September 22, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
Border Collie Facts:
Training: Should be trained from an early age in obedience
Average Litter Size: 6
Slogan: Highly intelligent and alert breed!
Border Collie Physical Characteristics:Colour: Black, White, Brown, Red
Border Collies are an intelligent, biddable breed with an instinctive desire to work closely and intensely with a human handler. They are very well behaved and can be very excitable dogs.
Although the primary role of the Border Collie is that of the working stock dog, dogs of this breed are becoming increasingly popular as pets. True to their working heritage, Border Collies make very demanding, energetic pets that are better off in households that can provide them with plenty of exercise and a job to do.
Border Collies are now also being used in showing, especially agility, where their speed and agility comes to good use. However, in an appropriate home, with a dedicated, active owner, a Border Collie can be an excellent companion. Participating in dog sports is popular with Border Collie owners.
The Border Collies range of skills and high intelligence also make it an excellent detection dog which is commonly used by police, customs and other government agencies.
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals