Choosing the best dog leash will help you safely take your pup out for walks without fear of them breaking off of their leash and escaping. The best dog leashes will also help you maintain control of your dog in crowded situations while giving them a bit more freedom to explore and sniff when it is safe to do so.
There are so many different dog leashes on the market that it can feel very overwhelming trying to decide which one is right for your dog. We’ve put together reviews of some of the best leashes out there to help you select the one that will keep both you and your dog happy. Continue reading to discover our top picks, including our #1 overall choice!
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
We believe in testing each product that we recommend to our customers. Before writing this review, we purchased and tested a wide variety of dog leashes. The products recommended below represent our favorite products. Here are a few additional observations about each of these leashes:
- FunTags Reflective Nylon Dog Leash: We like the added padding on the handle of this leash and find that it makes it more comfortable to hold our dogs while we’re walking. However, we didn’t love that the reflective stitching is only on one side of the leash and wish it was on both sides for increased visibility.
- Logical Leather Dog Leash: After getting a close up view of this leash, we could tell that it was build to last and made using high-quality full-grain leather. We wish that the 360-degree clasp rotated a bit more easily, though.
- Ladoogo Reflective Dog Collar and Leash Set: We like that this leash and collar are sold as a set and found that the reflective threads were a nice addition for increased visibility. We didn’t think feel confident that the leash would be strong enough for a larger dog, especially one that likes to pull.
The Top Picks for the Best Dog Leash: Ranked
#1 Overall Best Dog Leash: FunTags Reflective Nylon Dog Leash
- COMFORT PADDED HANDLES: Easy to grip padded handle is comfortable on your hand.Just enjoy the feeling walks with your dog and protect your hand from rope burn.
- REFLECTIVE AND NYLON MATERIAL: Nylon fabric with high density webbing to add durability. Luminous reflective threading through the full dog leashes enhances super high visibility and would be reflective when lights shine on them at night. Walking in the dark would be safe.
- 360° ROTATING CLASP: Swivel clasp prevents the leash from twisting and dog getting tangled, allowing your dog to get enough freedom. you to get a good control of your dogs.
- IDEAL LENGTH AND WIDTH:6ft long leash allows your puppy to have enough space to walk. The 3/4"(2.0cm)width suitable for small to medium dogs, 1.0"(2.5cm)width suitable for medium to large dogs.
- PERFECT COMBINATION: This dogs leash is a single product. We make nylon collar in various colors to match our beautiful leash. The matching personalized collar is available by search the asin "B07Z69ZGYL " .
We really like the FunTags Reflective Nylon Dog Leash. In addition to being a budget-friendly choice, this leash is also very strong and durable. The nylon fabric features a high-density webbing to keep it intact and prevent dogs from escaping. It also has reflective threading for increased visibility in low lighting conditions.
A padded handle is integrated into the design to keep the owner comfortable and prevent rope burn. The leash also features a 360-degree rotating swivel clasp to ensure the leash doesn’t tangle or twist to provide dogs with the freedom to comfortably explore.
This leash comes in two different lengths and two different widths to accommodate small and large dogs: 4 feet by 3/4 inches, 4 feet by 1 inch, 6 feet by ¾ inches, and 6 feet by 1 inch. It is also available in 12 different colors to match your dog’s harness or collar. A few of the color choices include: red, purple, orange, black, and turquoise.
Click here to check out FunTags Reflective Nylon Dog Leash on amazon.com
Best Leather: Logical Leather Dog Leash
- ✅ GENUINE FULL GRAIN LEATHER LEASH for a lifetime of heavy duty use. Made from a single long piece of beautiful premium grade leather to last even through extreme conditions - Six feet long, 5/8 inch wide and 1/8 in. thick.
- ✅ PREMIUM NICKEL PLATED SOLID BRASS CLASP clips on and off the collar easily yet won't disengage without release by the trainer.
- ✅ PROFESSIONAL GRADE - Police and Military gauge training weight handles even the strongest working and service dogs. INDEPENDENTLY TESTED to OVER 245 lbs of Pulling Force. 6 foot length recommended by trainers worldwide.
- ✅ BEAUTIFUL, STRONG AND DURABLE - Requires minimal care, yet feels supple and won't tear at your hands or collect hair like nylon leashes when training, walking or running with your pet.
- ✅ BEST LIFETIME GUARANTEE - If, for whatever reason, you don't absolutely Love your Leather Training Lead, just return it, and we'll refund every penny (or replace it, if there is a problem).
Splurge a bit for your pup with this Logical Leather Dog Leash. The full-grain leather leash is designed to be durable and long-lasting. It features a profession-grade handle to help you keep control of your pup and assist in training.
The leather material is easy to care for and resists water damage. It is also soft and comfortable to hold while you’re walking your dog. This leash also includes a solid brass clasp to ensure a secure connection to your dog’s collar or leash.
You can purchase this leather leash in 4-, 5-, or 6-foot lengths. It comes in 11 color options including brown, blue, purple, and black.
Click here to check out Logical Leather Dog Leash on amazon.com
Best Collar and Leash Combo: Ladoogo Reflective Dog Collar and Leash Set
- COMFORT: the Ladoogo dog collar is padded with soft neoprene. Extremely comfortable and breathable. Care your dog neck
- DURABILITY and CONVENIENCE: Made of durable nylon webbing, strong quick release buckle and metal D ring. Easy to adjust and put on or take off. All metal accessories are strong and rust-proof. Machine washable. Easy care for daily use
- REFLECTIVITY: Highly reflective threads keep high visibility at night for safety
- BONUS DOG LEASH: A free 5ft dog leash is included. Featured with comfortable foam handle, strong climbing rope, and tangle-free hook
- 100% MONEYBACK GUARANTEE: All purchases are backed by a 12 months hassle-free warranty
If you need a collar and a leash for your dog, consider this set from Ladoogo. The collar is designed to be comfortable and breathable for dogs and features neoprene padding. It is also designed to be easy to put on and take off and features a quick-release buckle. A metal D-ring is included in the collar’s design to provide a spot to hook up the included leash.
The leash in this set is 5 feet long and is made from a durable climbing rope material. It features a tangle-free design and hook.
Both the collar and the leash include reflective threads for increased visibility after dark. There are eight different color options available for this set. A few of the choices include: blue, red, black, and purple.
Click here to check out Ladoogo Reflective Dog Collar and Leash Set on amazon.com
#1 Overall Best Retractable Dog Leash: TUG 360° Tangle-Free Retractable Dog Leash
- Small Leash is Suitable for Dogs Under 35 lbs; Medium For Dogs Under 55 lbs; Large For Dogs Under 110 lbs; Retractable Leashes Not Suitable For Chewing
- 16 ft Tape Leash With Easy-Adjust Retraction; Tangle Free 360 Degree Tape Movement
- Quick Lock And Unlock Feature - Easy Roll-On and Roll-Off With Your Thumb
- Super Comfortable Grip For Those Long Walks! Ergonomic Anti-Slip Handle
- Heavy Duty Internal Coil For Consistent Retraction
Our overall top pick for the best retractable dog leash is the TUG 360°. This is a well-constructed retractable leash that is sure to perform as desired, but it is also reasonably priced making it a budget-friendly option.
The leash comes in four different sizes: tiny (for dogs under 26 pounds), small (for dogs under 35 pounds), medium (for dogs under 55 pounds), and large (for large dogs under 110 pounds). Each leash has a 16-foot adjustable lead (or 10-foot lead for the tiny size). The lead features a tangle-free mechanism to prevent dogs from getting caught up in the lead.
Use your thumb to easily lock or release the lead to maintain control of your dog or give him additional freedom depending on the specific situation. The hand features an ergonomic design to keep handlers comfortable. There are seven different color options available: black, blue, green, gray, red, white, and white/orange.
Click here to check out TUG 360° Tangle-Free Retractable Dog Leash on amazon.com. Find more verified and reviewed retractable dog leashes here.
#1 Overall Best Double Dog Leash: ¡YoShop Dual Dog Leash
- The iYoShop Advantage: 35.5 inch rope leash + double bungee extension (20 inches - 35 inches)
- Heavy Duty Design: Climbing rope and tightly woven nylon bungee extension make the iYoShop dog leash more durable but lightweight, heavy duty and easy to clean
- No Tangle Design: 360° swivel clasp design allows for auto adjusting when dogs criss cross, no limitation for your dogs while moving from side to side without messing the leash
- Shock Absorbing Bungee Extension: Unique bungee design helps to absorb shock of quick movement when used with energetic and active dogs, reduce the feeling of being pulled. The length of the bungee can be extended from 20 to 35 inch with strong pulling force, which give your dogs enough room to run in front of you or beside you
- Comfort Padded Handles: Features soft padded handles for amazing comfortable shock grip, and protects your hand from rope burn
We found that there was a lot to love about the iYoShop Dual Dog Leash. This leash is available in two different sizes for small dogs (between 8 and 25 pounds) and medium/large dogs (between 25 and 150 pounds). The 360-degree swivel clasp works to prevent leashes from tangling up if your dogs cross sides as you walk.
The leash features a shock-absorbing bungee lead that works to reduce that feeling of being pulled when your dog becomes too excited on its leash. You can extend the bungee to provide your dogs with more freedom or keep them closer to you for greater control. It can adjust to between 20 and 35 inches.
The leash is made using a heavy-duty climbing rope that has reflective threads woven into it to increase nighttime visibility. A comfortable padded handle is also integrated into the design to keep owners comfortable while on a walk. iYoShop also added a waste bag ring just below the handle to keep waste bags within easy reach.
You can purchase this double leash in six colors. Choose from black, blue, green, pink, purple, and red.
Click here to check out ¡YoShop Dual Dog Leash on amazon.com. Find more verified and reviewed double dog leashes.
The Different Types of Dog Leashes: Pros and Cons Compared
There are many different types of leashes out there. Some of the most common types include nylon leashes, leather leashes, chain leashes, and retractable leashes. Each leash type comes with its own pros and cons.
|Strong and durable material||Some dogs may chew through nylon leashes|
|Relatively inexpensive||Can cause friction burns for the handler when trying to control a pulling dog|
|Available in a wide range of colors|
|Easy to clean|
|Stylish and attractive||More expensive|
|Durable material that will last a long time||Not available in as many colors as nylon leashes|
|Can resist some chew|
|Comfortable for handles to grip|
|Heavy-duty material to resist chewers||It may be too heavy for small dogs|
|It may be a good solution for pullers||Can hurt the hands of the handler when trying to reign in the dog|
|Allows well-trained dogs to go further to explore||Can make it more difficult to keep dogs controlled|
|Can let dogs use the bathroom while the owner stays dry on a rainy day.||Could potentially get wrapped around the handler and cause injury|
|Could snap and allow the dog to escape|
How to Choose the Best Leash for Your Dog
Keep the features shared below in mind as you shop for the best leash for your dog. Using these to guide your search can help you choose a leash that offers everything you and your dog need.
First, decide what leash material you’d prefer. Nylon and leather are two of the most popular choices. Both materials are heavy-duty and durable. Leather is a bit more of a splurge, but can also last a lot longer than nylon. Nylon comes in a wider array of colors, but could still be destroyed by dogs who really like to chew their leashes. You can also find rope, chain, and retractable leashes.
Next, consider how long of a leash you would like. Many areas have laws that limit the length to 6 feet, but the law in your area may vary. A shorter leash can be best for pullers and can give you more control of your dog, while a longer leash can be good to give well-trained dogs a bit more freedom to explore.
Dog Size and Strength
The size of your dog and its strength should also be considered. Large dogs will be stronger than small dogs and will often need a sturdier leash to keep them from pulling.
Finally, keep your budget in mind when shopping for a leash. Are you looking to splurge and buy something fancy and stylish for your dog, or would you rather save your money by purchasing something practical, yet more economically priced?
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best dog leashes: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best kind of leash for a dog?
A traditional 4- or 6-foot leash made of nylon or leather is a good choice for a dog. A length of 6 feet provides dogs with enough freedom, while still ensuring owners are able to maintain control of their pup. Leather and nylon are also both very durable materials and can hold up well to large dogs and small dogs alike.
What is the most secure dog leash?
If you have a large dog or are looking for a leash for pullers, choosing a heavy-duty leash is a good idea. Some leashes designed for pullers or to prevent dogs from escaping are made from braided rope. The braided design of the rope adds extra stability and ensures that you maintain control of your dog.
What is the best leash for training a dog?
If you’re working outdoor training for your dog, choosing a 6- to 10-foot nylon leash is probably best. A 30- to 50-foot leash may be necessary if you are working to train your pup using distance commands. For indoor training, long and thin rounded nylon leashes tend to work best since they won’t get stuck under furniture in the home as easily as flat leashes.
What is a good leash length?
When walking your dog outdoors, a leash with a length between 4 and 6 feet is typically best. A 6-foot leash can be better for giving your dog a bit more freedom to explore, while a 4-foot leash may be better when you need to keep your dog close by, such as when walking through a more crowded city.
Is a retractable leash bad?
Many experts do not feel like a retractable leash is the best overall choice for a few different reasons. Retractable leashes often extend too long and can allow dogs to get too far ahead of their handler. With the dog this far away, should they become threatened by an aggressive dog, it will be extremely difficult to reign them in and get control. Retractable leashes are also more likely to break when stretched so far out. It is also possible for them to become tangled around the dog handler, which can lead to potentially serious injuries.