|#1:Best Overall — Whistle Health and Fitness Ultimate Dog GPS Tracker GO Explore||Whistle Health and Fitness Ultimate Dog GPS Tracker GO Explore|
|Best for Dog Activity Monitoring: FitBark 2 Activity Monitor||FitBark 2 Activity Monitor|
|Best for Location Monitoring: PETFON Pet GPS Tracker||PETFON Pet GPS Tracker|
|Best Dog Tracker Chip: Humane Tribe Smart Pet ID Locator Tag||Humane Tribe Smart Pet ID Locator Tag|
|Best Budget-Friendly Option: CUBE Real-Time GPS Dog & Cat Tracker||CUBE Real-Time GPS Dog & Cat Tracker|
What is the best dog GPS tracker? It depends on your needs and preferences regarding this device. Along with location monitoring, some dog GPS trackers have activity monitoring too. These devices can track calories, movement, sleep, and more.
One dog GPS tracker may be waterproof, durable, pull-resistant, and able to fit on any collar or halter. Another dog GPS tracker may go beyond that with features like an LED light or lights, ringing alarms, LIVE mode monitoring, and a long-lasting battery. Your choice depends on the features that are important to you.
Some owners make their choice based on what they like to do with their dogs. Think of a dog owner who loves to take their dog along on camping and hunting trips. The owner is likely to choose a pull-resistant dog GPS tracker with accurate location monitoring for trips to the woods. If the dog likes to jump into creeks or lakes, the owner is going to search out a waterproof device. Furthermore, the person is probably going to look for a device with an LED light and ringing sounds so if the dog becomes lost, it will be easier to locate in a forest, woods, or nature park.
Alternatively, a person who likes to take their dog on neighborhood walks and to the dog park is not going to need all of those features in a dog GPS tracker. The person is likely to opt for a simple location monitoring device that allows them to set up a safe roaming area for their dog.
Verified Review: Hands-On Experience
Some impressions of the PETFON tracking device include: “I can track my dog’s location perfectly!” “It’s reliable and accurate…”
The popular Whistle brand has a dog GPS tracker and activity monitor that’s receiving positive feedback such as: “..love the long battery life with this tracking device…” and, “I like being able to create and monitor health goals for my dog…”
Read on to learn more about our picks for the best dog GPS trackers.
The Top Picks for Best Dog GPS Tracker: Ranked
#1:Best Overall —Whistle Health and Fitness Ultimate Dog GPS Tracker GO Explore
- Subscription required. Plan covers location tracking with GPS, health and fitness monitoring, including proactive notifications, alerts, health reports and more. Yearly $8.25/mo.
- Location Tracking. Set up alerts and quickly locate your pet, whether they’ve made a sneaky escape, or are 3,000 miles away. Receive notifications if your pet's location leaves a designated safe area. Using AT&T nationwide network and Google maps, this collar can track your dog’s location with 15 second updates. Requires Wi-Fi connection.
- Health, Nutrition, & Activity Tracking. Monitor activity levels, calories, distance, and activity, along with behaviors like licking, scratching, and sleeping to keep an eye on potential health problems. Get recommendations on food portions based on activity levels, breed, age, and weight. Email a 30-day report to your vet.
- 20 - Day Battery, Built - In Night Light. Use the app to choose between 3 safety night light settings, slow flash, fast flash or always on. The long-lasting battery goes up to 20 days on a single charge for your greatest adventures.
- Chat With A Vet. Your Whistle subscription gives you access to on-demand veterinary help through chat, phone or email––right from the Whistle app. Powered by the VETINSIGHT team of licensed veterinary professionals, you'll get expert advice and guidance from the comfort of your home.
The varied features of this product made by Whistle Labs have earned it our pick for the best overall dog GPS tracker. It provides location monitoring that includes sending an owner an alert if their dog leaves a specific location. The smart tracker updates every 15 seconds to give you the exact location of your dog.
This best overall dog GPS tracker also provides activity monitoring. An owner enters their dog’s information including weight, age, and breed. Health goals are set based on those criteria. Calories and movement are monitored along with behaviors like excessive scratching or licking. All of this is delivered in a succinct report to an owner via email.
This collar tracker attaches to any type of harness or collar. It’s waterproof and has a battery life of 20 days before a recharge is necessary.
A bright LED light with a choice of three settings is a feature of the collar tracker making it easy to see the dog’s movements at night.
Whistle’s GO Explore dog GPS tracker operates on Wi-Fi and is available with an $8.25 monthly subscription plan. The initial cost of the tracking device is budget-friendly. It’s available in gray, purple, and green.
A disadvantage of this tracking device is there has been a mixed response regarding the effectiveness of the app.
Click here to check out Whistle Health and Fitness Ultimate Dog GPS Tracker GO Explore on amazon.com.
Best for Dog Activity Monitoring:FitBark 2 Activity Monitor
- 🐾 ACTIVITY. Monitor activity, sleep quality, distance, calorie balance and overall health & behavior 24/7. Set ideal goals vs. breed, age & weight peers. Add multiple dogs and owners in our apps. iOS 12+ or Android 6+ required.
- 🔋 BATTERY. Exceptional battery life up to 6 months. Worry less about recharging and more about bonding with your pup! Lightweight (10 g). Fits dogs of any size and most collars up to 1.5” wide. Tough, rugged and waterproof.
- 👩⚕️ HEALTH. Catch early signs of discomfort or disease. Monitor mobility, anxiety and skin conditions through changes in the FitBark Health Index and Sleep Score. Invite your trainer or veterinarian to review FitBark data.
- 🏃♀️ MOTIVATION. Works with your Fitbit, Apple Watch, Apple HealthKit or Google Fit wearable device or smartphone. Compare stats side by side and start building healthy & safe habits together. FitBark Clock Face available on the Fitbit Gallery.
- 🎓 SCIENCE. Trusted by 100+ veterinary schools & research institutions that strive to advance science, including the University of Cambridge and the Mayo Clinic. Join users from 140+ countries in advocating for safer and better informed dog parenting.
We tested this activity monitoring tracker by FitBark and found it keeps track of calories, movement, distance traveled, and even sleep quality 24/7.
An owner receives a detailed weekly activity report. We noted the report even compares a dog’s data for the current week with the past week. This is ideal for an owner who has specific health goals for their dog.
One of the best features of this activity monitoring tracker is its battery life goes up to six months.
This device fits collars up to one and a half inches in width. Plus, it’s waterproof and pull-resistant.
Dog owners and their dogs are able to monitor their exercise together. The FitBark 2 can be linked to FitBit or GoogleFit among others.
One drawback is it’s only for activity monitoring. So, it’s not an option for a dog owner who wants a GPS device.
Click here to check out FitBark 2 Activity Monitor on amazon.com.
Best for Location Monitoring:PETFON Pet GPS Tracker
- 🐕NO MONTHLY FEE, ANTI-LOST RADAR SERCHING: Petfon GPS tracker is free of any service fee or monthly fee.The small, durable, and rainproof device allows you to track your pet's activity and pinpoint his/her location in real time. Petfon GPS tracker combines GPS, WiFi, bluetooth, and long distance wireless technologies for accurate real-time positioning.The unique Rada serching feature can help you find the direction of the lost dogs.
- 🐕REAL-TIME & LONG DISTANCE TRACKING: Petfon GPS Tracker is easy to install and use. Just download the Petfon app and follow the instructions. With the app, you can view your pet's activities and pinpoint his location at any time. The tracking ranges can be up to 0.65 miles in downtown/dense space and 3.5 miles in an open environment. But it will be effected by surarroundings.
- 🐕GEOFENCING,MULTICOLOR ALERT,CUSTOMIZABLE VOICE COMMAND: With Petfon GPS tracker you can define a safe area around your pet's location and get notified instantly if your pet leaves that area. You can also activate the colorful lights on the GPS tracker to locate your pet more easily in dim light or at night time. Voice commands can be recorded and stored on the tracker to communicate with your pets remotely.
- 🐕LONG STANDBY BATTERY,LIGHT WEIGHT & RAINPROOF: The Petfon GPS tracker is small and durable (42mm*42mm*18mm, Weight: 27.6g). The rainproof feature enables it to work in wet weather but do not working for swimming. Petfon GPS Tracker's battery can last up to 8-16 hours and comes with a compact charging station. It can recharge the device multiple times, which is perfect for going off the grid.
- 🐕Different from Petfon1, Petfon2 is blue rather than grey, and it is sturdier and more dirt resistant. Petfon2 firmware and software have been optimized so it is more sensitive & stable. The tracking distance is 15% further and the initial positioning time is 10 seconds shorter than Petfon1, which makes the tracking quicker and more accurate.
Our reviewers rated this product number one for location monitoring due to its quickness and accuracy. It can pinpoint the location of a dog in LIVE mode in an urban or rural area.
Our reviewers noted this location monitoring device doesn’t require a monthly subscription plan.
A dog owner can specify a safe area for their pet as well as an area where the animal should not go. The owner is notified by alarm if the dog goes out of its safe area.
Our testing found this pull-resistant collar tracker to be durable as well as waterproof. It features several colorful lights and ringing sounds helping an owner see and locate the dog more easily. Each red, yellow, blue, green, and purple LED light can easily be seen in dark areas.
The battery has eight to 16 hours of life before needing a recharge.
One of the downsides of this location monitoring device is it needs recharging on a more frequent basis than other dog GPS trackers.
Click here to check out PETFON Pet GPS Tracker on amazon.com.
Best Dog Tracker Chip:Humane Tribe Smart Pet ID Locator Tag
- ✅ Functions as an External Microchip - Tag Includes Embedded NFC Chip, Unique QR Code, Short URL, and the Humane Tribe Hotline access to connect the Pet w/ their Owner
- ✅ Real-Time Text Message Alerts - When the Humane Tribe Tag is accessed by a Viewer, the Pet Owner will be notified instantly via SMS/text message
- ✅ Email Notifications with GPS Location Sharing - When the tag is accessed by a Viewer, the Pet Owner will receive an email that includes the pet's location (when shared) w/ driving directions provided by Google Maps
- ✅ 24/7 Access to View/Edit/Share Online Pet Profile - Better than a traditional tag or data hidden in a implanted microchip, the online pet profile allows the pet's owner to add pet data, contact details, medical information, and much more that automatically syncs with the tag in real-time via our proprietary TagSync technology
- ✅ No batteries or cellular service plans needed! The best pet tag to compliment a traditional pet id tag, a pet microchip, or use as a stand-alone smart pet id tag! Keep your pet protected & connected with the Humane Tribe!
This dog tracker chip is on a tag attached to the dog’s collar. Our testing of this tracker chip revealed it has a QR code containing pertinent information about the dog.
This tracker chip is durable, and no monthly subscription plan is necessary. It’s available at a very low cost.
One downside of this tracker chip is another person must scan the QR code or call the number on the tag to let the owner know the dog has been found.
Click here to check out Humane Tribe Smart Pet ID Locator Tag on amazon.com.
Best Budget-Friendly Option: CUBE Real-Time GPS Dog & Cat Tracker
Our evaluation of this smart dog tracking device revealed a battery life of 10 to 60 days after charging.
An owner is able to set up a geofence to monitor in real-time whether the dog is in its safe area.
It requires a monthly subscription and operates on Wi-Fi. The app sends an owner an alert if the dog wanders from a designated area.
This pull-resistant tracking device fits on a variety of collars.
One drawback of this collar tracker is it may be a little heavy for the collar of a toy, or small dog.
Click here to check out CUBE Real-Time GPS Dog & Cat Tracker on chewy.com.
The Best Dog Tracker: Pros and Cons Tracker Chip on a Tag and Collar Tracker Compared
Tracker Chip on a Tag
|Reasonable cost||Not always a smart tracker|
|Lightweight||Not a secure fit on a collar|
Collar Tracker Device
|Secure fit on a collar or halter||Monthly subscription plan|
|LIVE mode location monitoring is available|
Last update on 2022-05-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The 5 Best Dog GPS Trackers: Reviewed for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do dog GPS & activity trackers work?
A smart tracker with GPS and activity monitoring is a device put onto a dog’s collar. It shares information about the dog’s location via an app. A dog owner with a Wi-Fi connection and a phone or tablet can monitor the movements of their dog in LIVE mode.
Normally, a monthly subscription plan is necessary for access to this service. Activity monitoring is available on some dog GPS trackers. This type of monitoring keeps track of the calories consumed by a dog, its daily exercise, and sleeping activity. An activity report is sent via email to the pet’s owner.
How much does a GPS tracker cost for a dog?
The initial cost of a GPS tracker device ranges from $130 to $200 and sometimes more. A monthly subscription plan can be as low as $8.25. The monthly subscription should be factored into the budget for this device.
How accurate are GPS dog trackers?
Some GPS dog trackers have LIVE mode meaning an owner knows exactly where the dog is the moment they click onto the app. Alternatively, some GPS dog trackers monitor a pet’s location with a delay of ten seconds before being updated.