|#1 Overall Best: Rubie's Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume||Rubie's Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume|
|#2 Overall Best: Protect Me Alert Series Star Wars Chewbacca Dog Costume||Protect Me Alert Series Star Wars Chewbacca Dog Costume|
|#3 Best Chewbacca Harness: Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay No-Pull Harness||Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay No-Pull Harness|
Are you or someone else in the family dressing up as Han Solo this year? Do you want your dog to be his trusty partner, Chewbacca? Make your dog the perfect larger-than-life Wookie co-pilot on the Millennium Falcon in a realistic Chewbacca costume, and just see how your pooch will turn heads!
Chewbacca has a pretty amazing personality, and his cute growl, half-dog and half-lion, is beloved by fans worldwide. You may feel that his personality and appearance offer the perfect fit for your canine this Halloween. So, keep reading to choose the right Chewbacca dog costume for Trick-or-Treating, the next costume party, and any other Halloween fun coming your way!
How to Pick a Chewbacca Dog Costume
When you’re looking for the right Chewbacca dog costume for your pup, keep the features outlined below in mind. Using them to navigate your search can help you narrow down your choices and zero in on the best Chewbacca outfit available for your pup.
Adjustability and Fit
First, you’ll want to look for a costume that will fit your dog correctly. Look for outfits with features designed to make them adjustable to provide more of a customized fit for your dog. These may include adjustable Velcro straps or other similar features that will stop a costume from sliding around once you put it on your pup.
Additionally, look for the sizing information provided by the manufacturer to help you choose the right size. You should be able to locate a sizing table from each costume makes that includes a range of weights and back, neck, and chest lengths for each size. Keep in mind that not all breeds have the same features, so sizing your dog correctly can be a hit-or-miss task. Do research on other customer experience with their own dogs. You may find that you’ll need to size up 1-2 sizes, or even size down if your dog is thin and wiry. And you should consider ordering a dog costume way in advance of the planned event just in case there is a fit issue and you need to make an exchange.
Durability is another important feature to keep in mind. Dogs can be rough on things and their costume will be no different. Look for costumes made from heavy-duty materials that won’t easily tear. Though, keep in mind, you don’t want the costume to be too hot for your dog, especially if you live in a warm area. This could make the dog more likely to overheat.
Ease of Using with a Leash
Unless you’re only planning on having your dog wear the outfit indoors, you will also want to consider how easy it will be to use a leash and collar/harness with the costume. Can you put the costume on over their harness or collar and still be able to use a leash, or will the harness or collar need to go over the costume and block some of its design?
Some dogs enjoy wearing heavier and more elaborate costumes, while others may prefer something lightweight and less noticeable. Still, others don’t like wearing any type of clothing item. Knowing your dog’s preferences can help you select the best style costume for them.
If your dog is one who really does not like wearing any clothing items, but you still want to be able to dress them up as Chewbacca this year, consider a Chewbacca harness. Your pup will still be identifiable as Chewbacca from the series, but you won’t have to subject him or her to wearing something they’re not comfortable in or something that makes them anxious.
Our Criteria and Experience–How We Chose the Best
Quality, durability, fit, and likeness–we took all these factors into consideration when choosing which Chewbacca dog costume would transform your dog into the handsomest Wookie on the block! Below are some observations we made on the costumes to help you make the best choice for your pooch.
- We think our overall top pick is a great Chewbacca costume for your furry friend. It fits like a jacket, and the material feels very durable and seems like it should last for a long time. However, some customers find the sizing to be off on this item. It can run small, and in some cases, the leg holes were not suited to particular dogs, depending on their unique frames. The length was also a little short on some dogs.
- Our #2 Chewbacca costume is pretty warm, making it a good choice for taking dogs out in colder temperatures. The vest-like costume has sturdy velcro attachments around the chest and belly to secure it for long trick-or-treat outings. And the four fur cuffs on the feet are a great added touch that sets this costume apart. However, we didn’t like that the manufacturer didn’t include their sizing guide in the listing, which made it a little challenging to decide whether the small size would fit our pups properly.
- The plush faux fur in our #3 pick is soft and adds a nice touch to this no-pull design harness. It’s perfect for taking your dog trick-or-treating, and harness is made of sturdy yet breathable mesh fabric to keep your dog cool. Some customers had to size up on this product, and the harness is not as adjustable as the typical practical dog harness, so be careful when choosing the best size for your dog.
The Top Picks for the Best Chewbacca Dog Costumes: Ranked
#1 Overall Best: Rubie's Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume
- OFFICIALLY LICENSED Star Wars a trademark of Disney and Lucasfilm pet costume; look for trademark logo packaging and labels to help assure you’ve received an authentic safety-tested item
- Faux fur covered Chewbacca pet costume hoodie with attached bandolier with pouch accent
- IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ recent reviews and Q&A's before purchase to determine the best size for your pet; NOT ALL COSTUMES WILL FIT ALL PETS or breeds without adjustment
- READ THE RUBIE’S PET SIZE CHART in images and WATCH THE SIZING INSTRUCTION VIDEO, do not select size based on breed; consider costume style and animal shape before ordering
- Rubie’s offers costumes, accessories, and décor items from Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, The Clone War, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, Rogue One, and Solo
Rubie’s Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume is our top pick for the overall best Chewbacca Dog Costume. The hooded design of this Chewbacca costume will help a pooch look even more like the real Star Wars character. The officially licensed costume covers a dog’s entire body with faux-brown fur, just like Chewbacca has.
For added realism, Chewbacca’s bandolier wraps over his shoulder and around the back and chest. A small pouch is also attached to Chewbacca.
Small, medium, large, and extra-large sizes of this costume are available for purchase. The small size is designed to fit dogs with a chest circumference of about 14 inches, a neck circumference of about 12 inches, and a neck-to-tail length of about 11 inches. The extra-large should fit most dogs with a chest circumference of about 24 inches, a neck circumference of about 20 inches, and neck-to-tail lengths of about 28 inches. If your dog’s measurements are between these two sizes, use the sizing guide from Rubie’s Costumes to determine the best fit.
Click here to check out Rubie's Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume on amazon.com.
#2 Overall Best:Protect Me Alert Series Star Wars Chewbacca Dog Costume
- Hood and fur full body cover
- Hook and loop closure
- Features built-in bandoleer strap
- 4 Slip on-furry cuffs
- Composition: 100% Polyester
The Chewbacca dog costume from the Protect Me Alert Star Wars series is a great runner-up choice. The outfit is made from 100% polyester with a fuzzy exterior, like Chewbacca’s fur.
Chewbacca’s signature bandolier belt for keeping his bullets handy is running across the chest of the costume. This choice should be easy to put on dogs; it features Velcro straps to keep it secured around a dog’s neck and chest. Brown ‘fur’ puffs are also included to go around a dog’s feet/lower legs to make them look even more like Chewbacca.
Click here to check out Protect Me Alert Series Star Wars Chewbacca Dog Costume on amazon.com.
#3 Best Chewbacca Harness:Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay No-Pull Harness
- STAR WARS DOG HARNESS FOR ALL DOGS – May the force be with you and your dog. The Star Wars harness for dog is a great way for your dog to join in on your love for the Star Wars franchise by sporting their very own Star Wars merch
- COMFORTABLE NO PULL DOG HARNESS – Dogs love wearing this Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay dog harness for all dogs because it is comfortable and easy to wear
- DOUBLES AS A STAR WARS DOG COSTUME – Dress up your dog in this Star Wars dog harness for everyday wear or save it for a special occasion like Halloween for dogs
- STAR WARS THE REAL DEAL – This item of dog apparel and dog accessory is an officially licensed product of Star Wars, meaning it's the real deal. No need to worry about fakes or copycats. Only the highest quality for your dog
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR PRIORITY - If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know.
If your dog isn’t a huge fan of costumes, or you’re just looking for a more stylish way to take them for a walk, consider this no-pull Star Wars Chewbacca harness. You can keep your canine secure on their leash while also showing off your love of the Star Wars series and Chewbacca.
The harness features a furry-chest section with Chewbacca’s bandolier for instant recognition. It is designed to be comfortable for dogs to wear with a no-pull design to help you keep your dog from pulling on their leash.
There are three sizes (small, medium, and large) available to fit dogs with a chest girth between 15 and 24 inches. Each harness features adjustable straps to help you ensure a snug and secure fit for your dog.
Click here to check out Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay No-Pull Harness on amazon.com.
Summary of the Best Dog Chewbacca Costumes
|1||Overall||Rubie's Star Wars Chewbacca Hoodie Pet Costume|
|2||Runner-up||Protect Me Alert Series Star Wars Chewbacca Dog Costume|
|3||Harness||Star Wars Chewbacca Cosplay No-Pull Harness|
- Star Wars Costumes for Dogs – May the force be with you dog in one of these great costumes.
- Best Dog Halloween Costumes – We’ve chosen the best dog costumes to make your dog stand out when out trick-or-treating.
- Best Superhero Costumes for Dogs – Does your canine think he can save the world from evildoers? Let him prove it in one of these great superhero costumes.
- The Best Dog Beetlejuice Costumes: Reviewed for 2021 – If you and your dog are fans of the classic film “Beetlejuice,” then check out these great dog costumes for some Halloween fun.
Last update on 2022-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here’s the Best Chewbacca Dog Costumes: Updated for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Should I get a Chewbacca costume or harness for my dog?
To answer this question, there are a few things you should think about. First, consider whether your dog seems to enjoy wearing costumes, or whether they’d be happier and more comfortable simply wearing a harness.
Next, think about where and when you’ll want your dog to wear the costume or harness. If you’ll be going out trick-or-treating in a warm area, a harness may be a better option. A harness will ensure you’re able to connect your dog’s leash and will also keep them from getting too hot.
On the other hand, if your pup will only be dressing up as Chewbacca for a shorter period of time indoors or in a cooler climate, you may decide that a full costume is better.
How do you know if a dog likes wearing a costume?
Since canines can’t use words to tell us whether or not they like something, we need to rely on other cues that indicate how they are feeling. Your dog may show signs of fear or nervousness towards a costume if they don’t like it. For example, they may bark as you try to get them ready, run and hide from the costume, resist getting dressed, or try to shake off the costume once they’re wearing it. If this happens, you should respect your dog’s wishes and not cause them any further anxiety by trying to force them to wear a costume.
Dogs with an opposite reaction may enjoy wearing costumes. For example, if your dog comes running up to you when you pull out the outfit and seems to be acting normal when they are wearing it, it could indicate that they enjoy it, or at least aren’t bothered by it.
Where do you buy a Chewbacca costume?
There are not as many Chewbacca costumes as what you’ll find for other Star Wars characters. Finding a Chewbacca costume in a physical store, especially in the right size for your dog, may be challenging. You’ll likely have better luck looking online where there is a larger selection of sizes and styles available.
Do costumes irritate a dog’s skin?