Is your once playful pup showing more and more signs of aging? Just as humans have more trouble with mobility and getting up as we age, so do our canine companions. Many senior dogs suffer from arthritis or other joint problems that can cause them pain and discomfort. An orthopedic dog bed offers greater support than standard foam or polyester-filled dog beds. With an orthopedic dog bed, your dog will be able to sleep more comfortably and get out of bed with greater ease.
However, choosing which orthopedic dog bed to get for your dog is challenging. With the number of options on the market and deciding between flat beds, beds with bolsters, beds for crates, cooling beds, and waterproof beds, your head may be spinning trying to decide what to get. We’ve put this review together to help you narrow down your options by introducing you to some of the best orthopedic dog beds on the market, including our #1 overall top pick!
The Top Picks for the Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: Furhaven Orthopedic Memory Foam Pet Bed
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The bolstered L-shaped corner sofa design promotes ultimate comfort and security, providing high-loft orthopedic cushion support as well as a super cozy nestling and burrowing space for dogs and cats
- SLEEP SURFACE: The main sleep surface is lined with cuddly soft, plush faux fur, while the supportive bolsters are wrapped in easy-care suede; both materials are gentle on noses and paws for enhanced snuggling and burrowing comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam base helps cushion pressure points and improve air circulation, while the fluff-filled bolster railings support the neck, back, hips, and joints; both help to ease discomfort and encourage restful sleep
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Stone Gray; Medium, 30" x 20" x 6.25" (3" Foam; Sleep Surface: Approx. 26" x 15.75")
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Espresso, Dark Sage, Stone Gray, and Marine Blue; it's also available in Small, Medium, Large, Jumbo, and Jumbo Plus
The Furhaven Orthopedic Memory Foam Pet Bed is our overall top pick if you’re looking to splurge in the name of comfort for your pup. There is a lot to love about this bed, and it is certain to offer the support your dog needs to stay comfortable. The bed with an L-shaped bolster offers support for a dog’s head while also helping them feel safe and nestled into their bed.
The bed’s cushion is made from a gel-infused memory foam that offers a cooling effect by pulling heat away from a dog’s body. The memory foam material also offers ideal support for a dog’s joints to keep them comfortable. An extra soft faux fur material covers the base of the sleeping area and suede covers the bolsters. These materials were selected because of how the comfort they will provide for dogs.
Available in five different sizes (small, medium, large, jumbo, and jumbo plus), this bed can accommodate both small and large dogs. It also comes in 12 different color options to match a variety of decors. Choose from: two-tone stone gray, two-tone marine blue, two-tone espresso, two-tone dark sage, kilim desert brown, kilim boulder gray, kilim black medallion, faux fur & velvet sable brown, faux fur & velvet platinum gray, faux fur & velvet merlot red, and faux fur & velvet deep sapphire.
Click here to check out Furhaven Orthopedic Memory Foam Pet Bed
Best with Bolster: BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper
- Large Orthopedic Sleeper: 40” x 30” x 10" - Ideal for Medium to Large size dogs and also great for multiple smaller dogs. Can easily hold up to 100+ lbs and fitted for pets up to 36" in length.
- Inner Dimensions of Sleeping Space: 36" x 24" - Crafted with top-of-the-line workmanship and premium materials, it is built to both provide the ultimate sleep experience with superior overall comfort and to last. Perfect for dogs of any ages, especially older dogs with joint, bone or arthritic problems.
- Premium Materials include: (1) Ultra Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious quilted design, (2) 3.5" of Solid Orthopedic Foam base for the optimal balance of comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health & mobility. (3) Extra Comfy Cotton-Padded Rim cushion to instantly contour to your pet's neck and provide constant support and decompression for ailing necks and heads.
- Sleek and Luxurious quilted design to improve any family's home decor. Comes with a built-in nonslip rubber backing on the bottom side of the cover to prevent any sliding on wooden and tiled floors.
- Easy to clean & maintain: Removable and Machine-Washable cover. Simply put it on gentle / delicate cycle. Even easier to spot clean and remove hair.
If you’re looking for a bed with a bolster to support your dog’s head and allow them to sleep in their favorite position, we think you’ll love the BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper. This orthopedic dog bed features an orthopedic foam base to contour and conform to a dog’s body to reduce joint pain and improve mobility. The base is covered with cotton padding and a quilted and soft polyester cover. The padded bolster ensures a dog’s neck gets the support it needs to prevent pain and discomfort.
The base of this bed features non-slip rubber backing. This design feature means you can confidently use the bed on hardwood or tile floors without worry about it sliding around as your dog tries to get in or out of it. The cover can be removed for easy cleaning in the washing machine.
You can choose from three different sizes for large and small dogs. The small size is ideal for dogs weighing up to 35 pounds, and the large size can accommodate dogs weighing over 100 pounds.
Click here to check out BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper
Best for Crates: Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Orthopedic Comfort: Our orthopedic pet bed uses durable egg crate luxe foam for ultimate support and comfort.
- Luxury and Comfort: The thick pillowtop layer adds comfort for dogs young and old.
- Perfect Fit: This crate bed fits a standard 48" dog crate so you can easily add comfort to the crate; it can also be used by itself as a standalone bed.
- Easy Care: Just unzip the cover and throw in the washing machine for easy convenient cleaning.
- Milliard Guarantee: If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, neither are we. We’re so sure you’ll love this dog mattress, that we are willing to back it 100%.
This dog bed for crates from Milliard is a more budget-friendly pick. The flat orthopedic bed is designed from an egg-crate lux foam designed to provide support for ailing joints.
Despite the budget-friendly price, this bed still has a lot of luxurious features, such as the thick pillowtop layer to help dogs rest comfortably. When needed, you can remove the cover and wash it in the washing machine to maintain a clean sleep surface for your canine companion.
This dog bed comes in three different sizes for crates. The sizes are small (35 x 22 inches), large (42 x 72 inches), and extra-large (47 x 29 inches). You may find that your dog enjoys sleeping on this comfy bed outside of their crate as well.
Click here to check out Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed
Benefits of Orthopedic Dog Beds
Orthopedic dog beds offer many benefits to dogs, particularly older dogs or ones with joint issues. These benefits include:
- Relieving joint pain
- Preventing future joint issues
- Providing greater support and comfort for dogs
- Reducing pressure point
- Improving mobility
- Making it easier for a dog to get up
- Helping dogs sleep more comfortably and get more rest
What to Look for When Choosing an Orthopedic Dog Bed
As you’re shopping for an orthopedic dog bed, it is important to keep in mind that all beds are not the same. Some offer different features or different designs that may make them better suited for the specific needs of your pup. Use this buying guide to help you identify your priorities before shopping.
When choosing a bed for your dog, you want to choose one that is the right size. The best bed for large dogs will look different than the best bed for small dogs. Manufacturers should include both the dimensions of each bed, as well as a range of dog weights or sizes that should fit comfortably in it. Many beds come in multiple sizes to accommodate different dogs.
Style and Design
Style and design are some of the most important features when shopping for an orthopedic dog bed. Many beds are designed with bolsters, while others are flat. Taking note of how your dog prefers to sleep can help you choose the style that is best for them. Dogs that like to prop their head up on something may prefer a bed with bolsters, while dogs that like to spread out more may be more comfortable on a flat bed.
Some orthopedic beds also feature a cooling pad. This can help offer pain relief for dogs dealing with inflamed joints and may be a feature you want to look for.
Finally, consider the materials used to make each bed. Beds made with memory foam are often best for dogs with joint problems since memory foam is so supportive and offers greater stability to assist a dog with getting out of bed. You will also want to pay attention to the material covering the outside of the bed to ensure that it will feel soft and comfortable for your dog.
Choosing a bed with a non-slip backing to keep it from sliding around on the floor is also important. If the bed slides around, it can make it more challenging for a dog to get out of it. You may also want to choose a bed made with waterproof materials to allow for easier clean-ups if your pup has an accident.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are orthopedic dog beds worth it?
While an orthopedic dog bed may feel like a bit of a splurge compared to a more budget-friendly standard dog bed, if your dog is older or in pain, you’ll likely find that their comfort is worth the splurge. Orthopedic dogs beds can help keep your dog more comfortable and offer them greater support than they’ll receive from a standard dog bed. This can help provide relief from the pain they may be experiencing. And, while they are typically more expensive than a standard dog bed, there are still options to fit a variety of budgets.
Why are orthopedic dog beds good?
Orthopedic dog beds offer greater support for aging dogs or those experiencing pain and discomfort. They can make it easier for a dog to get up more easily and feel less pain when they sleep. Orthopedic dog beds come with many different design features to help ensure a dog’s comfort. These can include beds with bolsters around the sides to support a dog’s head and cooling capabilities to prevent a dog from overheating. Orthopedic dog beds may even be waterproof to allow for easier clean-up of accidents from an elderly pup.
What does orthopedic dog bed mean?
Orthopedic dog beds are specifically designed to offer more support for a dog. They’re designed to keep dogs with mobility issues, joint pain, arthritis, and other medical conditions more comfortable than they would be in a standard dog bed with foam padding or a polyester filling. Unlike these other bed types, orthopedic beds don’t let the dog sink down, which can help keep them more comfortable and supported as they rest or sleep.
Orthopedic beds are available in a range of sizes for small dogs and large dogs. They often come with bolsters to support a dog’s head and may include additional features such as cooling or waterproof materials.
Are Kuranda beds good for dogs with arthritis?
Yes, Kuranda beds can be a good choice for dogs suffering from arthritis. They offer greater support to keep a dog with arthritis more comfortable.
How do I know when my dog needs an orthopedic bed?
The best time to purchase an orthopedic bed can vary from one dog to the next. If your dog is suffering from any medical conditions, such as arthritis, joint issues, pressure sores, or just general mobility issues or trouble with standing up, getting an orthopedic bed is probably a good idea. You may also want to get an orthopedic dog bed as your dog starts to get older to help keep them more comfortable.