Trying to walk two dogs at once can be a real challenge. One dog wants to go in one direction and the other dog wants to go in a different direction. Before you know it, your dogs’ leashes are all tangled up and you’re getting frustrated. So, is a double dog leash the best solution?
Using a double dog leash can help you keep your pups from getting so tangled and can make it much easier to control two dogs on a leash at the same time. A double dog leash can also help ensure you’re keeping both dogs on a leash when you’re out, which is the law in most areas.
We’ve put this article together to help you select the best double dog leash for your pups. These no tangle options can help you keep your dogs happy on a walk while also keeping yourself from getting frustrated with them pulling you in all different directions.
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
We purchased and tested multiple double dog leashes. We wanted to see for ourselves how these leashes would work with our dogs before making any recommendations to our readers. After this testing, we selected the double dog leashes below as our top picks. Before we get into the reviews, here are a few additional pros and cons we noted about each option:
- iYoShop Dual Dog Leash: We loved the no-tangle design of this leash made possible by the 360-degree swivel clasp. It made it much easier to walk our dogs together without worrying about their leashes getting tangled up. However, we think this leash is a bit too heavy if you have two smaller dogs.
- BWilkon Dual Dog Leash: We found that this double leash was excellent for helping us control two dogs at a time and limit the amount that they pulled. However, we could also see a potential problem with two larger dogs pulling hard together if provoked by another dog while on this double leash.
- DCBARK Adjustable Lead Double Dog Leash: One of our favorite things about this leash is that you can adjust the harness. This made it much more practical to use when walking one of our taller dogs with a shorter dog and kept each dog’s lead in the right spot. However, even with the adjustable length, when we tried walking a larger dog with a smaller dog, the larger pup seemed to drag the little one around a bit too much.
- WIGZI Two Dog Reflect Retractable Pet Leash: We like the retractable design of this double leash for dogs who are trained not to pull. We can see the long leads coming in especially handy for those rainy days when we want our dogs to do their business, but we don’t want to get ourselves all wet. However, a few times the buttons seemed to release and unlock themselves, which we didn’t love.
The Top Picks for the Best Double Dog Leash: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Double Dog Leash: ¡YoShop Dual Dog Leash
- The iYoShop Advantage: 35.5 inch rope leash + double bungee extension (20 inches - 35 inches)
- Heavy Duty Design: Climbing rope and tightly woven nylon bungee extension make the iYoShop dog leash more durable but lightweight, heavy duty and easy to clean
- No Tangle Design: 360° swivel clasp design allows for auto adjusting when dogs criss cross, no limitation for your dogs while moving from side to side without messing the leash
- Shock Absorbing Bungee Extension: Unique bungee design helps to absorb shock of quick movement when used with energetic and active dogs, reduce the feeling of being pulled. The length of the bungee can be extended from 20 to 35 inch with strong pulling force, which give your dogs enough room to run in front of you or beside you
- Comfort Padded Handles: Features soft padded handles for amazing comfortable shock grip, and protects your hand from rope burn
We found that there was a lot to love about the iYoShop Dual Dog Leash. This leash is available in two different sizes for small dogs (between 8 and 25 pounds) and medium/large dogs (between 25 and 150 pounds). The 360-degree swivel clasp works to prevent leashes from tangling up if your dogs cross sides as you walk.
The leash features a shock-absorbing bungee lead that works to reduce that feeling of being pulled when your dog becomes too excited on its leash. You can extend the bungee to provide your dogs with more freedom or keep them closer to you for greater control. It can adjust to between 20 and 35 inches.
The leash is made using a heavy-duty climbing rope that has reflective threads woven into it to increase nighttime visibility. A comfortable padded handle is also integrated into the design to keep owners comfortable while on a walk. iYoShop also added a waste bag ring just below the handle to keep waste bags within easy reach.
You can purchase this double leash in six colors. Choose from black, blue, green, pink, purple, and red.
Click here to check out ¡YoShop Dual Dog Leash on amazon.com.
Best for Large Dogs: BWilkon Dual Dog Leash
- [No Tangle Double Leash Coupler] The 360° tangle-free clasp design prevents the leash from getting twisted while walking 2 dogs; The length of splitter leads can be adjusted via the buckles, gives your dogs more range of movement.
- [Dual Leash Walking 2 Dogs] double dog leash is made of high-end durable nylon; The walking leash can fully extend to 6.6ft in length, endure up to 200lbs dogs.
- [Hand Free Leash] Waist wearing belt keeps your hands free, allowing you to enjoy walking and running when walking your dogs.
- [Dual Bungee Leash] Dual Bungee Leash help to absorb some of the shocks when your dog suddenly lunges at a squirrel or cat.
- [Purchase Without Risk] If the product is damaged or defective when you receive it, or you have any problems with the leash after you use, please do not hesitate to contact us ( send us E-mail about your issues). We will get back to you ASAP
If you have large dogs, then the BWilkon Dual Dog Leash is one of your best choices. This leash is constructed from heavy-duty and durable nylon materials and is designed to be used with dogs weighing up to 200 pounds.
The leash features a dual bungee lead design. The bungee leads work to absorb shock to prevent your hand from getting pulled as much should your dog suddenly pull forward. You can extend the length of the walking leash up to 6.6 feet to give your dog greater freedom if desired.
It also features a 360-degree no-tangle clasp to ensure your dog’s leads don’t get intertwined if they cross and switch sides with one another during a walk. In addition to using the double leads with a leash, you can also hook them to a waist strap for a hands-free leash option.
Four different color choices are available for this double leash: black, pink, royal blue, and sky blue.
Click here to check out BWilkon Dual Dog Leash on amazon.com.
Best Adjustable Lead: DCBARK Adjustable Lead Double Dog Leash
- TANGLE FREE: Never worry about your dogs getting tangled with our innovative tangle-free swivel piece. Our leash rotates freely keeping your dogs comfortable no matter how wild and adventurous.
- ADJUSTABLE LENGTH: The adjustable lead length accommodates big dogs. Choose from the extra long 16-24 inches sizes, so you can walk two different size dogs easily
- COMFORT: To enhance your dog walking experience we’ve added neoprene padding to both handles for maximum comfort.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Made with premium quality weather-proof nylon material and durable hardware to ensure its use for years to come.
- CHOOSE YOUR SIZE: The leash is 1 inch wide, the handle is 1 meter long (about 40 inches), and the coupler's adjustable length is 16 to 24 inches. It is suitable for dogs from 50 to 100 pounds
This double leash allows you to adjust the length of each lead between 11 and 20 inches. This feature makes it easier to walk dogs of different sizes or adjust the amount of freedom you give your pup on a walk based on whether you want a long or short lead.
The leash features a tangle-free swiveling clasp that will prevent those frustrating cross-over mix-ups. DCBARK also added a comfortable neoprene padding to the leash’s handle to prevent rope burn or pain in the owner’s hands when walking their dog.
This adjustable double leash is available in medium and large sizes. The medium size is suitable for use for dogs weighing between 10 and 50 pounds, and the large size is best for dogs weighing between 50 and 100 pounds. You can purchase the leash in turquoise, neon green, neon orange, or army green.
Click here to check out DCBARK Adjustable Lead Double Dog Leash on amazon.com.
Best Retractable: WIGZI Two Dog Reflect Retractable Pet Leash
- 360 Degree automatically untangling technology allows you to comfortably walk two dogs at the same time, while maintaining individual control of each one
- Each dog may walk up to 10 feet in any distance while the leash spins automatically. Walk at night and the reflective leads shine bright if a car is approaching
- Features orange and green leads that are color-coded to matching stop buttons, so you’ll always know exactly which dog you’re controlling
- The same weight as a normal retractable leash and less expensive than buying two retractable leashes. This leash is compact and ergonomic. Enjoy holding the soft tough rubber handle
- 50 pounds each dog. Length: 10 feet per dog. Walk effortlessly and with fun
If you like the design of a retractable leash, you may want to consider the WIGZI Two Dog Retractable leash. This would be a good option to consider if your dogs are well-trained and you want them to have more freedom on the leash to go in their own direction. The long leads allow each dog to go up to ten feet away from the handler.
This double leash uses 360-degree untangling technology to ensure the two leads never get mixed up and intertwined. The handle features an ergonomic design to keep the dog walker’s hand comfortable and only weighs the same as a single retractable leash.
The two leads on the leash, one orange, and one green, are bright and reflective to help increase visibility at night. Additionally, there are color-coded buttons on the handle to allow you to lock each lead when needed to control your dog. This double lead is designed for use with dogs weighing up to 50 pounds.
Click here to check out WIGZI Two Dog Reflect Retractable Pet Leash on amazon.com.
What is a Double Dog Leash?
Double dog leashes feature a unique design that integrates two leashes with one handle for the owner. They can make it easier to walk two dogs together without their leashes getting all tangled up or having each dog pulling off in different directions.
Double dog leashes make sure that the pressure placed on each dog is evenly distributed between their collar and chest. This will help keep them comfortable during the walk as well. They may also feature shock absorption bungees to reduce pulling and keep handlers and dogs comfortable throughout the walk.
Many double dog leashes feature a 360-degree swivel design that will allow the leash to adjust when the dogs switch sides. This keeps the leashes from getting intertwined if the dogs repeatedly change sides during the walk.
Weight Limits for Double Dog Leashes
Different double dog leashes may have different weight limits. If you have two small dogs, you likely won’t need to look too closely at the weight limits, but when you’re looking for a double dog leash for large dogs, pay attention to these limits. Some leashes may only hold up to 100 pounds, while others may hold up to 200 pounds or more. The heavy-duty design of a double leash that can hold up to 200 pounds can make it a better choice for large dogs.
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Double Dog Leashes: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are double dog leashes good?
Double dog leashes can be good, but they aren’t for every dog/owner. For many owners, using a double dog leash makes the task of walking two dogs together easier. However, some find that it is easier to walk two dogs on separate leashes. The strength of your dogs and how well they follow commands may impact whether a double dog leash is right for you and them.
What is the best double dog leash?
The best double dog leash will be one that is comfortable to hold and strong enough to hold the weight of both of your dogs. We chose the ¡YoShop Dual Dog Leash as our top pick.
Where can I buy a double dog leash?
Double dog leashes can be found in pet stores, but you’ll likely find a larger selection shopping through a reputable online retailer.
How do you prevent dog leash tangle with a double dog leash?
Many double leashes feature a tangle-free design. These leashes have a 360-degree mechanism that makes it easy to get the dogs where they need to be and keep the two leads from getting tangled together.