Tactical dog vests are designed to protect pups and make it possible for them to hold gear and other essential items. Tactical dog vests are often used for service dogs and military dogs, but they can also be handy for dog owners looking to take their canine companion on a long hike or other excursions. Tactical harnesses are often designed with pouches to hold items, and some are even designed with gun holsters for military or police dogs.
Another benefit of a tactical dog vest over a traditional harness is its durability. Tactical dog vests are made using heavy-duty materials that last a long time and will help keep your dog from getting injured in the field. If you’re ready to choose the best tactical dog harness for your pup, you’ve come to the right place. Continue reading to discover our top picks!
Verified Review: Our Hands-On Experience
In preparation for writing this review, we purchased a lot of different tactical dog vests to experiment with. We chose different models with pouches, mole strips, and other design elements to see how they would function. We also tied out a combination of small vests and large vests so we could offer you a comprehensive review. The products highlighted below represent our top picks after the testing and experimentation process we went through. Here are a few additional observations we made for each vest:
- ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness: This was our favorite tactical harness. We liked how adjustable it is to provide a good fit for our dogs. We also like that the harness feels like a high-quality and durable product that will last for a long time. However, the vest may be a bit bulky for some dogs, especially smaller breeds.
- AIWAI Tactical Dog Harness with Pouches: We found this harness to be very durable. We also like that it comes with a few pouches. However, we found that the sizing ran a bit large based on the fit for some of our dogs.
- OneTigris Service Dog Tactical Harness: We like that this vest isn’t as bulky as other options and feel that it is a better option for service dogs for this reason. However, even though it isn’t as bulky as some other vests, it still feels like it could cause some dogs to overheat on a warm day.
The Top Picks for the Best Tactical Dog Vest: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Tactical Dog Vest:ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness
- [Size & Care instruction] 1:Please choose right size base on ICEFANG size chart , Small(Neck:14"-18" ; Chest:22"-27");Medium(Neck:16"-22" ; Chest:25"-31" );Large(Neck:18"-24" ; Chest:28"-35");X-Large(Neck:20"-28" ; Chest:32"-39"); 2:This Harness is not to be used with a tie out;3:Burn and solidified the end of strap if necessary ,Make Sure the end of strap is not fraying; 4: Washing: Hand-wash with detergent, rinse with clean water, allow to air dry.
- [2x METAL BUCKLE]: 2 x Metal Buckle (1000 lb Proof-Load Test ) on Dog Shoulder Position which the most Load Bearing Point When Dog Pulling, 2 x POM buckle (250 lb Proof-Load Test ) on belly Position;Sewing by Bartack and X in Box Pattern on Each Joint and Heavy load Point
- [NO PULL/SAFETY CONTROL]: Connect leash to No pull front clip,redirect the dog forward motion and make dog's leg off the ground ,Allow you to Control the puller with few effort and training your dog to walk beside you; Back Leash Clip for well-trained dog normal Walking;Durable Handle is Sewn Tough and Large Enough to Grab the Harness Quickly and Easily When Walking in Crowd ,Also Lift Your Dog When Getting in/out of the Car
- [HANDS FREE CARRYING ]:Two 1" Strips of Molle (Small: 3 x Hook & 2 x Loop ; Medium: 4 x Hook & 2 x Loop ;Large/X-Large:5 x Hook & 2 x Loop) Sewn Onto Both Side,Allow Your Dog to Carry Gear in Training / Daily Walking/Adventure Hiking, it Compatible with Molle /PALs Pouch,You Can Aslo Hook Dog Bowl,Water Bottle and Toy Through D shape Carabiner (No included)
- [DOG IDENTIFIED]:Three 1" Strips of Hook and Loop Panel Sewn onto Both in the Formation of MOLLE(size in Small :3"x4.5" ; Medium :3"x6" ;Large/X-large/XX-Large :3"x7.5" ); One Strip of loop panel Sewn Along the Back of harness with different wide in each size ( Small: 2" ; medium/Large:3" ;X-large/XXL:4");One Square Loop panel Sewn on The Front Chest (Size in small:2"x 2" ; Medium:2"x 3" "; Large/X-large:2"x 4" ; XX-Large:3"x4") ,You Can Attach Many Patch to Identify Your Dog
The ICEFANG is a popular and very highly rated tactical dog vest that is designed with lots of helpful features. The harness features a no-pull front clip and a standard back clip to allow the handler to ensure they always retain control of their dog when out. The buckles have been tested with a 1000-pound proof load test to ensure quality, durability, and safety. In addition to the two leash hooks, this harness also features a heavy-duty handle that owners can use to pick up their dog or pull him away from danger.
The ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness also includes Molle strips to enable owners to attach gear to their dog (the exact number varies based on the vest size).
This vest is available in four different sizes. The small vest should fit dogs with a neck girth between 14 and 18 inches and a chest girth between 22 and 27 inches and the extra-large vest should fit dogs with a neck girth between 20 and 28 inches and a chest girth between 32 and 39 inches. The other two vest sizes fall in between this range. Six color options are available: black, brown, gray, orange, ranger green, and red.
Click here to check out ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness on amazon.com.
Best with Pouches:AIWAI Tactical Dog Harness with Pouches
- [DURABLE & COMFORTABLE] 1000D Nylon Fabric and sturdy stitching, heavy duty, waterproof and comfortable material, dries fast. Protect your dog in comfort while hiking, canoeing, camping, and training.
- [ADJUSTABLE & WELL FIT] Each strap is adjustable. Please adjust every strap until it is comfortably fitted with your dog. Then it can hold up a whole day even when you having one all day's fun.
- [MOLLE SYSTEM & 3 DETACHABLE POUCHES] It comes with 3 detachable pouches (1 Molle Waist Bag, 1 Molle Utility Pouch, 1 Molle First Aid Bag). Both sides of the vest are molle-type designed, so you can move the pouches around to balance out the weight. And also can put water bottles and other dog tactical gears.
- [PERSONALIZED HOOK & LOOP PANEL] There are hook & loop panels on top of the vest, you can add some personalized badges.
- [SATISFACTION GUARANTEE] Your satisfaction is our priority. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or problems about our products. Our Customer Service Team will always be there for you.
If you’re looking for a harness that comes with pouches, consider the AIWAI Tactical Dog Harness. This model is made from a heavy-duty 1000D Nylon Fabric that is durable, waterproof, and long-lasting, making it ideal for all sorts of outdoor applications.
The harness features a Molle system and includes three pouches. The detachable pouches include a Molle utility pouch, a Molle waist bag, and a Molle first aid bag. You can customize the location of the pouches with the Molle strips on both sides of the vest. This vest also includes hook and loop panels along the top where you can attach badges and other personalized items.
The AIWAI Tactical Dog Harness comes is small, medium, large, and extra-large sizes. You can choose from khaki, army green, black, and camouflage color options.
Click here to check out AIWAI Tactical Dog Harness with Pouches on amazon.com.
Best for Service Dogs:OneTigris Service Dog Tactical Harness
- DAILY WALKING IS EASY: Essential 500D Nylon construction offering durability and excellent dirt/water/abrasion resistance; UTX snap-buttons to fix onto mobility assistance dog harnesses (neck strap needs to be removed for use)
- SIZE INFO: Suitable for medium dog like Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Germnan Shepherd, Husky, Bulldog and more. Dimensions: Neck Girth(16-30"), Chest Girth(17-38.5"), Back Length(9.5"); Always measure your dog before order! The distance between the front end of the harness to the chest strap is 7.5" (19cm)
- SECURE & COMFORTABLE FIT: Strength tested D-rings for handlers to attach their own grab handles to; Reinforced stitching on all stress points; Removable front neck strap with cotton padding to prevent chafing and discomfort
- FUNCTIONAL DOG HARNESS: UTX quick-release buckled belly strap with adjustable girth for different dogs; Hidden zippered EDC pocket on both sides with loop surfaced webbing for carrying MOLLE pouches and patches
- QUALITY AFTER-SALE GUARANTEE: OneTigris large tactical service dog harness have 1 year warranty. If you are not satisfied with dog vest harnesses, you can contact us in any time. We will reply you in 24 hours. So you can use it with confidence.
Tactical vests can be a good choice for a service dog. If you are looking for a vest for a service dog, we’d recommend the OneTigris Service Dog Tactical Harness. This model has a removable neck strap that allows the UTX-snap buttons to connect to a mobility assistance harness.
The OneTigris harness is constructed from a durable 500D nylon material that is designed to resist water, dirt, and damage. It offers a comfortable, yet secure, fit for dogs with D-rings where handles can connect a lead or a leash to. The vest also has Molle webbing and hidden EDC pockets with zippers on each side to allow your dog to carry essential supplies and materials.
This vest comes in black, brown, and red. Choose from either a size small for dogs with a neck girth between 16 and 30 inches, a chest girth between 17 and 38.5 inches, and a back length of 9.5 inches or a medium for dogs with a neck girth between 16 and 30 inches, a chest girth between 17 and 35 inches, and a back length around 13 inches. There are adjustable straps on the neck and chest to ensure a proper fit for each pup.
Click here to check out OneTigris Service Dog Tactical Harness on amazon.com.
How to Choose the Best Tactical Dog Harness
If you’re looking for the right tactical dog harness for your dog, use the features outlined below to help you choose the right product for your needs. Since there are a number of options on the market, it is important to know what you are looking for before you begin shopping.
When choosing a tactical dog vest, you want to find one that is made from high-quality materials. The vest should be sturdy, durable, and able to withstand pulling or chewing. Tactical dog vests should also be water-resistant and able to hold up to very hot or cold temperatures.
Comfort and Fit
A proper fit is essential when choosing a tactical harness for your dog. Always check with the manufacturer’s sizing guide and take measurements of your dog to determine whether a large vest or a small vest is right for them.
Don’t forget to also consider your dog’s comfort in the harness. Fit will play a role in how comfortable each harness will be, but the materials used to make the harness and the support it offers are also important to consider.
One of the benefits of tactical harnesses is that they allow dogs to help carry supplies and other materials. When shopping for a harness, consider the design of each model and whether it offers an adequate number of hooks and pouches to fulfill your needs. Many tactical harnesses feature Velcro strips that make them compatible with MOLLE gear to allow you to customize the design and carrying capabilities.
Handling and Control
Finally, you will want to choose a tactical harness that allows you to maintain good control over your dog. Look for harnesses that include handles to grab or pick up your dog, in addition to multiple spots to connect a leash. This will help ensure that you can retain control of your dog, even in more questionable situations.
Last update on 2021-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Tactical Dog Vests: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What dog harness does the military use?
Military dogs are used for various operations and need to be able to help carry supplies. Tactical dog vests include pouches and compartments that allow them to perform this job. A tactical dog vest is also made out of more durable materials than standard harnesses. These materials are less likely to get caught or tear on different terrain.
How do I clean a tactical dog vest?
Consult with the manufacturer’s care instructions before trying to clean the specific vest you have. Most tactical vests are made out of nylon, which can be easily wiped down. You may also be able to wash some tactical harnesses in the washing machine.
Do service dogs need a tactical vest?
While a tactical vest may not be required for a service dog, it may be helpful. The added compartments and pouches on a tactical vest can help a service dog hold essential items for his or her owner.
Do they make tactical dog vests with gun holsters?
You may be able to find some tactical dog vests with gun holsters, but many models do not include this feature. If you need your dog to hold your gun, some of the pouches on other tactical vests may do the job for you.