|#1 Overall Best: PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier||PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier|
|#2 Best for Outside: PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence||PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence|
|#3 Best for Meowing: SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats||SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats|
If your cat is getting into trouble or entering areas of the home where they are not supposed to go, a cat shock collar may be the solution you’re looking for. Cat shock collars can also be quite useful when training a cat, preventing them from acting aggressively towards other animals, stopping excessive meowing, or keeping indoor cats within the boundaries of a yard with an invisible fence.
Despite the name, cat shock collars don’t only use shocks to help cats learn that certain behaviors are undesirable. Many also us vibrations or sounds to signal cats to change their behavior. You’ll find that there are a variety of different types of cat shock collars on the market, including remote-controlled and water-resistant models. We’ve compiled the reviews below to help you find the right shock collar to help you with training your cat, keeping them indoors or within an invisible fence barrier, stopping them from meowing at all hours, preventing them from going through off-limit doorways, and more.
The Different Types of Cat Shock Collars: Pros and Cons Compared
There are two main types of cat shock collars you’ll find: obedience collars and containment collars. We’ll explore the pros and cons of each option below.
|Owners can deliver a shock or warning when their cat is engaging in an undesirable behavior to stop the behavior.||Some vets and trainers do not like shock collars.|
|Some cats respond well to the collars and quickly learn which behaviors are unacceptable.||Some cats may become stressed, anxious, or confused when they receive a shock.|
|Many models are water-resistant.||You will need to remember to keep the collar charged.|
|Can help cats learn to stay within a yard using an invisible fence or other barriers.||Some vets and trainers do not like invisible fences and shock collars.|
|Indoor options are available to teach cats to stay away from doorways or other interior barriers.||Some cats may become stressed, anxious, or confused when they receive a shock.|
|Collar will give cats a warning when they are approaching the boundary by beeping or making another sound.||You will need to remember to keep the collar charged.|
|The shock will automatically be sent when the cat crosses boundaries.|
|Owners can adjust the intensity of the shock based on the cat’s needs.|
Verified Review: Our Hands On Experience
We purchased and tested cat shock collars from different manufacturers looking for the top models to share with our readers. After our testing, we selected the products below for quality and reliability. Here are a few other items we noted about each of our selections throughout the testing process:
- PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier: We found that this worked with some of our cats and helped us to keep them away from different areas in the home. However, the collar is a bit large and may not be a good fit for many cats.
- PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence: We tried this for a few of our indoor cats who kept trying to escape outside. It worked well for one of them and taught her to stay in the yard and not try to climb the fence. However, the transponder makes the collar pretty heavy, and it seems like it may be uncomfortable for many cats to wear.
- SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats: We like the calming pheromones that this collar releases and found that they were quite effective at cutting back on excessive meowing. However, we wish the collar had a breakaway design. Some other reviewers noted that their cats got their jaw caught under the collar and suffered injury or even death. We’d recommend doing what some others have recommended and cutting the collar apart to connect it to a breakaway cat collar that will be safer for your feline friend to wear.
The Top Picks for the Best Cat Shock Collar: Ranked
#1 Overall Best:PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier
- SET INDOOR BOUNDARIES: Keep your cat off the kitchen counter and your dog away from the shoe rack by setting off-limits areas with the wireless, Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier transmitter
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: You’ll receive 1 Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier and a receiver collar for your cat or dog to wear
- SAFELY CORRECTS YOUR PET: When your pet enters the boundary area wearing the receiver collar, they will hear a series of beeps and then will receive a safe yet startling static correction
- ADJUSTABLE BARRIER RANGE: Protect specific areas throughout your home by adjusting the boundary up to a 6 feet radius or 12 feet in diameter
- PROTECT MULTIPLE AREAS OF YOUR HOME: If you want to keep your pet away from more than 1 area of your home, simply purchase additional Pawz Away barriers and place them where needed
If you need to set barriers in your home to keep your cat away from certain spaces or doorways, off your counters, or away from furniture, the PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier may be the right fit for you. Each purchase includes one receiver collar and one indoor pet barrier for cats or dogs. Additional barriers can be purchased to keep cats away from more than one space in a home.
Once the device is set up, your cat will hear multiple beeps when they are getting close to the receiver. A safe static correction, that is safe, yet enough to startle the cat, will be sent following the beeps to help them learn to stay away from the off-limits area.
You can customize the range of the barrier based on your needs and the layout of your space. The range can be set for up to a 12-foot diameter from the receiver.
The shock collar that comes with this pack is designed for use with cats who weigh at least 5 pounds and have a neck circumference between 6 and 28 inches. This collar is also compatible with other Pawz Away Barriers, including the Pawz Away Outdoor Pet Barrier.
Click here to check out PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier on amazon.com.
#2 Best for Outside:PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: Sets up in just 1-2 hours and creates a circular boundary that covers up to a 3/4-acre yard (22-105 ft in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO DIGGING OR WIRE TO BURY: Sets up in just a few hours; a wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- PORTABLE: This portable system is terrific for camping, vacation homes, or anywhere you travel with access to an outlet
- WATERPROOF COLLAR: The waterproof collar comfortably fits small, medium, and large pets 5 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
If you’re looking to keep an outdoor cat safely in your yard, try this invisible fence from PetSafe. You can use the included materials to set up a circular boundary to cover up to 3/4 of an acre.
Unlike other invisible fences, you won’t need to bury wire to create the wireless barrier for this system. Simply place the stakes in the ground to get it all set up in just one or two hours.
There are five different levels of static correction you can choose from based on your cat’s size and personality. You can also choose to use the tone-only mode, which will simply deliver sounds, not shocks, to alert your cat that they are approaching the boundary line.
A waterproof receiver collar designed to fit cats who weigh at least 5 pounds is included with the set. It can be adjusted to fit neck circumferences between 6 and 28 inches. The collar is battery-powered, and the battery should last between 1 and 2 months before needing to be replaced.
Click here to check out PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence on amazon.com.
#3 Best for Meowing:SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats
- Scientifically proven: Sentry calming collar for Cats reduces excessive meowing, marking and scratching.
- Less stressful lives: The Sentry calming cat collar reduces excessive meowing in cats and kittens.
- Eliminate unwanted behavior: Sentry cat calming collar helps stop inappropriate marking and unwanted scratching.
- Safe & effective: Calming feline collar is safe and effective when used as directed, without long-term side effects.
- 30 day release: Sentry calming collar for Cats and kittens releases pheromones for up to 30 days.
If your cat is meowing, scratching, or marking excessively, it may be caused by stress. Rather than trying a shock collar, consider trying the calming collar from SENTRY PET CARE. Each collar last for up to 30 days and gradually releases pheromones designed to calm cats and reduce or eliminate undesirable behaviors.
This collar is safe to be used on cats as long as it is used as directed. It doesn’t present any long-term side effects or cause any harm to cats. You can purchase the collar in a 1- or 3-pack.
Click here to check out SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats on amazon.com.
Summary of Best Cat Shock Collars
|1||Overall||PetSafe Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier|
|2||Outside||PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence|
|3||Meowing||SENTRY PET CARE Calming Collar for Cats|
- Here are Our Top Choices for Best Cat Harnesses – Give your cat some fun outdoor time with one of the best cat harnesses on the market.
- Our Top Picks for Best Cat Muzzles: Reviewed for You – Keep your cat calm in stressful situations with these recommendations for the best cat muzzles.
- Our Top Choices for the 4 Best Cat Water Fountains – Give your cat a constant stream of fresh water with a Cat Water Fountain.
Last update on 2022-07-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Cat Shock Collars FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the best cat shock collars?
The best cat shock collar will be one that is designed specifically for use with cats or small animals. Collars designed for use with large dogs will be too powerful for a cat and should not be used. You may also want to look for models that offer you the option to send a warning vibration or sound before delivering a full shock to your cat.
Do shock collars work on cats?
Cat shock collars can work on some cats, but since every animal is different the results you experience may vary. Most people that find success with shock collars use them as a tool for training or curtailing aggressive behaviors.
Do vets recommend shock collars?
Vets can have differing opinions on the use of shock collars. Most recommend trying positive reinforcement training methods first but may recommend a shock collar if it is safer than the alternative to not using the collar.
Will a shock collar stop a cat from meowing?
Shock collars may be useful for helping some cats stop meowing. However, for many cats using a shock collar can cause them stress, leave them feeling confused, or make them engage in undesirable behaviors.
Are shock collars cruel?
If used incorrectly, shock collars can be cruel. The best option is to try to change your cat’s behaviors using positive reinforcement training methods and only resort to using the collar if other approaches and suggestions from your veterinarian aren’t successful.
How does a cat shock collar work?
Cat shock collars allow owners to send an electric shock to their cat. They have prongs that make contact with the cat’s skin, and when owners press a button the remote, their cat will be given a shock. Many shock collars also offer the option to send a vibration or a beeping sound as a warning or an alternative before sending an actual shock.
Where can I buy a cat shock collar?
Cat shock collars may be available for purchase from a local pet store, but the best place to buy one is probably through an online retailer, such as Amazon. This will provide you with a larger selection to help you find exactly what you are looking for.