|#1 Best Overall Corgi Dog Food: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed||Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed|
|Best Grain-Free Corgi Dog Food: Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food||Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food|
|Best Corgi Puppy Food: Canidae PURE Limited Ingredient Puppy||Canidae PURE Limited Ingredient Puppy|
|Best Natural Corgi Dog Food: KARMA Balanced Nutrition Dry Dog Food||KARMA Balanced Nutrition Dry Dog Food|
|Best Small Dog-Specific Corgi Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan Small Breed||Purina Pro Plan Small Breed|
The Corgi is a breed with special nutritional needs. When you’re looking for the best dog food for this breed, you’ll need something that helps keep this dog at a healthy weight and helps maintain its energy level.
Depending on whether you’re feeding puppies or adults, different calorie counts are required. A Pembroke Welsh Corgi is not a breed that you would feed the same way as a large or toy-sized dog. When dogs are senior age, they will eat differently from younger dogs. Your pet’s diet will change with age and other life changes. Although a feeding chart can be a helpful guide, you will also need to stay attuned to your dog’s needs as they change.
We’ve put together a list of the best overall options for these dogs. A few other things that we will address in this review include whether these dogs do better with wet or dry foods, what circumstances are best for grain-free or raw foods, and how to keep your dog from becoming overweight.
Verified Review: User Experience
We enjoyed having a broad range of foods to give Corgis. There were plenty of options available for dogs with sensitive stomachs and sensitive skin issues. Owners whose dogs have allergies will find some great choices among these selections.
A couple of reviewers encountered problems with food being out of date, but this could be an issue with the retailers and not the manufacturers themselves. Please check your labels before feeding to your Corgi! We don’t want your low rider getting sick. Also, older dogs are more likely to gain weight easily and the foods recommended here have much different serving sizes, from about one cup to approximately two depending on the brand. Pleases confirm how much of each food is appropriate for your dog based on age, activity, and weight. Despite these concerns, these are the best dog foods for Corgis today:
#1 Best Overall Corgi Dog Food:Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for small breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed dry dog food contains increased levels of protein and carbohydrates to meet the energy needs of smaller dogs with kibble size ideal for smaller jaws
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
One of the things that impressed us the most about Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed was the use of real meat or chicken as the first ingredient. The non-meat ingredients include whole grains, vegetables, and fruit.
This option is perfect for dogs the size of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi because of the smaller kibble. Increased carbohydrate and protein levels in vet-recommended amounts help meet this breed’s energy needs.
An antioxidant, vitamin, and mineral base similar to what is in many organic foods help boost your dog’s immune system. There are no preservatives, artificial flavors, or by-products. This kibble also contains no corn, soy, or wheat.
Some of our reviewers reported dogs having digestive upsets when eating this food and mild problems in dogs with sensitive skin. Aside from these incidents, most of the reviewers were pleased.
Click here to check out Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed on amazon.com.
Best Grain-Free Corgi Dog Food:Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOG'S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive and no fillers
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT with guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is the best grain-free option for this breed that provides balanced nutrition. Dogs with sensitivities often do very well with this variety.
The protein helps build healthy bone and muscle mass, while the omega fatty acids provide a healthy coat and skin. This USA-made product also contains glucosamine, taurine, and probiotics.
A few reviewers said that this meal option upset their dogs’ digestion, and there was an isolated complaint about mold in one bag. Another concern was that the feeding directions possibly call for giving dogs too much for their size.
Click here to check out Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food on amazon.com.
Best Corgi Puppy Food:Canidae PURE Limited Ingredient Puppy
- Contains 1- 24 Lb. Bag of Canidae PURE Chicken, Lentil and Whole Egg Recipe Dry Dog Food for Puppies
- Real food ingredients for the newest member of your family. Crafted with real chicken as the first ingredient, paired with whole ingredients like lentils, peas and dried whole egg
- Complete and balanced goodness for growing puppies. This recipe is made using 9 or fewer key ingredients that are easily recognizable, perfect for sensitive dogs
- Formulated with antioxidants and probiotics to support a healthy digestive and immune system, along with a nutritious blend of vitamins and minerals to support healthy joints, skin and coat
- Canidae is creating a world of goodness for pets and the planet. Premium proteins and regeneratively farmed ingredients nourish pets and planet in every bowl, setting a new standard for pet food. Everything we do results in a bowl full of goodness
PURE Limited Ingredient Puppy is one of the best dog food options for Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppies with real chicken, and other healthy ingredients like lentils, peas, and whole eggs. We were impressed with how the ingredients come from farms that use regenerative sourcing, while is always good for the planet.
The ingredients in this food have been chosen to address the needs of puppies with sensitive stomach and sensitive skin issues, as well as allergies. Probiotics and antioxidants help support puppies’ digestive and immune systems. The vitamins and minerals help keep your puppy’s coat beautiful and provide healthy joints.
One concern that a few of our reviewers raised was inconsistent food quality among different bags. There were also a couple of complaints about digestive upsets.
Click here to check out Canidae PURE Limited Ingredient Puppy on amazon.com.
Best Natural Corgi Dog Food:KARMA Balanced Nutrition Dry Dog Food
- Contains one (1) 24 lb. bag of KARMA Plant-First Recipe, Adult Natural Dry Dog Kibble Plus Vitamins, Minerals, & Other Nutrients with Chicken for any size dog
- Made with real chicken, this plant-first recipe is rich in protein from plant and animal sources
- Crafted with plant-based superfoods and 60+% plant ingredients
- Dog food made with non-GMO ingredients* (* Trace amounts may be present due to potential cross-contact during manufacturing)
- This product is manufactured in a site committed to zero waste to landfill
KARMA Balanced Nutrition Dry Dog Food is among one of the best dog food options for anyone seeking healthy options for their dogs.
The majority of the formula uses plant-based superfoods and real chicken. Ingredients are non-GMO, and the USA-based based manufacturer has a commitment to zero landfill waste. Natural fiber ingredients contribute to healthy digestion and omega acids contribute to healthy skin and coats.
A few of our reviewers cited concerns that meat was not the first ingredient. There were also a couple of incidents that involved the kibble triggering allergies because of its ingredients.
Click here to check out KARMA Balanced Nutrition Dry Dog Food on amazon.com.
Best Small Dog-Specific Corgi Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan Small Breed
Purina Pro Plan Small Breed has a formula that suits dogs from puppy to senior age, with either chicken or beef. The kibble is bite-sized, making it easier for small breeds to eat.
Real chicken provides a taste dogs love, coupled with high protein making it an excellent alternative to a raw formula. Live probiotics provide a boost to the immune and digestive systems that all dogs require.
A complaint that some reviewers reported was having more of the shredded chicken product in the bag than the kibble part. Another concern for some was that the food is high-calorie, which is not always good for dogs the size of most Corgis.
Click here to check out Purina Pro Plan Small Breed on petco.com
Last update on 2022-05-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The 5 Best Corgi Dog Foods: Reviewed for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best dog food for a Corgi?
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed is the best option because of its nutritional balance that suits Corgis’ unique needs.
How much food does a Corgi dog need?
Most adult Corgis require 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food daily, in two meals, although you should always consult your food’s feeding chart.
When do you switch a Corgi to senior dog food?
Your dog should start eating a senior diet at seven or eight years old.
How Do You Keep Corgis From Getting Overweight?
Corgis are somewhat more likely to become overweight because of their small size. Added fiber in the form of green beans and canned pumpkin may help your dog lose weight. A common vet-recommended tip is to give your dog green beans as a treat instead of bone treats.
Should Corgis Have Grain-Free or Raw Diets?
Grain-free or raw diets work well for Corgis’ nutritional needs. High-quality foods without grains contain enough nutrients to compensate. Balanced raw diets using quality organic ingredients are also helpful.
Do Corgis Do Better With Wet or Dry Food?
Most Corgis do best with a mixture of wet and dry foods. A diet that includes wet and dry food provides the benefits of increased DHA levels from the moist formula and the better dental health that comes with kibble. Getting your dog accustomed to both varieties helps prevent problems with finicky behavior.