|#1 Overall Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food: TruDog: Feed Me: Freeze Dried Raw Superfood||TruDog: Feed Me: Freeze Dried Raw Superfood|
|Best for Puppies: Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Puppy Raw Dinner Patties||Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Puppy Raw Dinner Patties|
|Best for Seniors: SOJOS Complete Turkey & Salmon Recipe Senior Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food||SOJOS Complete Turkey & Salmon Recipe Senior Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food|
|Best Add In: Instict Raw Boost Mixers||Instict Raw Boost Mixers|
Freeze-dried dog food is prepared in the same manner used to make astronaut ice cream. Frozen raw meats and other foods are put into a special machine that sublimates the water (turning ice to gas and removing it from the food). Compared to other dog food choices, when you look at freeze-dried dog parts you can more clearly see each individual ingredient since they only look smaller than they did before the freeze-drying process.
If you’re looking for the cheapest dog food, freeze-dried dog food probably isn’t the best choice for you. However, if you’re looking for food that will nourish your dog with high-quality ingredients and offer a taste they’re sure to love, freeze-dried dog food may be the best choice for your pup. Freeze-dried dog foods also have a very long shelf life and can be kept as a backup in the event of an emergency.
Today, we’re going to look at some of the top freeze-dried dog foods on the market to help you select the best food for your dog. Whether you’re looking for options for puppies, adults, or seniors, we’ve got you covered! So, continue reading; we’re certain you’ll find one your dog will enjoy!
The Top Picks for the Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food: TruDog: Feed Me: Freeze Dried Raw Superfood
- Raw dog food made from 100% turkey. No grains, fillers, preservatives, or coloring used in any of our products.
- Easy to digest, all-natural, hypoallergenic with no fear of food contamination or harmful effects of filler-laden kibble for happy and healthy pets.
- Appropriate for dogs of all ages and breeds, dog approved and dog preferred taste
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Try any of our products and if you don't like it, simply let us know within 60 days of buying and we'll refund your purchase price. It's that easy!
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
Your dog is sure to enjoy the taste of this all-meat raw food from TruDog. There are four different flavor options (beef, turkey, turducken, and whitefish), and each flavor is made using 100% meat and does not include any fillers or preservatives.
The food is easy on a dog’s digestive system. As a filler-free food, it is also a good option if your dog is allergic to ingredients founds in many other foods. Dogs love the taste of this all-natural food, and you can feel confident knowing you’re feeding your dog beneficial ingredients that will help them stay healthy.
Click here to check out TruDog: Feed Me: Freeze Dried Raw Superfood on amazon.com.
Best for Puppies:Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Puppy Raw Dinner Patties
- Help your puppy reach its optimal growth potential with Stella and Chewy's Perfectly Puppy Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties dog food! Every small batch is proudly made with responsibly sourced ingredients in Stella and Chewy’s USA-based kitchen
- Each small batch is contains 95 percent meat, organ and bone and is formulated specifically for puppies with guaranteed DHA, L-Carnitine and Vitamin E. Perfectly Puppy Dinner Patties are a complete and balanced meal for puppies of all sizes
- All-natural and minimally processed puppy food. Perfectly Puppy Chicken and Salmon includes added taurine and has no added hormones, antibiotics, grain, gluten or fillers
- Includes nutrient-rich superfoods including chia seed for healthy skin and coat and overall outstanding nutrition. New Zealand green mussel is added for superior joint support
- Supports better health for your pet with improved appetite and digestion, relief from allergies, vibrant skin and coat, healthy teeth and gums, greater stamina and vitality and a healthy immune system
If you’re looking for the best freeze-dried food for puppies, we think you’ll like these freeze-dried patties from Stella & Chewy’s. This food is made in small batches to ensure high-quality and safe food for your dog. 95% of the ingredient list is made using organ and bone meat. Other key ingredients, chosen specifically for puppies include L-Carnitine, DHA, and vitamin E.
Superfoods, such as chia seeds, are also added to the formula to keep a puppy’s coat healthy. Additionally, to support a puppy’s joints, Stella & Chewy added New Zealand green mussel to this formula.
Click here to check out Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Puppy Raw Dinner Patties on amazon.com.
- Raw Dog Food For Seniors: Just add water, soak and serve; in minutes the shelf stable ingredients spring back to life with flavors and textures, featuring Glucosamine and Chondroitin, DHA/EPA, Omega Fatty Acids and more
- Natural and Raw: Our Complete recipes are made with no genetically engineered ingredients, soy, fillers, preservatives, or anything artificial; just a short, sweet list of nutritious ingredients
- Safe and Economical: Every pound of Sojos makes up to 5 pounds of fresh, raw food for a surprisingly budget friendly cost per serving; our gentle, proprietary freeze drying process makes raw meat safe without heat or chemicals
- Simple Preparation: Add water to Sojos and magic happens; in minutes the shelf stable ingredients spring back to life with the flavors, textures and abundant nutrition possible only with real, raw food
- Raw Made Easy: Our complete and balanced foods combine the easy prep and shelf stable convenience of kibble with the unsurpassed nutrition offered in real, raw food; the only thing missing is water
Formulated for seniors, this freeze-dried food from SOJOS is a good choice for your aging pup. The food is made without the use of any fillers, soy, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors, or genetically modified ingredients. Rather, this food includes beneficial nutrients for seniors, such as omega fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin, and EPA/DHA.
Your older dog is sure to enjoy the delicious turkey and salmon flavor. Simply add some water to rehydrate the food and mealtime is ready!
Click here to check out SOJOS Complete Turkey & Salmon Recipe Senior Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food on amazon.com.
Best Add In: Instict Raw Boost Mixers
- FREEZE DRIED RAW DRY DOG FOOD TOPPER FOR GUT HEALTH: Add raw to your dog bowl with Instinct Raw Boost Mixers Gut Health grain free dog food toppers. Responsibly sourced cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient plus all natural, functional ingredients.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD MIXER: Made with whole food ingredients for digestive health - cage free chicken, pumpkin, sweet potato, chicory root, apple cider vinegar & probiotics. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors or preservatives.
- DOG FOOD TOPPER OR DOG TREATS: Raw, whole food ingredients are freeze dried to gently remove moisture, locking in nutrients and intensifying flavor. Add variety and excitement to every meal with the perfect natural dog food topper for picky dogs & puppies.
- POWER OF RAW INGREDIENTS: Our dog food is made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
- NEVER COOKED: Raw foods are never cooked, preserving the integrity of the ingredients and their nutrients, for 100% complete & balanced meals.
This add-in mixer from Instinct might not be the cheapest option, but it is one of the best if you’re looking for a mix-in or topper to make your dog’s current food more enjoyable. This food is made using quality raw meat and other whole foods. The powerful nutrients from these foods are maintained during the freeze-drying process to ensure what you’re adding to your dog’s food is not only delicious but also very healthy.
Instinct offers five different formulations to address varying health concerns and priorities for your dog. These include gut health, skin & coat health, mobility support, and immune health.
Click here to check out Instict Raw Boost Mixers on amazon.com.
What are the Benefits of Feeding Your Dog Freeze-Dried Dog Food?
You’ll discover that there are many benefits associated with choosing freeze-dried dog food for your pup. These include:
- Enjoyable for dogs: Most dogs seem to really like freeze-dried dog foods and often prefer them over kibble. This is probably why there are many freeze-dried add-ins available to improve the taste of dry kibble.
- Made using quality ingredients: For the most part, when you buy freeze-dried food, you can feel confident that it was made using high-quality ingredients such as muscle meat, ground bones, and organs. Fruits and vegetables may also be included in some freeze-dried foods. The majority of freeze-dried dog foods also do not contain artificial preservatives or other additives.
- Good alternative for a raw diet: Since freeze-dried food is made using frozen raw food, a freeze-dried diet can still help dogs enjoy the benefits of eating raw foods while being easier to keep up with for owners.
- Shelf-stable: Freeze-dried foods are shelf-stable and will remain safe to use for many years.
How to Choose the Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food
As you shop for the best freeze-dried dog food for your pup, there are a few different things you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Look for foods made using high-quality meats that include healthy omega fatty acids (salmon, flaxseed, fish oils, vegetable fats, etc.)
- Consider choosing a food that is also formulated with fruits and vegetables to give your dogs a healthy dose of antioxidants and fiber.
- Don’t shop based on price alone: Choosing the cheapest option with freeze-dried dog food is not always the best idea. You want to make sure you’re choosing a quality product made with healthy foods for your pup. Additionally, cheaper products often have cheaper packaging, which could allow moisture to penetrate the package and let bacteria grow.
- Choose foods made in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or Western Europe: The regulations and standards in these countries are higher than those in other countries to help you feel confident that your dog’s food is safe for him to eat.
Last update on 2022-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Freeze-Dried Dog Foods: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is freeze-dried dog food?
Freeze-drying is a process that removes water from food by placing frozen raw meats and other items in a machine that brings the atmospheric pressure down. During this process, the ice turns straight into gas and is diffused from the food (a process known as sublimation).
Unlike dehydrated food, and most other dog food types, freeze-dried food isn’t cooked, since there is no heat involved in the freeze-drying process. This also makes freeze-dried food a good option if you’d prefer to feed your dog a raw diet.
Is freeze-dried dog food healthy for dogs?
Overall, freeze-dried food can be a healthy option for your dog. Freeze-dried foods are made using high-quality ingredients and don’t include the additives you’ll find in many other dog foods. The freeze-drying process also extends the food’s shelf life, so you don’t need to worry about freeze-dried foods spoiling and going bad for a while.
Is freeze-dried dog food dangerous?
Since freeze-dried food is made using frozen raw meat, and the process does not involve any cooking of the meat, you do risk the risk of exposing your dog to contaminated raw meat. While you may have heard it is not a good idea for humans to eat raw meat, due to the risk of illness, it is not as likely for a dog to get sick from eating raw meat. However, it is still possible, so you may want to weigh the risks and benefits and speak with your veterinarian.
Is freeze-dried dog food healthier than kibble?
While freeze-dried dog food is not the cheapest option, especially when compared with kibble, one of the reasons so many dog owners prefer it is because they feel they are feeding their dog a healthier meal. Freeze-dried foods are commonly made using higher quality meats and other ingredients than some dry kibbles. Freeze-dried foods also are often made without artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives that may be found in more dry foods.
Do you have to add water to freeze-dried dog food?
Yes, you can add water to freeze-dried dog food to rehydrate it and return it closes to its original form. However, many freeze-dried foods can also be served as is. Adding water is a good option especially if your dog doesn’t seem to drink enough water.
How long do freeze-dried foods last?
Freeze-dried foods have a longer shelf life than many other dog foods you may purchase. However, the exact amount of time a freeze-dried food will remain safe to use will vary from one food to the next, so you should check with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Is freeze-dried food the same as dehydrated food?
No, the freeze-drying process and dehydration process is different. Both remove the water from food, but freeze-drying does not use any heat or cook the food, while dehydration does.