Pet wipes are an easy way to help keep your pet clean between baths. Whether your pet needs spot cleaning or an overall freshening, the right pet wipes can help. Every smart pet owner should keep a stash of pet wipes on hand to keep their furred friends looking and smelling their best.
Our Hands-On Experience
Pet wipes can help you take care of your best furry friends, but it’s important to use the right ones. Many of us are aware of ingredients that can damage our own skin, and your pet’s skin is just as delicate. Cats and dogs are extremely sensitive to perfumes and irritating ingredients. We often use these wipes on delicate areas like their ears, nose, and butt, and gentleness is key.
In our review, we tested products that contain only natural, soothing ingredients that would treat your pets with the tenderness they deserve. We tested these with our own cat and dog volunteers to make sure the wipes were easy to use, reasonably durable, and tolerable to our animals.
Overall, it was a tough choice between Petkin and Earth Rated. Both are excellent, and Earth Rated wipes are also compostable, which makes them a green solution. However, their scented version can be irritating, and our tester pets hated the smell. The unscented version was excellent, however.
Petkin’s wipes made it to the top spot because they are mild, have a safe scent, and are usable for both cats and dogs. Pogi’s were an excellent choice for people who want an eco-friendly pet wipe with a mild formula. We liked PrimePets because they are gentle and affordably priced. Our testers also gave high marks to Nature’s Miracle for removing tough odors. Here are our picks.
The Top Picks for the Best Pet Wipes: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Pet Wipes:Petkin Petwipes for Dogs and Cats
- PETKINS PET WIPES FOR DOGS AND CATS – These extra large wipes for pets are heavy duty and remove daily dirt and odor. The fast and convenient way to keep your pet clean every day. Includes 200 wipes
- GENTLE FOR YOUR FURRY FRIEND – These refreshing dog wipes are gentle enough to use every day around your pet's eyes, ears, face and body and won't remove spot flea treatments. Perfect puppy wipes, kitten/cat wipes, and pig wipes
- VETERINARIAN APPROVED – The 7 x 11 inch Petkin wipes are moistened with a gentle formula that enriches with a soothing organic oat extract, vitamin E and aloe. These ingredients help to soothe dry, itchy skin. Lightly scented, vanilla and coconut
- SUPER CONVENIENT, GOODBYE SHAMPOO – Perfect for at home and travel. Use as a quick touch up, as dog paw wipes after a muddy walk, or when it's too cold for a bath outside. Ideal for older pets that are difficult to bathe. Reduce dander that can cause discomfort and keep your pet's coat soft and shiny
- EASY TO USE – Open the lid and remove seal. Pull a wipe out. Close lid tightly. Gently wipe entire pet until clean. No water or rinsing is required. These dog wipes are safe for daily use
These wipes are excellent for dogs and cats. They come in a large size that makes them convenient and easy to use. They’re also nice and thick, so you can get a thorough cleaning of even the thickest fur.
These wipes are infused with organic extract of oats. Oatmeal is a proven treatment for skin irritation and rashes. These wipes will keep your pets clean and fresh smelling while soothing itchy, dry skin.
These wipes have a light, natural scent, but coconut and vanilla are mild extracts that won’t irritate your pet’s skin.
- Gentle enough to use around eyes, mouth and other sensitive areas.
- Won’t remove spot flea treatments.
- Light, natural scent of coconut and vanilla.
- Large and thick to use on pets of any size, even those with long fur.
- Contains organic oat extract and aloe vera.
Click here to check out Petkin Petwipes for Dogs and Cats on amazon.com.
#2 Best Organic:Earth Rated Dog Wipes
- ✅ 400 PLANT-BASED WIPES -- Save 16% with buying in bulk! Earth Rated lavender wipes measure 8x8, and are proudly USDA-Certified 99% biobased. Wash your dog's face, paw, foot, and tushie without leaving wet residue or funky smells. Compostable when finished to reduce the carbon pawprint!
- ✅ EVERYTHING you want in a dog wipe -- All natural shea butter, aloe, and chamomile keep fur soft and luxurious while smelling fresh. Fit for the most sensitive puppies. Free of sulfates, and alcohol so they're mild enough for daily use. 400ct is perfect if you have multiple pets and/or frequent the outdoors!
- ✅ GENTLE, YET DURABLE -- Not only are these wipes gentle and hypoallergenic...but ultra-durable, and able to stand up to sharp puppy nails. Daily use is most common, however, customers also love using our wipes for stressed out foster dogs, and post-surgery when regular baths are not an option.
- ✅ VERSATILE -- Love to take your furry friend on the go? Portable packaging allows for easy travel and keeps your wipes extra damp, even long after opening! The hard plastic snap closure makes it easy to pull out one wipe at a time, then sealed for maximum freshness.
- 💚 WHY EARTH RATED? We're a Canadian company with top-notch customer service, always ready to help! Plus all our products are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee! We work closely with animal shelters & rescues across North America donating as many bags as we can.
These organic, hypoallergenic pet wipes have no ingredients that can harm pets. They are compostable, which makes them an excellent, eco-friendly choice.
These wipes contain shea butter, aloe vera and chamomile extracts to soothe your pet’s skin and fur. These gentle wipes have no alcohol or sulfates. They come in a small, portable package that’s easy to take to the dog park, vet’s office or doggy day care.
Please note that it’s important to buy the unscented version of Earth Rated wipes. The scented version contains lavender extracts, which can be highly irritating to dog and cat skin.
- Compostable after use.
- Plant-based, hypoallergenic ingredients.
- Made with shea butter, aloe vera and chamomile.
- Mild enough to use on puppies.
- Available in regular or bulk sizes.
Click here to check out Earth Rated Dog Wipes on amazon.com.
#3 Best for Deodorizing:Nature's Miracle Deodorizing Pet Wipes
- Advanced deep-cleansing formula
- Mild enough for everyday use
- Moisturizing conditioners leave your pet's coat with a healthy shine
- Perfect for cleaning coats after walks, playtime or a day at the park
- Packagining may vary
Nature’s Miracle is a trusted pet brand known for its amazing, all-natural deodorizing sprays and cleaners. Now, the company is putting that knowledge to work in a wipe that’s designed for the smelliest pups.
Like the Nature’s Miracle cleaners, these wipes use a gentle cleansing formula to remove dirt, dander and the toughest smells. This is an organic formula that is tough on smells and gentle on your pets.
- Convenient pack of 100.
- Mild enough for regular use.
- Moisturizing ingredients to keep fur soft.
- Will remove the toughest odors.
- Made by a trusted brand.
Click here to check out Nature's Miracle Deodorizing Pet Wipes on amazon.com.
#4 Best for Grooming:Pogi's Grooming Wipes for Dogs and Cats
- Conditioning Ingredients - Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi help clean, freshen and condition while giving the coat a healthy shine. Perfect for wiping away dirt and odor from paws, bodies, and bums in between baths.
- Large Pet Wipes (8 x 9 inches) - Our quilted dog wipes are made big enough for even the largest dogs, and thick enough for the heaviest coats.
- Earth-Friendly - Made with 100% sustainably harvested bamboo fiber.
- Hypoallergenic - Completely free of parabens, alcohol, and harsh chemicals.
- Super Pack - 100 Unscented Fresh Wipes for Dogs - 1 Month Supply
These wipes are plant-based and earth-friendly. The wipes are made from 100% renewable bamboo fiber. They are biodegradable, which makes them a wonderful solution if you care about the planet as much as your pets.
Pogi’s grooming wipes are large, tough and thick. They can work on dirty dogs and cats of any size and with any length of fur.
These wipes contain aloe vera, which is an excellent natural skin soother. Although they are unscented, our testers found they left a pleasant natural scent on their pets. These wipes are mild enough to use on eyes, nose, ears and butt.
- Mild enough for daily use.
- Biodegradable and made from renewable bamboo.
- Hypoallergenic formula with aloe vera.
- Comes in a convenient pack of 100.
- Will remove tough odors.
Click here to check out Pogi's Grooming Wipes for Dogs and Cats on amazon.com.
#5 Best Alochol-Free: PrimePets Pet Grooming Wipes
- Premium Material: The dog face paw wipes contain 100 natural ingredients- aloe extra, vitamin E, and chamomile, our gentle cleansing wipes help keep fur soft while effectively removing dirt and debris, clean and moisture at the same time, use to freshen up muddy paws, bodies, bums, faces, eyes area
- Safe Pet Wipes: The pet wipes are both alcohol free and fragrance free, no harsh chemicals are used to ensure pets safety, gently clean and remove odors without leaving behind a strong perfume or chemical smell
- Safely and Effectively Remove Dirt and Odor: Our pet grooming wipes are free of parabens, sulphates, and alcohol so they're mild enough for daily use between bath after long walk and outdoor play time
- User Friendly: Our puppy wipes (6x8 inch) are large enough for you to easily hold and wipe your puppies dog face, bunts, paws, eyes, ears., The quilted material is thick and durable enough for heavy coat pets, but can also be used on cats and other fine-haired pets
- Valuable Package: There are 3 kinds of package to choose from, 100, 300, 600 count come in a convenient, re-sealable package, to keep dog grooming wipes moist and are easy to transport
These thick, soft wipes contain a gentle blend of aloe vera, vitamin E and chamomile. They have no alcohol, fragrance or other harsh chemicals. Their quilted texture grabs dirt and makes them excellent for especially dirty cats and dogs. At this price, you can buy them in bulk, which is convenient if you have many pets.
- Come in your choice of convenient bulk sizes.
- Mild formula has no fragrance or harsh ingredients.
- Suitable for cats and dogs.
- Safe for delicate areas.
- Affordably priced.
Click here to check out PrimePets Pet Grooming Wipes on amazon.com.
How To Use Pet Wipes
Does Your Pet Need Help Staying Clean?
Dogs enjoy rolling around in dirty, smelly things. That’s part of being a dog, but you don’t want that smelliness in your home. Pet wipes can keep your dog clean and get rid of those odors.
Pets who play outside in the snow may come back with dangerous chemicals from road salts on their paws. Use pet wipes to remove these toxins from your pup’s or kitty’s paws.
Is your pet old or incontinent? Maybe she’s had medical or dental treatments that make it hard to reach certain spots. There are many reasons your pet might need a hand staying clean. In those situations, pet wipes can save the day.
How To Use Pet Wipes
These wipes are easy to clean. They need no water or soap. Simply take a wipe out of the package, unfold it and wipe it gently on your pet.
Use the wipe from tip to tail to get fresh, overall clean. If your dog or cat has gunk in his eyes or ears, wrap the wipe around your finger to clean these areas gently. Use a separate wipe to clean around your pet’s butt, anal glands and other delicate areas.
The wipe will leave your pet’s fur damp. There is no need to wipe it off or rinse it. The product will dry naturally and leave your pet’s fur fresh and clean.
Can Pet Wipes Replace Bathing?
Full bathing is best for dogs, but bathing too often can dry out your pet’s skin and coat. If your dog has sensitive skin, a pet wipe is often a gentler alternative.
There are also times you can’t give your dog a full bath. If you can’t bathe your pet for any reason, a pet wipe is an excellent alternative. They are also a good choice for cats who are extra dirty or need help grooming themselves.
Do Pets Mind Using Pet Wipes?
Most dogs enjoy the experience. Our tester dogs all took to it readily. They only objected if the wipes had a bad or overpowering smell.
As you cat people know, most cats object to anything that’s not of their specific choosing. Most of them, however, appreciate your help getting the gunk out of their ears and eyes. Our tester cats tolerated all these wipes well. It’s certainly much easier to wipe most cats than to bathe them.
Some older dogs may be too physically or emotionally fragile to take regular baths. Older cats may also have physical or cognitive issues that prevent them from grooming themselves.
For these old, sick or fragile pets, pet wipes may be the only way they can stay clean. They will appreciate having fur free of dirt, dander and bad odors.
Pros and Cons of our Top 5 Products
Petkin Pet Wipes for Dogs and Cats
|Works for cats and dogs, so you only need one product.||Not designed for heavy dirt or strong odors.|
|Large size works for any size pet.||Not compostable.|
|Gentle, non-irritating natural ingredients.|
Earth Rated Pet Wipes
|Mild, hypoallergenic formula is suitable for daily use.||The scented version contains lavender, which can be highly irritating to a pet’s skin.|
|Compostable after use.|
|Contains aloe vera, chamomile, and shea butter.|
Nature’s Miracle Deodorizing Pet Wipes
|Large, durable cloths work on all dog breeds.||Has a scent that some dogs may find irritating.|
|Good for smelly messes like incontinence or after expression of anal glands.||Some of our reviewers found the wipes too dry.|
|Come in a convenient package of 100.|
Pogi’s Grooming Pet Wipes for Dogs and Cats
|Versatile wipes for both dogs and cats.||Reviewers said it was sometimes hard to pull wipes neatly from the package.|
|Leaves fur shiny.|
|The fragrance-free version has a pleasant, natural scent.|
|Biodegradable and made from renewable resources.|
PrimePets Pet Grooming Wipes
|Gentle enough for everyday use.||Not compostable or made from renewable resources.|
|No fragrance, alcohol, or harsh ingredients.||Some of our reviewers found them too small and too dry compared to other wipes.|
|A Textured, quilted surface provides deep cleaning.|
Wipe Away Dirt
Pet wipes are a handy tool for any pet owner. They take just minutes to use, and they leave your pets looking and smelling their best. The wipes on our list will make your pet’s fur feel soft and smell wonderful. Take care of your pets with gentle, natural wipes.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 5 Pet Wipes: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are pet wipes used for?
Pet wipes have many uses.
Between baths: While they can’t replace baths, they can keep your dog clean and fresh between baths. Use them to wipe off mud, clean ears, wipe noses and clean up drool. They also help cut down on the “doggy” smell that makes dogs less than lovable.
Older pets: Some older pets may be difficult to bathe. They may be afraid of water, or you don’t want to put them through the trauma of going to a groomer. Pet wipes allow you to clean up when they need help after eliminating or when they can’t clean themselves.
Puppies: Puppies get into everything, and they are known for making a mess everywhere they go. Use pet wipes to keep their paws and butt clean.
Cats: Use pet wipes to clean your cat’s eyes and ears, especially if you’re cleaning out mite debris or fungus. Cats rarely need bathing, but they can benefit from occasional “fur freshening.” These wipes help you remove dander, flea dirt and other unwanted elements from your cat’s fur.
Medical or dental treatments: Pet wipes are useful when you must clean up your dog after routine medical treatments. For instance, some dogs need to have their anal glands expressed regularly. This can create a mess for both of you. Pet wipes are an easy way to clean up after you’ve finished with their anal glands.
Pet dental treatments can make your dog or cat drool or have difficulty eating. When that creates a mess around their mouths, clean it up quickly and gently with a wipe.
Are pet wipes safe for dogs?
Overall, most pet wipes are safe for dogs. It’s important to read the ingredients and avoid products with alcohol or strong fragrances.
Can I use baby wipes to wipe my dog?
Some people use baby wipes for their pets, but it’s not necessarily a good idea. Although baby wipes are mild, they may contain fragrances or other ingredients that are not good for pets. If you can’t find pet wipes, use baby wipes that have no fragrances, alcohol, or synthetic additives. It’s always best to use products that have been evaluated to be safe on pets.
Which wipes are best for dogs?
The best wipes for dogs depend on what you are using them for. If you want regular, gentle cleaning, any unscented, natural formula is best. For dogs that are especially dirty or smelly, look for deodorizing wipes. Avoid wipes with alcohol, essential oils, or strong perfumes.
Which pet wipes are best for cats?
The best wipes for cats are hypoallergenic, unscented, and natural. They should not have any essential oils, which can be toxic to cats. Use wipes to clean a cat’s ears, nose or paws.
Most cats don’t need bathing unless they are old, sick, incontinent, or otherwise unable to keep themselves clean. Outdoor cats may need help removing dirt, road salt, and grime from their paws. Use wipes to keep your kitty’s eyes and ears clean.