|#1 Overall Best: Dogness Wi-Fi Automatic Feeder||Dogness Wi-Fi Automatic Feeder|
|#2 Best Pet-Friendly Feeder: WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser||WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser|
|#3 Best Features in Feeder: PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder||PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder|
|#4 Best Compact Feeder: PetSafe Two-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder||PetSafe Two-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder|
|#5 Best Smooth Operation: HoneyGuardian A36||HoneyGuardian A36|
Experts suggest we feed our canines two to three times a day, preferably at the same time. Life doesn’t make that easy. Rushing out in the morning for work, getting stuck at the office, meeting with friends for a quick drink, all this can interfere with maintaining a schedule. The bottom line: often pets are victims of our busy lives, allowed to eat when we get around to it. Automatic pet feeders are the ideal answer to this issue. Whether for kennel or home use, the device lets you live an active life without needing to rush home to famously “feed the cat.” Jump in to find out about the best automatic dog feeders?
Benefits of an Automatic Dog Feeder
Automatic dog feeders are a heavy-duty solution, helping us keep a steady schedule for our pets.
Feeders with timers let you set routine meals that a busy life can prevent. They provide peace of mind, letting you work and play and knowing your loved one is cared for. An unexpected event is easier to work into your day when you have an automatic pet feeder.
No Early Morning Wake-ups
Pets wake you because they’re hungry and stressed. A feeder can help prevent this. It distributes an appropriate meal every time. No need for you to get out of bed and open a can or pour kibble. With a routine, pets learn to not look to you for food.
Automatic feeders are sound ways to manage a pet’s weight as feeders distribute proportioned feeds. If our doggy eats too fast, feeders will slow her down. Get a model that not only keeps a schedule but dispenses over a small time.
Slowing the feed can improve digestion, prevent regurgitation and stomach bloating, and minimize obesity. The auto feeder’s a great option for cats too. Felines prefer to nibble on food over a longer period.
Criteria and Experience–How We Chose the Best
We drew up a list based on product reviews and customer reactions. Other factors included our personal experiences and the advice of breeders, vets, and vendors. We looked at the best features, budget, etc.
Here are just some of the criteria we applied to our research:
- Digital timers let you customize the feed: For the best service, get a device with a timer. Budget for a digital solution. Without one, you can only use default feedings. Some automatic pet feeders take advantage of the latest tech, such as the use of an app. Take your personal device and program meals as needed remotely.
- Feeders should distribute meals to your exacting specifications: A large dog wouldn’t receive the same feed as a small cat. Pets get fed based on factors like weight, size and breed. A half-cup or two-thirds of a cup, two or three times a day, your feeder options should meet your pet needs.
- You want a feeder that works with food your pet eats: Kibble comes in a range of sizes and shapes. Some automatic feeders can jam up, leaving your pet hungry when you’re not around. Unfortunately, feeders do not manage canned food.
- Overall, feeders have to be safe: Your pet shouldn’t be able to manipulate the device. And trust that your pet’s smart enough to remove the lid or hit buttons. You want a device with sound security. That might entail a mountable feeder or one with a hopper.
- It’s a good idea to check out devices that provide battery power: Why worry about power outages or other small disasters that might keep a dispenser from doing its job. Your feeder ought to relieve stress, not pump it up!
- You want a heavy-duty automatic feeder made of quality material: Get a solution that keeps food fresh, preferably engineered from metal. That type of feeder might cost a little more but the ROI will be invaluable.
On top of the above criteria, we also took into account warranties, outdoor and indoor use, and budget. The data was great for choosing the best automatic dog feeder for kennel or home use.
Best of the Best: A Roundup of the Top 5 Automatic Dog Feeders
Here’s our list of the top automatic dog feeders and why they’re leaders of the pack. Each is going to simplify balancing work-life and taking care of your pet.
#1 Overall Best:Dogness Wi-Fi Automatic Feeder
- Large capacity hopper 6.5 dry food, Humanized design, simple Setting
- Voice record/play at the programmed meal time, accurate portion control,Voice record/play at the programmed meal time, accurate portion control, two power supply: battery and power adaptor two power supply: battery and power adaptor (battery not included)
- HD Camera for Voice and Video Recording,work as a smart pet camera with a connected app that lets you see, talk, play with your pet. Connect with your pet while you are away with the supported audio chat/recording. Sharing your favorite moment on social media directly.
- Dimension: L 16.5 * W 8.66 * H 16.14 inch (assembled), weight: 3kg (6.6 pounds) (without batteries), power: power adapter 5V DC 1A with 3 meter (9 feet) long power cord
- Two Food Dispense Trays-The difference between small and large is the size of food dispense out,So you can replace it based on your need,each meal dispense from 1-39 Portions, Each Portion is around 10-12g, Simply Pick Your Portion Size & Unit Dispenses Dry Meals.Help control body weight and establish good eating habits which will allow them to live a long and healthy life with you.
The Dogness auto feeder is our pick for overall best of the best automatic dog feeders. It’s Wi-Fi enabled, letting you feed even when you’re away. There’s a camera as well, allowing you to check on your pet.
You can record a voice message to keep the kitty entertained. Download the free app and easily use your smartphone to program meals, activate the camera, and make adjustments as required.
|HD camera and voice recording||Pricey|
|Holds almost seven pounds of kibble|
|Works with Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz|
|Easy set-up and use|
Click here to check out Dogness Wi-Fi Automatic Feeder on amazon.com.
#2 Best Pet-Friendly Feeder:WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- Automatic Food Dispenser Makes Feeding Hassle Free for Pets’ Dietary Health & Wellbeing
- Capacity: 6L. Up to 4 meals a day ,each meal dispense from 1-39 Portions, Each Portion is around 10-12g, Simply Pick Your Portion Size & Unit Dispenses Dry Meals.
- Built in Voice Recorder and Speaker : Record your voice 10 seconds to call your pets for meals.
- Prevent Food Locking and Spills : Built in infrared detection which can prevent the food locking, let your pets enjoy the meals. This system can fit any different shapes dry foods, but the food size can not exceed 0.39" * 0.39"(1 cm*1 cm), otherwise the food may be stuck in the hole
- Ultra Low Power Consumption : Requires D Batteries (not included) 3 Pieces or USB Power
For the best bang for your ducat, serve up meals with the WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser. It comes with a timer that lets you program up to four meals a day.
But what’s really cool is the WESTLINK feeder lets you record a voice message of up to 10 seconds. You’ll be able to call out to your pet when it’s time for chow.
The WESTLINK promises to improve well-being and dietary health for your animals.
|Leave a message to call pet with your voice||Can only handle kibble that’s smaller than 0.39″ by 0.39″|
|Dispenses sizable amount of food||Not for large animals|
|Holds 6 liters of food for 39 meals total|
|Easy to place|
Click here to check out WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser on amazon.com.
#3 Best Features in Feeder:PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
- SCHEDULE YOUR PET'S MEALS: Conveniently schedule up to 12 meals per day for your cat or dog; best for cats and small to medium sized dogs
- FLEXIBLE PORTIONS: Schedule 1/8 cup to 4 cups per meal depending on your pet’s unique needs; requires 4 D-cell alkaline batteries (not included) or power adaptor (adaptor sold separately)
- WORKS WITH MOST KIBBLE: Feeder works with dry and semi-moist pet kibble that is up to 3/4 inch in diameter
- SLOW FEED OPTIONS: For pets who tend to eat too quickly, schedule meals larger than 1/8 cup to slowly dispense over 15 minutes
- PET-PROOF: The feeder is designed to keep prying paws from sneaking food before scheduled mealtimes
The PetSafe automatic feeder is a feature-rich device. This automatic dog feeder allows you to schedule a more than generous 12 meals a day. Portions can be set between 1/8 of a cup and up to four cups per meal. You’ll be able to feed even large animals to their unique needs.
The device works with most semi-moist and dry kibble up to 3/4 inches in size. It comes with a metal bowl for easy cleanup, as well as Pause and Feed Now functionality.
|Comes with a sturdy stainless steel bowl, not the usual plastic||Programming has a learning curve|
|For max flexibility, you can pause feeds or initiate Feed Now function||Bowl is too small for large dogs|
|Works with optional power cord or four D batteries|
Click here to check out PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder on amazon.com.
#4 Best Compact Feeder:PetSafe Two-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder
- PRACTICAL DESIGN – Setting your Pets feeding time is as simple as turning the clockwork timers, making organising meals quick, easy and hassle free
- DIET CONTROL – Featuring timer operated lids, the PetSafe 2 Meal Pet Feeder helps stop Pets from overeating whilst keeping food fresh, allowing owners to manage their Pet's portions
- CONVENIENT - Using the electronic timers, busy Pet Parents can set meals up to 48 hours in advance, meaning your companion won't go hungry
- EASY CLEAN – Each Meal Tray of the PetSafe 2 Meal Pet Feeder can be placed in the dishwasher for convenient, easy cleaning
- WARRANTY – The PetSafe 2 Meal Pet Feeder includes a 2 year manufacturer's warranty
The PetSafe auto feeder holds two separate meals in separate compartments. Each compartment opens at a predetermined time. So, you leave the house with the comfort of knowing your pet’s feed for the day. The device holds a total three-cup capacity.
What makes the PetSafe Two-Meal feeder stand out is — unlike most feeders — the PetSafe design is suitable for dry or wet food.
As you’re changing the food daily, you’re also promoting fresh feds. The PetSafe comes with a timer that lets you set meals 48 hours in advance.
|Famous for its durability and reliability||Persistent animals break into the unit|
|Good for small- to medium-sized cats and dogs||No power cord|
Click here to check out PetSafe Two-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder on amazon.com.
#5 Best Smooth Operation:HoneyGuardian A36
- 【Customize Meal Size & Time】HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder can dispense portions from 1 to 80 portions of 0.28 oz (about 1/16 cup) each per meal for 1 portion. Food storage capacity is 13 cups for dry food, the stainless steel bowl holds up 3 cups. The kibble size can not exceed 0.47 inch,otherwise it may get jammed.This automatic dog & cat feeder can be scheduled up to 6 meals a day. Once you program the feeding plans, they will be followed permanently even if the device is shut down.
- 【Easy to Clean and Low Food Alarm】Removable food container and stainless steel food bowl structure to be easily washed5. The pet feeder has a built-in low-food-alarm: When the food level is too low, the LED light will flash blue to remind you to fill in more food.
- 【Customizable Message Speaker】This automatic pet food dispenser has a built-in voice recorder and a speaker to call your pets to their meal with a 10-seconds-long message. You can also disable the recorder sound for your smart pet, it means you can have a good sleep in the weekends it will simply serves the pet without message reminder.
- 【Unique Infrared Detection Design】A built-in infrared sensor alerts when the food stuck in the feeder, the motor will rotate oppositely to release food to prevent the food from blocking.The automatic cat feeder is powered by power adapter and 4 D-size batteries. In case of power outage, the feeder will continue to function on 4 D-size batteries to assure your pet never miss a feeding. (Batteries are NOT included)
- 【Ergonomic Operation Panel】User friendly control panel, easy to set up. Anti-touch buttons to prevent your pet from accidentally touching and stealing food, Manual feeding choice to give pet food whenever you want. Top lid forms a type of seal so that the kibble stays fresh and so that your pets receive the food they need. Removable food container and stainlees steel bowl for easy installation and cleaning.
The HoneyGuaridan dispenses 80 meals at 0.28 ounces per. And it will do so even if it’s shut down.
The device and bowl’s design is heavy-duty stainless steel, an eco-friendly metal that’s easy to wash. The LED lights go red when food’s low in the hopper and reminds you it’s time to refill.
The HoneyGuaridan has inversion engineering. It minimizes food jamming and, should it jam, the engine goes in the opposite direction to clear the jam.
|LED alerts low food levels||Small hopper|
|Inverted motor functionality||Only for small dogs|
|Feeds even when shut down|
Click here to check out HoneyGuardian A36 on amazon.com.
Summary of the Best Automatic Dog Feeders
|1||Overall||Dogness Wi-Fi Automatic Feeder|
|2||Pet-Friendly||WESTLINK Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser|
|3||Features||PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder|
|4||Compact||PetSafe Two-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder|
|5||Smooth Operation||HoneyGuardian A36|
- Check Out Our Top 4 Picks For Best Dog Toothpaste: 2022 Update — Keep your dog’s teeth clean with our top recommendations on toothpaste.
- We Rounded Up the Best 4 Leather Dog Collars: Updated for 2022— Need help choosing the best leather collar for your dog? We’ve got the best choices for you!
- Best Organic Dog Food: Reviewed For You–You want your dog to eat the best organic dog food available–we’ve reviewed the best for 2022.
Last update on 2022-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Automatic Dog Feeders: Ranked for 2022 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are automatic feeders good for dogs?
Leaving out food because you don’t have time to track meals is a bad choice. You may think you’re keeping doggy or kitty happy and saving yourself some trouble, but you’re likely doing more harm than good. Pets overeat, even if to entertain themselves. They’ll pack on pounds, get large and open themselves up to all kinds of unhealthy illnesses. Overall, the auto feeder is the best option.
An automatic dog feeder with a timer setting out portions helps manage feeds and minimizes the possibility of obesity, diabetes, orthopedic conditions, and heart disease, to name a few.
Auto feeders are excellent options for kennels where regular meals ask for a lot of your time.
Are automatic dog feeders bad?
If you use automatic feeders to replace interaction, you’re neglecting your pet’s need to be around you. It’s not healthy to leave pets alone for extended periods. A feeder can’t be a substitute for pet sitting, boarding, or professional walkers. The auto feeder has to be a means to feed not replace you being there.
Why wouldn't I use a gravity feeder?
Gravity feeders drop food as the pet eats. The production can result in your pet gorging. Gravity feeders work on the theory poochy know self-restraint and will regulate her fed responsibly. The animal is more likely to eat as long as the food is accessible.
Should I get an indoor or outdoor feeder?
There’s really no such distinction between indoor and outdoor though several auto feeders have a strong design for outdoor use. These are usually models you might take a long while traveling with your pet. If your animal does some eating in the backyard, you certainly can consider putting a feeder outdoors.