|#1 Overall Best Hamster Food: Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food||Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food|
|Best for Picky Eaters: Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food||Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food|
|Best Treats: Kaytee Timothy Biscuits||Kaytee Timothy Biscuits|
Did you just bring home a new hamster? Are you working on planning out the best diets to meet your hamster’s needs? We understand how important it is to do your research before choosing food for a beloved pet! You may be looking for pellets, seeds, fresh food, organic food, treats, or some mix of all of these options.
We’ve written this review to share more information about some of the best hamster foods that are available. Continue reading to learn more about the foods that we selected as our favorites after conducting extensive research and testing!
User Review: Hands On Experience
As we mentioned above, before writing this review, we went through extensive research and testing process. We purchased many different types and brands of hamster food so we could evaluate them and see how our hamsters did when fed them. You’ll find reviews for the foods we selected as our top picks below, but before we get into the full reviews, here are a few additional notes from the testing process:
- Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food: We were really happy to see that most of our hamsters enjoy this food and finished off the entire serving. However, one of the pickier hamsters seemed to eat around certain pieces, so we would be concerned feeding this to him for the long-term.
- Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food: Most of our hamsters seemed to really like this food and were always excited when we put it out in their bowl. However, a few seemed to get bored by the taste pretty quickly, and stopped finishing off their entire meal.
- Kaytee Timothy Biscuits: We love that these treats are a healthy alternative to more sugary options. Yes, our hamsters still seem to be obsessed with the taste and are always looking or more. However, as with most hamster foods, there always seems to be one hamster that just doesn’t like something.
The Top Picks for the Best Hamster Food: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Hamster Food: Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food
- Larger, crunchy pieces supports dental health through natural chewing activity
- Naturally Preserved For Ideal Freshness
- A Nutritionally Complete Diet For Hamsters And Gerbils
- Prebiotics And Probiotics To Support Digestive Health
- All Natural
We selected the Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food as our overall top pick. Kaytee is a trusted brand for hamster food, and we really like this Fiesta mix. The food consists of a variety of pieces in different textures and shapes to keep hamsters interested, while also helping keep their teeth healthy.
This mix is designed to provide hamsters the nutrients they need to remain healthy. It is formulated with prebiotics and probiotics to keep a hamster’s digestive system healthy. The food is also formulated with antioxidants to support a hamster’s immune system.
The Fiesta mix includes a variety of fruit and vegetables as well. The addition of these different fruits and vegetables helps to provide additional essential nutrients and provides a greater variety of flavors for hamsters to enjoy and stash in their cheek pouch.
If you have gerbils at home too, this food can be fed to them as well.
Click here to check out Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food on amazon.com
Best for Picky Eaters: Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS FOR A HEALTHY, ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Balanced protein, fat, and carbohydrates provide energy for daily function and performance
- SUPPORTS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTH: Made with antioxidants & prebiotics to support the immune system health of your hamster or gerbil
- PERFECT FOR PICKY EATERS: Uniform kibble prevents selective feeding
- FORTIFIED FOOD: Fortified with vitamins and minerals for optimum health
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: Formulated with the guidance of top veterinarians and nutritionists
If you have a picky eater, consider feeding him or her the Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food. This food features uniform kibble pieces, which prevents hamsters from being able to pick around some pieces. This means that they will get all the essential vitamins and nutrients they need and won’t be lacking in a specific area.
The food is formulated with prebiotics and antioxidants to help keep a hamster’s immune system healthy. It includes a balanced mix of protein, carbohydrates, and fat to keep hamsters healthy and ensure they’re getting the nutrients they need to enjoy an active and healthy life. Additionally, the food has been fortified with additional vitamins and minerals to meet the recommendations from pet nutritionists and veterinarians.
Click here to check out Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food on amazon.com
Best Treats: Kaytee Timothy Biscuits
- Supports dental health through natural chewing activity
- Ideal for bonding and playtime
- Makes a great training aid
- Contains no artificial colors or flavors
- Provides added nutritional variety
When you’re looking for a great hamster treat to spoil your furry friend a bit, take a look at the Kaytee Timothy Biscuits. The formula for these biscuits includes high-fiber timothy haw and carrots. Not only will hamsters enjoy the taste, but they’ll be getting the benefits of both of these healthier foods.
Chewing on these biscuits will help keep a hamster’s teeth healthy. You may also find that the delicious taste of the biscuits makes them a good option to use when training a hamster.
These biscuits are formulated without any potentially harmful artificial flavors or colors. Your hamster is certain to enjoy them and get excited when you pull out a treat for them.
Click here to check out Kaytee Timothy Biscuits on amazon.com
Treats and Fresh Foods to Feed a Hamster
In addition to choosing the main food for your hamster, you can also supplement their diet using fresh foods and some special treats. Aim to make sure that at least 90% of their diet is made up of the seeded or pelleted mix you choose, as these mixes are formulated to make sure their nutritional needs are being met.
Choose healthy foods like fresh vegetables, whole grains, and small amounts of fresh fruit. Avoid purchasing treats from stores, since most of the honey and seed sticks and yogurt drops sold for hamsters are actually too sugary to be healthy. If you have a dwarf hamster, you should be particularly careful to avoid giving them any sugary foods, or even fruits, since they are more likely to suffer from diabetes.
Here are a few foods you can consider feeding to your hamster:
- Cooked potatoes
- Romaine lettuce
- Dandelion greens
- Sweet potato
- Cooked brown rice or whole wheat pasta
- Whole grain bread
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Unsalted peanuts
- Peanut butter (be careful to feed only very thin layers on bread to avoid getting it stuck in the hamster’s cheek pouch).
The Different Types of Hamster Food: Pros and Cons Compared
Two of the more common types of hamster food you can purchase include pelleted foods and seeded mixes. Each of these food types has some pros and cons to consider.
Pelleted Hamster Food
|Provide a balanced diet for hamsters||Some hamsters don’t like the taste and won’t eat processed pelleted foods|
|Hamsters can pick and choose which pieces to eat and miss out on essential nutrients|
Seeded Hamster Food
|Hamsters often prefer the taste||Some hamsters may pick around and not eat some pieces, missing out on important nutrients|
|More hamsters gain excess weight on seeded mixes|
Last update on 2022-05-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Hamster Food: Updated For 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best hamster food?
When planning out a diet for your hamster, there are a few key components to include:
- Hamster pellets (not muesli-style mixes, since hamsters tend to only eat the high sugar pellets and leave the rest, which can make them gain too much weight and cause tooth problems)
- Small servings of fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and herbs
- High-fiber Timothy hay
- Mealworms, nuts, boiled eggs, and other treats (on occasion)
- Fresh, clean water
What is the most healthy hamster food?
The healthiest hamster food is a balanced diet, as shared above. Avoid purchasing a muesli-style mix for your hamster, as many hamsters only eat the sweeter portions of the mix and leave the higher fiber pieces uneaten. This can cause them to develop tooth problems and pain and can also result in them gaining too much weight.
What foods are bad for hamsters?
While some fresh fruits, vegetables, and other occasional treats can be good for hamsters, there are many foods that are not good for hamsters and can make them sick. These include:
Salty or sugary foods
Other ‘unhealthy’ human foods
Which hamster food is the best, processed or organic?
Just as choosing organic foods for yourself and your family can help keep you and your loved ones healthy, choosing organic hamster foods can have the same effect. Organic foods are made using fruits and vegetables that are grown without the potentially toxic fertilizers and sprays that may be found in non-organic foods.
However, processed, pelleted hamster foods made using high-quality ingredients can still help your hamster stay healthy. Pelleted foods are designed to give hamsters the nutrients they need to remain healthy.
Many pet owners find that the right food for their hamsters includes a mix of processed foods, organic foods, pellets, seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables, and treats. Your hamster will surely appreciate all these foods, and will happily store them in his or her cheek pouch for later snacking.