|Best Overall||Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Fragrance Free Dog & Cat Shampoo|
|Best Budget||Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo|
|Best Fragranced||DermAllay Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Cats & Horses|
|Best Shampoo Bar||Wondercide Oatmeal & Honey Shea Butter Dog & Cat Shampoo Bar|
- Some of the best dog shampoos on the market include colloidal oatmeal in the ingredients, which has antioxidant and inflammatory properties to help combat dryness, irritation, and flaking in your dog’s skin.
- When considering what kind of shampoo to buy for your dog, you should consider their skin condition, any allergies or sensitivities they have, and convenience–whether a traditional shampoo would work best, or if you’d like to use a shampoo bar or dry shampoo.
- A dog’s pH level is more neutral than a human’s, so the shampoo used on it must match it’s pH level. If you use human shampoo on a dog, it may upset the pH balance of their skin, leading to skin issues.
When it’s time to wash your dog, you may be tempted to use your shampoo. While your hair care products make your tresses look fabulous, they may actually irritate your pup’s skin. That’s because the potential hydrogen (pH) level of human skin is very different from dog skin.
In skincare, pH refers to the skin’s acidity level. A dog’s pH level is more neutral than a human’s, which is why using your shampoo on your pup may upset the pH balance of their skin, causing dryness, irritation, and flaking.
The best way to ensure that bathing your dog doesn’t cause skin problems is to use a dog shampoo that is formulated to match a dog’s pH level. Some of the best dog shampoos include colloidal oatmeal, a natural ingredient made by grinding oats into a fine powder. Colloidal oatmeal has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that will keep your dog’s skin healthy and hydrated.
A-Z-Animals Top Picks for Best Oatmeal Dog Shampoos
How to Choose the Right Oatmeal Shampoo for Your Dog
There are 3 main factors to consider when selecting the right oatmeal shampoo for your dog:
- Skin condition
- Allergies and sensitivities
Let’s examine these factors in more detail:
If your dog is prone to dry, itchy, irritated skin, an oatmeal shampoo will facilitate healing and maintain healthy skin. Other natural ingredients, such as honey and vitamin E, can also help promote healing. Also look for products that include a ceramide complex, which will lock moisture into your furry pal’s skin and help to protect her epidermis (outer layer of skin) from environmental damage.
Allergies and sensitivities
It’s important to select a dog shampoo that doesn’t contain ingredients that will aggravate your pet’s allergies or sensitivities. When purchasing a dog shampoo online, read the ingredients carefully for potential allergens. Remember that companies sometimes change ingredients. So, when you receive the shampoo, read the label again to ensure that the formula didn’t change.
If your dog is sensitive to fragrance, select a shampoo that’s fragrance-free.
Do you find opening a shampoo bottle and pouring its contents into your hand while trying to handle a wet dog to be difficult? If so, a dog shampoo bar may be just the solution you’ve been looking for. Shampoo bars are easy to handle with one hand so you can keep your pup safely under control with the other.
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
When creating our list of the best oatmeal dog shampoos, we researched various ones on the market, consulted tests and reviews of the products, and narrowed down our choices to the four best. Here are some further details we wanted to share about the items:
- When it comes to any kind of product that comes into contact with skin, be it for dogs or humans, there should be some kind of guarantee in case there is an allergic reaction to a product. We love that our overall pick has a 100% money back guarantee on the product, so in the off-chance your dog can’t tolerate this particular shampoo, you won’t be out the price of it.
- Our #2 Burt’s Bees product is very popular with customers who used it, and as we should all know, it’s a high-caliber brand all around when it comes to creating quality, safe products. Some reviewers found that this shampoo healed up their senior dogs’ skin when other similar, more expensive products did not deliver.
- The #3 on our list also comes as a bar, and is recommended by vets. It works well even on dogs with thick, tough coats, softening their hair nicely. It does well for dogs that are highly allergic, and you can even use it on their paws after taking walks, as dogs can pick up airborne allergies in their paws.
- We find that the #4 Wondercide shampoo bar lathers very easily, is ultra-gentle on the skin of short-haired dogs, and reduces scratching from flea issues.
#1 Best Overall ― Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo – Fragrance-Free
Our best choice overall is Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo for its special formula for dry, itchy, and sensitive skin.
- Soap-free shampoo with oatmeal and organic aloe vera made specifically for dry, itchy and sensitive skin.
- Works to re-moisturize, heal and soothe dry, scratched skin while also neutralizing any odors.
- Fragrance-free formula is perfect for pets with sensitivities or allergies.
- Perfect for cats and dogs over 6 weeks with who need a moisturizing shampoo.
- 100% biodegradable, paraben and phosphate-free for a safe and trustworthy formula.
Our choice for the best overall oatmeal dog shampoo, Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo – Fragrance-Free, is specially formulated for dry, itchy, and sensitive skin. It will leave your dog smelling fresh without potentially irritating fragrances. Its soap-free oatmeal and aloe formula will moisturize and heal scratched skin while reducing itching, so she won’t be tempted to scratch more. And it won’t wash off topical flea applications!
One reviewer reported that they used Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo – Fragrance-Free on their dog, which was suffering from seasonal allergies. “This oatmeal shampoo was instantly soothing on his skin. I could see in his eyes and relaxed body how much massaging this into this skin soothed and comforted him. It was the first time he ever enjoyed shampoo! I highly recommend this shampoo.”
One disadvantage of this shampoo is that it contains coconut-based cleansers, which shouldn’t be used on dogs with coconut allergies.
- Specially formulated for dry, itchy, and sensitive skin
- Soap-free oatmeal and aloe formula
- Doesn't wash off topical flea applications
- Re-moisturize, heal, and soothe dry and scratched skin
#2 Best Budget ― Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey
- Soothes and softens — Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog’s dry skin and coat
- Made with the highest quality ingredients — This gentle formula includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
- Directions — Apply to dog’s wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. As is typical with natural formulas, this shampoo will only have a light lather
- Suitable for all dogs and puppies — This mild tearless shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
Our choice for the best budget oatmeal dog shampoo, Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey, is pH balanced, fragrance-free, and formulated from high-quality natural ingredients. Plus, it’s eco-consciously packaged in 80% post-consumer recycled bottles.
This gentle formula nourishes dry, itchy skin with colloidal oatmeal so it can heal and maintain healthy skin. It also includes honey, which will boost her coat’s shine, and green tea extract for a clean that shows! This shampoo produces a light lather, which is typical of natural formulas, and has a pleasant, natural scent from the main ingredients since Burt’s Bees doesn’t add artificial fragrance to any of their products.
Our reviewer said, “I bought this shampoo because my dog has sensitive skin… The scent of this shampoo is so much better than the others I have used. It’s subtle and my dog still smells like a (clean) dog after using it. If strong scents bother you and you don’t want to be attacked by the smell of eucalyptus every time your pup tries to snuggle, I highly recommend this shampoo. My dog spends considerably less time scratching and has not gotten any hotspots or irritated areas when we use this shampoo regularly.”
#3 Best Fragranced ― Dechra Dermallay Oatmeal Shampoo
- Mild, soap-free oatmeal shampoo with a light, pleasant apple fragrance that won’t strip your pet’s hair of its natural oils
- Colloidal oatmeal soothes and calms itchy, dry skin, helping your pet feel more comfortable and reducing their urge to scratch
- Essential fatty acids bond moisture to their skin, restoring the skins barrier and ceramides moisturize, repair and restore dry, damaged skin
- Formulated to lather and rise easily, it’ll make bath time a synch
- Developed for dogs, cats and horses, and made in the USA
This mild, soap-free therapeutic oatmeal shampoo is formulated to soothe the skin as it cleans. In addition to colloidal oatmeal, it contains a ceramide complex to rebuild and maintain a strong, healthy skin barrier. This will help to prevent water loss that can lead to dry skin and to protect against allergens.
Dechra Dermallay Oatmeal Shampoo won’t strip your dog’s hair of its natural oils. And it has a light, pleasant apple fragrance that will leave your pup smelling fresh and clean, not perfumy.
One reviewer reported, “I have been using this shampoo for the last few months. To me, it doesn’t have a strong scent but it does smell nice: a light fragrance of apple. Works nicely for my dog’s skin. She has allergies so I always have to be careful not to exacerbate any flare-ups and this is the shampoo that works for me. It cleans her coat and skin nicely and surprisingly she smells apple-nice for several weeks (a big plus). And she’s not itchy afterward (double big plus)!”
#4 Best Shampoo Bar ― Wondercide – Oatmeal Honey & Extra Moisturizing Pet Shampoo Bar for Dogs and Cats
- Restore dry & Itchy skin – Honey and neem oil naturally moisturize skin and alleviate dryness, while oatmeal soothes, helping to comfort skin conditions like hot spots, bug bites, rashes, skin irritations, and more.
- Gentle on pets & effective – Whether playing in the yard or going on a hike, dirty pets have met their match. This premium gentle shampoo bar will help give your cat or dog clean, healthy skin, and a shiny coat. Great for all fur types and pets of all ages, including seniors.
- Lush lather powered by coconut oil – Lathers great for a super-sudsy wash and rinses well. Powered by natural essential oils, this plant-based dog shampoo bar has no toxic chemicals, artificial colors, fragrances, dyes, parabens, phthalates, or sulfates. Cruelty-free.
- Fast & easy-to-use – Much easier to use than liquid shampoo when trying to cleanse a wriggling pet, this dog and cat shampoo bar goes on easily and washes out in half the time. Make bath time more convenient. Scrub coat with one hand at bath time. Celebrate with the other!
- Long – lasting – This vegan pet soap bar lasts 5 times longer than 16 oz liquid shampoo, and produces no plastic waste! Each shampoo bar comes with a natural cedarwood holder. Made in the USA from natural essential oils and other plant-derived.
Some dog owners find that a shampoo bar is easier to use on their wiggling pups than liquid shampoo. Wondercide’s Oatmeal Honey & Extra Moisturizing Pet Shampoo Bar for Dogs and Cats glides on easily with one hand and washes out in half the time.
This vegan shampoo bar contains honey, a natural humectant, which means that it will attract and retain moisture to your dog’s skin. It is also an anti-irritant, making it suitable for canines with sensitive skin. Combined with aloe, the honey in this shampoo bar will keep your pet’s coat healthy, shiny, and conditioned.
One reviewer exclaimed, “I love that it isn’t a liquid and can be easily rubbed all over a wet pup and then worked into a terrific lather. It really gets a deep clean like nothing else and rinses easily and thoroughly. My dog is finally a SOFT, clean-feeling doggo! He gets a bath once a month, we moved to the country and he spends a fair amount of time outdoors and now since using this product, he remains soft, clean-feeling, and doesn’t stink at all and he’s 140 lbs! It’s truly a miracle lifesaver for us and this big love of ours.”
- A shampoo bar is easier to use on a wiggling pup
- Contains honey, a natural humectant
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- Great for all fur types
Summary of the 4 Best Oatmeal Dog Shampoos
|1||Overall||Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo – Fragrance-Free|
|2||Budget||Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey|
|3||Frangranced||Dechra Dermallay Oatmeal Shampoo|
|4||Shampoo Bar||Wondercide – Oatmeal Honey & Extra Moisturizing Pet Shampoo Bar|
- The 6 Best Interactive Dog Toys: Reviewed for 2022 Interactive dog toys help stimulate your dog mentally while decreasing boredom. Learn about the best interactive dog toys in this review.
- The 4 Best Dog Sleeping Bags: Reviewed for 2022 Want to take your dog camping or backpacking in the great outdoors? Here’s some highly recommended dog sleeping bags for indoor or outdoor fun.
- The 6 Best Dog Pajamas: Reviewed for 2022 Find out about some great choices in dog pajamas for holidays, cold winter nights, and other occasions.
The 4 Best Oatmeal Dog Shampoos 2022: Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What’s so great about colloidal oatmeal?
Humans have used colloidal oatmeal for centuries. They used it to treat a wide variety of skin conditions, including dryness, redness, itchiness, and eczema. Now we understand the science behind this powerful natural ingredient, and we know that dogs can also benefit from its soothing and healing properties.
The right dog shampoo containing colloidal oatmeal can help calm and heal your pet’s irritated, itchy skin. With continued use, it will help to maintain healthy skin and a soft, shiny coat.
How often can I bathe my dog with oatmeal shampoo?
If your dog has healthy skin, you can bathe her once a month. More frequent baths can dry out her skin. If your pet currently has a skin condition, you may bathe her with oatmeal shampoo once or twice a week if your veterinarian advises you to do so.
Is oatmeal dog shampoo good for itchy skin?
Yes. Whether your dog’s skin is irritated from allergies, sensitivities, or insect bites, oatmeal dog shampoo can help relieve and heal her dry, itchy skin.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.