If your dog was recently diagnosed with diabetes, he’s not alone. Dogs and cats can develop blood sugar problems just like humans and may require insulin and monitoring of their levels. Your veterinarian may have recommended that you purchase a monitoring device or glucometer starter kit to help you record levels on a blood sugar chart to ensure your dog receives the correct dose of insulin.
Worrying about your diabetic dog is enough; you don’t need the added stress of sifting through all the glucometers for dogs that are available online. We’ve worked to simplify the process for you by putting together these reviews of some of the top options on the market.
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
We worked closely with some friends who have diabetic pups to test these glucometers for dogs. We wanted to make sure that each product was reliable and performed as expected. Here are a few additional observations we had during the testing process:
- AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Monitoring Starter Kit: We like how easy this glucometer is to use and have found that it gives very accurate readings. However, it is more expensive than other similar models and the test tips are pricier as well.
- Pet Control HQ Blood Sugar Glucose Monitor System: When we compared the results from this glucometer to what the monitor at the vet said, we noticed that they were very accurate. We like the value of this set and all the supplies that are included with the meter. One thing we didn’t like about this kit was the lancing device. It didn’t seem to work as well as others we have tried.
- iPet PRO Blood Glucose Monitoring System: For a budget-pick, we found that this monitor was very accurate. We really like that we only needed a very small blood sample from our dog and that the readings were displayed very quickly. However, we also had some trouble using the lancing device with this kit as well.
The Top Picks for the Best Glucometers for Dogs: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Glucometer for Dogs: AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Monitoring Starter Kit
We selected the AlphaTRAK 2 Starter Kit as our overall top pick. We found that there was a lot to like about this glucometer and also thought it was very easy to use.
One of our favorite things about the monitor is that you only need to get a small blood sample from your pet, which means they won’t experience as much pain or stress during the testing process. This glucometer is also very accurate, which is essential when working with your veterinarian to make treatment and dosage decisions for your dog. It is calibrated for use with dogs and cats.
When you purchase this kit, you’ll receive everything you need to monitor your dog’s blood sugar level. The meter, 50 test strips/tips, 30 lancets, a lancing device, and a control solution are all included. Each purchase also includes a convenient carrying case so you can always have your dog’s testing supplies on hand. When you run out of testing tips, lancets, or control solutions, you can purchase replacements from AlphaTRAK.
Click here to check out AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Monitoring Starter Kit on amazon.com
- VET-APPROVED FOR FAST & RELIABLE RESULTS: The Pet Control HQ Glucose Monitoring Kit with Strips is trusted by Veterinarians to get fast and accurate glucose readings for diabetic pets; Our pet glucometer Kit uses premium GDH enzyme collaborating test strips (stored in a temperature-controlled vial) and has 2 Code-Chips (one for dogs, one for cats) for more consistent and accurate test results that will help your furry friends stay safe
- COMPLETE GLUCOSE MONITORING SYSTEM: The Pet Control HQ Glucose Starter Kit includes everything you need to start accurately monitoring your dogs' and cats' diabetes. This starter kit contains Glucometer, 50 blood glucose test strips, 2 Code-Chips (one for dogs and one for cats), 50 Lancets, Lancing Device, Control Solution, Carrying Case, Log Book, User’s Manual, Quick Reference Guide
- EASY FOR HOME LAB-ACCURATE TESTING: This diabetes testing kit lets you easily and precisely monitor blood sugar in the comfort of your home. With these diabetic supplies you’ll enjoy peace of mind and stay on top of your pet’s diabetes to keep them safe and healthy. Pet Control HQ Glucometer requires small blood sample (only 0.6µL) which makes blood sugar testing as painless and stress-free as possible
- 10 SECOND TEST RESULTS: Our Blood Glucose Meter with easy one button testing operation and easy-to-read 10-second test results gives Pet Parents confidence to take care of their diabetic pooches and kittens - without the stress of vet visits. Fast Results with a high level of accuracy with correct use, on the first try
- 2 CODE-CHIP FOR CATS & DOGS: Insulin levels differ in cats and dogs. That’s why your cat and dog blood glucose monitor with our unique 2 Code-Chip test strips (one chip calibrated for your K9, the other for your kitty). Plus, the included data-tracking log book lets you track and share your pets readings with your vet for added confidence
The Pet Control HQ Blood Sugar Glucose Monitor System is another excellent choice to consider. This is a trusted brand that many veterinarians recommend, and it can help you get accurate glucose readings for your pup. The glucometer kit utilizes GDH enzyme test strips for accuracy. It is designed with two code-chips, one for dogs and one for cats, for enhanced accuracy.
This is a starter kit for those new to monitoring glucose levels. It includes the glucometer, two code chips (for dogs and cats), 50 test strips, 50 lancets, a lancing device, control solution, a logbook, user’s manual, and carrying case. The glucometer is designed to be user-friendly to help dog owners easily monitor their pup’s glucose levels. Test results are displayed after just 10 seconds.
Click here to check out Pet Control HQ Blood Sugar Glucose Monitor System on amazon.com
Budget Pick: iPet PRO Blood Glucose Monitoring System
- COMPLETE TEST KIT: Starter kit contains everything need to start measuring your pet’s blood glucose. This set has a meter, test strips, lance device, control solution, and gauge lancets. Plus, a high-quality case to store the meter and accessories.
- EASY HOME CARE: iPet Pro makes it easy to monitor your diabetic pet’s glucose and keep them healthy. Results in just five seconds with a high level of accuracy. Glucose levels are measured during times that a pet is relaxed and in its regular routine.
- ACCURATE READINGS: Exceeds the minimum acceptable accuracy criteria specified in ISO 15197:2013.
- BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR DOG OR CAT. Better control over glucose levels may help minimize complication and avoid unnecessary emergency or vet clinic visits Not for human use.
- 25+ YEARS OF CARE: UltiCare continues to create products and medicines designed with care in mind.
If you’re on a tight budget, but still need to be able to monitor your dog’s glucose levels, we’d recommend the iPet PRO Blood Glucose Monitoring System. This is also a complete starter kit that includes all the necessary devices and supplies to test and track a dog’s glucose levels. The glucometer, lancing device, test strips, gauge lancets, control solution, and storage case are all included with the kit.
The iPet PRO glucometer is designed to be easy to use and highly accurate. It will display results after only 5 seconds. The device also exceeds the minimum acceptable accuracy criteria to give you peace of mind that the results you see are correct.
This glucometer is specifically designed for veterinary use with dogs or cats.
Click here to check out iPet PRO Blood Glucose Monitoring System on amazon.com
How to Choose the Best Glucometers for Dogs
Choosing the right monitoring device to keep track of your dog’s glucose levels is an important task. Proper management and treatment of their diabetes depend on getting accurate readings. Use the buying guide below to help you identify a few key considerations to help you shop for the right glucometer.
Quality and Accuracy
Clearly, the most important criteria when choosing a glucometer for dogs should be accuracy. Without accurate readings, there is really no point in using a glucometer for your dog. You will need accurate readings to share with your veterinarian to properly manage and dose your pup.
To check for accuracy, you can read reviews from other users or ask your veterinarian for their thoughts on each glucometer you’re considering. Choosing a product from a respected brand can also help ensure you’re making a good choice.
Ease of Use
Next, consider how user-friendly each monitoring device is. Handheld models may be easier to use and less bulky than other options. Reading the directions for the different starter kits or handheld devices you’re considering can help you get a feel for how user-friendly each choice will be.
Finally, consider your budget. You should not only account for the price for the starter kit, handheld meter, or other devices themselves, but also for the recurring expenses of testing your dog. Look up the cost of purchasing compatible test strips/tips for each of the monitors you’re considering to make sure they won’t be prohibitively expensive.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Glucometers for Dogs: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can you use a human glucose meter for dogs?
No, a human glucose meter should not be used for dogs. They will not provide an accurate reading for a dog because the way blood sugar is stored is quite different between humans and dogs. While nearly half of a human’s blood glucose if in their red blood cells, only about 12 to 13% of a dog’s glucose is in their red blood cells.
What glucose can I give my dog?
It is best to check with your dog’s veterinarian before giving them any glucose or insulin.
How do you monitor a dog’s blood sugar?
To monitor a dog’s blood sugar levels, you’ll need a glucometer designed for dogs. Recording the levels on a blood sugar chart and sharing the information with your veterinarian can help with the proper management of your dog’s diabetes.
Can I check my dog’s blood sugar at home?
Yes, a dog glucometer can help you monitor your dog’s sugar levels at home and record them on a blood sugar chart. This can be very useful information to share with your veterinarian and can help determine the appropriate insulin dose for your pup.
How can I lower my dog’s blood sugar naturally?
Check with your veterinarian for specific recommendations based on your dog’s health and diabetic needs, but some herbal remedies may help lower blood sugar levels. These include:
• Bitter melon
Where is the best place to take blood from a dog?
Taking blood from a dog’s elbow callus is typically the recommended approach. This area should yield sufficient blood and won’t cause a dog much pain.
What should a dog’s glucose level be?
While glucose levels can vary depending on the time of day, a healthy dog’s level will typically be between 100 and 250 mg/dL. Diabetic dogs typically have a range somewhere between 90 and 216 mg/dL. If you notice changes in the typical range for your dog, you should consult with your veterinarian.