Picking a name for your newest furry companion doesn’t have to be difficult. The name chosen for your dog should represent who you are. Bringing a dog into your home means you plan to share part of your life with a four-legged friend. You can incorporate your interests, hobbies, and passions into a pet’s name. If you’re a reader, step into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to choose a creative name for your pet. To make it easy for you, we compiled a list of the best Harry Potter dog names for your pup. Read on to get inspired!
Male Harry Potter Dog Names
Did you recently bring home a male pup for you and your family? Below is a list of the best male Harry Potter dog names.
- Harry: What is a better name for your pup than the lead character in the series? You could also name him Harry Pawter for an adorable pun.
- Ron: Name your dog after Harry Potter’s red-headed best friend, Ronald Weasley.
- Neville: A fellow Gryffindor, Neville Longbottom might be the perfect name for your male dog.
- Dudley: Harry Potter’s cousin, Dudley Dursley.
- Fred and George: Name your two dogs after the Weasley twins, Fred and George.
- Draco: If you have a light-colored dog, consider naming him Draco Malfoy. Also, he embodies what it means to be a Slytherin.
- Severus: You will honor your dog by naming him after Professor Snape. Always.
- Sirius: Sirius Black, Harry’s Godfather, can actually turn himself into a dog.
- Albus: Name your dog with dignity after the great Albus Dumbledore.
- Remus: Your dog will defend you from the Dark Arts with a name like Remus Lupin.
- Percy: You can’t go wrong with another Weasley name.
- Cedric: Cedric Diggory was one of the four competitors chosen from the Goblet of Fire for the Triwizard Tournament.
Female Harry Potter Dog Names
If you’re considering a Harry Potter name for your female pup, explore the list below for inspiration. There are plenty of creative names to incorporate your passion for the series into your pet’s name.
- Hermione: The female protagonist in the series, Hermione Granger is an admirable name for your dog.
- Luna: Luna Lovegood is a Ravenclaw student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Ginny: Ginny Weasley is the only female Weasley sibling and is also Harry’s love interest.
- Tonks: Nymphadora Tonks is in the Order of the Phoenix and can shapeshift.
- Bellatrix (Bella or Trixie): Bellatrix Lestrange is a major antagonist in the series, but a favorite character for many fans.
- Minerva (Minnie): You will do your dog a favor if you name her after Professor McGonagall.
Harry Potter Dog Names: Magic and Mythical Creatures
While the male and female names are great Harry Potter dog names, the magic is in the creativity. Explore the list below and consider magic and creatures as your choice!
- Dobby: If your dog has large, floppy ears, name him after Dobby the House Elf.
- Hagrid: The loveable half-giant who lives and works at Hogwarts.
- Norbert: Hagrid’s dragon who hatches inside his hut at Hogwarts.
- Fluffy: Hagrid’s three-headed dog is introduced in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- Nimbus: Harry’s first broomstick is the Nimbus 2000. Nimbus is a great name for a border collie!
- Fawkes: Dumbledore’s pet phoenix is named Fawkes.
- Moony: Remus Lupin’s nickname when he becomes a werewolf.
- Wormtail: Peter Pettigrew’s nickname when he becomes a rat.
- Padfoot: Sirius Black’s nickname when he becomes a black dog.
- Prongs: James Potter’s (Harry’s dad) nickname when he becomes a stag.
- Fang: The name of Hagrid’s dog is Fang.
- Crookshanks: Technically Crookshanks is for a cat, but it could work for a dog too!
- Hedwig: Harry named his beautiful, white snowy owl Hedwig.
- Buckbeak: Buckbeak is a Hippogriff, a mythical creature that is half of a horse and half of an eagle.
- Patronus (Patty): A Patronus is a positive force from a wand used to fend off Dementors.
- Muggle: A person with non-magical powers.
- Snitch: The Seeker must catch the Golden Snitch to end a game of Quidditch.
- Alohomora: A spell used to unlock doors.
Also, consider creative puns to associate with your Harry Potter dog name. Perhaps, you sent your pup to Dogwarts where he was sorted into the House of Ravenpaw? Don’t be afraid to get creative!
- 86 Exciting Spanish Dog Names And Their Meanings
- The 80 Best Country Dog Names
- 72 Perfect German Dog Names and Their Meanings
The photo featured at the top of this post is © Taylor Baker/iStock via Getty Images
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.