Waterproof dog beds offer the solution many owners are looking for. Whether you need a dog bed for boats or outdoor areas, want to keep your dog’s bed from getting ruined when they come in from the rain, have a puppy who isn’t trained yet, or are taking care of a senior dog with incontinence, a waterproof dog bed can save you from dealing with ruined dog beds or messes on your floor.
Waterproof dog beds typically have either a waterproof liner to keep the padding or memory foam from getting wet or a waterproof base to keep water or urine from reaching the floor under the bed. We know that choosing the best waterproof bed isn’t easy, so we’ve put together reviews of some of the top options on the market to help simplify your search.
The Top Picks for the Best Waterproof Dog Beds: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Waterproof Dog Bed: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) The SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM in our orthopedic dog bed provides an ultra premium base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Comforts as a Calming dog bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' support bolsters are generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Large dog bed base & bolsters provide optimal support, comfort, & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover work simultanously with our waterproof dog bed liner. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement pet bed covers available separately
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) The Certi-PUR-US Memory foam used in our orthopedic dog bed for medium and large dogs has NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality keeps your pup safe while resting. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Cover fabric certified as 'SKIN CONTACT SAFE'.
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+ pounds. (II) [Search Pet Fusion x large pet blanket for new matching blanket]. Age range description: All Life Stages, included components: Memory foam orthopedic dog bed mattress, waterproof dog bed foam liner, Removable & washable cover, Polyfilled bolster cushion, material type: polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill; Cotton; Polyester
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) 'Bolsters' pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base & zip closed. (ii) EASY TO CLEAN, machine washable dog bed cover is removable making cleaning a breeze. (iii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing. (iv) 36 Month Warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is our favorite waterproof bed. This bed features a waterproof liner to keep liquids from penetrating the padding and help extend the life of the bed. The cover is removable and can be washed in the washing machine.
Your dog will also find that this is an extremely comfortable bed. The orthopedic design features a 4-inch layer of solid Certi-PUR-US memory foam to offer relief from joint pain, enhance mobility, and help your dog sleep soundly. It also features a bolster on all sides to offer a nice spot for your pup to rest his or her head.
This bed is available in four sizes (small, large, XX, and XXL). It is perfect for tiny dogs to giant breeds. There are also three neutral color choices available: chocolate brown, sandstone, and slate gray.
Click here to check out PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
#2 Best Orthopedic: Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed
- VERSATILE SOFA BED: Bedsure Pet Sofa Beds give your furry babies a cozy space to relax and rest, like in rooms, crates or even on cars - Ideal for small/medium/large dogs or multiple cats to have their own “sofa bed” without taking over your bed, couch, chair or furniture - Creamy and Grey contrasting design seamlessly blends in any home decor.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made from faux linen fabric, outer cover doesn’t stain, stick to fur/hair or easily absorb liquid (urine, vomit, drool) - Soft micro-sherpa sleeping surface (31”x27”) is roomy for your pal to sprawl out comfortably and snuggle in - 2.5" thick memory foam base and arm stuffing (microfiber) are moderately firm to feel like a real sofa.
- SMART BED DESIGN: 3-sided pillow-like bolsters fit all your pet’s sleep positions to lay their heads on and is detachable for washing - 3-sided zipper on the outer cover makes it easier to remove or put together - Separate water-resistant liner (for the base) protects memory foam from any accidents - Non-slip bottom with rubber bits stays put on floors.
- MADE FOR COMFORT: Memory foam dog bed provides the perfect amount of softness and support (doesn’t go flat) and helps to soothe the aching joints of puppies (up to 100 lbs.) with growing bones and seniors with arthritis - Fluffy cloud sherpa interior with a built-in entry dip and wrap-around gusset make it the perfect nesting spot for pets of all ages.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Remove the outside cover to the foam bed. There's a 3-sided zipper on the sides that you can use to get the foam out. Machine wash the outer cover separately and tumble dry low.
The Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed is an excellent option to consider for your aging pup or dogs recovering from surgery. This rectangular orthopedic bed offers a conforming memory foam base to support the joints of dogs, provide pressure point relief, and make it easier to get up. There are also pillow-like bolsters on three of the sides where your dog can rest his or her head or prop themselves up. A micro-Sherpa fabric covers the sleeping surface for added comfort and snuggling.
When accidents strike, the 3-sided zipper makes it simple to remove the cover for easy cleaning in the washing machine. The water-resistant inner liner works to protect the memory foam from getting wet and ruined.
You can purchase this orthopedic bed in three different colors: gray, dark gray, and denim blue. Each color is available in three different sizes (medium, large, and XL) for small and medium dogs weighing up to 50 pounds to giant dogs weighing up to 100 pounds.
Click here to check out Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed
#3 Best for Outdoor Use: Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed
- Waterproof and large size: Waterproof dog mat is made of Oxford cloth, water resistant for almost all weather, water or rain drops can be easily wiped off the mat instantly Do not recommend leave the water on the mat for long time. This pad is 43 inch *26 inch, large size for medium and large dogs
- Outdoor and indoor use: perfect outdoor dog bed, suitable as a camping mat, sleeping mat for pets, traveling car mat; also perfert as an indoor dog mat, suitable for crate mat, kennel mat.
- Durable and washable: mat is durable with refined stitching, scratch resistant and claw resistant, but not recommended for aggressive chewers; mat is washable, machine washed with gentle circle or hand washed
- Packable and portable: dog bed is packable, a carry bag is in the package, mat can be easily folded and slid into the bag; bag is portable, roll up the mat, convenient for travel, camping and other outdoor activities
- Easy to clean: front side is Oxford material, easy to clean, stains can be easily wiped off with a damp cloth
If you need a waterproof bed for use outdoors or on a boat, the Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed offers an optimal solution. This is an easily portable mat that you can fold up and bring along with you and your dog. The mat is made using water-resistant Oxford cloth that is also scratch- and claw-resistant.
In addition to using this outdoors or on a boat, it is also suitable for crates, kennels, and car rides.
This mat is available in large and XL sizes and comes in 14 different colors: black, blue, brown, brown/yellow, dark blue, green, gray, light orange, navy, off-white, olive green, orange, and red.
Click here to check out Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed
Does My Dog Need a Waterproof Bed?
Waterproof beds are not necessary for every dog, but there are a number of situations and reasons when you may want to consider getting one for your pup. These include:
- Potty training: When you’re potty training a puppy, they’re more likely to have accidents in the house. Having a waterproof dog bed can make cleaning up those messes much easier.
- Incontinence: Senior dogs or dogs battling other illnesses, may suffer from incontinence issues. Waterproof dog beds will make it easier to clean up. Plus, there are even orthopedic waterproof beds to keep your senior pup comfortable.
- Vomiting issues: Vomit can leave a huge mess to clean up, and the liquid from vomit can soak into the padding of a bed. This can make the whole bed smell and may eventually lead to mold growing. A waterproof liner will prevent this from happening and save you from having to throw out beds that have been vomited on.
- Tracking in water or mud: If your dog comes in wet or muddy and heads to their bed, the water and mud can penetrate the cover and get into the foam. Having a waterproof bed will keep the padding from getting gross and smelly.
- Outdoor use: If you’re looking for a bed for boats or use in the backyard, a waterproof dog bed is a must. These models will hold up much better to getting wet and won’t become moldy or get destroyed by the water.
How to Choose the Best Waterproof Dog Bed
Use the buying guide below to help you identify important features to consider when shopping for a waterproof dog bed.
The size of your pup will dictate how large of a bed he or she will need. Many manufacturers offer the same style bed in a variety of sizes ranging from XS to XL to accommodate different dog breeds. A teacup poodle, for example, will require an XS bed, while a giant breed, such as a Great Dane, will need an XL dog bed.
Materials are also important when you’re shopping for a waterproof dog bed. Keep your dog’s comfort in mind and choose a bed that will give them adequate support to sleep peacefully. Orthopedic beds with memory foam are ideal for seniors, but can also be a good option to keep other dogs comfortable and help prevent future joint problems. Always look for covers featuring soft fabrics that your dog will enjoy snuggling up against.
Care and Cleaning
There’s a reason you’re looking for a waterproof bed, and you want to make sure the model you choose will be easy to clean if your dog has an accident or makes a mess on it. Make sure you choose a bed with a removable cover that is machine washable. This will be the easiest way to ensure you’re able to get the bed clean and ready for your dog to use again.
Finally, pay attention to the shape and design of each bed. Some dogs may prefer a rectangular bed, while others prefer to cuddle up in an oval-shaped bed. If your dog likes to rest his or her head on something when they sleep, you can look for a bed with bolsters on the side. Other dogs may prefer to lay flat and will be happiest in a large rectangular bed where they can spread out.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Waterproof Dog Beds: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do you waterproof a dog bed?
You can purchase a waterproof dog bed for crates, boats, and other spaces, but you may also be able to waterproof your dog’s existing bed. Start by making sure that your dog’s bed is clean and fully dry. Remove the bed’s cover and place the memory foam or padding in a trash bin liner. Then, put the cover back on the bed. The liner will keep the foam or padding from getting wet in the event of an accident, and you’ll only need to wash the cover and replace the trash bin liner.
For older dogs suffering from incontinence or dogs dealing with a stomach bug, you may want something thicker to catch more of the mess. In these cases, you can consider using a weather blanket to wrap up the foam instead of using a trash bin liner.
Do they make waterproof dog beds?
Yes, many manufacturers offer waterproof dog beds. These beds are often designed with a waterproof liner to protect the foam or padding in the bed. If a dog has an accident on their bed, you can just remove the cover and wash it; you won’t need to worry about the foam padding getting wet or ruined.
Waterproof dog beds also offer a good solution for crates where dogs may be left alone for a while. They can prevent you from coming home to a huge mess to clean up.
Are Kirkland dog beds waterproof?
Yes, many of Kirkland’s dog beds have a waterproof liner to prevent urine or other liquids from ruining the bed’s padding.
What is the difference between waterproof dog beds and water-resistant dog beds?
Waterproof dog beds typically feature an inner liner to prevent any liquids from penetrating into the padding or cushioning of the bed. Water-resistant dog beds have a special finish designed to repel water. Smaller amounts of water should bead up, rather than being absorbed by the fabric. However, water-resistant beds are not waterproof, and liquids can still be absorbed by the fabric, especially when there is a lot of liquid (for example when a dog pees).