Elevated slow feeder dog bowls promote ease of access to water and food. They also facilitate the movement of food from mouth to stomach. The bowls are excellent resources for conditions where you need to deal with a specific type of pooch or unique feeding issues.
These devices come with a stand and are available in varying heights and designs.
Verified Review: Our Hands-on Experience
When dogs eat too fast, they can develop complex health problems. This is a concern any dog lover should keep in mind, especially if they’re raising a giant or large dog or elderly animal.
Among the hazards is the dog gulps down air as they feed. That can lead to a fatal condition of bloating or stomach dilatation. The dog can suffer vomiting, choking, or gastrointestinal issues.
Another issue to consider is a dog with joint pain may be uncomfortable leaning into ground-level bowls. They may be putting undue strain on the shoulders. When the bowl is higher off the floor, you alleviate the stretch. There are also dogs who eat fast and messy.
Here are a few reasons why your dog might not eat right with a standard floor bowl.
- If there are other canines in the house, dogs can subconsciously eat faster out of competition.
- Is she only getting one or two meals a day over a long period? Take a shot at spreading smaller, more frequent meals over the same space of time throughout the day.
- If doggy gets fed high caloric and high nutrient foods, you may be limiting how much food she can eat at mealtime. Doggy might eat slower if you use a lower calorie and higher fiber food. The change allows more food per meal.
- A fast eater may have a condition that keeps them overly hungry. See her vet and let them run a few tests.
If you’re convinced your dog’s eating habits are behavioral and not medical, we believe an elevated slow feeder dog bowl might be a solution.
Best of the Best: 4 Top Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowls
What follows are our top four results for slow feeder dog bowls with elevation. We looked at dozens of products before narrowing it down to these products.
1. Best Overall Elevated Slow Feeder: Neater Raised Slow Feeder
- Slow, Healthy, & Fun Eating — Veterinarian recommended dog bowl helps reduce bloat, prevent obesity, stop vomiting, and improve digestion.
- Raised Slow Feeder — Using a raised feeder helps improve digestion and lessens strain on your pet’s hips and joints. The Neater Slow Feeder with Leg Extensions raises the feeding height to 7.5 inches tall. If you have a puppy and want the feeder to grow with your pet, you can remove the leg extensions and use it with the base for a height of 5 inches. Then if you go one step further and remove the base, the height goes down to just 3 inches.
- Comfortable Slow Feed Design — Works for all cats and dogs – even flat faced and large breeds.
- Made in the USA — Our Neater Slow Feeder is manufactured in the United States. It is made of non-toxic, durable ABS plastic. This plastic is BPA, PVC, and Phthalate free. And best of all, it is top rack dishwasher safe (we recommend removing the rubber feet before washing).
- Extra Large Capacity — 6 cup food capacity, perfect for large sized breeds. Measures 15.5" L x 10.5" W x 7.5" H (height is with leg extensions attached).
One sure-fire way to slow feeding is by putting gentle obstacles between your dog and her food. Neater’s Raised Slow Feeder is a sturdy design that will slow any feeding. It has an egg crate engineering where food falls in small sections forcing the dog to spend as much time finding the food as eating it.
This feeder’s not just excellent for fast eaters. It can be a benefit to pooches in need of relief from bending to reach the floor. That includes large dogs and dogs suffering from arthritis. The feeder has adjustments so that it will stand five to 7.5 inches in height. Or you can remove the elevation completely for ground-level meals.
The feeder’s on the large size and is best suited for medium to large breeds. And considering the cool features, it’s a suitable budget option.
Click here to check out Neater Raised Slow Feeder on amazon.com
2. Overall Best Adjustable Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowl: Pet Zone Designer Diner ADJUSTABLE Elevated Dog Bowls
- IDEAL FOR ALL LIFE STAGES: Designer Diner is an elevated dog bowl, dog water bowl, and pet feeder for all life stages. Our raised dog bowls and dog bowl stand adjust to 12" elevated dog bowls for large dogs, 8" elevated dog bowls medium sized dogs & 2.75" small dog bowls.
- COLLAPSIBLE & VERSATILE: When not in use, the legs can be easily removed and tucked under the feeding platform on this elevated feeder for easy storage, making these perfect collapsible dog bowls for travel or at home. When needed, set up the pet feeder and then put it away for a neater feeder & clutter-free space.
- HEALTHY DINING EXPERIENCE: Our elevated dog bowls for dog food and dog water bowls provides a healthy feeding position that can help aid in digestion.
- REDUCE JOINT STRESS: Using raised dog bowls helps to reduce stress on joints and bones – this makes our elevated dog bowls and dog feeder perfect for more mature dogs and is an ideal raised dog bowl for large dogs.
- RUST RESISTANT AND EASY TO CLEAN: The Designer Diner includes two stainless steel dog bowls that are rust-resistant and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Great alternative to traditional ceramic dog food bowls and dog water bowls. Each dog dish capacity is a maximum of 56 oz. or 7 cups of dry dog food.
The adjustment feature is excellent as it allows your dog to take this easy-to-clean bowl along for all her growth stages. The raised level starts at 2.75 inches and goes to eight and 12 inches.
There are a pair of stainless steel bowls that hold up to seven cups of food or water. With collapsible legs, the feeder can be taken to a different spot in the home or on the road. The collapsible feature also allows for easy storage and encourages neater feeds and clutter-free capacity.
An elevated solution reduces joint stress. It’s ideal for mature, slow dogs and large dogs. The feeder aids in digestion and provides a healthy feeding.
The stylish frame comes with non-slip pads that prevent skidding and tipping. It also has a ridge to minimize spillage. Everything’s dishwasher safe and the plastic coating makes for easy wiping.
Click here to check out Pet Zone Designer Diner ADJUSTABLE Elevated Dog Bowls on amazon.com
3. Overall Best Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowl for Tall Canines: X-ZONE PET Raised Pet Bowls
- Size: 19’’ L x 9’’ W x 12’’ H Size of the bowl: 7.1’’ D x 2.7’’ H Measure the height of your pet before ordering.
- Natural Walnut Wood: made of high quality walnut wood and supported by iron frame at the bottom,durable and not easy to corrode.Perfectly balanced, great stability.
- Come with 2 Stainless Steel Bowls: each bowl can hold about 6 cups of pet food or water, convenient to provide pets with a meal.
- Anti-Slip Mat: it comes with a anti-slip mat,put it under the pet bowl when the pet is eating which can prevent slipping and keep the feeding area clean as well.
- Easy to Clean: removable stainless steel bowls is convenient for washing and it is easy to keep the feeder clean.Make your pet stay healthy.
The X-ZONE PET bowl is a budget beauty with its walnut wood finish with a durable iron frame bottom. It comes in two heights and we suggest you message your doggy’s height before buying. These items aren’t adjustable.
You get two six-cup capacity stainless steel bowls. It has a chic design and will be aesthetically appealing in any room. The elevated slow feeder dog bowl comes with a complimentary mat. Along with its anti-slip feet and the mat, you’ll never have to worry about the device being out of place.
When feeding, you want to keep the head above the stomach so that food travels down the digestive tract. The stand helps her maintain a proper stance.
The stainless steel bowls are rust-free, leakproof, durable, and sanitary.
Click here to check out X-ZONE PET Raised Pet Bowls on amazon.com
4. Overall Best Designed Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowl: Emfogo Raised & Adjustable Dog Bowls
- Removable Bowls:Make mealtime even more fantastic for your four-legged friend with this dog bowls, each raised dog bowl openning diameter with rim 7.5 inches, 5.5 inches bottom dia. and 2.7 inches height,it's your best choice for your pet's feeding time
- Removable and Adjustable Design:This elevated dog bowls has a patented, unique design is very suitable for your dog,the dog food bowls can be set to three different heights to cover different growth stages of your pets,each height of adjusted elevation off floor is 5 inches,9 inches and 13.5 inches
- Natural Solid Wood ：The wooden rustic dog bowl stand will complement any home decor,the solid non-slip base ensures that the bowls forever stay firmly in place
- Easy Adjustment and Installation：Customizable three heights to be achieved by only sliding wood panel to different notches,you can watch our installation video to install it faster
- Easy to Assemble :Measures with overall size L 16.5x W 11.2 x H 16inch. comes with required hardware and clear instruction for quick installation. exquisite and safe packaging that helps ensure safe delivery,your pet will enjoy this feeder
The Emfogo elevated dog bowl has a cool and unique design with elevation rates of five inches, nine inches, and 13.6 inches. The bowl train is removable and simply set on one of the three heights via notches.
All height options complement growth stages, relieving digestion issues and strain on the neck, hip, and back. It eliminates stooping and stretching. The metal bowls are sturdy and easily cleaned. The wood tray is torch-crafted. Its design uses no paints or unnatural elements.
The metal frame is stable and won’t slide. The tray and bowls are installed with a five-degree tilt forward to avoid doggy accidentally pulling the stand down.
This is a gorgeous antique wood and metal feeder that will improve feed times.
Click here to check out Emfogo Raised & Adjustable Dog Bowls on amazon.com
Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowl: Pros and Cons
You can find the perfect elevated slow feeder bowl but nothing’s perfect. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of the elevated dog feeder.
- These devices overall aid swallowing. It’s harder to ingest when food and water move against gravity. Elevating the bowls simplifies getting food from the esophagus to the stomach.
- Vets highly recommend elevated slow feeder dog bowls for large breeds, geriatric slow dogs, messy doggys, and canines with unique medical conditions.
- These dog bowls put less strain on a dog’s neck, shoulders, joints and hips, and promote better posture. That’s a critical move for mature dogs and animals with arthritis.
- The positioning of the elevated bowl encourages fast eaters to slow down. Fast eating for dogs can lead to choking, regurgitation and bloating. The upright position the dog has to keep instinctively slows the act of eating.
- When it comes to messy eaters, the elevated feeder keeps areas cleaner. They also slow the dog down as she’s not necessarily thrusting her head into the elevated bowl. The same goes for water.
- Stands are non-slip. That means doggy won’t slide the bowl across the floor. An elevated option is more stable and your dog won’t chase his food.
- The resource is beneficial to owners as it relieves unnecessary back strain as you no longer have to bend far down to fill or retrieve the bowl.
- It shouldn’t come as a surprise that elevated options will be more expensive than conventional dog bowls. Prepare your budget for going the extra mile but, if it helps make feeding easier, it’s worth it.
Last update on 2021-11-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Elevated Slow Feeder Dog Bowl: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is an elevated slow feeder dog bowl?
The solution helps dogs eat safely and healthily. The elevated feeder sits raised off the floor, allowing the slow dog to have easier access to their food. They are great for large, older, or slow animals.
Why are elevated slow feeder dog bowls used?
Older dogs may have trouble keeping the bowl study or maintaining their balance to reach the ground-level bowl. Dogs that suffer from joint pain and need to stand properly alleviate their discomfort by being able to hold their heads and necks straight as they eat.
Why do dogs eat fast?
It’s common behavior but there are several reasons. Unlike their owners, who can eat at their leisure, dogs have to wait for us. By the time we get around to it, they can be quite hungry, depending on how long it’s been since their last meal. Hunger leads to greedy eating. If you have multiple dogs, it might be competition. The dog may have a medical issue. Anything from a parasite to improper digestion and lack of proper nutrients can influence the behavior.
What can I do about my mature pet that lays down to eat?
First, see a vet and find out if your pooch has a serious medical issue that has nothing to do with accessing their food. The dog might have a condition that makes bending to the bowl painful. If you have a tall dog, it might simply be discomfort attached to reaching the floor. Whatever the circumstances, it could help to get an elevated slow feeder for your pet.
Are elevated slow feeder dog bowls expensive?
More expensive than floor models perhaps, but worth every penny if it helps your pet eat in greater comfort.