|Best Overall||Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food|
|Best for Puppies||Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Chicken Meal|
|Best for Senior Dogs||Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Small Bites Chicken Meal, Barley & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food|
|Best Dry Dog Food||Iams Adult Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food|
|Best Canned Dog Food||Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Loaf|
- The #1 Best Overall dog food for shih tzus is the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food.
- Find the best dog food for your adorable, little shih tzu based on its age (puppy, adult, or senior).
- Cheap dog food contains poultry by-products and other questionable ingredients. Most likely, you will need to pay more for better quality.
- High quality food for shih tzus contains vitamins, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, high levels of protein, and antioxidants. These nutrients will make your pup healthy on the inside with a thick, shiny coat on the outside.
- Our selections for the best food for shih tzus include dry and wet food.
Shih tzus are charming toy dogs with long, luxurious, non-shedding hair. These little lap dogs are also surprisingly athletic. They have muscular little bodies and many have won agility competitions! When you’re selecting the best dog food, it’s important that you choose the best one available for this breed. It should nourish their dazzling good looks and their athletic bodies while maintaining a healthy weight.
The right food for other toy dogs may not be right for shih tzus. This breed, which the Tibetans called little lion dogs, has specific needs and potential health conditions that we’ll address below. It’s important to purchase the best food based on their current stage of life because puppies, adults, and seniors have different caloric and nutritional needs. And don’t forget to reevaluate your shih tzus’ food as they grow.
We’ve compiled a list of the best overall options for shih tzus based on their stage of life and whether they prefer wet or dry foods so you can select the best food for your furry friend.
A-Z-Animals Top Picks for Food for Shih Tzus
#1 Best Overall: Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food
Our choice for the best overall dog food for adult shih tzus is the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food.
This dry dog food is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of purebred shih tzus aged 10 months and older. This recipe features an exclusive kibble shape designed specifically for a shih tzu’s short muzzle and adorable underbite. It will support your pup’s skin health with an exclusive complex of nutrients including EPA, DHA, and vitamin A and maintain your shih tzu’s soft, long coat with a combination of omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin. It will even reduce the number of stools and stool odor with highly digestible proteins, precise fiber content, and high-quality carbohydrate sources.
Royal Canin partners with pet experts to develop formulas perfect for each particular breed. They study each breed’s lifestyle, life stage needs, and their tendency for health issues. From facial and jaw structure to skin and coat type, they consider every detail so your dog can be his best.
Although this food has a lot going for it, some customers have reported that their pets do not like it. Also, as this food is breed-specific it is more expensive than other types.
Pros and Cons of the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food
|This food is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of purebred shih tzus aged 10 months and older.||This food is an expensive option.|
|It features an exclusive kibble shape which is specifically designed to meet the shape of a shih tzu’s mouth.||Not all dogs like this food.|
|It contains a range of nutrients including EPA, DHA, vitamin A, omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin.|
|It contains highly digestible proteins, precise fiber content, and high-quality carbohydrate sources which help to reduce stool odor.|
- Formulated to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Shih Tzus
- Kibble shape designed specifically for a Shih Tzu’s short muzzle and underbite
- Maintain your Shih Tzu’s long coat with omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin
- Contains highly digestible proteins
2. Best for Puppies: Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Chicken Meal
Our selection as the best food for shih tzu puppies is Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Chicken Meal.
This food is made with natural ingredients is formulated to meet the developmental needs of small breed puppies aged one-year-old and under. It features a small kibble size that’s specially designed for little mouths. DHA from fish oil will support your puppy’s brain and eye development. Also, high-quality protein will help your shih tzu pup build lean muscles.
This puppy food includes a balance of minerals to build strong teeth and healthy bones. Finally, this food contains a proprietary antioxidant blend to support your puppy’s immune system.
Hill’s pet foods are developed by a team of veterinarians, food scientists, and Ph.D. nutritionists, to ensure that they include the essential nutrients that your pet needs. Also, it never contains any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Unfortunately, a small number of customers reported that it caused their dogs to have loose stools.
Pros and Cons of Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Chicken Meal
|This food is made with natural ingredients to suit the needs of needs of small breed puppies aged one-year-old and under.||Some customers reported that it caused their pets to have loose stools.|
|The small kibble size is specially designed for little mouths.|
|It contains DHA to promote brain and eye development.|
|The balanced minerals in this food promote strong teeth and bones.|
|This food is free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.|
|This food contains a proprietary antioxidant blend to support a healthy immune system.|
- Made with natural ingredients tailored to the developmental needs of small breed dog puppies
- Contains high-quality protein to help your toy pup build lean, strong muscles
- Balance of minerals promote strong teeth and healthy bones
- Contains a proprietary antioxidant blend
3. Best for Seniors: Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Small Bites Chicken Meal
As shih tzus and other toy breeds get older, their nutritional needs change. That’s why we’ve selected Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Small Bites Chicken Meal which is formulated for the specific needs of small dogs aged seven years old and older.
The delicious chicken flavor is packed into a tiny kibble for little dogs that prefer variety, and the easily digestible ingredients help support the energy levels of mature dogs.
This premium dog food formula contains balanced minerals for heart and kidney health and high-quality protein for lean muscle. It will maintain your dog’s healthy skin and shiny coat with omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E.
However, some pup parents reported that their dogs struggled with the kibble as it was a little too hard and crunchy. Also, some found that their pets gained weight. Although this can be a good thing if your older dog had been lacking in nourishment on their previous food, it’s important to ensure that they don’t become overweigh as excess weight can put additional stress on joints and bones.
Pros and Cons of Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Small Bites Chicken Meal
|This food is a delicious chicken flavor.||The kibble is too hard and crunchy for some dogs.|
|It features small-sized kibble that is specifically designed for small mouths.||Customers reported that some dogs gained weight when switched to this food.|
|It features highly digestible ingredients to support the energy levels of mature dogs.|
|The balanced minerals in this food promote a healthy heart and kidneys.|
|This food contains omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E to maintain coat and skin health.|
- Formulated for the specific aging needs of small dogs seven years old and older
- Delicious chicken flavor
- Easily digestible ingredients
- Contains balanced minerals for heart
4. Best Dry Dog Food: IAMS Adult Small and Toy Breed Dry Dog Food
As the best dry food we have selected IAMS Adult Small and Toy Breed Dry Dog Food.
This food was created to meet the specific wellness and nutritional needs of your lovable small dog. With real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient, this adult dog food is packed full of protein. The addition off omega-6 fatty acids will also maintain your shih tzu’s skin and coat health. Plus, the lean protein helps build strong muscles, and antioxidants support their tiny immune systems. It’s a big bowl of healthy benefits for your teeny pal!
IAMS high-quality, premium recipes are made in the U.S.A. with the world’s finest ingredients to give dogs the nutrition they need. They’re made with no artificial preservatives, flavors, or fillers for complete and balanced nutrition.
The only drawback to this product that we could find is that some customers reported that the kibble was too large for their dogs to eat easily.
Pros and Cons of IAMS Adult Small and Toy Breed Dry Dog Food
|This food contains farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient.||The kibble may be too large for some dogs.|
|It features omega-6 fatty acids to promote a healthy skin and coat.|
|It contains antioxidants to support the immune system.|
|It is free from artificial flavors, fillers, and preservatives.|
5. Best Canned Dog Food: Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Loaf Dog Food
Most dogs enjoy wet dog food, so we’ve included the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Loaf Dog Food as the best canned option.
This food is tailor-made exclusively for your shih tzu pure breed. This complete and balanced soft dog food features a smooth pâté texture that’s easy for toy breeds to eat. You can also combine this canned food with Royal Canin Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food for a tasty meal that’s sure to please picky eaters.
This food contains EPA and DHA from fish oil to promote a healthy skin and coat. Also, this shih tzu dog food contains nutrients like taurine and L-carnitine to help keep your dog’s heart healthy and strong.
Royal Canin partners with veterinarians, breeders, and other pet experts to recognize the effect of each nutrient as they develop formulas for a particular breed. The breed’s lifestyle, life stage needs, and the tendency to develop certain health issues are all studied, taking every detail into consideration so your dog can be his most magnificent self.
Unfortunately, some pup parents have reported that the texture of this food is not always consistent, with some cans being softer than others.
Pros and Cons of the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Loaf Dog Food
|This food is tailor-made for shih tzus.||The texture of this food is not always consistent, with some cans being softer than others.|
|It comes in a soft pâté form that’s highly palatable.|
|This food contains EPA and DHA from fish oil to promote a healthy skin and coat.|
|It contains taurine and L-carnitine to promote a healthy heart.|
- Tailor-made nutrition created just for your Shih Tzu pure breed
- Smooth pâté texture
- EPA and DHA from fish oil promote healthy skin and coat
- Contains sodium, taurine, and L-carnitine to help keep your dog’s heart healthy and strong
Special Food Considerations for Shih Tzus
Most shih tzus are healthy, but the breed is prone to the following health conditions: hip dysplasia, patellar luxation (a slipped kneecap), eye anomalies including cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy, retinal detachment, other eye issues.
Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the risk of hip and knee problems. Studies indicate that vitamins A, C, and D can keep a dog’s eyes healthy, so your pet’s food should include these nutrients. Finally, omega-6 fatty acids can keep your Shih Tzu’s skin and hair healthy.
Choosing the Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus: What to Look For
There are three factors you need to consider when choosing the best dog food for your shih tzus: price, quality, and type (dry or wet). Here is how to consider the best dog food across each of these factors:
Inexpensive dog food generally includes ingredients that you don’t want to feed to your shih tzu such as poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, and preservatives. These ingredients have negligible nutritional value and may even be detrimental to your dog’s health.
High-quality dog foods include meat as their first ingredient. They also list vegetables, fruits, vitamins, and minerals that will enhance your pet’s health. It should also includ include omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin to encourage the growth of your shih tzu’s long, silky, hair.
The dog food discussed in this review is available in dry (kibble) and wet (canned) recipes.
In order to select the best type of dog food for your shih tzus, you needt to understand the different types that are available. In this review, we discuss dry dog food (kibble) and wet (or canned) dog food. Here are the pros and cons of each type:
- Dry dog food comes in bags. It can be stored for long periods in sealed containers. Dry dog food will spoil if it comes in contact with moisture. It provides a concentration of nutrients. Also, dry food’s texture will help to remove tartar from your pup’s teeth.
- Wet (canned) dog food must be refrigerated after opening. Dogs with dental problems and those with finicky appetites often benefit from canned food.
Our Criteria: How We Chose the Best
- When assessing our overall best choice Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Adult Dry Dog Food, we couldn’t help but notice the health benefits and dog preference. This food contains specific nutritional needs of this breed, such as vitamin A, EPA, DHA, biotin, and omega-3 fatty acids. The high fiber content keeps things moving in your pup’s stomach. On top of that, shih tzu’s love the flavor and size; the kibble shape is easy to eat for their short muzzle and underbite.
- Our #2 choice by Hill’s Science Diet has everything your puppy needs to grow big, strong, smart, and healthy. Your shih tzu puppy will consume lots of protein to build muscle and antioxidants for immune support. Plus, their brains and eyes will develop thanks to the DHA contained in every bite. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it claims it is the #1 U.S. veterinarian’s recommendation.
- Consider #3 on our list if you have a senior dog needing nutrition. We love that this Hill’s Science Diet pick is formulated with an aged dog’s needs in mind. It promotes kidney and heart health, energy support, and immunity. Plus, the small kibble will be easy for your dog to eat.
- IAM’s Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is #4 on our list! We love that the first ingredient listed is farm-raised chicken, which provides ample protein. Like the brands listed above, it supports immunity with antioxidants and is specially formulated for adult small breeds. It contains omega-6 fatty acids to help your dog’s coat be thick and shiny.
- We included our #5 choice in case your pup prefers wet food. This food is packed full of complex nutrients and promotes heart health and overall cardiac function. We love that this food can be enough for your dog by itself, or it can be used to supplement dry food.
- Choosing the Best Dog Food: Everything You Need to Know — Check out our complete guide to dog food here!
- The Best Dog Food for Small Dogs — Find our top-rated suggestions for food for small dogs here.
- Best Dog Food Brands — Discover the best-rated dog food brands.
The Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus: Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What amount of dry dog food should I feed my canine?
Most dog food companies include a chart on each bag of dry dog food. Oftentimes, the weight of a dog is what dictates how much dry food it needs. So, it’s best to go by the weight chart on the back of a dry dog food bag to ensure you’re giving your dog the proper amount of nourishment.
Can I mix a combination of dry and wet dog food together?
Yes, wet and dry dog food can be mixed together. Many owners mix a little wet food in with dry food to make the food more appealing and tastier for their dogs. However, keep in mind that when mixing foods, it is important to make sure both the wet and dry foods are designed to match the dietary needs of your dog. For example, this means that you should avoid mixing dry puppy food with wet adult food.
Does dry food contain more protein than wet food?
No, most dry foods have a lower protein content than wet foods. Wet foods are often formulated with premium meat, poultry, or fish ingredients as the first ingredient.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.