- They are one of the largest breeds of dogs in the world.
- Alabais are very rare in the United States but are more common in Central Asia.
- They are one of the oldest breeds in existence.
Welcome to the Alabai Quiz, where you can test your knowledge and learn more about one of the most misunderstood breeds of dogs! This dog, also known as the Central Asian Shepherd, was intended to be a guard dog and is known for its fearlessness towards predators.
Take the quiz to test your knowledge of Alabais if you believe you know everything there is to know about them or if you want to learn more about this large, rare breed of dog!
History of the Alabai (Central Asian Shepherd)
This breed is said to be one of the oldest in existence. It originates in the Central Asian region of Turkmenistan and the surrounding areas, and based on artifacts found in native lands dates back more than 5000 years. Unlike the majority of breeds that have been bred with the help of man, or have been man-made, this breed has had no interference with humans and has not been made by any one person or country. Rather, it is a breed that arose from natural selection, developing in response to the circumstances of their environment.
They have a similar genetic makeup to some of the other aboriginal breeds found in the same area, such as the Akbash and the Caucasian shepherd. Once human intervention came into play, the Alabai began to be crossbred to find the best characteristics for guarding. There are now considered different breed types: purebreds, or guardians that remained with farmers and herders, and guard dogs that are used by military in the area.
Interesting Alabai (Central Asian Shepherd) Facts
Although this breed developed naturally when they were discovered, with the assistance of man, there was some breed interference and today there are three distinct breed lines that are all used for a specific reason. The Ancient Line is the traditional guardian dog that has been used for years to protect families and possessions but is safe around children. The Fighting Line has been tested through fighting to create a more aggressive line and finally, the Guard Line which was used by the Russian military. Here are a few more interesting facts.
- Even today, nomadic people use this pedigree group of dogs to guard their families and their camels or horses.
- They are improperly classified as traditional livestock guardian dogs and are rather territorial guardians bred to guard people and their possessions.
- This is a very territorial breed and they will guard whatever they deem their territory.
- The Alabai is a symbol of national pride in Turkmenistan.
- There is a golden statue of the dog that stands an incredible 19 feet tall found in Turkmenistan.