The animal group that the species belongs to
|Fresh, Brackish, Salt|
What kind of foods the animal eats
How long (L) or tall (H) the animal is
|2.5cm - 1m (0.9in - 3ft)|
|Optimum pH Level:|
The perfect acidity conditions for the animal
|5 - 9|
How long the animal lives for
|1 - 60 years|
The colour of the animal's coat or markings
|Black, White, Yellow, Orange, Silver, Blue, Green, Red|
The protective layer of the animal
The specific area where the animal lives
|All freshwater and saltwater habitats|
Fish are found in every ocean, lake, river and stream in all corners of the globe, in many sizes, colours and species. Most fish (depending on size) tend to eat plankton in the water, insects and smaller fish.
Fish respire through gills in the sides of their heads, allowing the fish to breath underwater. Fish return to the water surface for air at varying intervals. The electric eel fish can go for up to 10 minutes without resurfacing for air.
Are you Safe?
Are you Safe? is an online safety campaign by A-Z-Animals.com. If something has upset you, the Are you Safe? campaign can help you to speak to someone who can help you.Are you Safe?
Update your Fish phobia filter.
View printer friendly version of Fish article.
Learn how you can use or cite the Fish article in your website content, school work and other projects.
First Published: 10th November 2008, Last Updated: 7th November 2019
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 10 Nov 2008]
2. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2011]
3. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 10 Nov 2008]
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2009]
5. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 10 Nov 2008]