|1. Overall Best: Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap||Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap|
|2. Best Winter Hat for Dogs: RC Pet Products Dog Neck Warmer||RC Pet Products Dog Neck Warmer|
|3. Best Sun Hat for Dogs: PupLclass Trucker Hat for Dogs||PupLclass Trucker Hat for Dogs|
|4. Best Dog Party Hat: Frisco Birthday Cake Dog & Cat Hat||Frisco Birthday Cake Dog & Cat Hat|
|5. Best Value in Dog Hats: Idomik Christmas Dog Hat||Idomik Christmas Dog Hat|
- You should measure the circumference of your dog’s head to get it’s proper hat size. You do this by wrapping the tape measure around the top of the head, the front of the ears, and under the chin.
- While dog hats are fun for special occasions of celebration, they can also protect your dog’s eyes and skin from UV rays, and keep its head warm and dry in bad weather.
- A good dog hat should be made of material that is pet-friendly, and can best be held on with an adjustable strap.
Dog hats can serve multiple purposes. Obviously, you may find it fun to dress up your pooch in some cute hat for a holiday or other special occasion for photo ops or the admiration of your friends. But hats can actually benefit dogs in similar ways to humans. While we often wear hats to help shield our eyes from bright sunlight, dog’s eyes are also sensitive to sunlight, and can benefit from some shading. And some dog breeds with thin hair can also use protection for their facial skin from UV rays. Dog hats can also protect dogs’ heads from cold or wet weather.
When you think of hats for dogs, your first thought is probably about protection. The best dog hat shields your precious pooch from sun, wind, cold, and wetness. Can one hat do all that? We researched for you, and we came up with five great hats that will help your dog live a better life.
How To Use a Dog Hat
How to choose the right hat for your dog
When choosing a hat for your dog, think about the conditions your dog is likely to face.
Wet weather: For mostly wet weather, choose a waterproof hat with a protective brim. The Stormy Kromer and PupLid Trucker Hat are both good choices as they’re waterproof, wind-proof, and long-brimmed.
Chilly days: Small hats for dogs like the RC Pet Products Neck Warmer and the Idomik Christmas Dog Hat are ideal for dogs who need a little extra warmth. These winter hats for dogs have an added benefit. Some people have found that covering a dog’s ears can help the dog stay calm in stressful situations.
Fierce winter: Small, short-haired dogs or those who are sensitive to cold may need extra protection when venturing outdoors during winter snowfalls. You may want to combine a neck warmer with a warm hat.
Strong sun: Trips to the mountain or the beach can expose your dog to an extra dose of sunshine. Protect your pup’s eyes and sensitive facial skin with a hat designed to keep the sun out. The PupLid Trucker Hat is a good choice for sunny days. A dog bucket hat is another style that can shield your dog from the rays.
How to get the right size
The head circumference is your dog’s total head size and can be found by measuring all the way around the front your dog’s head (from the top of the head, in front of the ears, under the chin, and back up). The forehead is the space between the ears on the top of the head.
For most hats, you should measure your dog’s head circumference by measuring around the front of your dog’s head. You wrap a tape measure around the top of head, in front of the ears, under the chin, and up the other side. Sizing varies a lot between manufacturers, including makers of custom dog hats. Check each brand’s sizing chart to ensure you get the right one for your pup.
Protect Your Pup with a Hat
Dog hats can be fun, functional, or both. Whether you choose a dog beanie or a dog trucker cap, your dog will enjoy wearing it. With the hats on our list, your pet will enjoy the outdoors a lot more.
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
There are many hats for dogs, and narrowing it down to just a handful was not easy. We researched over 20 different styles and types of dog hats, seeking ones made of materials that are comfortable, durable and safe for your dog’s skin. We gathered options of small and large hats for dogs, and looked at occasions that might warrant hat-wearing, like a birthday party or Christmas. We also pored over customer reviews of these items to make sure they held up and fit well.
Our overall top choice was the Stormy Kromer Kritter Cromer Pet Cap. This covered all the bases by being wind-proof, waterproof, and warm.
Several reviewers were surprised by how much they liked the RC Pet Corner Neck Warmer hats. These small hats for dogs are deceptively simple but offer real warmth. One reviewer said they were also useful for keeping his dog calm during a vet visit or hearing the dreaded vacuum cleaner.
The PupLid Trucker Hat scored as the best sun hat for dogs. Reviewers liked its quality construction and large, protective dog visor. Two of them said they got compliments from strangers on their cute hats.
Reviewers had high praise for our value-priced hat, too. The Idomik Christmas Dog Hat has a snowflake pattern your dog can wear all winter. Customers liked its soft, knitted fabric and the extra warmth it provided on the chest and neck. With its cheerful color and cute pom-pom, reviewers said this was definitely the most stylish hat on our list.
Top 5 Dog Hats
1. Overall Best: Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap
Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Cap - Decorative Wool Pet Hat
The Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap is our choice of the overall best dog hat. This fleece dog hat is made by Stormy Kromer, a company that’s known for its high-quality hats and outdoor wear for humans. This wool hat is waterproof and wind-proof to supply protection for dogs in all kinds of weather. Styled like a dog baseball cap, the hat has a long brim to shield your pup from the sun or rain. Our reviewers were impressed by the quality of this dog hat and its thick, durable fabric.
- Soft, durable polyester fleece.
- Wind-proof and waterproof.
- Adjustable strap for secure fit.
- Available in four colors.
- Comes in S, M or L.
Click here to check out Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap on Amazon.com
2. Best Winter Hat for Dogs: RC Pet Products Dog Neck Warmer
- Highly reflective yarn for maximum visibility in low light
- The tight knit will keep your dog warm on chilly winter days
- Drawstring cinch closure at the head
- Easy care - Machine wash - Lay flat to dry
- Small measurements: neck length - 9.5", neck circumference 11-15", head circumference 9-13"
Although it’s described as a neck warmer, this clever double-duty scarf can be worn over your dog’s ears to keep them toasty. Dogs have sensitive skin on their ears, and this soft, lightweight cover will help them stay covered. Some of our reviewers said their dogs preferred wearing it as a scarf. Others said the covered ears were a hit with their pups, especially small dogs.
These small hats for dogs are knitted in reflective yarn for visibility at night. They have drawstring closures that make them easy to put on your dog.
- Lightweight, warm fabric.
- Reflective yarn for visibility.
- Can be worn as a scarf or ear cover.
- Soft and comfortable for most dogs.
- Cute knitted design.
Click here to check out RC Pet Products Dog Neck Warmer on Amazon.com
3. Best Sun Hat for Dogs: PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs
- VETERINARIAN MOM & ENGINEER DAD CREATED the first puplid for their sun-sensitive dog, Buddy. It worked so well protecting Buddy's eyes from the sun, they wanted to share puplids with every dog. [Read the PupLid Story]
- A HAT YOUR DOG WILL ACTUALLY WEAR: comes in six sizes, easy to put on and fits comfortably around the ears due to its patented design. [Watch our Step-by-Step Video on Introducing Your Pup to a Puplid]
- PREMIUM MATERIAL & HAND FINISHED in USA: made from the same materials as the highest quality human hats. Express your pup’s unique personality with the perfect combination of head-turning style, design and color [And match their style with PupLid trucker hats for people.]
- NEW 2nd GENERATION (Launched Jan '22): Gen 2 puplids have stronger mesh, reinforced stitching and fray proof elastic tips for enhanced style and improved durability.
- BREEDS WHO WEAR LARGE PUPLIDS: Labrador Retriever(larger), German Shepherd(larger), Golden Retriever(larger), Bulldog, Rottweiler, Bernese Mountain Dog(smaller), Great Dane, Mastiff(smaller), Doberman(larger) [Size Chart Below]
Designed by an engineer and a veterinarian, this trucker hat is as functional as it is stylish. This dog baseball cap has a large brim to shield your dog’s eyes from the sun and protect the sensitive skin on his face.
A proprietary Furfect fit closure means this hat will stay on your dog no matter how active she is. Our reviewers said this hat didn’t fall off, looked cute, and worked well to protect doggy eyes. The sizing chart includes suggested head size, neck size, and weight for the right fit.
- Extra-long dog visor.
- Durable, cotton-blend fabric.
- Velcro chin strap and locking closure.
- Comes in several cute designs.
- Available in Tiny, XXS, XS, M and L.
Click here to check out PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs on Amazon.com
4. Best Dog Party Hat: Frisco Birthday Cake Dog & Cat Hat
Celebrate your pet’s birthday with this fun birthday hat. The colorful hat looks like a birthday cake that sits on your dog’s head. The cake is complete with frosting, candles, and the words “Happy Birthday” on it. This hat has an adjustable chin strap that makes it comfortable for almost any dog to wear. Your dog will be the star with this dog party hat. It comes in two sizes: XS/SM for miniature to small dogs with a head circumference of 6.5-11.5 inches or MD/LG for medium to large dogs with heads measuring 8-16 inches.
- Soft, plush polyester fabric construction.
- Adjustable to fit most dogs.
- Sizes XS/SM and MD/LG
- Goes with any party costume.
- Comfortable fit.
Click here to check out Frisco Birthday Cake Dog & Cat Hat on Chewy.com
5. Best Value in Dog Hats: Idomik Christmas Dog Hat
- 💗 Made of acrylic fibers, soft, elastic and thick, to keep your pappy/kitten warm and comfortable
- 💗 Perfect for daily wearing, or taking part in parties or wearing on festivals like Christmas, let them join in your parties. Or just wearing it for fun when photo shoting or making short vedios
- 💗 Pull over design, this scarf is easy to put on and take off. This knitting hat can not only keep pet’s Neck and Ear warm in the could weather, autumn and winter, but make them look more cute
- 💗 High elastic hats fit dogs well, ensures comforty. size S-XL are available for small and medium dogs/Pappy/Doggy and Cats/kitten
- 💗 Christmas Dog Hat Costume For Small And Medium Dogs & Cats Warm Winter Dog Knitting Hat Cute Puppy Neck Ear Warmer/Protector Funny Teddy Pet Cap With Pompon Cozy Red Knit Headwear For Pets
Although it’s described as a costume hat or Christmas hat, this adorable cap offers serious protection to pups who need some help staying warm.
The snowflake design is cute for any winter day, and the knitted fabric is soft and cozy. This hat has a unique design that wraps around your dog’s neck for even more warmth. Covered ears help your pup stay toasty and may offer a calming benefit to dogs stressed out by storms, vet visits, and other events.
- Soft, knitted acrylic.
- Easy pullover style.
- Keeps neck, ears and head warm.
- Adorable design in bright red.
- Available in S, L, M and XL.
Click here to check out Idomik Christmas Dog Hat on Amazon.com
Summary of the 5 Best Hats for Dogs
|1||Overall||Stormy Kromer Critter Kromer Pet Cap|
|2||Winter Hat||RC Pet Products Dog Neck Warmer|
|3||Party Hat||PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs|
|4||Party Hat||Frisco Birthday Cake Dog & Cat Hat|
|5||Value||Idomik Christmas Dog Hat|
- The 6 Best Interactive Dog Toys: Reviewed for 2022 Interactive dog toys help stimulate your dog mentally while decreasing boredom. Learn about the best interactive dog toys in this review.
- The 4 Best Dog Sleeping Bags: Reviewed for 2022 Want to take your dog camping or backpacking in the great outdoors? Here’s some highly recommended dog sleeping bags for indoor or outdoor fun.
- The 6 Best Dog Pajamas: Reviewed for 2022 Find out about some great choices in dog pajamas for holidays, cold winter nights, and other occasions.
Last update on 2022-08-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The 5 Best Hats for Dogs: Reviewed FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is it cruel to put a hat on a dog?
It is only cruel to put a dog on a hat if your dog hates it. Make sure any dog beanie, dog party hat, or dog bucket hat is comfortable for your pup. If your dog seems irritated by the hat, remove it at once.
Most dogs enjoy wearing clothes, including hats. Look for a hat that is lightweight, comfortable, and easy for your dog to wear.
If you’re putting together a costume, choose a matching dog party hat.
Should dogs wear hats?
Sometimes, dogs need extra protection from the elements. This is especially true of small, short-haired dogs who don’t have a protective double coat. Small hats for dogs will help your little one stay cozy, even in cold weather.
Many dogs need protection from the rain. These dogs can suffer from hypothermia if their fur gets wet and cold. When you’re walking in stormy weather, a waterproof hat or dog bucket hat will keep the rain from soaking your pup’s fur. Small hats for dogs are designed to be comfortable on tiny breeds.
Senior dogs, puppies, and dogs with some medical conditions may also need extra warmth.
Even big, shaggy dogs can use extra protection at times. Dogs with thin, sensitive skin may need a sunshade. A sun hat for dogs is a good idea if you plan to spend many hours outdoors, especially at the beach or in mountain areas. The sun is strong in these locations, and a dog baseball cap or dog visor may be a good choice.
Some people like to dress up their dogs. If your dog enjoys wearing different outfits, a cute dog beanie will add some style. Go all out with custom dog hats designed to match all your dog’s clothing.
Do hats keep dogs warm?
Winter hats for dogs will help them stay warm. These hats are usually made from thick, knitted fabrics that feel soft and cozy. A lightweight knit will be more comfortable, but you may need a heavier knit for fierce winter storms.
If you want protection from snow and rain without too much warmth, look for a wind-proof hat that will shield your dog from cold breezes.
How do you keep a hat on a dog?
Dogs move around a lot. How do you keep your dog covered while also keeping him comfortable?
The design of the hat makes all the difference. Some winter hats for dogs are designed to cover the dog’s face and neck like a hoodie. These hats will stay on more securely than loose hats that just sit on the head.
A sun hat for dogs may have a strap that helps it stay on. A dog bucket hat is more likely to stay on than a dog baseball cap. If you choose custom dog hats, you can design them to have the features you need.
Do dogs need hats in the winter?
Some dogs need winter hats. These hats can be knitted or made from a durable, smooth fabric. Some dogs should not get their fur wet, and a waterproof hat can keep them safe.
Short-haired dogs, elderly dogs, and dogs who feel the cold may need the extra warmth of a snuggly hat. For these dogs, a hat that includes a neck warmer may be the most comforting style.