The benefits of using slow-eating dog bowls are many: They’re great for fast eaters and to slow eating for dogs with a risk of digestive and health issues such as bloat or obesity. They also make your dog feel full sooner and prevent overeating.
There are several types of slow-eating dog bowls to choose from, However. Stainless steel is an excellent material, especially for people on a budget, while ceramic is more expensive but imparts better food flavor. What about slow-eating dog bowls for small dogs, for medium dogs, and for large dogs? We’ve created a review of the best slow-eating dog bowl for each category to help you decide if it’s right for your dog.
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
There is nothing better than hands-on experience to put products to the test, and we at A-Z Animals couldn’t wait to get our hands on the best slow-eating dog bowls and have our dogs reap the benefits. Growing puppies, large dogs, and certain breeds are more likely to need dog bowls for fast eaters. We know the frustration of feeding our dogs, only for them to gulp down their food and beg for more. But with these dog bowls to slow eating, they won’t overeat and hence, won’t have a high risk of bloat or obesity.
We loved stainless steel as the best material and best for people on a budget, but we couldn’t use metal objects on it. Ceramic is a more natural-feeling material that retains heat, allows for more complex patterns, and makes eating food more inviting, although it’s more expensive. Polypropylene is another alternative to plastic that is budget-friendly and great for more complex slow eating patterns. With all of the slow-eating dog bowls, we were able to add more or less food and retain the bowls’ ability to slow eating all the same, regardless of our dogs’ breeds.
Top Picks for Slow Eating Dog Bowls: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Slow Eating Dog Bowl: Outhound Fun Feeder Slo-Bowl
- SLOWS DOWN EATING UP TO 10X: Outward Hound uniquely designed Fun Feeder dog bowls feature meal-lengthening ridges to help slow down your dog’s eating time by 10X!
- AIDS IN PROPER DIGESTION: Common issues that arise in fast-eating dogs include bloating, regurgitation, and canine obesity. Our Fun Feeder Slo Bowls both challenge and engage your dog during mealtime while helping reduce overeating behavior.
- MADE WITH NON-SLIP BASE AND FOOD SAFE MATERIALS: Outward Hound's Fun Feeder Slo Bowl, slow feeder dog bowls are made to hold in both fun and food as your dog forages through the fun patterns with its non-slip base. Bowls are BPA, PVC, and phthalate free.
- DIET DIVERSITY: Fun Feeders are available in multiple sizes and ridge patterns. These bowls are great for dry, wet, or raw food diets. The Large/Regular holds up to 4 cups of dry kibble, the Medium/Mini holds 2 cups, and the Small/Tiny holds 3/4 cup.
- CLEANING MADE EASY: Fun Feeder dog bowls are top rack dishwasher safe. Less work for you means more pup playtime after!
We at A-Z Animals ranked the Outhound Fun Feeder Slo-Bowl purple flower pattern as the #1 overall slow-eating dog bowl. Being top-rack dishwasher-safe and having a non-slip base are common features of many slow-eating dog bowls. However, this particular pattern has shallow valleys and low ridges. That made it perfect for all breeds of dogs, even the flat-faced ones. The polypropylene material is BPA-free and PVC-free so it’s safe and non-toxic, just like any PP dishware humans have. There’s a reason why these more complex patterns don’t come in stainless steel, and it’s because dogs would constantly run their teeth and tongues against the metal.
- Top-rack dishwasher-safe
- Non-slip base
- Great for flat-faced dogs
- Works for all sizes of dogs
- Polypropylene is BPA-free and PVC-free
If you prefer a ceramic version for its unique benefits, we recommend the LE. It’s heavy and non-skid, so our dogs couldn’t move it. It’s also microwave-friendly. The Bloom pattern is a shallow flower pattern that will suit all snouts.
- Ceramic material retains heat
- Heavy and non-skid
- Maze or Bloom patterns available
- Two color options
A close second in stainless steel was the OurPets DuraPet Slow Feeder Premium Stainless Steel Dog Bowl. Small, medium and large sizes can suit any size dog. We love stainless steel for being an overall excellent and budget-friendly material, and a safe alternative to plastic. Not only is it durable and easy to clean, but it is skid-proof with a bonded, durable ring on the bottom. Even the most excited and large dogs couldn’t slide it across the floor! Plus, it’s dishwasher-safe.
The way this stainless steel slow-eating dog bowl works to slow eating is by the use of the solid centerpiece. It creates a ring of food to make dogs slow down to pay attention and get at the food. It works equally well for fast feeders or any dogs that are prone to bloat or obesity because it prevents overeating.
- Stainless steel is durable, easy to clean, safe, and hygienic
- Three size options
- Non-skid bottom ring
If you feed your dogs wet food, gravy, or other messy meals, we recommend the Dogit Go-Slow Anti-Gulping Bowl. It’s got a more open design to allow your dog to drink the liquid, while having enough of a pattern to slow eating. One caveat: It’s more difficult for flat-faced dogs.
Click here to check out Outhound Fun Feeder Slo-Bowl on amazon.com
Best Slow Eating Dog Bowl for Small Dogs and for Medium Dogs: WHIPPY Slow Feeder Dog Bowl Dishes for Small Medium Dog
- 【PROMOTES FUN & HEALTHY DIET】- WHIPPY slow feeder dog bowl promote healthy eating, raised slow food column design can slow down rapid eating and stop choking, prolonging meal time prevent indigestion, interactive and fun feeder. Our slow feeding bowl are more healthier than other base bowls.
- 【SIZE & COLOR】- The pet slow feeder bowls have four colors can be choose. The dog bowl size is 8.85 x 8.85 x 1.96 inches. This slow feeder pet bowl can hold 300g-400g food, depending on the size of pet food particles. Very suitable for small/medium cat and dog.
- 【NON-SLIP】- Four small rubber anti-skid pads are installed at the bottom of the bowl, which can effectively prevent the food bowl from moving or turning over on the floor. To prevent the rubber from falling off, we fixed the four non-slip MATS at the bottom of the dog bowl on the original basis.
- 【SAFETY MATERIAL】- The Slow Feed Dog Bowl is made of environmentally friendly materials , non toxic, It meet pet food safety. High temperature resistance, strong and bite-resistant, get your pet on a healthy diet.
- 【SMOOTH SURFACE】- Our pet slower feeder bowl is smooth surface. Don't scratch your pet's tongue or mouth. The edge of the bowl is frosted, making it more resistant to biting than other dog bowls.
Finding a dog bowl for small dogs and for medium dogs is hard, but there are bowls that suit both. We ranked the WHIPPY Slow Feeder Dog Bowl Dishes for Small Medium Dog as the best slow eating dog bowl For small dogs and medium dogs. The polypropylene is non-toxic, BPA-free and PVC-free, but still budget friendly enough and a good alternative to plastic.
We found that it had no odor and the surface was smooth on our dogs’ faces. It’s high temperature-resistant and even the mouthiest dogs find it to be bite-resistant. We could use either dry, wet, or raw dog food with equal ease. Four anti-skid pads combined with the fun maze make sure there’s no spillage and reduces food waste. The volcano maze pattern itself is the best pattern to slow eating for fast eaters and dogs prone to bloat or obesity, which can be issues For small dogs or medium dogs.
- Polypropylene is budget friendly
- Non-toxic, BPA-free and PVC-free
- Smooth surface
- No odor
- Fun volcano maze pattern
- budget friendly price
- Dry, wet, or raw food-appropriate
- For small dogs and medium dogs alike
- Top-rack dishwasher-safe
Click here to check out WHIPPY Slow Feeder Dog Bowl Dishes for Small Medium Dog on amazon.com
Best Slow Eating Dog Bowl for Medium Dogs and for Large Dogs: JASGOOD Slow Feeder Dogs Bowl for Large Dogs
- 🐶 SAFE AND STURDY MATERIAL 🐶 --- This dog slow feeder bowl is independently developed mould by ourselves,the unique in the market. Made with food safe,High-Strength PP materials. Bowls are BPA, PVC, and phthalate free. Secure your pets to use.
- 🐶 UNIQUE SPIRAL MAZE DESIGN 🐶 --- Source of the design of nature, imitating the wild dogs foraging process environment, every meal will turn into a dog healthy and happy games. With the food being placed in the maze-like sections of the bowl, this causes your pet to slow down and make meals take longer to consume. This helps prevent choking and after meal bloating due to the improved digestion that is promoted by eating at a healthy pace.
- 🐶 EASY TO USE AND CLEAN 🐶 --- Whether your dog has a diet of dry, wet, or raw food, these non-slip bowls will do the trick! Any amount of food go further and the dog feels full on a smaller amount of food. Smooth surface makes it very easy to wash,can be easily washed by hand or in the dishwasher top rack. Doesn't require you much time and effort.
- 🐶 REDUCE SLIP BOTTOM 🐶--- There are 6 reduce-slip mats in the package that can be glued to the bottom of the bowl to prevent the bowl from slipping. The slow feeder dog bowl base widened to prevent being knocked over by pets, the bottom six sides are attached with reduce-skid pads to help keep it in place!
- 🐶 SIZE&COLOR 🐶--- We have black,blue,pink, dark gray,light gray five color for your choice. Bowl Diameter: 9.6”/24.4cm. High: 1.77”/4.5cm.This slow bowl can holds about 3 cups of dry dog food. The slow feeder dog bowl is better for medium and large dogs.Warm tip:Not for puppy and cat!
When it comes to medium and large dogs, there can be a fine line between their sizes in terms of weight and food needs. That’s why we ranked the JASGOOD Slow Feeder Dogs Bowl for Large Dogs the best slow eating dog bowl for medium dogs and for large dogs. We needed a dog bowl for fast eaters regardless of their size and which could grow with them and their food needs.
Once again, polypropylene was the alternative to plastic and budget friendly. The spiral maze pattern is very engaging and complex enough to slow down eating for all kinds of dogs. Medium dogs are more at risk of obesity and large or deep-chested dogs are more at risk of bloat, but both are equally prone to gulping down their food. Being able to slow down eating of our dogs had the immediate benefit of reducing gassiness and digestive issues, too. It’s often believed that vomiting is caused by the dog’s food, but the right bowl can prevent it from happening.
- Four colors available
- Great spiral maze pattern
- For small dogs and medium dogs alike
- Dry, wet, or raw food-appropriate
- Top-rack dishwasher-friendly
- Reduce slip rubber feet
Click here to check out JASGOOD Slow Feeder Dogs Bowl for Large Dogs on amazon.com
How to Choose a Slow Eating Dog Bowl
When choosing a slow eating dog bowl, consider your dog’s age, breed, and size. Adult dog bowls aren’t always suitable for puppies, unless they’re small breeds. Check the food needs of your dog and compare them to the volume of the dog bowl so you’ll know what size to choose.
Another factor is the pattern used to slow eating. A flat-faced dog along with any other dog will comfortably do well with a shallow and/or open pattern to allow stable feeding, reduce air intake, and minimize the risk of choking. Deeper, open patterns are better for wet food and gravy.
The material used for the slow eating dog bowls is important both for your budget, durability, and slow eating pattern. Some dogs might not do well with the solid centerpiece pattern which is typical to stainless steel, while all dogs have a leisurely meal with the more complex patterns available in polypropylene or ceramic.
The Different Types of Slow Eating Dog Bowls: Pros and Cons Compared
|Budget friendly||Not for microwaving|
|Durable||May give metallic flavor.|
|Retains heat||More expensive|
|Microwave-safe||More vulnerable to breakage.|
|More complex patterns|
Last update on 2021-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Slow Eating Dog Bowls: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are slow feeding bowls good for dogs?
Yes, their benefits include minimizing gas, indigestion, vomiting, bloat, and obesity.
How can I make my dog eat slower in a bowl?
The best way is to buy a slow feeder or slow eating dog bowl, which will make him have to put more effort into getting at the food.
When should a dog use a slow feeder bowl?
Slow feeder bowls are for fast eaters or for dogs with digestive issues.
What is a slow feeder dog bowl?
A slow feeder dog bowl is a dog bowl that has a solid centerpiece to create a ring of food or a pattern for the food, which prevents dogs from gulping down food quickly and not feeling appropriately full.