|Best for Small Dogs: Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6||Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6|
|Best for Picky Eaters: Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food||Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food|
|Best for Senior Dogs: IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes||IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes|
|Best for Puppies: Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food||Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food|
Feeding your dog the best dry dog food is just one of the ways you can help it enjoy a long and healthy life. When you select the best dry dog food for your pet, you’re contributing to the health of its kidneys, heart, lungs, brain, and other organs. Furthermore, a dog’s coat, skin, and nails all benefit from feeding it the best available options.
Some of the best brands offer a variety of choices that suit the size, breed, age, and even the tastes of a dog. You no longer have to settle for a one size fits all option. You can buy vet-recommended, dry dog food tailored to meet the specific needs of your pooch.
Verified Review: Our Hands-On Experience
At A-Z Animals, we evaluated several brands that offer dry dog food. We looked for products with quality ingredients without fillers as well as dry food formulas designed for dogs of different ages, sizes, and breeds. We searched for foods that support the overall health of dogs from head to tail. We even looked at foods made for picky eaters! Read on to find out which selections made our list.
The Top Picks for Best Dry Dog Food: Ranked
#1 Healthiest Overall Dry Dog Food:Hill's Science Diet Adult, Large Breed Dog Dry Food Perfect Digestion
- Perfect poop in 7 days
- Supports ultimate digestive well-being and a healthy microbiome, now in a larger kibble size
- Premium dog food that promotes regularity and healthy stools
- Contains ActivBiome+ Technology, an exclusive blend of prebiotics, plus whole grain oats and pumpkin
- High quality chicken is the #1 ingredient
After careful evaluation of various brands, we recommend Hill’s Science Diet Adult, Large Breed Dog Dry Food Perfect Digestion. This company combines rigorous testing, research, and feedback from veterinarians to create high-quality dog food for all breeds. It all comes down to the ingredients.
Protein is essential in the diet of a dog. This dry dog food has protein in the form of chicken, barley, rice, and whole-grain oats. Protein builds and maintains strong muscles and healthy tissue.
Another reason why we recommend this particular food as the healthiest option is its prebiotics. These aid in a dog’s digestion, so it enjoys all of the nutritious value in this food without stomach upset.
Vitamins C and E along with antioxidants help to make this the healthiest option for an adult, large breed dog. These nutrients support a dog’s immune system so it can avoid illness or recover from common ailments more quickly.
Click here to check out Hill's Science Diet Adult, Large Breed Dog Dry Food Perfect Digestion on amazon.com.
The Top Vet-Recommended:Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult 1-6
- This dog food made with natural ingredients uses high quality, easy-to-digest ingredients to fuel the specific energy needs of your full-grown dog
- Helps maintain a beautiful skin and a healthy coat by providing a precise balance of omega-6 & vitamin E
- Supports lean muscle growth and maintenance in your adult dog with a premium source of high quality protein. Caloric content: 3665 kcal/kg (364 kcal/cup)
- Packed with natural fibers to promote healthy digestion for your fully grown dog
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
If you’re looking for the best veterinarian-recommended dry dog food we recommend Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult 1-6.
The main reason why veterinarians recommend this food is its ingredients. It contains high-quality protein to support an adult dog’s muscles. Plus, it has Omega-6s and Vitamin E for a dog’s coat and skin health.
The variety of flavors offered is another feature that makes this a vet-recommended food. In short, dogs find this dry food delicious! Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult 1-6 is available in chicken and barley as well as lamb meal and brown rice.
Veterinarians recommend this food because it’s easily digestible. Specifically, this formula contains natural fiber. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult 1-6 is designed to provide the proper amount of nutrients in a good-tasting, easy-to-digest formula.
Click here to check out Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult 1-6 on amazon.com.
Best for Small Dogs:Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6
- An adult dog food made with highly digestible ingredients that are easy on your small dog's stomach
- Nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Provides high quality protein to maintain lean muscle in small breed dogs
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Made with natural ingredients
We chose Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6 as our pick for the best dry dog food for small dogs.
Its kibble-sized pieces is specially designed for the mouths of small dogs. Not only is it easy for small dogs to consume, but it’s also easy for them to digest.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws is available in delicious flavors like chicken meal and rice, lamb meal, and brown rice to suit the tastes of your small dog.
The special formula of Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6 supports the muscles and bones of small dog breeds. It features high-quality protein as well as antioxidants to strengthen the immune systems of small dog breeds. The Omega-6 and Vitamin E in this formula contribute to healthy skin and fur.
Click here to check out Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Small Paws 1-6 on amazon.com.
Best for Picky Eaters:Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real chicken to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Is your dog a picky eater? If so, we recommend Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food. This dog food is designed to please the palate of the pickiest eaters.
Dogs are dedicated carnivores. This is why Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein is so popular with canines. The deboned chicken in this recipe satisfies the hunger and tastes of an adult dog. The fish meal it contains is designed to supply the proper amount of protein to nourish an adult dog’s muscles while supplying energy for its activities. Sweet tasting cranberries offer antioxidants along with Vitamins E, K, and C adding to a dog’s overall health.
The variety of flavors is appealing to both dogs and their owners. Along with the chicken, this option for picky eaters is available in salmon or duck.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein has no artificial flavors or preservatives that can adversely affect a dog’s health. The pieces are cooked perfectly to retain their nutrients.
Click here to check out Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food on amazon.com.
Best for Senior Dogs:IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes
- Senior Dry Dog Food: Formulated to support healthy bones and joints with a balance of key nutrients for senior dogs, featuring real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient
- Veterinarians Recommend IAMS: This tasty kibble features a wholesome blend of fiber and prebiotics to promote healthy digestion, plus antioxidants to support a strong immune system
- Complete and Balanced Adult Nutrition: IAMS Dog Food is made with high quality animal protein and no artificial preservatives, flavors or fillers, for complete and balanced nutrition
- Tailored to Your Dog: We carry a full line of foods for your dog's age, size and dietary needs from puppy to adult to mature, small breeds to large, and with recipes to support healthy weight and digestion
- IAMS Super Premium Dog Food: Choose the nutrition that brings out your dog's best, tailored for their unique needs; Our high-quality, premium recipes are made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world
Senior dogs need certain types and amounts of nutrients to keep them vital. This is why we highly recommend IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes.
IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes contains high-quality protein in the form of chicken. Chicken is the first ingredient listed on this senior food. It contains zero fillers that can add weight to a senior dog of any breed.
This recipe serves the nutritional needs of senior dogs by adding DHA Gold to their diet. DHA Gold supports the brain and vision health of a dog that’s getting up in years. Factor in a supply of antioxidants along with beta carotene and Vitamin E and you have an excellent dry option for seniors.
As a dog gets older, its digestive system becomes less efficient. IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes has natural fibers and prebiotics to help aid efficient digestion for seniors. These must-have nutrients are included in the form of delicious carrots and beet pulp.
Click here to check out IAMS Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken, All Breed Sizes on amazon.com.
Best for Puppies:Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 6 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Puppy Food DHA Lamb & Rice Formula
- DHA from omega-rich fish oil nourishes brain and vision development
- Real lamb is the first ingredient
- High-quality protein builds lean muscles
- Used to be known as FOCUS Lamb and Rice Formula
Puppies need the right type of nutrients so they can grow up to be healthy, strong adult dogs. That’s why we recommend Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food for puppies. This particular food is designed for puppies under one year old.
A puppy’s teeth and bones are gaining strength as the canine approaches one year. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food has the right amount of calcium and phosphorus to support the growing teeth and bones. This recipe from Purina also contains fish oil which nourishes a puppy’s developing vision as well as its brain health.
This option is easy for puppies to digest. It contains the fiber a puppy needs to maintain a healthy digestive system as it goes through a day of energetic explorations!
Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food is available for a toy breed, small breed, and large breed puppies. This makes it easy to find the formula you need for the puppy in your household. Plus, there’s a helpful chart on the back of each bag that guides how much to feed a puppy based on its weight. This ensures the puppy gets the nutrients and energy it needs for its size.
Click here to check out Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice Dry Dog Food on amazon.com.
Last update on 2022-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Dry Dog Food: Reviewed for 2021 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the healthiest dry dog food to feed your dog?
At A-Z Animals, we recommend Hill’s Science Diet Adult, Large Breed Dog Dry Food Perfect Digestion as the healthiest option available. It supplies a dog with all of the nutrients it needs in an easy-to-digest formula.
What amount of dry dog food should I feed my canine?
Most dog food companies include a chart on each bag of dry dog food. Oftentimes, the weight of a dog is what dictates how much dry food it needs. So, it’s best to go by the weight chart on the back of a dry dog food bag to ensure you’re giving your dog the proper amount of nourishment.