Dogs are creatures of habit, so getting the right bowls during puppyhood is important. As your puppy develops, he will become attached to his food bowl, associate it with his dog food, and with you feeding him. There are few things he prizes more than that.
However, choosing the right bowls the first time is not an easy task. Dogs are famous for making a mess out of their food and water and tipping over their bowls, especially when they’re puppies. Fortunately, a variety of bowls exist with different sizes, materials, and designs to choose from.
With such an exciting event as taking care of a puppy in your home, there are several puppy bowls to choose from. We’ve put together a list that we believe are the best for each category. Hopefully, our reviews will help you pick the perfect bowls right away.
Verified Puppy Bowl Reviews: Our Hands On Experience
We’ve taken the time to review some puppy bowls in each category of stainless steel, ceramic, elevated, personalized, food and water bowl set, and slow feeder. We observed our puppies using the bowls to test for durability, ease of cleaning, anti-spillage, skid-resistance, heat-resistance, and a variety of sizes, designs, and colors.
Each type has its pros and cons. While we love stainless steel, it’s not very customizable. Ceramic gives better flavor to food, although it’s harder to clean. Elevated bowls reduce strain but many have a fixed height. Personalized bowls allow you to put your pup’s name on them. A food and water bowl set comes together; it’s convenient but doesn’t allow you to customize each. Slow feeder bowls prevent puppies from gulping down food but are bad for flat-snouted puppies.
The Top Picks for Puppy Bowls: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Puppy Bowl:WHIPPY 2-Pack Silver Stainless Steel Puppy Slow Feeder Bowls
- [100% STAINLESS STEEL MATERIAL]：WHIPPY slow feeder dog bowls are made of food grade material, non-toxic, they are healthy for your pet. Do not have to worry about the material to the dog cat pets harmful, no irritating smell, material safety and reliability. 100% stainless steel material ensures the sturdiness of the puppy bowl, does not rust, fade or deform.
- [SMOOTH SURFACE DOG BOWLS]: Surface of the puppy litter bowl is very smooth. Do not have to worry about security issues when the baby is eating. For the health of your pet, these stainless steel feeder bowl is the best choice.
- [THE BOWL PERFECT FOR PUPPIES]: WHIPPY slow feeder bowls have enough space to feed a litter of puppies or several adult dogs at the same time, ensure each puppy all can get the food or water. Our dog bowls are not deep, so they are easy for puppies to get the food or water, the raised center can slow down the puppy's eating speed and cultivate healthy eating habits for the puppy, it can also keep the dog bowl stability and prevent dog food from spilling out.
- [EASY TO CLEAN]: Dishwasher safe, as long as the ordinary cleaning can be restored without have a scratch, no matter how many times use is also looks new. And the dog bowl is stackable for more convenient storage.
- [THE BENEFITS OF SLOW FEEDER]: A slow feed dish bowl can reduce bloating, choking and gastrointestinal discomfort. When dogs eat from the slow feed bowl, the solid centerpiece causes them to eat along the edges with more mental attention, resulting in a slower feeding routine. This can promote long-terms health benefits for your pets
The WHIPPY 2-Pack Silver Stainless Steel Puppy Slow Feeder Bowls earn A-Z Animals #1 ranking for best overall puppy bowl.
In our testing, we found out it was true to its description of being non-skid, durable, and safe. It functions great as a slow feeder for both individual puppies and litters, although it’s best for a litter of small puppies or one to a few larger puppies.
One of the most important benefits of this type of slow feeder bowl is how the solid centerpiece affects the dogs’ eating behavior. Overeating, bloat, choking, and digestive issues are all things puppies can face while eating. The solid centerpiece encourages them to pay attention to get at the food along the edges, resulting in taking their time to eat. Hence, the name “slow feeder.”
Some puppies might not take well to the stainless steel due to the metallic flavor it gives to food.
In sum, the WHIPPY 2-Pack Silver Stainless Steel Puppy Slow Feeder Bowls earn our #1 ranking for their:
- Stainless steel construction
- Food-grade and non-toxic
- Easy to clean
- Slow feeding
- Three sizes available
Click here to check out WHIPPY 2-Pack Silver Stainless Steel Puppy Slow Feeder Bowls on amazon.com.
Best Stainless Steel Puppy Bowl:Vivaglory Dog Bowls Stainless Steel Water and Food Puppy Cat Bowls with Non Spill Skid Resistant Silicone Mat, Medium, Grey
- 13½ fl OZ(400 ML) for each bowl(5.5" Dia x 1.7" H) and one mat of 17.8" x 10.4" x 1.8", designed for your cat puppy or small dog
- 1 Serve 2: set of 2 bowls, simple and convenient—double bowls design feeder is a convenient serving dish, allows you to serve food and water in at the same time
- Stainless Steel Bowls: anti-corrosion and heat resistant, the stainless-steel pet bowl is durable for long-term use and healthy for your beloved pets especially for holding hot food
- Non-Spill and Skid Resistant: rolled-up design of under mat leaves area surrounding their dishes, keeping the water & food spills to a minimum and keeps the bowl from skidding on the floor when eating
- Easy to Clean and Store: double dishes and mat are easy to separate for cleaning and all dishwasher safe, which means it's quick and easy to keep everything clean and hygienic; flexible silicone mat is foldable for travel and storage
We’ve ranked the Vivaglory Stainless Steel Water and Food Feeder with Non Spill Skid Resistant Silicone Mat the best in stainless steel puppy bowls.
We found that the two bowls make it easy for portion feeding and their being on a skid-resistant mat prevents movement and spillage on the floor. The stainless steel and silicone are both food-grade and dishwasher-safe, so you don’t have to wash them by hand. Four sizes and ten colors to choose from make them easy to identify and size for your puppy no matter his age.
- Food-grade stainless steel
- Portion feeding
- Skid-resistant mat
- Cocked mat resists spillage
- Food-grade silicone mat
- Dishwasher safe
- Four size options
- Ten possible colors
- Best for small and medium-sized puppies
Click here to check out Vivaglory Dog Bowls Stainless Steel Water and Food Puppy Cat Bowls with Non Spill Skid Resistant Silicone Mat, Medium, Grey on amazon.com.
Best Ceramic Puppy Bowl:Bone Dry Paw and Patch Ceramic Pet Collection
- FULL DINNER SET - Set of 2 pet large pet bowl measures 7.5" Dia x 2.4" H, suitable for medium and large cats and dogs. California Prop 65 compliant and FDA food safe.
- DURABLE MATERIAL & EASY TO CLEAN - Pet bowl is made of Porcelain Ceramic with a silicone ring to keep from sliding on the floor. Conveniently dishwasher safe so it can be easily cleaned. No Fuss.
- NON-SKIDDING & FLIPPING - Silicone rim at the bottom will keep your pet's bowl from sliding around on the floor and help keep the bowl upright. No messy floors to clean.
- PAWTASTIC DESIGN - Delight your hungry pup or sassy cat with a fun printed food or water dish. Stylish and simple design will blend in with any décor in your home or kitchen. Suitable for food and water.
- MORE BONE DRY PET OPTIONS - Bone Dry offers various pet products including pet bed, pet towels, pet mats, pet bowls, blankets, and toy storage. For more options search: Bone Dry or click the Bone Dry link at the top of the page to explore our other collections.
Stainless steel is indeed very popular as an alternative to plastic. But ceramic has its unique benefits that stainless steel does not.
For one thing, ceramic imparts better flavor to food and water. It is safe to use and has more styles available, even personalized bowl options. However, it has a porous surface, so it’s not as easy to clean. It is also more fragile and expensive. On the other hand, if you have a small, calm, or older puppy, ceramic is a good choice.
With this in mind, we ranked the Bone Dry Paw and Patch Ceramic Pet Collection the best in ceramic puppy bowls.
- Three sizes available for any age or size of puppy
- Choose from single bowls or a bowl set
- Porcelain ceramic is durable and easy to clean
- Non-skid silicone rim on the bottom
- Five color options
- Cool design
Click here to check out Bone Dry Paw and Patch Ceramic Pet Collection on amazon.com.
Best Elevated Puppy Bowl:Lumoleaf Elevated Puppy Bowl
- 💌COMFORTABLE DINING EXPERIENCE for your Kitty & Puppy with LumoLeaf Raised and Adjustable Dog Cat Bowl, serving their food at mouth-level to reduce neck burden, lower joint pressure and prevent from back-flow.
- 💌PROMOTES HEALTHY DIGESTION. The 3 inch elevated stand offers perfect angel (0-30°) for your pet to swallow food and water easier, promote healthier digestive system.
- 💌TRANSPARENT, STYLISH and FUNCTIONAL bowl is made of safety and durable material. Easy to know food/water level at any angle. Easy to take care and Safe for use in the dishwasher.
- 💌REDUCE FOOD WATER SPILL with non-slip rubber at the bottom. The round steady base perfectly prevent the bowl from sliding and tipping over when pet is dining to keep floor and carpet clean.
- 💌DESIGNED for ALL CATS and PUPPIES. Single bowl holds up to 2 cups food or 10 oz water. Show your love on any occasion with this unique pet bowl gift. Any concerns or questions? No hesitate to contact our professional and customer care team.
Elevated puppy bowls make it easier for puppies to eat with less mess and less neck strain. Overstrain during physical development in puppyhood can result in issues later on, so this is an important consideration.
We ranked the Lumoleaf Elevated Puppy Bowl as the best in elevated puppy bowls. Instead of simply raising the bowl, unlike other elevated bowls, it has a 3-inch stand that is adjustable from 0 to 30 degrees to tilt the bowl as much as your puppy needs, minimizing digestive issues such as gas. The bottom has non-slip rubber and the design is stylish. You can choose from a single bowl or double bowls. Each can hold up to two cups of food or 10 ounces of water. Plus, it’s upper-rack dishwasher safe.
- 3-inch stand
- Adjustable from 0 to 30 degrees
- Stylish design
- Durable material
- Choose from single bowl or double bowls
- Upper-rack dishwasher-safe
- Size-appropriate for all puppies
Click here to check out Lumoleaf Elevated Puppy Bowl on amazon.com.
Best Personalized Puppy Bowl:Amazing Items Personalized Dog Bowls with Your Pet's Name
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: We use 100% high quality ceramic pet bowls. Dishwasher and Microwave SAFE!
- 15 DESIGNS & 2 SIZES: You can choose your design out of 15 remarkable designs and you can customize the bowl with your pet's name. You can also choose the size of the bowl between 6" and 7" for diameter.
- WATER & FOOD BOWL: Our ceramic bowls are suitable for both water and food feeding and it is easy to clean.
- FREE CUSTOMIZATION: Click "Customize Now" and start to design your great quality pet bowl.
There are several puppy bowls with adorable designs on them. But they’re not quite the same as puppy bowls you can put your puppy’s name on. And the best material for that is ceramic.
That’s why we’ve ranked the Amazing Items Personalized Dog Bowls with Your Pet’s Name the best in personalized puppy bowls. The ceramic allows for more designs than stainless steel, while the brand offers 15 designs with two sizes. It’s also dishwasher and microwave-save.
- Ceramic material
- 15 designs
- Two size options
- Dishwasher and microwave-safe
Click here to check out Amazing Items Personalized Dog Bowls with Your Pet's Name on amazon.com.
Best Puppy Bowl Set: Y YHY Elevated Raised Pet Food and Water Bowls with Stand
- Reduce Neck Burden : the metal frame raises the cat bowls to a more convenient height,（4.75 inches), your cat could comfortably eat and drink without having to strain his neck down, it also helps with swallowing and digestion. Suitable for kitten & puppy.
- Prevents Whisker Fatigue : the shallow & wide design, your cat's whiskers will not touch the side of the cat dish while eating, it prevents whisker fatigue and keeps their face clean.
- Suitable For Cat or Puppy : bowl dimensions: 4.8" x 4.8" x 2", stand dimensions: 11" diameter, 4.75" high, 12oz for each bowl. Do not need to refill constantly.
- Elevated Cat Bowl with Sturdy Stand : two bowls could properly fit into the frame and your cat can't tip it over or push the bowls easily. No more food and spilled water on the floor.
- Health & Sturdy Ceramic : drop and shock resistant, a firm surface can prevent scratches, thereby reducing health problems, especially for cats. Microwave and dishwasher safe, easy to wash and dry.
When it comes to puppy bowl sets, we’ve found that not just any set will do. That’s why we ranked the Y YHY Elevated Raised Pet Food and Water Bowls with Stand as the best in puppy bowl sets. It has several perks at once:
- Ceramic material
- Elevated on a stand
- Shallow, wide bowls for ease of feeding
- 12-ounce volume
- Cute design
Click here to check out Y YHY Elevated Raised Pet Food and Water Bowls with Stand on amazon.com.
Best Slow Feeder Puppy Bowl:LE TAUCI Ceramic Slow Feeder Puppy Bowl
- Ceramic Material, Keep Away from Chin Disease - The veterinarian recommends using a ceramic bowl to keep your dog away from chin disease. According to investigations, plastic bowls are easy to breed bacteria and cause black jaws. If you love your dog, our ceramic slow food bowl will be your best choice. These dog feeder bowls are made from ceramic. Microwave safe, you can heat your dog's food at any time.
- Durable Ceramic，Prevent Your Dog From Eating Plastic - We found that plastic slow food bowls are easily damaged by dogs, they will bite and eat by mistake. The surface of the plastic will also fall off during use, which is not conducive to a healthy diet for dogs. We use ceramic material, strong and durable, not easy to damage, so your dog could enjoy his food safely and healthily.
- Easy To Clean, Not Easy To Hide Dirt - Smooth glaze has good effect that not easy to hide dirt and Residual odor. The fun feeders are dishwasher safe and easy to clean. It means less work for you and more playtime with your puppy.
- Non-slip, Say Goodbye To The Messy Floor - These ceramic dog bowls are heavy enough(about 1.3kg) and non-slip base so that the dog cannot move easily while eating. Whether your dog has a diet of dry, wet, or raw food, these non-slip bowls will do the trick!
- Slow Down Eating, Bring Dog A Healthy Diet - Fast-eating dogs are experience bloat, regurgitation, and obesity easily. Our slow feeder dog bowl design with the ridges and maze pattern helps your dog to eat slower than 10 times. Your dog could change his overeating behavior through a challenge and fun mealtime.
Slow feeder puppy bowls are great for minimizing digestive issues in your puppy. We took the effort to make sure the best slow feeder was not plastic, which is the most widely available, and so would resist chewing from puppies. For this reason, we ranked the LE TAUCI Ceramic Slow Feeder Puppy Bowl the best in slow feeder puppy bowls. With all the chewing teething puppies tend to do, especially with slow feeding, it’s the best material around.
- Ceramic material
- Two colors
- Two slow feeder patterns
Click here to check out LE TAUCI Ceramic Slow Feeder Puppy Bowl on amazon.com.
How to Choose Puppy Bowls
Look for bowls that are easy to clean and resist tipping over. Separate bowls for food and water are best to keep messiness down. And of course, the puppy bowls you choose also depend on your dog’s portion needs per his breed, size, and age. Normal bowls allow you to feed your puppy certain portions, while others are slow-feeder bowls. Consider also whether you will use them as hand-me-downs for other dogs or litters of puppies.
The Different Types of Puppy Bowls: Pros and Cons Compared
1. Stainless steel
|Durable||Not very customizable|
|Most hygienic material||Lack of designs|
|Dishwasher and microwave-safe||Porous|
|Durable||Harder to clean|
|Better food flavor|
|Several designs and highly customizable|
|Reduces physical stress and digestive issues||Often can come out of holders (if applicable)|
|Customization with puppy’s name||Ceramic material only|
|Many designs to choose from|
5. Food/water bowl set
|Convenient food and water for each puppy||Cannot customize food or water bowl|
|Reduces mess if bowls are in a holder|
6. Slow feeder
|Reduces digestive issues||Not for flat-snouted puppies|
|Slows down feeding|
Last update on 2021-11-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Puppy Bowls: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What bowl is best for a puppy?
We ranked the WHIPPY 2-Pack Silver Stainless Steel Puppy Slow Feeder Bowls as the #1 overall puppy bowl.
Do puppies need elevated bowls?
No, but they are great for reducing strain, especially if you have a large breed or older puppy.
Are slow feeder bowls good for puppies?
Yes, because they make them slow down when eating food.
What kind of bowls can puppies have?
They can have stainless steel, ceramic, elevated, personalized, food and water bowl set, or slow feeder bowls.