Keep your pooch cool during the dog days of summer with a bit of water play. Most dogs love splashing about in a pool. Who can blame them? We also love lounging in the water to beat the summer heat. However, there are some dogs who prefer playing with water from a sprinkler. Of course, it’s not just your dog who’ll benefit from having a sprinkler in the yard. It’s a good way for you to keep cool without swimming in the same water as your pooch. Your kids (if you have any) would love to have some water fun with a sprinkler as well. Plus, you don’t end up wasting any water because your lawn gets a “drink” too.
Now, when it comes to dog sprinklers, there are several types that you can choose from. There’s the regular type of sprinkler that you’d find in most lawns. You can get a sprinkler mat or a paw-activated water fountain. And then there are the water toy sprinklers specifically made for the enjoyment of kids and dogs alike. The question you need to ask is, which dog sprinkler is best for you and your pet?
What to Consider When Buying a Dog Sprinkler
Obviously, you plan to use the dog sprinkler to provide your pooch with some water fun. But you might want to consider what other features you want your sprinkler to have. A splash pad, for example, provides your dog with a pool to wade in. A step-on water fountain is more interactive, teaching your dog a new trick while keeping him hydrated. A toy sprinkler is typically not as strong as a regular sprinkler but can have special features like splashy strands or a fire hydrant design.
Ease of Use
Look for a dog sprinkler that’s easy to set up and put away once your pooch is done playing. There are dog sprinklers such as the paw-activated water fountain that just need to be attached to a hose before it’s ready for use. The sprinkler mat and similar models will need to be unfolded, attached to the hose, and let the water inflate the outer ring before it’s ready. Once your dog is done playing, you’ll need to drain the water and dry it out before it can be stored away.
Dogs can get quite excited when they’re playing with water. It’s not uncommon for them to start biting or chewing on a sprinkler. You need to look for a dog sprinkler that will be able to withstand your pet’s enthusiasm. If you’re getting a splash pad, it’s important that you find one that’s puncture-proof. All that splashing around can scratch the bottom of the pool or even the inflatable outer ring. You need to look for one that’s made of thick, industrial-strength PVC.
If you want to be able to take the dog sprinkler with you when you’re on vacation or even just visiting a friend’s house, you need to think about portability. Some water toys come with their own carry bags, while others won’t take up much space in the trunk of your car.
The Top Picks for Best Dog Sprinkler: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Dog Sprinkler: Peteast Splash Sprinkler Pad for Dogs
- NOTE: Please TRIM your dogs' nails before using the mat. Adjust the water spray direction by adjusting the water pressure. The product is packed in recyclable plastic bags.
- 2021 New Sprinkler Pool -A best sprinkler pool for your furry friend, letting them enjoy a moment of cool down during those hot summer days. This product allows you to enjoy the warm moment with your lovely pets, which is suitable for dogs, cats, and other pets.
- Best Sprinklers for Dogs - Made of environmentally friendly PVC material, free of BPA and phthalates, the package includes - Sprinkler Pool, Water Pipe Connector, which must be the perfect summer gift for your pets.
- Easy to Set Up - Just plug the water mat sprinkler to a garden hose or PVC tubing, and simply adjust water pressure to lower or heighten the spray height. Easy fun water play in summer.
- Easy to Carry & Store - This splash pool can be folded up, easy to transport, easy to store and you can bring it with you and your dog/pets everywhere.
Our pick for best overall dog sprinkler is the Peteast Splash Sprinkler Pad for Dogs. This splash pad is, in our dog’s opinion, the best of both worlds. It features a wading pool and sprinklers. The Peteast sprinkler mat is made of non-toxic, BPA-free, phthalate-free, high quality PVC material. It’s 100% safe for your dogs to use. The bottom of the mat is 0.5mm thick which prevents it from getting easily scratched and causing a leak. An inflatable ring surrounds the pad, allowing the center to fill up with water. The same outer ring features holes that act as sprinklers.
We definitely loved hanging out in this mini-pool. Our pooch had a grand time catching the water from the sprinklers while one of our staff cooled off in the pool of water. We could easily increase or decrease the height of the water by adjusting the water pressure.
This splash pad is available in three sizes – small, medium, and large. It can easily accommodate breeds of all sizes, even one as big as a Leonberger and a Rottweiler. The only drawback to this toy sprinkler is that it’s a bit pricey compared to others we’ve come across. But for durability, ease of use, and level of entertainment, we think it’s well worth the price.
Click here to check out Peteast Splash Sprinkler Pad for Dogs at Amazon.com.
#2 Best Paw-Activated Dog Sprinkler: Trio Gato Happy Dog Pet Water Fountain
- UNLIMITED CLEAN WATER ON DEMAND FOR DRINK OR PLAY by top-dog quality water fountain for dogs.
- “SELF-SERVICE” OPERATION: no more dog water bowls to clean or fill; fast installation.
- PREMIUM QUALITY BUILD: We designed this water fountain for dogs with heavy gauge steel to guarantee its strength and durability. It also has a leak-proof copper valve and rubber friction pads to minimize movement when in use.
- EASY ACTIVATION AND TRAINING: Step-on dog fountain quickly trains your dog to step up on paw-design pedal.
- BONUS CONNECTORS, EASY SET UP; Setting up this doggie water fountain outside requires absolutely no specialized skill. Every purchase comes with a bonus: A 2-way Y hose connector that let you easily connect this pet water fountain to your water connection! Adjusting water pressure is done easily using the control valve on it.
If splashing around is not your pet’s favorite water activity, then he might be more interested in this interactive “water toy” – the Trio Gato Happy Dog Pet Water Fountain.
Now, the main purpose of this step-on sprinkler is to provide your pooch with fresh and flowing water whenever he’s outside. Dogs don’t sweat like we do and they need access to plenty of clean water to keep themselves cool and hydrated. But this water fountain can also provide some decent water play for your pet. It’s much safer too.
What do we mean? Sprinklers are great and all, but they can cause dogs to drink too much water while they’re playing. This can lead to water intoxication where the balance of electrolytes in your pup’s body gets disrupted. Water intoxication can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, brain damage, and even death.
With a step-on sprinkler, your dog won’t be able to access too much water. Anytime he steps off the device, the water stops. While there’s less splashing with a water fountain, it’s also much safer and conserves more water.
So, why do we love this particular paw-activated water toy? Obviously, there are health and environmental benefits to using such a device. But we also loved how easy this was to use. We just needed to attach it to the hose, adjust the water pressure accordingly, and let the dog play.
The device itself was quite hefty in our hand. It features a copper valve that prevents water from leaking. The fountain was made of heavy gauge steel for extra durability. The rubber friction pads underneath the device prevented it from moving while our dog was pressing down on it. We were able to quickly train our pet on how to use the water fountain (around 15 minutes). And he had a blast putting his paw on it and seeing the water shoot out.
Click here to check out Trio Gato Happy Dog Pet Water Fountain at Amazon.com.
#3 Best Budget Dog Sprinkler: Kids Sprinkler Fire Hydrant
- Spins and sprays water everywhere!
- Splashes water up to 8 Feet!
- Attatch to any Garden Hose.
- Splashy Stands around 8" Tall.
Some pet parents are unsure about how their dog will feel about a sprinkler. Not all dogs love water, after all. Of course, your pup still deserves a fun way to cool down during summer. And what better way to entice them to play with water than with the Kids Sprinkler Fire Hydrant?
Yes, this is a water toy for kids, but it can be used by dogs too. The fire hydrant design is cute. Our pooch seemed to love it. He loved it even more when we hooked it up to the hose and let it run. At full water pressure, the water shot up really high – around 8 to 9 feet. We were quite surprised at how powerful it was considering this sprinkler is awfully small (less than 9 inches tall) and made of light plastic.
While on, the top of the hydrant would spin, splashing water all around. It would sometimes fall down, but it wasn’t a big deal. We could easily stand it upright and get a bit of a cool off while doing so. We made sure to use this a few times to see how well it would hold up. We’re happy to report that it did pretty well.
As we’ve mentioned before, not all dogs will like to play with a sprinkler. But with this toy, we felt the risk was worth it. The fire hydrant only costs $12.99 which won’t put a hole in anyone’s wallet. More importantly, you can always lower the water pressure to slowly introduce your pup to the sprinkler. And given time, we’re pretty sure he’s going to love it.
Click here to check out Kids Sprinkler Fire Hydrant at Amazon.com.
#4 Best Dog Toy Sprinkler: Tidal Storm Hydro Swirl Spinning Sprinkler
- BACKYARD WATER PARK - Turn your backyard into an oasis this summer! Children and kids ages 4+ will enjoy hours of splashing sprinkler fun all while watering the lawn at the same time! This swirling sprinkler allows kids to twirl the toy to give it a super spin water whirl around the yard.
- ENTERTAINS KIDS OF ALL AGES FOR HOURS - The whole family and even the family dog can cool off and enjoy the spinning water sprinkler as the wiggle tubes spray and twirl! Great for gifts, birthday parties or neighborhood gatherings. Throw a great summer backyard water party for the neighborhood with this fun sprinkler for kids.
- EASY TO USE & LIGHTWEIGHT - The Tidal Storm Hydro Twirl water sprinkler is easy to use allowing for longer hours of playtime in the summer heat. Just connect to any standard garden hose. Simply connect the hydro-powered spinning dome to a standard garden hose and let its six Tidal Storm wiggle tubes spin swirling geysers of water high and wide for kids to dodge, dance around, and run through.
- A MUST-HAVE WATER TOY FOR SUMMER! - Don’t miss out with this award-winning summer toy twirling water sprinkler this summer that everyone can enjoy!
If you want to transform your backyard into a dog water park, there’s no other sprinkler better than the Tidal Storm Hydro Swirl Spinning Sprinkler. This is a spinning water sprinkler that features six wiggle tubes that spray and twirl, creating swirls of water to shoot out into the air.
This hydro-powered spinning dome is easy to hook up to your standard hose. The radius of the water can reach up to around 15 feet at full water pressure. The height of the water is the same. It can easily be used to water your lawn while keeping your dog entertained. It certainly worked for us.
Now, we did notice that for dogs that love to nibble, be prepared to lose the wiggly tubes. But even without it, the sprinkler was still effective in providing our dog with lots of playtime. And while this is not an interactive toy, it did keep our dog active for at least 30 minutes. Take note, we were the ones to set that time limit in order to prevent him from drinking too much water. Our pup was still obsessed with this toy the next day. And the one after that. While it only cost us $15.99, its worth was priceless in our pup’s eyes.
Click here to check out Tidal Storm Hydro Swirl Spinning Sprinkler at Amazon.com.
Last update on 2021-07-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API