|Best Overall||NaturVet Stool Ease Soft Chews|
|Best Natural||Nummy Tum-Tum Organic Pumpkin Canned Food Supplement|
|Best Liquid||Pet Wellbeing Smooth BM GOLD Bacon Flavored Liquid Digestive Supplement|
|Best With Digestive Support||VetriScience Express Ease Soft Chews Digestive Supplement for Dogs|
- There are multiple factors that can contribute to your dog being constipated which include: dehydration; being on medications; lacking fiber in its diet; having illnesses like cancer, hypothyroidism, or liver disease; lack of exercise; aging.
- Dog stool softeners contain healthy ingredients that can help combat your dog’s constipation. Pumpkin is a good source of natural fiber for dogs, as well as mineral or olive oil, psyllium seed husks, oat bran, and even ginger.
- Some types of dog stool softeners are tincture softeners, chew softeners, paste softeners, and liquid softeners. There are pros and cons to each type, so consider which will best meet your dog’s needs.
Just like humans, man’s best friend can suffer from occasional constipation. Being constipated can drastically affect your dog’s mood. It’s not uncommon for a vet to recommend a pet stool softener that can help to get things moving.
Because multiple things can cause constipation in our furry friends, it’s essential to go to the vet to rule out anything serious. There are a handful of incredible over-the-counter stool softeners that are designed for animals.
We took the guesswork out of searching online for the top picks! Below you’ll find four trusted products that will help your dog feel back to his best self again! We’ve also included a handy comparison guide with honest reviews.
A-Z-Animals Top Picks for Best Stool Softener for Dogs
Possible Reasons Your Dog May Be Constipated
So we’ve all probably dealt with bowel issues at some point in our lives. For pet dogs, are the causes similar or different? Let’s take a look at some factors that can contribute to your dog being constipated:
- Diet: Just like humans, dogs need diets that are high in fiber. It’s important to read the labels on the dog food you purchase for your dog to make sure that there is adequate fiber in them. Constipation can also result from your dog consuming too much calcium. Sources of calcium can be bones and bone meal. And some dog owners like to feed their pets table scraps. Make sure that whatever you give them is not foods that could contribute to constipation.
- Dehydration: If your dog is not drinking enough water or staying hydrated, for whatever reasons, this can lead to constipation.
- Exercise: Is your dog getting enough exercise, or does it lead a largely sedentary existence? Exercise is one of the best ways to keep your dog healthy in multiple ways, including its bowels.
- Elderly Dogs: Unfortunately, as dogs age, they can become more prone to issues like constipation.
- Medications: As you may have experienced yourself, medications like anti-biotics, pain meds, and more can rob your gut of good bacteria that leads to healthy bowel movements. If your dog is on any type of medication that would cause constipation, it will need supplements to help counteract that.
- Health Conditions–Illnesses like hypothyroidism, kidney disease, cancer (tumors in digestive tract), issues in the anal glands, and more, can contribute to constipation in your dog.
- Stress: If your dog is under stress or has emotional or psychological disorders, these types of conditions can cause issues with their bowels.
Choosing the Best: What to Look For
Picking the best stool softener for your dog is relatively straightforward. Pay attention to the ingredients and the type of softener it is. Most dogs can enjoy any of the products on our list, but pups that have dental issues or are too young may need to opt for a specific recommendation from your vet. Below is a list of some ingredients that should be included in a quality dog stool softener:
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is high in fiber and moisture, which are two necessary keys to healthy bowel movements. Many dogs also like the flavor of pumpkin, so any supplement that contains pumpkin is healthy for your dog.
- Fiber Supplements: Many dog stool softeners contain supplements that are high in fiber, which will help your dog with having normal bowel movements.
- Psyllium Seed Husks: This is an ingredient that is found in many products for humans like Metamucil, and it is safe for dogs when utilized properly in a dog stool softener.
- Oat Bran: Oat bran is another valuable source of fiber which can benefit your dog.
- Healthy Oils: Any dog stool softener that contains olive or mineral oil would be one to consider, as these healthy oils help soften stool and ease straining.
- Wet Dog Food: If you’re trying to avoid stool softeners, wet dog food is an excellent source of moisture, which is a vital ingredient to promote healthy bowels in dogs.
The Different Types of Stool Softener for Dogs: Pros and Cons Compared
As you read above, there are a variety of types of stool softeners for man’s best friend. To make it even easier for you to choose which one to give your dog, take a look at these handy pros and cons!
|Found most effective||One serving is for a 20-pound dog.|
|Most dogs enjoy the taste|
|Can be given daily|
|The formula can be given to cats too||Expensive|
|It’s gentle enough to not upset your dog’s stomach||Some dogs dislike the taste|
|Pet owners love how well it works|
|Great alternative for dogs with dental issues||Some dogs prefer it mixed with food vs. taken on its own|
|Very enjoyable taste|
|Constipation clears up quickly|
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
We’ve researched many different dog stool softeners that are currently on the market, and took many factors into consideration when compiling our list of the best. Below is a look at our criteria for what constitutes a quality dog stool softener:
- Trustworthy Ingredients: We looked for products that contain ingredients, preferably natural ones, that are high in fiber, such as pumpkin, larch tree extract, organic haritaki/amalaki/bibhitaki fruit (in our #3 recommendation), or other fiber-rich ingredients like sugar beet pulp, flaxseed & psyllium husk.
- Flavor: What’s the point of a great stool softener if your dog won’t ingest it? We looked for products that had good flavors your dog would take to like bacon, duck, or other meat flavors.
- Forms: Because your dog’s needs can vary when ingesting supplements, we provided options on our list in liquid form, soft chew, crunchy bar, and a canned food supplement.
- Price: While a quality dog stool softener is going to run you between $30-$40, our top overall choice will save you a bit, only costing $15 on average for a 40 day supply.
#1 Overall Best Stool Softener for Dogs: NaturVet Stool Ease for Dogs
Starting us off and winning the spot for the overall best stool softener for dogs is Naturvet’s Stool Ease. This option comes in a soft chew form and is designed to help maintain regular bowel movements.
It’s created with fibery and proprietary enzyme blend to help soften stool. Your pup will enjoy taking these chews because they taste just as delicious as a normal treat! Many pet owners enjoy that these are made in the United States and are cGMP and NASC-compliant.
If your furry friend is under 12 weeks old, it’s suggested to opt for another option on this list. NaturVet Stool Ease comes in a re-sealable cup to keep the chews fresh for an extended period of time. Because they’re made with fiber, you’ll want to increase your dog’s water intake on days you give him one of these supplements.
#2 Best Natural Stool Softener for Dogs: Nummy Tum-Tum Pure Organic Pumpkin Canned Dog Food
If you’re looking for an option that can help your pup without any unnecessary added ingredients, consider canned pumpkin. Right off the bat, you should be aware that any canned pumpkin with spices added should be avoided.
Nummy Tum-Tum Pure Organic Pumpkin is a great option that is rich in fiber to help improve the function of your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. You can scoop the pumpkin directly out of the can and feed it to Fido or add it to one of their daily meals.
It’s suggested to give servings between one tablespoon and half a cup, depending on the size of your dog and the severity of constipation.
- Rich in fiber and vitamin A
- Help improve the function of your dog’s gastrointestinal tract
- Suitable for all cats and dogs
- 100% Pure organic
#3 Best Liquid Stool Softener for Dogs: Pet Wellbeing Smooth BM Gold
Whether your dog has dental issues or you’re just wanting a liquid stool softener, the Pet Wellbeing Smooth BM Gold is our pick! It’s designed to not only help with back-ups, but it supports normal GI functions as well.
There aren’t any bulking ingredients that could potentially harm your dog’s intestines. When companies use bulking products in their stool softeners it can cause your dog to purge. The Pet Wellbeing Smooth BM Gold is made with organically grown herbs and can be given for long-term use.
- Made with organically grown herbs
- Supports normal GI functions, with no purging
- Safe for long-term use
#4 Best for Digestive Support: VetriScience Laboratories Express Ease
Another great option that provides digestive support is the VetriScience Laboratories Express Ease. These are tasty chews in a resealable package that your pup will enjoy taking!
They come with the necessary levels of fiber to help get things moving and break down anything stuck in the colon. It’s a pumpkin-based formula to help support the consistency of the stool and improve the health of the anal gland.
Your furry friend will love the taste of the real duck that these treats are naturally flavored with. These are other options that are made right here in the United States.
- Tasty chews in a resealable package
- Pumpkin-based formula with lots of fiber
- Very tasty duck-flavored treats
- Contains no added wheat
Summary of the Best Dog Stool Softeners
|1||Overall||NaturVet Stool Ease for Dogs|
|2||Natural||Nummy Tum-Tum Pure Organic Pumpkin Canned Dog Food|
|3||Liquid||Pet Wellbeing Smooth BM Gold|
|4||Digestive Support||VetriScience Laboratories Express Ease|
- The Best Blue Buffalo Grain-Free Dog Food If you want to switch your dog to grain-free dog food, and are a fan of the Blue Buffalo brand, take a look at our list of recommendations.
- The 6 Best Interactive Dog Toys: Reviewed for 2022 We’ve reviewed the best of interactive dog toys, which provide fun and entertainment for your dogs, while also stimulating them mentally.
- The 4 Best Dog Sleeping Bags: Reviewed for 2022 If you want your dog to go camping with you in style, check out our list of the best dog sleeping bags.
The Best Stool Softener for Dogs for 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do I know when it’s time to use a stool softener?
Monitor your dog’s habits, both with eating and going to the restroom. If your dog is really backed up, it may not want to eat. They’ll also avoid wanting to go outside and could start acting sluggish.
Can I get a prescription stool softener for my dog?
Yes! Many vets offer a variety of different options. This can be great for those pet owners who feel like they’ve tried anything and want to find relief for their pooch.