Just like baby wipes are a must-have for parents to have on hand, pet parents must always have dog wipes on hand whenever they’re taking their pooch on an adventure. That includes walks to the park, trips to the vet, visits to Grandma’s house, and vacations.
What are Dog Wipes?
Dog wipes, as the name suggests, are simply single-use or disposable cleaning cloths that are designed to be used specifically for our furry friends. While they might seem similar to baby wipes, these are typically not made with artificial fragrances, alcohol, or propylene glycol.
What are dog wipes for?
Like baby wipes, dog wipes are used to clean the various body parts of our pet pooch. It can be used to clean paws after a walk outside, so your dog won’t track in the dirt. It can also be used to clean behind their ears or wipe their behind after they went potty. Some wipes can even be used to treat skin conditions. It is especially useful when you have a new puppy, like an adorable new Alabai.
There are several different types of dog wipes available. Deodorized wipes are exactly what the name suggests – they make your dog smell better, removing their stink in between bathtimes. Hypoallergenic wipes are grooming wipes that are designed for dogs with sensitive skin and those with allergies.
Antifungal or antibacterial wipes are used to treat infections, sores, rashes, and the like. Last, but not least, are the grooming wipes which can be broken down into several different kinds – body wipes, ear wipes, eye wipes, and anal gland wipes.
What to Look for in Dog Wipes
There are several things you need to consider before buying dog wipes for your pooch.
You want to make sure that all the ingredients used in the wipes are safe for your dog. There should be no parabens or phthalates included because these can harm your pet. If the wipes are alcohol-based, your dog’s skin might get dry and irritated. Choose natural-based wipes whenever possible.
As we’ve mentioned, there are different kinds of dog wipes available. It’s important that you make sure you’re clear on what you plan to use the wipes for. There are all-purpose dog wipes that could be used in several different ways – cleaning spills, wiping paws, etc. Using general-purpose dog wipes on sensitive areas, however, may cause irritation or even harm them. There are wipes specifically made for cleaning eyes and there are ones for cleaning anal glands. Make sure you get the right wipes for your purpose.
Plenty of dog wipes come with a scent. This enables pet parents to remove any unpleasant odors from their dog’s fur. However, dogs have a really good sense of smell. And they might find some scents overpowering. In addition, dogs with sensitive skin or allergies like Boxers might find fragrances irritating.
Aside from getting your dog wipes right, it’s also important that you get bang for your buck. Plus, you never want to run out of wipes when it matters most. Look for dog wipes that maintain a good balance between quantity and price.
The Top Picks for Best Dog Wipes: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Dog Wipes: Pogi's Grooming Wipes
- Conditioning Ingredients - Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi help clean, freshen and condition while giving the coat a healthy shine. Perfect for wiping away dirt and odor from paws, bodies, and bums in between baths.
- Large Pet Wipes (8 x 9 inches) - Our quilted dog wipes are made big enough for even the largest dogs, and thick enough for the heaviest coats.
- Earth-Friendly - Made with 100% sustainably harvested bamboo fiber.
- Hypoallergenic - Completely free of parabens, alcohol, and harsh chemicals.
- Super Pack - 100 Unscented Fresh Wipes for Dogs - 1 Month Supply
There are undoubtedly plenty of dog wipes in the market for pet parents to choose from. But there can only be one that is best overall. And based on the variety of tests we conducted, that honor belongs to Pogi’s Grooming Wipes.
These wipes are made of 100% sustainably harvested bamboo fiber. They are free of alcohol, parabens, chlorine, and harsh chemicals. They do contain Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi which not only helps clean your pup, these ingredients also keep them smelling fresh and their coats shiny. Moreover, these wipes are hypoallergenic.
When we performed our tests, we used the wipes on our dog’s paws, body, and bum. Our dog didn’t seem bothered by the scent or the texture of the wipes. More importantly, we were able to clean various parts of his body thoroughly. Plus, we didn’t find any allergies on his skin.
The sheets are quite large – 8×9 inches. You can easily finish wiping your dog down with just a few wipes. But you also needn’t worry about running out of wipes. Pogi offers their wipes in various quantities – 100, 120, 240, and 400. You can even choose between scented (green tea) and unscented wipes. Take note that even the unscented wipes have a light fragrance due to the aloe vera and Hawaiian Awapuhi.
The only thing we didn’t like about Pogi’s Grooming Wipes is the flimsiness of the pack. The resealable tag doesn’t stick well. While this didn’t cause the wipes to dry out, we do recommend that you put them in a resealable container to make sure.
Click here to check out Pogi's Grooming Wipes
#2 Best Dental Dog Wipes: Petkin Plaque Toothwipes
- Petkin Dental Wipes for Dogs and Cats - these Petkin fresh mint plaque toothwipes help you say goodbye to stinky dog breath/cat breath. It's a super easy, convenient way to keep your furry friend’s teeth and gums healthy by wiping away daily residue and promote good oral hygiene. Contains 1 pack of 40 - 5 x 5 inch wipes
- Keep Your Pet's Teeth Clean and Healthy - these Petkins Pet Wipes are gentle enough to use everyday around your pet's teeth and gums to prevent plaque and tartar that can cause infection that lead to tooth decay. Natural, non-toxic, and safe wipes for dog teeth cleaning, cat teeth cleaning, and puppies/kittens over 6 weeks old
- Veterinarian Approved - easy to use cat and dog dental care in a wipe that is moistened with natural baking soda and mint flavor to gently clean while freshening their breath. Add these dog dental wipes/cat dental wipes to your dog grooming/cat grooming supply kit
- Easier to Manage than a Toothbrush - for those furry friends that are unable to brush their teeth or simply want to switch up their cleaning techniques, cat/dog dental wipes are a great solution. Leave your pet with a gorgeous grin and fresh breath for more enjoyable kisses (Fresh Mint Flavor)
- Safe, Convenient, Easy to Use Pet Dental Care - to use, just open the lid, pull out a wipe, wrap it around your index finger, and clean dirty spots off your pet’s mouth without water or rinsing—it’s just that easy! Resealable snap-lid canister keeps unused pet teeth wipes moist, ready for use, and ideal for at home and pet travel
Not all dogs love getting their teeth brushed. But they (and you) can’t afford to let their teeth remain dirty. So, to ensure your dog’s dental hygiene in between brush battles that have become few and far between, you’ll need to get a hold of dog dental wipes. And the best in the market is Petkin Plaque Toothwipes.
While there are plenty of dental wipes for dogs that are quite effective, many of them contain parabens that have the potential to harm your dog. Among the most effective, we finally found Petkin Plaque Toothwipes. It contains baking soda, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, and mint flavor.
Now, we must admit that our dog was not that enthusiastic about getting his teeth wiped. But with a bit of cuddling and a number of “such a good boy,” we were able to clean his teeth and gums quite thoroughly. And his breath did smell better afterward.
The wipes are fairly easy to use. We just wrapped one around our finger and started gently wiping his canines. The entire cleaning process takes just half a minute. You can even use the wipes daily to remove food particles in between meals and prevent plaque from building up. It can even help remove stains on your dog’s teeth.
However, the mint flavor isn’t to every dog’s liking. While our dog tolerated it, others do not. Moreover, it is a bit on the pricey side since you only get 40 wipes per container.
Click here to check out Petkin Plaque Toothwipes
#3 Best Dog Wipes for Cleaning Ears: Pet MD Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
- Advanced Veterinary Formula Designed to Gently Clean, Deodorize and Dry Your Pets Ears
- Gentle and Safe for Regular Use which Prevents Ear Infections, Reduces Wax Build Up and Removes Debris in and Around the Ear
- 100 Convenient, Alcohol Free, Soothing and Non-Irritating Disposable Ear Wipes for Dogs. For Dogs Over 12 Weeks Old
- Reduce Foul Ear Odor and Prevents Infection to Keeps Your Dog Happy and Healthy without Medication
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety
Now, Pogi’s Grooming Wipes is good for cleaning various parts of your dog’s body. We can definitely attest to that. But for times when your pooch is suffering from ear problems such as fungal and yeast infections, you’re going to need something else. Ear wipes, to be precise. And the best we’ve ever tested was Pet MD Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes.
These specialty dog wipes contain lactic and salicylic acid, both of which are natural ingredients that help fight infections. The aloe vera and eucalyptus oil, on the other hand, help soothe the skin and remove odors.
So, it took us a bit to look for a dog who often has ear infections. But we did and used these wipes to see if they would work. The circular shape of the pad as well as its thinness helped us wipe every nook and cranny of the dog’s ear. We did the routine once a week for several weeks and her pet parent-reported no infections during that time. Success!
The only thing we disliked about these wipes was how difficult they were able to get from the container. They’re very moist and tend to stick together. Also, please keep in mind that this is only for dogs at least 12 weeks old.
Click here to check out Pet MD Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
#4 Best Dog Wipes for Cleaning Eyes: Arava Pet Eye Wipes
- HEALTHY, TEAR-FREE EYES – Arava eye wipes gently and effectively remove any leaky discharge from your pet’s crusty “sleepy” eyes while preventing new tear stains before they start. Helps reduce inflammation caused by conjunctivitis and blepharitis.
- DOES NOT REMOVE EXISTING STAINS - Arava pet eye wipes prevent new tear stains and remove the gunk that can collect in the corner of your dog or cat’s eyes. In order to eliminate any existing tear stains, please use Arava Tear Stains Remover Solution.
- ALLERGY FREE– Arava pet eye wipes are effective on a wide variety of animals, including puppies, adult and senior dogs, kittens, cats, and even horse! The allergy free ingredients are good for pets with allergies
- MADE FOR SENSITIVE EYES – Arava pet wet wipes are made especially for cleaning around sensitive eyes and along furry cheeks to prevent tear stains. Fashioned to be soft, non-irritating and soothing, your pet will love them
- 30 DAYS RISK-FREE GUARANTEE – Arava has more than 20 years experience in pet care natural products. So order now and get a 100% risk-free guarantee!
Your dog’s ears aren’t the only ones that need regular cleaning and prevention from infections. Their eyes might need extra help too. If your pooch is suffering from infections around the eye area, you need special wipes to effectively clean the area and help treat the infection. Arava Pet Eye Wipes are our top choice for that.
These special wipes are made of natural ingredients such as Lion’s Tooth, Eyebright, Chamomile, and Aloe Vera. The wipes also contain vitamins and Dead Sea minerals. More importantly, they are free of alcohol and other harsh chemicals which could possibly harm your dog’s eyes.
Now, based on our testing, these wipes are great for cleaning around our dog’s eyes without irritating him. They softened the “eye boogers” rather quickly and didn’t seem to have irritated our friendly neighborhood Yorkie. It definitely made cleaning her eyes less painful for both of us. Also, using the wipes helped prevent infections as well as new tear stains. Though, we noted that it can’t do anything about old ones. You’ll just have to wait until the growth of new fur to see the change in appearance. And this will happen within a month or two.
The size of each wipe is 3.5″ x 5″ which was perfect for its purpose. Any bigger and it would have been wasteful. Speaking of waste, Arava offers a biodegradable option for those who are worried about generating more trash with every wipe.
Overall, we really liked how effective these wipes are for keeping our dog’s eyes clean and free from gunk. And how all the ingredients are natural and safe. What more could we ask for?
Click here to check out Arava Pet Eye Wipes
#5 Best Dog Wipes for Anal Glands: Glandex Hygienic Rear Wipes
- SUPPORTS ANAL GLAND HEALTH & PROPER HYGIENE - Convenient for daily hygiene can be use all over body on paws coat face ears & anal area. Great for dogs and cats, ages from puppy to kitten
- DEODORIZING & FRESH SCENT - Contains natural DeoPlex enzyme to help eliminate unpleasant anal gland odors. Glandex grooming supplies such as these deodorizer wipes are a must have!
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED - For anal gland odor & health used by professional groomers & vets after emptying anal glands. Papertowels and cleaner won't cut it with smelly anal gland problems or dirty dogs
- WITH ALOE VITAMIN E MOISTURIZERS & SKIN CONDITIONERS - To help soothe & restore the area, leaves your pet happy and healthy Made in USA
- ULTRA SOFT & DURABLE CLOTH - Gentle for sensitive areas yet tough enough for difficult odors & mess
Yes, there are wipes specifically made for the purpose of keeping your dog’s bum clean. And it’s easy to understand why. Your pooch, as talented as he is, is unable to clean his own butt after every poop. Now, just imagine him sitting down on your couch, bed, carpet, etc. So you see, wiping him down is key to a healthy, happy, germ-free life.
That’s where Glandex Hygienic Rear Wipes come in. It is specifically designed to clean anal glands and leave your pup’s bum smelling fresh. It contains DeoPlex which is a deodorizing agent as well as aloe vera, Vitamin E, and other moisturizers. It works wonders for dogs and even cats who have anal gland issues. But it also helps prevent them in dogs who do not.
In our testing, we found the wipes soft enough to not bother our dog while we did the wiping. It did have a bit of a strong scent, but not enough to bother us. And though we didn’t smell his anal glands (at least, not real close), we can report that there was no poopy smell or fish butt smell that we could detect after every poop session. Plus, we really liked the fact that the wipe didn’t tear as we were wiping. It would definitely be an awkward moment for our dog and ourselves should that have happened. So, yay!
The only thing that we didn’t like was the container. It did well keeping the wipes moist. But it was difficult to keep the lid closed with a bit of the next wipe peeking through the circle. So, we had to push the next wipe inside and close the lid, and then fishing it out when we need them. Not a dealbreaker, just inconvenient.
Click here to check out Glandex Hygienic Rear Wipes
#6 Best Compostable Dog Wipes: Earth Rated Dog Wipes
- ✅ 400 PLANT-BASED WIPES -- Save 16% with buying in bulk! Earth Rated lavender wipes measure 8x8, and are proudly USDA-Certified 99% biobased. Wash your dog's face, paw, foot, and tushie without leaving wet residue or funky smells. Compostable when finished to reduce the carbon pawprint!
- ✅ EVERYTHING you want in a dog wipe -- All natural shea butter, aloe, and chamomile keep fur soft and luxurious while smelling fresh. Fit for the most sensitive puppies. Free of sulfates, and alcohol so they're mild enough for daily use. 400ct is perfect if you have multiple pets and/or frequent the outdoors!
- ✅ GENTLE, YET DURABLE -- Not only are these wipes gentle and hypoallergenic...but ultra-durable, and able to stand up to sharp puppy nails. Daily use is most common, however, customers also love using our wipes for stressed out foster dogs, and post-surgery when regular baths are not an option.
- ✅ VERSATILE -- Love to take your furry friend on the go? Portable packaging allows for easy travel and keeps your wipes extra damp, even long after opening! The hard plastic snap closure makes it easy to pull out one wipe at a time, then sealed for maximum freshness.
- 💚 WHY EARTH RATED? We're a Canadian company with top-notch customer service, always ready to help! Plus all our products are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee! We work closely with animal shelters & rescues across North America donating as many bags as we can.
It’s hard to not feel guilty over all the dog wipes you use while grooming your dog. You probably use them even more if you regularly take him on walks outside. Those paws won’t clean themselves! To help you do your part for Mother Earth, you can go with compostable wipes instead of your go-to wipes.
The Earth Rated Dog Wipes are our pick in this category because their wipes are USDA-certified 99% biobased. It was also certified as compostable by OK compost HOME which means that these wipes are completely biodegradable even in your garden compost heap. In other words, the company doesn’t just claim they’re compostable, the experts have verified it.
When we used the wipes to clean our pooch, it left our pooch smelling fresh and his coat very soft. Moreover, the scent (lavender) wasn’t strong. Our dog didn’t seem to mind it; we certainly didn’t. But if you aren’t a fan of any scent (or are more sensitive than most), you can still get this brand because they offer unscented ones as well. And like Pogi’s wipes, these are hypoallergenic as well.
Just one thing to keep in mind. The dispensing of the wipes isn’t always ideal. At times, we would get just one wipe. But at other times, we would get 2 to 3 in one pull. It’s inconvenient. But what’s an extra few minutes fixing this issue when you’re doing your part in helping the planet anyway?
Click here to check out Earth Rated Dog Wipes
Last update on 2021-06-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Dog Wipes: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the best wipes for dogs?
The best dog wipes are the ones that do a great job of cleaning your dog and keeping him smelling fresh in between his regular baths. They should be free of harmful chemicals such as alcohol, parabens, phthalates, and artificial fragrances.
Moreover, the wipes should have the right size based on their purpose. Grooming wipes should be as large as possible to enable pet parents to cover bigger sections of their dog’s body. This way, they are able to get the job done efficiently and use as few wipes as possible.
The best dog wipes must also be durable. You don’t want them ripping apart while you’re wiping dirt away from your pet, especially when you’re dealing with sensitive areas.
Based on our tests, the best overall dog wipes are Pogi’s Grooming Wipes. They check all of our requirements to a T. Even better, they’re biodegradable, vegan-friendly, and cruelty-free.
Are pet wipes good for dogs?
In general, yes. Pet wipes are perfect for spot-on cleaning when you and your pooch are out and about. It’s also good for keeping your dog clean in between his baths. Overly frequent baths are harmful to dogs because it can dry their skin which can lead to stress licking and hot spots. Of course, that doesn’t mean you can skip giving baths altogether. Soap, water, and a lot of patience are still necessary to ensure your doggo’s health and happiness.
Can I use baby wipes to clean my dog?
No. The pH of dog skin is quite different from that of a human’s. Using human wipes on your dog can cause an imbalance which can lead to dry skin, irritation, itchiness, and possibly infection.
In addition, baby wipes contain propylene glycol and alcohol. Both have the potential to harm your dog, especially when ingested which is quite possible if your dog starts licking himself after you wipe him down. While the dose won’t be enough to poison him, the risk of harming your dog is there.
As you can see, the formula used in baby wipes is quite different. And they’re less likely to have been tested on dogs to check for adverse reactions. It’s best to stick to using wipes that have been specifically designed and tested as safe for dogs.
What can I wipe my dog down with?
There are plenty of alternatives to baby wipes. Obviously, dog wipes are best since their formula is typically safe for canines. If you run out of dog wipes, you can use a clean cloth and a drop or two of dog shampoo instead. Just don’t forget to rinse out the shampoo using another clean cloth and water.
One last option is to use DIY dog wipes. You can make some of your own for grooming purposes. You can probably even make it from compostable and/or hypoallergenic material.