|Best Waterproof Bed
|PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed
|Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed
|Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed
|Coolaroo Original Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
- The #1 Best Overall waterproof dog bed is the PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed.
- Waterproof dog beds feature a waterproof liner that keeps the mattress from getting wet or a waterproof base that keeps liquids from reaching the floor under the bed.
- Our review includes the criteria that we used to select the best waterproof dog beds so you can select the one that best meets your needs with confidence.
Waterproof dog beds offer the solution many owners are looking for. Whether you need a dog bed for boats or outdoor areas, want to keep your dog’s bed from getting ruined when they come in from the rain, have a puppy who isn’t trained yet, or are taking care of a senior dog with incontinence, a waterproof dog bed can save you from dealing with ruined dog beds or messes on your floor.
Waterproof dog beds typically have either a waterproof liner to keep the padding or memory foam from getting wet or a waterproof base to keep water or urine from reaching the floor under the bed. We know that choosing the best waterproof bed isn’t easy, so we’ve put together reviews of some of the top options on the market to help simplify your search.
The Top Picks for the Best Waterproof Dog Beds: Ranked
#1 Best Overall: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is our choice for the #1 Best Overall waterproof bed. This bed features a waterproof liner to keep liquids from penetrating the padding and help extend the life of the bed. The cover is removable and can be washed in the washing machine.
Your dog will also find that this is an extremely comfortable bed. The orthopedic design features a four-inch layer of solid Certi-PUR-US memory foam to offer relief from joint pain, enhance mobility, and help your dog sleep soundly. It also features a bolster on all sides to offer a nice spot for your pup to rest his or her head.
This bed is available in four sizes (small, large, XX, and XXL). It is perfect for tiny dogs to giant breeds. There are also three neutral color choices available: chocolate brown, sandstone, and slate gray.
It’s important to note that this bed is not chew-proof. Also, some buyers report that replacing the cover after washing is difficult because it’s not made with YKK zippers.
Pros and Cons of the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
|This dog bed features a waterproof liner to protect the padding.
|This dog bed is not chew-proof.
|The removable cover is machine washable.
|Replacing the cover after washing may be difficult because the zippers aren’t YKK.
|The mattress is constructed from a four-inch layer of Certi-PUR-US memory foam to provide your dog relief from joint pain and to help them sleep well.
|A wrap-around bolster makes a comfy pillow for your dog to lay its head.
|It’s available in four sizes (small, large, XX, and XXL) and in three attractive, neutral colors: chocolate brown, sandstone, and slate gray.
- This orthopedic bed features 4" thick memory foam
- Available in 4 sizes and 4 colors
- Features a water-resistant, polyester blend cover and waterproof liners
- The cover is removable and washable
- The bolsters are filled with eco-friendly recycled "green" polyfill
2. Best Orthopedic: Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed
The Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed is an excellent option to consider for your aging pup or dog that’s recovering from surgery. This rectangular orthopedic bed offers a conforming memory foam base to support the joints of dogs, provide pressure point relief, and make it easier to get up. There are also pillow-like bolsters on three of the sides where your dog can rest its head or prop themselves up. A micro-Sherpa fabric covers the sleeping surface for added comfort and snuggling.
When accidents strike, the three-sided zipper makes it simple to remove the cover for easy cleaning in the washing machine. The water-resistant inner liner works to protect the memory foam from getting wet and ruined.
It’s important to note that this bed is not chew-proof.
You can purchase this orthopedic bed in three different colors: gray, dark gray, and denim blue. Each color is available in three different sizes (medium, large, and XL) for small and medium dogs weighing up to 50 pounds and for giant dogs weighing up to 100 pounds.
Pros and Cons of the Bedsure Orthopedic Waterproof Dog Bed
|This rectangular orthopedic bed features a memory foam base that provides support to dogs’ joints, relieves pressure, and makes getting up easier.
|This dog bed is not chew-proof.
|Your dog can rest its head on the bolsters that surround the bed on three sides.
|The sleeping surface is covered with cuddly micro-Sherpa fabric.
|You can pop the cover in the washing machine if it gets soiled.
|The memory foam is protected from liquids by a water-resistant liner.
|It’s available in three colors (gray, dark gray, and denim blue) and comes in three sizes (medium, large, and XL) for dogs weighing up to 100 pounds.
3. Best Outdoor: Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed
If you need a waterproof bed for use outdoors or on a boat, the Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed offers an optimal solution. This is an easily portable mat that you can fold up and bring along with you and your dog. The mat is made using water-resistant Oxford cloth that is also scratch- and claw-resistant.
In addition to using this outdoors or on a boat, it is also suitable for crates, kennels, and car rides.
This mat is available in large and XL sizes and comes in 14 different colors: black, blue, brown, brown/yellow, dark blue, green, gray, light orange, navy, off-white, olive green, orange, and red.
A number of customers indicated that the mat isn’t thick enough to be comfortable. Other’s stated that the bed is water-resistant, not waterproof.
Pros and Cons of the Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed
|This dog bed is designed for use outdoors and on boats.
|The mat may not be thick enough to be comfortable for some dogs.
|It features a portable, foldable mat that’s made of Oxford cloth that’s water-, scratch, and claw-resistant.
|Some buyers said that this outdoor dog bed is water-resistant, not waterproof.
|This mat-style bed is also suitable for crates, kennels, and cars.
|This outdoor dog bed is available in large and XL sizes and in 14 different colors, including black, blue, brown, brown/yellow, dark blue, green, gray, light orange, navy, off-white, olive green, orange, and red.
4. Best Elevated: Coolaroo the Original Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
It’s great when you can find a dog bed that serves more than one purpose. Many pet owners turn to elevated beds for the cooling element, as well as the fact they are very portable for travel. So we looked for one that checks those boxes, as well as being water resistant, and Coolaroo Original Cooling Elevated Pet Bed is our choice. It’s made of breathable high density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric, which promotes increased airflow on all sides to cool your dog on a hot summer day outdoors. The breathable, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric, as well as the powder-coated steel frame, are weather resistant and can be cleaned easily with a water hose or damp cloth.
The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed comes with easy-to-assemble instructions, accommodates dogs up to 100 pounds, and comes in six attractive colors. The bed is comfortable and also reduces stress on you dog’s joints.
If your dog has incontinence problems or is a puppy prone to bed-wetting, great news! The fabric is non-porous, so it blocks liquid from seeping through, thus protecting your rugs or other indoor flooring if you wish to use the bed indoors. And another plus: The HDPE fabric is also resistant to fleas, mites, and mildew.
Despite it’s “easy-to-assemble” instructions, some customers stated that they had a difficult time putting this cooling dog bed together.
Pros and Cons of the Coolaroo the Original Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
|This portable, elevated dog bed is made of breathable high density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric that helps to keep your dog cool while resisting fleas, mites, and mildew.
|May be difficult to assemble.
|The fabric and the powder-coated steel frame are weather resistant and easy to clean with a hose or damp cloth.
|This outdoor bed can also be used indoors because its fabric protects carpets and flooring by blocking liquid from seeping through.
|This dog bed comfortably accommodates dogs weighing up to 100 pounds and reduces stress on their joints.
|It’s available in six colors.
Does My Dog Need a Waterproof Bed?
Waterproof beds are not necessary for every dog, but there are a number of situations and reasons when you may want to consider getting one for your pup. These include:
- Potty training: When you’re potty training a puppy, they’re more likely to have accidents in the house. Having a waterproof dog bed can make cleaning up those messes much easier.
- Incontinence: Senior dogs or dogs battling other illnesses, may suffer from incontinence issues. Waterproof dog beds will make it easier to clean up. Plus, there are even orthopedic waterproof beds to keep your senior pup comfortable.
- Vomiting issues: Vomit can leave a huge mess to clean up, and the liquid from vomit can soak into the padding of a bed. This can make the whole bed smell and may eventually lead to mold growing. A waterproof liner will prevent this from happening and save you from having to throw out beds that have been vomited on.
- Tracking in water or mud: If your dog comes in wet or muddy and heads to their bed, the water and mud can penetrate the cover and get into the foam. Having a waterproof bed will keep the padding from getting gross and smelly.
- Outdoor use: If you’re looking for a bed for boats or use in the backyard, a waterproof dog bed is a must. These models will hold up much better to getting wet and won’t become moldy or get destroyed by the water.
How to Choose the Best Waterproof Dog Bed
Use the buying guide below to help you identify important features to consider when shopping for a waterproof dog bed.
The size of your pup will dictate how large of a bed he or she will need. Many manufacturers offer the same style bed in a variety of sizes ranging from XS to XL to accommodate different dog breeds. A teacup poodle, for example, will require an XS bed, while a giant breed, such as a Great Dane, will need an XL dog bed.
Materials are also important when you’re shopping for a waterproof dog bed. Keep your dog’s comfort in mind and choose a bed that will give them adequate support to sleep peacefully. Orthopedic beds with memory foam are ideal for seniors, but can also be a good option to keep other dogs comfortable and help prevent future joint problems. Always look for covers featuring soft fabrics that your dog will enjoy snuggling up against.
Care and Cleaning
There’s a reason you’re looking for a waterproof bed, and you want to make sure the model you choose will be easy to clean if your dog has an accident or makes a mess on it. Make sure you choose a bed with a removable cover that is machine washable. This will be the easiest way to ensure you’re able to get the bed clean and ready for your dog to use again.
Finally, pay attention to the shape and design of each bed. Some dogs may prefer a rectangular bed, while others prefer to cuddle up in an oval-shaped bed. If your dog likes to rest his or her head on something when they sleep, you can look for a bed with bolsters on the side. Other dogs may prefer to lay flat and will be happiest in a large rectangular bed where they can spread out.
Our Criteria and Experience — How We Chose the Best
There are several criteria we took into account while selecting the best waterproof dog beds. First, the bed should have a waterproof liner or fabric that prevents water penetration. We also looked for beds that resist odor, are hygienic, and easy to wash. Other factors are durability — does the fabric used in the bed protect it not only from water and urine, but also from chewing? And our top picks included options that are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Our #1 Best Overall checks all our boxes with its waterproof, removable cover that’s machine-washable, as well a waterproof inner lining to protect the relaxing memory foam mattress from water damage. Besides the orthopedic features, it is made of hypo-allergenic materials and even comes with a three-year warranty.
- A true waterproof bed should be good indoors and outdoors. That’s why we’re excited about our options 3. and 4., which are both good for travel and withstanding weather as well as your dog’s accidents. For a compact, comfortable option, the reversible Cheerhunting Outdoor Bed is a must. This one is also highly resistant to chewing.
- Check Out Our Top 4 Picks For Best Dog Toothpastee — Keep your dog’s teeth clean with our top toothpaste recommendations.
- We Rounded Up the Best 4 Leather Dog Collars: Updated — Need help choosing the best leather collar for your dog? We’ve got the best choices for you!
- Best Organic Dog Food: Reviewed For You — You want your dog to eat the best organic dog food available, so we’ve reviewed the best.
The Best Waterproof Dog Beds FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do you waterproof a dog bed?
You can purchase a waterproof dog bed for crates, boats, and other spaces, but you may also be able to waterproof your dog’s existing bed. Start by making sure that your dog’s bed is clean and fully dry. Remove the bed’s cover and place the memory foam or padding in a trash bin liner. Then, put the cover back on the bed. The liner will keep the foam or padding from getting wet in the event of an accident, and you’ll only need to wash the cover and replace the trash bin liner.
For older dogs suffering from incontinence or dogs dealing with a stomach bug, you may want something thicker to catch more of the mess. In these cases, you can consider using a weather blanket to wrap up the foam instead of using a trash bin liner.
Do they make waterproof dog beds?
Yes, many manufacturers offer waterproof dog beds. These beds are often designed with a waterproof liner to protect the foam or padding in the bed. If a dog has an accident on their bed, you can just remove the cover and wash it; you won’t need to worry about the foam padding getting wet or ruined.
Waterproof dog beds also offer a good solution for crates where dogs may be left alone for a while. They can prevent you from coming home to a huge mess to clean up.
Are Kirkland dog beds waterproof?
Yes, many of Kirkland’s dog beds have a waterproof liner to prevent urine or other liquids from ruining the bed’s padding.
What is the difference between waterproof dog beds and water-resistant dog beds?
Waterproof dog beds typically feature an inner liner to prevent any liquids from penetrating into the padding or cushioning of the bed. Water-resistant dog beds have a special finish designed to repel water. Smaller amounts of water should bead up, rather than being absorbed by the fabric. However, water-resistant beds are not waterproof, and liquids can still be absorbed by the fabric, especially when there is a lot of liquid (for example when a dog pees).
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.