|#1: Best Overall — NOW Solutions Liquid Coconut Oil||NOW Solutions Liquid Coconut Oil|
|Best Topical: Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil||Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil|
|Best Organic: Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs||Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs|
|Best Treats: K9 Granola Factory Coconut Crunchers Dog Treat||K9 Granola Factory Coconut Crunchers Dog Treat|
Coconut oil offers many unique benefits for dogs. One benefit includes soothing itchy skin for dogs living with allergies. This can be an excellent remedy for pet owners on a budget.
There are many options available, and knowing how to apply the product is one of many things to consider. Your dog will likely have a much healthier, shinier coat, regardless. Bites from fleas and other pests can cause itchy skin that gets irritated. Coconut oil can help every area of your dog, from its head to its paws. Finding out where to buy coconut oil is not difficult because it’s readily available. Other reasons for using coconut oil range from weight loss to helping to disinfect wounds from scratching.
There are many coconut oil supplement options to use, and we have put together a list of the best. We hope that our list will help you make the right choice, from treats to topical choices. In addition to providing reviews, we’ve also looked at how coconut oil fights inflammation, whether organic oil makes a difference, and how much is safe for your dog to ingest.
Verified Review: Our Hands-On Experience
We enjoyed the number of options available to choose for dogs. The dogs we used these supplements for who had skin issues saw reasonably quick relief. These supplements were easy to apply or feed to dogs with a minimal complaint in most cases.
Some users complained about coconut oil solidifying or liquefying based on the temperature, making certain forms less convenient. Another complaint with some reviewers was the dogs refusing to accept supplements as treats. Overall, these were good products for most users, but each type has disadvantages, potentially making another format ideal.
The Best Coconut Oils for Dogs: Ranked
#1: Best Overall —NOW Solutions Liquid Coconut Oil
- Light & Nourishing ,Promotes Healthy-Looking Skin
- Condition: Dry skin or hair in need of comprehensive moisturization and nourishment.
- NOW Solutions Liquid Coconut Oil is a versatile cosmetic oil that's pleasingly light and easily absorbed for comprehensive moisturization without clogged pores
- Our fractionated Liquid Coconut Oil is colorless and odorless with a smooth, non-greasy texture that's ideal for a variety of personal care uses
- Use it for dry skin, as a carrier oil for essential oils, for massage therapy, or as a base for handmade skin care products. Liquid Coconut Oil can also help to soften dry, damaged hair as well as add a healthy shine.
NOW Solutions, Liquid Coconut Oil offers relief for itchy skin on dogs. The two sizes are perfect for any budget, ideal if you need to buy frequently for dogs with skin allergies.
This oil absorbs quickly, and there are no worries about how to apply with the bottle that opens easily. Using this oil on your dog’s paws can help prevent cracking leading to infections.
A complaint that some of our reviewers had was the oil solidified when refrigerated. Otherwise, this oil was perfect for coat and other issues that dogs may face.
Click here to check out NOW Solutions Liquid Coconut Oil on amazon.com.
Best Topical:Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil
- BALM FOR DOGS AND CATS: Coconut oil for dogs, a soothing, natural treatment for dogs dry nose, elbows, ears, and paws, that heals and softens a pet's dry skin. As a dog ear cleaner or paw balm, coconut oil provides safe and highly effective itch relief for dogs. Great benefits for your feline friends too, all natural coconut oil, a moisturizing treatment for cats itchy skin, cracked paws, and effective in cleaning cat ears.
- KEEP A HEALTHY PET COAT: Apply pet coconut oil directly on skin as a rash cream for dogs and cats or as a bite treatment to provide calm itchy skin relief for your pet. Great for cat and dog's relief from dermatitis, and the perfect coconut oil dog shampoo, that will leave a soft hydration that smells clean, leaving your dog looking their best.
- NATURAL PAIN RELIEF CREAM FOR DOGS AND CATS: Coconut oil, a soothing anti itch for dogs, a great taste, given orally, a safe cat and dog toothpaste, cleaning teeth, and a super pet breath freshener. Can be massaged right onto fur, slowly introduced from a spoon, or added to food at meal time. As a daily dog supplement, will benefit a dog or a cat's immune system, improve a cat or dog's digestive health, provide hairball relief, adding amazing thyroid support for dogs and cats.
- 100% ORGANIC COCONUT OIL: All natural coconut oil for dogs is sourced from coconuts organically grown. Single ingredient, organic coconut oil, cold pressed and unrefined, chemical and bleach free.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We stand behind our brand, and value our customers satisfaction on every single order. If you're not completely satisfied we will provide a Full Refund - Guaranteed - no questions asked.
Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil is ideal for skin allergies that lead to itching and inflammation. This product is also safe for a dog to consume if used for weight loss or similar reasons. Reviewers enjoyed the smell, which made it more pleasant to use.
Some reviewers found the consistency far oiler than expected. One of the effects of the excessively oily texture was difficulty rubbing the product into their dogs’ skin enough to make a difference. When the oil worked as expected, reviewers were pleased.
Click here to check out Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil on amazon.com.
Best Organic: Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs
Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs offers the flexibility of internal and topical consumption and fits into the budget for most reviewers. Because it is easy to figure out how to apply this oil, most reviewers found it easy to aid skin health and easy to add to dogs’ food.
A few reviewers had concerns that the coconut oil caused diarrhea or stomach upsets in some dogs, possibly diminishing its safety for weight loss. Although the oil worked effectively for treating skin irritations from fleas, the digestibility was a problem for these reviewers impacting interest in using the brand.
Click here to check out Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs on chewy.com.
Best Treats:K9 Granola Factory Coconut Crunchers Dog Treat
- Healthy Wheat-, Corn- and Soy-Free Crunchy Dog Treats
- Coconut Crunchers are made with Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Made from real, wholesome ingredients like Coconut Oil, Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Vanilla
- Tropical Banana is a gold mine for those looking for a great tasting way to introduce potassium into your pet's diet
- Baked Fresh in the USA
K9 Granola Factory Coconut Crunchers Dog Treat features the same benefits for the coat and digestive system as other coconut oil products, in a convenient form. Our reviewers enjoyed the treats being soy-free and having ingredients like cinnamon, pumpkin, and vanilla.
A few reviewers had concerns about potato flour being an ingredient, which causes allergies in some dogs. Some dogs were a little less enthusiastic about the taste, despite the product having a scent that seemed appealing.
Click here to check out K9 Granola Factory Coconut Crunchers Dog Treat on amazon.com.
How Coconut Oil Fights Inflammation
In addition to helping heal irritation involving bites from fleas, coconut oil is an effective anti-inflammatory ingredient. Besides the skin and coat, a dog’s joints are some of the areas that benefit the most from using this type of oil.
This oil is effective against fungi and viruses, helping to prevent many diseases that affect dogs. Another benefit of coconut oil is that it can help combat heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels.
Does Organic Coconut Oil Makes a Difference?
Although many of the most popular coconut oil products are organic, it is reasonable for dog owners to wonder if organic oil offers better benefits than other kinds. Products with organic labeling often have a better perception in customers’ eyes.
Anything listed as organic is also pesticide-free, which provides excellent purity. Dogs will have healthier skin and hair with a minimally-processed oil. Another advantage of minimal processing is that the oil is more digestible for dietary health reasons.
How Much Coconut Oil is Safe for Your Dog to Ingest?
The recommended dosage of coconut oil for dogs is 1 tsp. per 10 pounds of body weight. When the oil is in the form of a non-liquid supplement or treat, the serving size listed in the packaging will help offer the necessary guidance on how much coconut oil your dog is getting.
You will likely want to avoid going over the recommended serving size. When your dog receives coconut oil in liquid form, too much oil increases the chances of digestive upsets. Starting the oil gradually is best for most dogs to see how well the oil is tolerated.
Although relatively rare, some dogs have allergic reactions to coconut oil. Allergic reactions may result in skin irritations that you must disinfect and treat to prevent infection. Starting slowly to see how dogs tolerate coconut oil helps prevent such problems.
Pros and Cons
|Purer than refined coconut oil||Somewhat more expensive|
|Easy to find purchase locations||May have other oils mixed in, diminishing effectiveness|
|More flexible for topical and dietary use|
|Easy to use for skin issues||It may not be ingestible|
|Often has a pleasant scent||Risk of triggering skin allergies or sensitivities|
|Usually absorbs easily|
|Available in forms that dogs love||It may not be suitable for fussy dogs|
|Useful as training aids||Dogs may try to ingest too many|
|Easy to take on the go|
Last update on 2022-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The 4 Best Coconut Oils for Dogs: Reviewed for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What does coconut oil do for dogs?
Coconut oil supports healthy skin, joints, and digestive systems and can help disinfect wounds and hot spots.
Is coconut oil safe for dogs?
Coconut oil is safe for dogs and a popular product because it’s easy to know where to buy but must be consumed or applied in proper amounts.