Taking your dog on a road trip is a great way to spend more time with your furry friend. It is also a chance for your dog to explore new sights, sounds and smells. Dogs have 300 million olfactory receptacles in their noses, compared to only six million in humans. It is easy to see why dogs love the intense sensory experience of a car ride.
While driving with your pet is fun, it puts both of you at a higher risk of getting in a car accident. According to a collaborative survey by AAA and Kurgo, more than 65% of dog owners engage in distracting activities while driving with their dog in the car.
This is exactly why you should use a dog seat belt harness to safely restrain your pet in the car. A dog seat belt harness also helps minimize the impact of a car crash on your furry friend by distributing the pressure across their body. Without a seat belt, your dog can even jump out of the car window.
However, choosing the right seat belt could be overwhelming. With so many options out there, you can easily get confused between the must-have and nice-to-have features. To make the job easier for you, we have tested dozens of dog seat belts to finally pick three products worth checking out. So without further ado, here’s a rundown of our top picks for dog seat belt products.
The Top Picks for Dog Seat Belt Harnesses: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Car Seat Belt Harness for Dogs: SlowTon Harness Plus Connector Strap
- New Match and Well Made --- Breathable Mesh Chest Vest Harness Strap: it’s made of the double mesh fabric with the flannelette edge, attached to four PP material strap, which will absorb sweat and feel breathable when your pet dog wear it. Elastic Safety Seat Belt: it’s made from durable nylon strap to protect the dog which is elastic and adjustable for the car vehicle.
- Suitable and Humanized Design --- Breathable mesh chest vest harness would relieve the pressure. It is adjustable depending on how much lead way you need to plug into your cars seatbelt it fit perfect definitely.The included seat belt was long enough to let him move in the back seat and lay down.
- Keeping Safe and Comfortable --- The harness wraps around dog’s body and neck which could be instead of a collar. The straps tighten up securely so dogs cannot roam the car to prevent dogs from hopping into the front seat, but they don't pull against them.
- Easy to Use and Quick Release --- There are two buckle on the chest part, which make the harness easy to put on and no need dogs to step in. And the four adjust buttons on the harness strap, can be easily adjusted to make dog pals feel comfortable, and suitable for all small, medium and large size dogs, or even kitten cats and medium cats. The seat belt is also adjustable, easy to hook up both in the car and trunk.
- Wide and Further Application --- The harness can be used as a travel harness in the car to prevent dogs jumping out the window when go driving around. It also can be use a regular harness connects with the retractable dog leash as a regular harness.
The SlowTon Dog Car Harness Plus Connector Strap earns our #1 ranking for best overall car seat belt harness for dogs.
While you’ve many factors to consider when choosing a dog seat belt, we believe safety and comfort should be your main concerns. The SlowTon harness and seat belt combo wins our trust on both counts.
In our testing, we found that SlowTon’s bungee straps are sturdy and stretchy enough to absorb the impact of emergency braking. In addition, the harness comes with a wide, padded chest piece, which helps distribute the pressure from sudden braking evenly across the chest area of your pet.
The harness is designed to keep your furbaby comfortable for a long time, thanks to its double mesh fabric and flannelette edges that help absorb your pet’s sweat. We are also impressed with the fact that the harness can be easily put on a dog or pup. It comes with two quick-release buckles on the chest plate. All you have to do is to slide the neck piece over your pet’s head, loop the straps around its legs and click them to the back piece. You don’t need to make your pooch step into the harness, which makes it super easy and quick to get the harness on and off your dog.
The straps come with reflective stitching, which makes the SlowTon harness seat belt safe for use at night. You can adjust the harness to fit it perfectly to your dog’s body, using the four adjustable buckles on the harness. The connector strap is also adjustable, allowing you to control how much freedom you want to give your furry friend inside the car.
SlowTon also allows you to flaunt your fashion sense by choosing the right seat belt color for your furry friend. The SlowTon dog harness seat belt is available in 19 different colors. The color options are as follows;
- Bottle green
- Dark blue
- seatbelt Purple
- Seatbelt Red
- Canvas – Wine Red
- Canvas Blue
- Red & White
- Plaid Blue & Black
- Plaid Green & Black
- Plaid Grey & Black
Please also note that the SlowTon harness seat belt is available in six different sizes. So make sure you measure your dog’s neck size and chest size before making a purchase. Here are the available sizes.
XXX-Small – Chest girth ( 11-13 inch), Neck girth (8.6-10 inch)
XX- Small — Chest girth ( 13.5-16 inch), Neck girth (10.5-12 inch)
X-Small– — Chest girth ( 16.5-18 inch), Neck girth (12.5-14 inch)
Small ——–Chest girth (18.5-21 inch), Neck girth (14.5-17 inch)
Medium —–Chest girth ( 21.5-27 inch), Neck girth (17.5-25 inch)
Large — —–Chest girth ( 27.5-37 inch), Neck girth (25.5-31 inch)
You can also use the SlowTon car harness as an everyday walking dog harness. Simply connect it to a retractable dog leash and you are good to go.
However, we found this harness and seat belt combo is not compatible with all vehicles. SlowTon does not specify which vehicles it doesn’t work with. However, we found that it doesn’t fit into several Honda, Kia and Volvo vehicles. Also, some consumers have reported that the stitches and seams come apart after a few uses.
Click here to check out SlowTon car harness for dogs
The absolute best chew-proof seat belt restraint for dogs: Leash Boss Dog Car Seat Belt Restraint
- Chew proof restraint - Put your dog in the back seat with a regular nylon seat belt and it can be destroyed in seconds. Not anymore. Our dog seat belt is made out of heavy duty nylon coated steel rope, the same material used in dog tie-outs.
- Locking clip attaches to safety latch bar - Instead of clipping into a regular seatbelt which could be stepped on and accidentally unfastened, our seat belt attaches to one of your car's 4 latch bars, found in the seat creases in your cars back seat. This size includes a locking link for attaching to your car's latch bars.
- Attach to your dogs harness - Designed for use with a vest harness for added safety for your pet. Measure from your pet's clip attachment point to the floor at 45 degree angle to determine best size.
- 5 sizes for different pet sizes - Available in 16, 21, 26, 31 or 36 inch sizes for small, medium, large, and x-large dogs. Our 16 inch size features a lighter clips which is less heavy for smaller dogs.
- Assembled in the USA with 5 year manufacturer's warranty - Your purchase is protected by "The Boss Promise" a 5 year manufacturers warranty that protects against defects and product issues.
This dog car seat belt restraint comes with a steel-made lead, making it practically impossible for your dog to chew through it. The steel rope comes coated with heavy duty nylon and is made out of the same material used in dog tie-outs. However, we found in our testing that a dog can still chew the outer nylon layer of the lead.
The Leash Boss restraint comes with a metal clip on one end that attaches to your dog’s car harness. We love that the metal clip features a swivel function that allows the pup to move around without twisting the lead.
Another feature that makes this product suitable for fidgety puppies is that it attaches to your car’s back seat latch bar system rather than to a seat belt buckle. Dogs can accidentally step on the seat belt buckle and release the clip. With the Leash Boss restraint, you don’t have any such worries. Plus, all newer vehicles have latch bars in their back seat creases. This means that this product is compatible with almost all vehicles.
Finally, the Leash Boss dog seat belt is assembled in the USA and backed by a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty. This gives you the peace of mind that a defective product can be easily replaced after purchase.
There are very few negative customer reviews but some customers reported that they had to replace the “flimsy” latch connector clip with a stronger lockable clamp in order to safely restrain their dog in the car.
Please note that the Leash Boss seat belt does NOT come with an adjustable strap. Instead, you’ll find them in five different sizes – small (16 inches), medium (21 inches), large (26 inches), X-large (31 inches) and XX-large (36 inches). So make sure you choose the right size for your dog. Use a tape to measure the distance from your dog’s harness connection to the floor at 45-degree angle to determine best size.
Click here to check out our recommendation: Leash Boss dog car seat belt restraint
The Best Value-for-money Seat Belt for Dogs: Vastar 2 Pack Adjustable Pet Car Seatbelt Harness
- Made of high quality nylon fabric to ensure safety, features the solid zinc alloy swivel snap and metal buckles guarantee extra durability
- Note: the tab on the seatbelt clip is 2cm, please check your buckle's size and compatibility before purchase
- Keep your pet safely restrained and secure in vehicle while driving, and allows your dog to sit, stand or lie down comfortably in a car without distracting the driver
- Hassle-free seatbelt clip designed to latch into your car with ease
- Updated the appearance of with Vastar logo, better in preventing counterfeit; clip for most pet harness you may own
The Vastar Adjustable Dog Seat Belt is our top pick among budget-friendly options.
If you own multiple dogs, this 2 Pack Adjustable Pet Car Seat Belt offers a good deal. You get two for nearly the price of one. Even if you choose to buy a single unit, the price is still quite affordable.
Pricing aside, the Vastar Adjustable Dog Seat Belt is durable, effective and easy to use. Simply plug its clip end into your car’s seat belt buckle, and attach the other end to the D-ring of your dog’s harness and you are good to go. The strap is made of premium-quality nylon, meaning it won’t break in the event of a car accident. The buckle and snap are made of heavy-duty metal to ensure extra durability.
In our testing, we especially liked that the strap comes with a swivel snap, which keeps the tether from tangling as your dog moves around. The length of the strap is adjustable from 16 to 27 inches. We found the strap is ideal for large and medium-size dogs. However, its shortest length is 16 inches, which is still too long to restrain a smaller dog in your car. In our testing, we also found that the adjustable buckle does not easily slide or adjust on its own. This helps keep the dog secure and restrained in the vehicle for a long time. The dog can still easily stand up, lie down and move around with the seat belt attached to them.
The Vastar Adjustable Dog Seat Belt is available in six different colors. The color options include;
- Fluorescence Green
- Fluorescence Orange
The Vastar Dog Seat Belt is compatible with most cars. However, its seat belt clip does not fit into every car’s seat belt buckle, so make sure you measure your seat belt buckle before ordering this product.
Click here to check out our recommendation: Vastar Adjustable Pet Seat Belt Harness
The Different Types of Dog Seat Belt: Pros and Cons Compared
SlowTon Dog Harness Seat Belt Review: Pros and Cons
|Made of breathable mesh fabric||Not chew proof|
|The harness and straps are made of sturdy materials||Not compatible with all vehicles|
|The harness is adjustable and easy to put on||Stitches can fall apart after a few uses|
|Comes in different sizes and colors|
Leash Boss Chew Proof Dog Seat Belt Review: Pros and Cons
|Chew proof||Dogs can still chew the outer nylon coating|
|Available in five different sizes||The strap length is not adjustable|
|Dogs can’t accidentally release the clip|
|Made of sturdy materials|
|Compatible with most vehicles|
|Offers a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty|
Vastar Best Value Dog Seat Belt Review: Pros and Cons
|Made of sturdy materials||Dogs can chew through the belt|
|Hassle-free clip design||Not compatible with every vehicle|
|Comes with a swivel snap||The straps are too long for smaller dogs|
|Highly affordable – You get two for nearly the price of one|
|The buckle doesn’t adjust on its own|
|Easy to use|
Last update on 2021-05-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Reviewed: The 3 Best Dog Seat Belts in 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How long should a dog seat belt be?
Most dog seat belts come with an adjustable strap. You can adjust the length of the strap or tether depending on the size of your dog. Typically, the strap should allow your pet to comfortably lie down and stand up. At the same time, make sure the strap will keep the dog from getting in the front passenger seat. In the event of a car crash, the seat belt should prevent your pooch from hitting the seat in front of them. This length is usually 10 – 24 inches depending on pet size.
How can I choose the right size for my dog’s seat belt harness?
The harness should fit perfectly to your pet’s chest while leaving just enough room to allow for free movements. Most importantly, it should be comfortable to wear for your dog. Seat belt harnesses come in different sizes to suit different needs. Manufacturers usually provide a size chart to help you choose the right size for your dog depending on its size, weight, age and breed type.
How do you use a pet seat belt?
Firstly, do not attach a seat belt to your dog’s collar as it could cause choking or serious neck injuries to your pet in the event of an accident. Instead, attach the seat belt to your dog’s harness. Also, never leave your dog seat belt hanging from your pet’s harness. Always make sure that the other end of the strap is properly attached to the back seat. When detaching the dog seat belt, always unlock the end that attaches to your dog’s harness.
What states require seat belts for dogs?
Most states do not have laws about restraining a pet dog in the car. At present, only eight states have a law that requires you to restrain your pet in a moving car. These states include Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Minnesota.