter water bottle. Keeps water fresh and the spill ridge keeps food and water off the floor.
- RUST RESISTANT AND EASY TO CLEAN: The Store-N-Feed elevated feeder includes two stainless-steel, rust-resistant bowls that are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and maintenance.
When you have limited space, it pays to have multipurpose items at home such as a raised dog bowl with storage. This way, you can feed your dog and keep his kibble fresh all in one place. And our pick for this kind of dog bowl stand is the Store-N-Feed Adjustable Raised Dog Bowl.
This dog bowl stand looks pretty simple. There are two stainless steel bowls that can hold up to 6.75 cups of food. The storage below it can store up to 15 lbs of dry dog food. And there’s even a self-watering system that allows you to attach a two-liter water bottle that keeps your dog hydrated all day long.
The Store-N-Feed has an adjustable height – from 8 inches to 12 inches, allowing you to use this dog bowl stand for small and big dogs. We loved that the storage was completely sealed. The water didn’t seep through the plastic in any way. And we didn’t have a problem keeping it clean.
But what makes us love this dog bowl stand so much is the fact that you can use it when you travel. It’s lightweight and allows you to take them anywhere. There’s no need to pack several bowls along with a bag of kibble for your next trip with the family. Everything you need is just in one container.
If you think this feeder is too big for your pooch, there’s also a Store-N-Feed Jr. available. And if you just want a bowl for your dog’s food, then you can get their Single Adjustable Feeder which has three heights – 8″, 10″, and 12″ – and can store up to 6lbs of dry food.
Click here to check out Store-N-Feed Adjustable Raised Dog Bowl at Amazon.com.
Last update on 2021-07-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Dog Bowl Stand: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Should dog bowls be elevated?
The benefits and drawbacks of using a dog bowl stand is still up for debate. It can certainly make food and water more accessible to your pet. And there’s no question that dogs with certain issues such as arthritis and joint disorders will feel more comfortable feeding from raised bowls. However, there is some evidence that suggests certain breeds may be more likely to develop bloat when using a raised bowl. We recommend that you consult with your vet before buying a dog bowl stand.
How high should a dog bowl be elevated?
Dog bowl stands come in various heights. While some are adjustable, there are models that are not. If you want to ensure your dog’s comfort, you’ll need to make sure you get the correct height. And to do that, you’ll need to do some measuring.
To get the perfect height, you’ll need to get your pooch to stand straight. Measure from the floor up to where your dog’s legs meet his chest. That number should be the perfect height of your dog bowl stand.
You can also get the correct height by measuring from the floor all the way up to his shoulder. Then, for large dogs like Great Danes, subtract 6 inches from that measurement to get the right height. For small dogs, subtract only 3 inches.
What is the best raised dog bowl?
The overall best raised dog bowl is one that suits all of your and your dog’s needs. It should be:
- at the correct height to provide easy and comfortable access.
- big enough to hold your dog’s food.
- easy to clean.
- stable, not easily knocked over.
The bowl should also meet your dog’s special needs, if any. For flat-faced dogs, that means a tilted bowl for easier access. If your pup is still growing, you’ll want something adjustable, something that can “grow” with him.
In addition, this dog bowl stand should meet your requirements such as budget. You might want something with storage if you plan to travel with your pooch. Maybe you only need a stand with a single bowl or a model that is sold without bowls. Whatever the case may be, the best raised dog bowl for your household is one that makes both you and your dog happy.