Our Top Picks
Just looking for the answer? Here are our top picks for the Best Dog Food for Allergies. You can keep reading to see our full reviews below.
Antibiotics for dogs help treat a range of bacterial infections. Whether you get antibiotics with or without a vet prescription, you can trust that they will help restore your dog to health. Antibiotics might come in liquid, pills, or ointment.
Antibiotics have been commonly prescribed for skin infections. Dog antibiotics have a different dosage than antibiotics for human use. Antibiotics for teeth are also commonly prescribed for dogs.
There are also natural antibiotic options that you can choose if you prefer not to use mainstream pharmaceutical products. Regardless of whether you require drops, tablets, or some other form, we’ve addressed the best options.
Verified Review: Testers and Users
Being able to buy antibiotics for dogs online offers greater convenience. We were very pleased with the number of products that we could get without a vet prescription. The liquid options were particularly convenient.
One complaint that we had with products designed for skin issues was that some were relatively weak compared to similar human dosages. We also found that some products designed for teeth and gums were challenging to get dogs to take. Read on to learn more about the different antibiotic options that we reviewed.
The Top Picks for Antibiotics for Dogs: Ranked
#1 Best Overall Antibiotics For Dogs: SalutemPet Forte Health Natural Herbal Supplement
- ✅ HERBAL SUPPLEMENT FOR ALL DOGS AND CATS - organic product that may help your pet to feel great with the a balanced composition and easy-to-use form.
- ✅ POWER OF NATURE - the newest and improved formula with no artificial additives! Formula Includes Cranberry, Echinacea, Pau D’arco, Clove, Oregano - in liquid form.
- ✅ COMPREHENSIVE AND GENTLE CARE - powerful composition supports pets with the most common issues, it has soft herbal effect - give it a try!
- ✅ FOR EVERY PET, ALL BREEDS & SIZES - the supplement was developed for every cat or dog - the liquid is quickly absorbed and has a supportive effect.
- ✅ QUALITY IS OUR ADVANTAGE - we are proud to provide a product that is grown, harvested, processed and manufactured exclusively in the USA! Nature Friendly and Cruelty Free!
SalutemPet Forte Health Natural Herbal Supplement is organic and gives your dog maximum immune support. Some of the natural ingredients includes oregano, clove, garlic, and cranberry, to combat inflammation in all areas.
This remedy provides chemical-free relief for UTIs, kennel cough, and other conditions without vet prescription. Dogs of all breeds and sizes will see effective, safe relief because the remedy enters the bloodstream quickly.
All ingredients used have been grown, harvested, and processed in the United States using sustainable methods. The only flaw we noticed was that some dogs refused this supplement when added to their food, requiring us to get in into them with a bit of a struggle.
Of all the products we tried, SalutemPet Forte Health Natural Herbal Supplement worked best overall.
Best Dog Antibiotic for Skin
We enjoyed the PetSilver Wound Spray with Chelated Silver as an alternative to prescription products for skin-related issues. The spray effectively treats wounds and is safe for your dog to ingest if licked accidentally.
Chelated silver is one of the most beneficial ingredients that we’ve found for human and animal use. We’ve found value in keeping solutions with silver on hand in first aid kits since you never know when dogs will have stubborn wounds.
In a few instances, we found that this spray had minimal or no effect. However, the cases where this product worked as expected unnumbered the ones where it did not.
Click here to check out PetSilver Wound Spray with Chelated Silver on amazon.com
Best Liquid Dog Antibiotic for Ears: Curaseb Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment
- Treats Ear Infections, Inflammation, Redness, Itchiness and Head Shaking caused by Unwanted Foreign Visitors
- Flushes Away and Gently Deodorizes Smelly Ears from Wax, Dirt, Sticky Discharge and Accumulated Biofilms
- Perfect for Routine Ear Cleaning Especially After Swims and Baths
- No Sting Veterinary Formula is Safe for Dogs, Puppies, Cats & Kittens
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facility in Small Batches for Quality and Safety
Curaseb Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment allows you to dispense a safe dosage that helps effectively combat ear infections and inflammation. Another valuable benefit that this product offers is effective deodorizing, neutralizing odors that come from wax and biofilm.
In addition to combating infections, we like how useful it is for routine cleaning and does not sting. We were impressed by the product being manufactured in smaller batches for better quality.
The one problem that we encountered was that the cap never reattaches after use. If you dislike the idea of having this strong-smelling product spilling, you may want to consider a different option.
Click here to check out Curaseb Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment on amazon.com
Best Antibiotic Ointment for Dogs
Sulfodene 3-Way Ointment for Dogs is effective for treating skin conditions that cause itching and pain, frequently leading to infection. This ointment provides an effective barrier against germs, flies, and water.
This product is effective in treating issues with a bacterial or fungal basis. We liked how versatile it was in treating different types of infections.
One complaint we had was that this product contains some essential oils that are known problems for some dogs. Also, the dogs that we used the ointment on seemed to dislike the smell.
Click here to check out Sulfodene 3-Way Ointment for Dogs on amazon.com
Best Natural Antibiotic for Dogs: AMBER NATURALZ - VIBACTRA Plus - Immune Support Plus
- HERBAL BLEND PRODUCT: Vibactra contains a blend of herbs to help promote a healthy system for overall health.
- FORMULATED JUST FOR PETS: Vibactra is made for dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, and rabbits. Vibactra contains antioxidants to fight free radicals, supports immune functions, maintains a healthy microbiome and a healthy inflammatory response.
- VIBACTRA, IMMUNE SUPPORT: Includes one (1oz) bottle, a convenient tool for administration, and easy-to-follow instructions.
- QUALITY: Amber NaturalZ is subject to a series of quality checks and testings. We devote ourselves never to use artificial colors or artificial flavorings to make a simple sale. Instead, we strive to produce products and services you can trust because you and your pet(s) deserve the BEST!
- CUSTOMERS: We appreciate our customers and are proud to have helped so many wonderful and faithful customers so far! Your Animal's Health is Our Concern; thank you for allowing us to help care for your pets!
AMBER NATURALZ - VIBACTRA Plus - Immune Support Plus provides strong immune support for all areas of your dog’s body. Because it is given in drops, it is excellent for dogs having issues with their teeth and gums.
This product fights free radicals, which is something that we seek in a product. There are no artificial colors or flavors, which we also enjoy in a product.
The only problem that we encountered was getting the dosage right when giving it to dogs. Because the product is designed to be given four times a day, getting the dosage right matters.
Click here to check out AMBER NATURALZ - VIBACTRA Plus - Immune Support Plus on amazon.com
Best Dog Antibiotic for Urinary Tract Infections
The Amazing Cranberry for Dogs Pet Antioxidant is perfect for dogs resistant to taking pills. The chews feature healthy ingredients like MSM and fish oil, in addition to cranberry and apple cider vinegar.
One of the things that we liked a lot was that this product is free from common allergens like wheat and soy. These chews contain probiotics for better digestibility.
We found that dogs with dental issues may have trouble with this product, which has the consistency of tablets. Dogs with chewing difficulties may refuse these.
Click here to check out Amazing Cranberry for Dogs Pet Antioxidant
Types of Infections Common in Dogs
Ear infections and UTIs are some of the more common conditions that dogs get. Skin irritations from flea bites and allergies are also typical dog infections. Because some of these infections are antibiotic-resistant, owners need a range of solutions to consider.
Natural vs. Commercial Antibiotics
Natural antibiotics use ingredients like clove oil that are known for their infection-fighting properties. In many cases, they are less likely to produce severe allergic reactions. Although many commercial antibiotics require a veterinarian’s prescription, natural options are always available without a vet prescription.
Choosing an Antibiotic Type for Your Dog
Although most of us think of antibiotics being available as pills or tablets, these products are available as drops and ointment. The type of antibiotics that you use will depend on the type of infection and how easily you can get the medication into the dog. For example, dogs who resist pills may do better with drops added to food.
The Different Types of Antibiotics for Dogs: Pros and Cons Compared
|Easy for dogs that dislike pills to take||Sometimes tricky to dose|
|Better targeted to certain types of infections, such as ears||Only some liquid antibiotics can be ingested|
|Drops often have flavoring dogs enjoy|
|Commonly available||Often difficult to get dogs to take|
|Easy to figure out the dosage|
|Effective for skin infections||Only useful for skin issues|
|Gentle on the skin|
Last update on 2022-05-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Antibiotics for Dogs: Updated for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I get antibiotics for my dog without seeing a vet?
Yes, there are antibiotics that you can get without a vet prescription.
Can you get antibiotics at a pet store?
Many pet stores, including online pet stores, carry antibiotics that are safe to use for dogs.
How much are antibiotics for dogs?
Antibiotics for dogs span different price ranges; however, many are available for as low as $7 to $10.
What antibiotics are safe for dogs?
Some of the most popular antibiotics that humans use, like doxycycline, amoxicillin, azithromycin, and ampicillin, are safe for dogs, as well as natural antibiotics.
How long does it take for antibiotics to work in dogs?
In most cases, dogs will start seeing the relief in as little as a few hours, with 24 hours being the most typical.
When should I give my dog antibiotics?
You should give your dog antibiotics when it is diagnosed with an infection.