Flea pills for cats can play a crucial role in keeping your cat free from these pests. When they are long-lasting as well as fast-acting, your cat can start having healthy skin once again.
One of the biggest challenges that cat owners face is whether they can get these pills without a prescription. Even if you have to give the pills only monthly, you don’t want to run out at the wrong time. Access to vet-approved options will ensure that your cat always has the protection required. Oral options, especially chewable, help take a lot of the headache out of making sure your cat has proper protection.
We’ve put together a list of the best options, including Capstar. We hope our list of treatments and preventive options will make it easier for you to decide. We’ve also addressed some common concerns, the pros and cons of each product, and some common questions.
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
One of the things that we liked about flea pills for cats was that they were usually fast-acting, as promised. For the most part, we found them long-lasting. Being able to acquire these products without prescription was another selling point for us.
Despite some of these products being vet-approved, we were a bit concerned about reactions that came on with minimal warning. When we tested these products, some cats experienced side effects that include weight and hair loss. We also noted how some cats are resistant to pills and this was an issue in our testing.
We found these oral products effective overall. Regardless of whether a monthly or different dosage is involved, these products are convenient. Preventive and treatment-based products are both viable options for your cat.
The Top Picks for Flea Pills for Cats: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Flea Pills for Cats:Capstar Oral Flea Treatment
- FAST-ACTING FLEA TREATMENT: One oral flea tablet starts killing fleas within 30 minutes.
- TACKLE FLEA INFESTATIONS FAST: Give Capstar oral flea treatment and watch dead fleas fall off your pet.
- TREAT RE-INFESTATIONS FAST: If your pet gets re-invested with fleas, simply give another dose as often as once a day.
- WITHOUT A VET PRESCRIPTION: Flea treatment without needing a veterinarian prescription, administer this cat flea tablet orally to kill adult fleas fast.
- KILL ADULT FLEAS: Capstar oral flea treatment tablets (11.4 mg) are safe for cats and kittens from 2-25 lbs., four (4) weeks and older.
Capstar Oral Flea Treatment starts working as quickly as 30 minutes after the pill is taken. We noticed fleas dropping off the cats we tried it out on right away.
This pill is an effective preventive, as well as a treatment. Being able to get the product without a prescription was another plus for us. Although it was not necessary, we were glad to find that the product could be used daily if needed.
The only concern that we found were reports of severe reactions that include anaphylaxis, as well as side effects like weight loss and hair loss. We would have appreciated better packaging warnings about these circumstances.
Click here to check out Capstar Oral Flea Treatment on amazon.com.
Best Chewable Flea Pills for Cats:Flea Away All Natural Supplement
- All natural: Flea Away is a vitamin complex, made to FDA human standards and specifically formulated for dogs and cats, creating a natural and safe barrier from fleas, ticks and mosquitos.
- No pesticides: Flea Away repels fleas, ticks, & mosquitoes naturally, with no toxic chemicals or residue. safe for both nursing mother and her litter.
- Additional benefits: our Vitamin complex promotes healthier skin, reduces shedding, shinier coat, better joints and is Liver flavored. Your pet will love them!
- No more bites: The difference from alternate flea repellents is with Flea Away, fleas are naturally diverted from your pet before biting your pet. helps dogs and cats with allergic reaction to flea bites.
- Dosage: every day, It will take less than 30 days for you pet to build up The appropriate level to fight off pests. sourced and manufactured in the USA for year round use
If a natural, chewable option is what you prefer for your cat, Flea Away All Natural Supplement may be the best option for your cat. In addition to protecting against fleas, the supplement also provides long-lasting protection against ticks and mosquitos.
The formula is pesticide-free, making these chews safe for nursing females and their kittens. These chews are vitamin-enriched, contributing to skin and coat health, as well as healthy joints.
A complaint that we had was that the tablet size was too big for some, and we all know how difficult cats can be about taking pills in the best circumstances. We were also concerned about accounts of some cats have bad reactions because of underlying conditions.
Click here to check out Flea Away All Natural Supplement on amazon.com.
Best Quick-Acting Flea Pills for Cats:CAPACTION Fast-Acting Oral Flea Treatment for Cats
- FAST-ACTING: One oral flea tablet starts killing fleas within 30 minutes of administration.
- SAFE TO USE: This oral flea medication is safe for kittens and cats from 2-25 lbs. 4 weeks and older, when used as directed.
- TREAT RE-INFESTATIONS FAST: If your pet gets re-invested with fleas simply apply another dose as often as once a day. CapAction Flea Pills are even safe for use on pregnant or breeding cats.
- EASY TO USE: Without the mess and rubbing off of a flea and tick topical treatment and without the need of a veterinarian prescription this cat flea tablet is administered orally to kill adult fleas fast.
- KILL FLEAS EFFICIENTLY: CapAction flea treatment has 6 doses and kills adult fleas that may cause allergy dermatitis.
If usage speed is one of your biggest concerns in selecting a product, you will not go wrong with CAPACTION Oral Flea Treatment. This pill has successfully killed fleas in as little as half an hour.
This treatment is safe for pregnant and nursing cats. We also appreciated the size range that this medication was effective for. Being able to give the supplement to kittens, as well as adults, is a good solution for us.
we did notice a couple of cats having side effects that included lethargy. If your cat has a history of sensitivity to medications, you may want to use caution.
Click here to check out CAPACTION Fast-Acting Oral Flea Treatment for Cats on amazon.com.
Are Flea Pills for Cats Good for my Cat?
Flea pills often have convenient daily dosing, avoiding the complications that often arise from monthly or longer-acting remedies. However, what may be ideal for one cat may be a poor fit for another. You will need to take a few considerations into mind.
Are there allergies or sensitivities that might make some food-based ingredients less desirable? Does your cat have swallowing issues? Think about these questions as you make your choice.
How Can I Get my Cat to Take Flea Pills Willingly?
One downside to even the most effective pills is that not all cats take pills easily. Depending on your cat’s temperament, getting it to take a pill may be an epic battle. If a pill-based treatment is best, you may need to look for a pill that you can cut up or crush to put in food. Be sure to read the directions to make sure this is safe for your cat.
What Precautions Do I Need to Take with Flea Pills for Cats
Although rare, some vet-approved flea pills have serious side effects. Some of these side effects might be life-threatening. When you are seeking a remedy for your cat, reading all the warnings listed is helpful. You’ll want to discuss any concerns with your vet.
The Different Types of Flea Pills for Cats: Pros and Cons Compared
Capstar Oral Flea Treatment
|The fleas start dying off right away||Some cats have had life-threatening side effects|
|Easy to break up into small pieces||Hair loss and weight loss occurred in some cats|
|Useful for cats of different sizes, including kittens|
Flea Away All Natural Supplement
|Made with natural ingredients||One kitten was reported to have had liver failure after use|
|Helps improve skin and coat health||The size of the tablet is too big for some|
|Safe daily dosage that allows immunity-building|
CAPACTION Oral Flea Treatment
|Can kill fleas within 30 minutes of application||Some cats had side effects that caused lethargy|
|Safe for kittens as small as two pounds||Somewhat arder to get into a cat than a treat-based product|
|Okay to use on pregnant females|
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Flea Pills for Cats: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best flea treatment for cats?
Capstar Fast-Acting Oral Flea Treatment for Cats is the best flea treatment for cats. We base this assessment on the number of cat owners pleased with the results.
Do flea pills work for cats?
Flea pills have a higher effectiveness rate than topical treatments. In most cases, pills work for a month at a time.
What flea pills do vets use?
Most vets recommend name-brand medications like Capstar Oral Flea Treatment. These medications have a high effectiveness rate.
What is the fastest way to get rid of fleas on a cat?
The fastest way to kill fleas before giving flea pills to a cat is to create a warm water and dishwashing soap mixture. Dip a metal comb with fine teeth into this mixture, then comb your cat.
Are there flea pills made for both cats and dogs?
Yes, Flea Away All Natural Supplement works for dogs and cats. Because the product is natural, it has fewer potential side effects.
Where can I order flea pills for cats?
It is easy to order flea pills for cats without a prescription online. In addition to sites like Amazon, you can also order from online pet stores like Chewy.