We love our cats; there’s no question about that. But, cleaning out their litter box? That is a task that hardly any cat parents enjoy.
Sifting litter boxes are here to save the day. They feature a unique multi-layer design with slots on one layer. Cat owners can lift out the top layer to sift and remove the waste and save the clean litter. You can find sifting litter boxes available in a variety of types, including top entry, high-sided, covered, extra-large capacity for multiple cats, and odor control models.
If you’d like to find the best sifting litter box for your cat, you’re in the right place. We’ve reviewed some of the best models to help make your selection easier. Continue reading to determine which of our picks catches your eye!
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
Reading product descriptions is one thing, but it just doesn’t compare to testing something out with your own hands. Before we wrote this review, we experimented with many different sifting litter boxes and narrowed the choices down to our top picks featured below. Here are a few additional observations we made during this experimentation stage:
- Van Ness Sifting Cat Pan with Frame: We found the design of this litter box very intuitive and easy to use. We also through it did a good job of removing all the clumps of waste when we sifted the litter. However, a few times we did notice that a fair amount of waste remained stuck on the sifter that we needed to wipe off.
- Petmate Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Pan: Out of all the sifting litter boxes we tested, we found that this one performed the best with pine pellets. It made it much easier and faster to clean the litter box than the standard box we had previously used. We only wish the pan came in an extra large size to better accommodate multiple cat households.
- Van Ness Enclosed Sifting Litter Box: We really appreciated how effective the cover on this model was at reducing odors and messes made by our cats. Unfortunately, one of our cats likes to pee on the wall of the litter box, and even with the clasp, pee still managed to get through to the outside of the box.
The Top Picks for the Best Sifting Litter Box: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Sifting Litter Box: Van Ness Sifting Cat Pan with Frame
- High polished finish that is stain resistant
- Framed pan provides added height, reducing litter spills and holding cat pan liners securely in place
- Easy to clean
- Made in USA
- Assorted Colors
We think you’ll like the design and function of the Van Ness Sifting Cat Pan with Frame. This 3-layer sifting litter box is designed to be easy to use and easy to clean. Simply lift out the top tray to sift the litter and remove waste, then put the litter box back together for your cat to use again.
The litter box has a high polish finish. This finish makes it stain-resistant to keep it looking clean for longer.
The box also has a frame that helps give it additional height around the sides to keep messes contained in the box. The frame is also ideal for keeping liners in place.
This litter box is 19 inches long, 15.13 inches wide, and 8 inches tall.
Click here to check out Van Ness Sifting Cat Pan with Frame on amazon.com.
Best for Pine Pellets:Petmate Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Pan
- SIFTING LITTER BOX: This sifting kitty litter box includes two regular pans & a sifting pan to provide an efficient way to clean your cat's litter box, no scooping required! Helps keep clean litter fresher for longer.
- LARGE CAT LITTER BOX: Simply lift the sifter pan in order to separate soiled & clean litter. The reinforced bottom holds up to lifting heavier amounts. The antimicrobial protection helps prevent odor-causing bacteria & stains.
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products. From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes & litter, we've got you & your pet covered.
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
If you use pine pellets (or other litter types), this Arm & Hammer sifting litter pan from pet mate is a great choice to consider. This is a 3-layer litter box with one sifting pan and two standard pans.
All you need to do to clean it is to lift the sifting pan to remove the soiled waste and separate the clean litter. Then, dispose of the waste, place the sifting pan back on top of the empty pan, and pour the clean litter back overtop of it.
Pet Mate designed the sifting pan with a reinforced bottom to make sure it was up to the task of holding heavy waste without buckling or breaking. They also added antimicrobial protection to the pans for odor control.
Click here to check out Petmate Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Pan on amazon.com.
Best Covered:Van Ness Enclosed Sifting Litter Box
When you’re looking for greater odor control from your sifting litter box, we’d recommend this covered model from Van Ness. The large enclosed area offers plenty of space for cats to take care of their business while also helping keep odors contained. An additional layer of odor protection is even included with the odor door by the entryway. Replaceable air filters are also included in the design.
In addition to keeping odors at bay, the covered design also helps to reduce messes and cut back on litter tracking since more litter stays in the box. When you’re ready to scoop your cat’s litter, simply remove the cover to lift the sifting tray and discard the waste.
This litter box is made from durable BPA-free plastic. The plastic has a high-polish finish to make clean up easier.
Click here to check out Van Ness Enclosed Sifting Litter Box on amazon.com.
The Different Types of Litter Boxes: Pros and Cons Compared
Standard Litter Boxes
|• Can be quicker to scoop waste for cats who demand their litter box be cleaned after every use.||• Cleaning out a full litter box can take a long time.|
|• Available in a variety of types, such as covered, top entry, side entry, high-sided, and extra-large.||• You can get your hands dirty using the scoop.|
|• Durable and long-lasting||• You need to remain bent over for a longer period of time, which can cause discomfort.|
|• Less dust thrown into the air during cleaning.|
|• You can use liners to make it easier when it is time to replace all the litter.|
Sifting Litter Boxes
|• Can reduce the amount of time it takes to clean fuller litter boxes.||• Can make more dust during the sifting process.|
|• Keeps your hands cleaner than using a scoop.||• Urine often sticks to the pan, which will require washing.|
|• Intuitive design.||• Smaller pieces of waste may end up getting sifted through the slots and returned to the clean litter tray.|
|• Easy-to-clean design.|
|• Durable and long-lasting.|
|• Available in a variety of types, such as covered, top entry, side entry, high-sided, and extra-large.|
|• You can find litter box liners designed for sifting litter boxes.|
Last update on 2021-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Sifting Litter Box: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best cat litter for a sifting litter box?
Many sifting litter boxes can work with different kinds of litter, including clumping and pine pellets. Clumping litter tends to work best for siting, but can make more dust during the process, which is why some cat owners opt to use pine pellets.
What is the best sifting cat litter box?
There are a lot of great sifting cat litter boxes on the market. The best one for your will vary based on your needs. For example, you may be looking for a covered sifting litter box, one with an extra large capacity, a top entry model, a high-sided option, or something that is easy-to-clean and will help with odor control.
We selected the Van Ness Sifting Litter Box as our top pick for the best sifting litter box, but we also really liked the Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan and Van Ness Enclosed sifting Cat Litter Pan.
What is the best litter box to reduce tracking?
Covered litter boxes are seen as a good option to reduce tracking. The covered design limits the amount of litter that gets out of the litter box, and thus limits the amount that your cat will be able to track around the house.
How do you sift a litter box for pine pellets?
Always check the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific model you purchase, but for most sifting litter boxes, you will need to lift up the top tray to allow the clean pine pellets to drop down. Then, you can dispose of the waste, and place the tray back in the stack.
How do you self sift a litter box?
Self-sifting litter boxes are designed to be easier to clean. They typically have a 3-tray design, and you can simply lift up the top tray when you’re ready to clean the litter box. The holes in the tray will allow the clean litter to fall down to the next tray, where it can be used again. All your cat’s waste will be held in this top tray, and you can simply dump it in the trash can and return the sifting pan to the stack for future use.