- Our pic for #1 Best Overall cat bed is the Step2 Furry Friends Bunk Bed.
- Consider your cat’s sleeping style before deciding on the ideal bed to purchase. Does your cat like sleeping out in the open or in an enclosed space?
- You should look for a cat bed with soft but durable fabric that’s comfortable for your cat. You also want to consider whether or not it’s machine-washable, as pet beds need frequent washings.
- Cat beds come in a vast assortment of designs, such as donut shaped, multi-leveled, hooded, and enclosed. They also come in a variety of colors to match your home décor seamlessly.
Cats sleep an average of 15 hours a day and some sleep as many as 20! So, it’s important that they have a cozy bed of their own. If your cat has her own bed she will go there when she’s tired instead of restlessly searching for a comfy spot to nap. And her bed will provide a much-needed sense of familiarity and security if you move to a new home or take her with you on vacation.
How do you find the perfect bed for your cat? The first thing to consider is your cat’s resting behavior. Does she seek out confined places like cardboard boxes or under the couch? Or does she prefer exposed spaces like your bed, the couch, or the floor? The answer to these questions will determine whether you should purchase an enclosed or open cat bed.
The other criteria you will need to consider are how comfortable the cat bed is, how easy it is to clean, and whether it complements your décor.
#1 Best Overall: Step2 Furry Friends Bunk Bed | Multi-Level Pet Bed for Dogs and Cats
Our choice for the best overall cat bed is the multifunctional Step2 Furry Friends Bunk Bed that is lightweight and comfy and can double as a lounge space! This wide cubby is spacious enough for cats (and dogs!) to feel enclosed and safe. It includes two tiers, plus two plush, tufted bed cushions that fit snugly in the top and cubby spaces.
It’s molded from a durable, pet-safe material that won’t splinter, chip, or fade and its stylish design and neutral color ensure that it will work with any décor. It features a cubby space and its top tier keeps accidents contained. Just rinse out and tilt to dry. For quick cleaning, simply wipe the surface with a damp paper towel.
One reviewer reported that their cat enjoys resting its head on the cushioned border so it can watch what’s going on in the room. Another stated that the cubby is spacious enough to accommodate two cats comfortably.
One disadvantage of this cat bed is that some reviewers reported that the cushions weren’t plush enough.
Pros and Cons of the Step2 Furry Friends Bunk Bed | Multi-Level Pet Bed for Dogs and Cats
|This bunk bed for cats has two tiers — cubby spaces and a top for watching the world go by.||Some reviewers reported that the cushions aren’t plush enough.|
|It features two plush, tufted bed cushions that fit the cubbies and the top space.|
|This multi-level bed is molded from a durable, pet-safe material that won’t splinter, chip, or fade.|
|It’s easy to clean: Just wipe the surface with a damp paper towel.|
2. Best Budget: Frisco Hooded Zipper Cat & Dog Covered Bed
Our choice for the best budget cat bed, the Frisco Hooded Zipper Cat & Dog Covered Bed (also available in X-small), features a zippered hood. If your kitty prefers to be surrounded by coziness, keep the hood on. If they prefer to sleep out in the open, remove the hood so they can enjoy the extra space.
This stylish cat bed is covered in bright, teal velvet that will add a tasteful splash of color to any room in your home. The removable cushion inside is machine washable, so cleaning will be a breeze.
One reviewer said that this is the first bed that her cat has liked better than the box it came in! It’s her favorite spot because it’s so cozy and soft inside.
Pros and Cons of the Frisco Hooded Zipper Cat & Dog Covered Bed
|This pet bed features a removable zippered hood that makes it perfect for cats (and dogs) that prefer to be in a cozy “cave.”||None|
|The removable cushion is machine washable for easy cleaning.|
|It’s bright teal velvet to add a splash of stylish color to any room.|
3. Best for Cats that Prefer Confined Spaces: Armarkat Cat Bed, Laurel Green and Beige
Our choice for cats that prefer confined spaces, the Armarkat Cat Bed, is beautifully designed from soft velvet in neutral colors (Laurel Green and Beige) that will complement any décor. This cozy, enclosed cat bed is machine washable, filled with extra-thick 100% poly fill for maximum comfort, and features a skid-free base that prevents the bed from sliding on hardwood floors when your cat crawls in or out.
Reviewers reported that their kitties love this “cat cave” because it’s cushy and the sides provide a sense of protection. Some pet parents, however, said that the cat cave, which measures 20″L x 20″W x 14″H, was too small.
Pros and Cons of the Armarkat Cat Bed, Laurel Green and Beige
|This attractive cat bed is made from soft Laurel Green and Beige velvet.||Some reviewers reported that it’s too small.|
|It’s machine washable, filled with extra-thick 100% poly fill, and features a skid-free base.|
|It measures 20″L x 20″W x 14″H.|
|Cats like it because it’s cushy and makes them feel secure.|
4. Best for Cats that Prefer Open Spaces: HACHIKITTY Dog Beds Calming Donut Bed
Don’t let the name fool you! The HACHIKITTY Calming Donut “Dog Bed” is the perfect bed for cats that prefer open spaces. Its long, fake fur provides cats with a sense of security without making them feel enclosed. The donut shape provides a comfortable pillow for your kitty, no matter which way she’s facing.
This modern take on the cat bed is thoughtfully designed in muted pastel rainbow hues that will brighten any décor. And it’s machine washable and dryable, so you can easily keep your cat’s bed fresh and clean. It’s available in three sizes: the 20” cat beds for cats up to 15 pounds, the 24” medium dog beds for medium dogs up to 25 pounds, and the 30” large fur dog beds for large dogs up to 45 pounds.
One reviewer reported that she has washed her cat’s HACHIKITTY donut bed four times in hot water so far and it still looks like new. (Please note: This cat bed should be air dried.) Though one pet parent reported that the bed was “cheap” and developed a hole during its second wash that caused them to throw it away.
Pros and Cons of the HACHIKITTY Dog Beds Calming Donut Bed
|This donut-shaped cat bed provides a sense of security without making cats feel enclosed.||It may not withstand multiple washings.|
|The edges provide a comfortable pillow all around the donut bed.|
|It’s made of machine washable/dryable material in muted pastel rainbow hues.|
|This donut bed is available in three sizes to accommodate pets up to 45 pounds.|
How to Choose the Right Bed for Your Cat
There are four main factors to consider when selecting the right bed for your cat:
- Whether your cat prefers to sleep in an enclosed or open space
- How comfortable the cat bed is
- How easy it is to clean
- Whether it will complement your décor
Let’s examine these factors in more detail:
Whether Your Cat Prefers to Sleep in an Enclosed or Open Space
Your cat will be more likely to use and enjoy its new bed if you take its sleeping style into consideration. You probably already know whether your cat prefers to sleep in cave-like spaces or out in the open. If not, observe how your cat sleeps. It won’t take long to figure out, since most cats sleep from 15 to 20 hours a day!
How Comfortable the Cat Bed Is
Read the vendor’s description thoroughly to determine how the cat bed is constructed, what materials were used, and their claims as to why their product is comfortable. Then read customer reviews, which will provide you with real-life insight as to the cat bed’s comfortability.
How Easy It Is to Clean
The vendor’s description of the cat bed will indicate whether it can be cleaned and, if so, how. Customer reviews will tell you how well the cat bed withstood multiple cleanings, whether all stains were removed, and whether the material faded.
Whether It Will Complement Your Décor
Visit the product listing to see the cat bed. Most listings include multiple photos of the product shot from different perspectives. If you can imagine the cat bed in the area of your home where you plan to put it and it meets the other three criteria above, you’ve found the right bed for your kitty.
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
When making our recommendations for the best cat beds, we researched many products to find ones with the following criteria present:
- Durability — The materials used in the construction of the bed hold up against wear and tear such as scratching without tearing apart easily; able to withstand regular machine washing.
- Safety — The materials used to make the beds are safe for your cat, free from agents that could cause skin allergies or rashes. We also favored water-proof fabrics for senior cats who may soil their beds and non-flammable options.
- Functionality — The bed was comfortable for your cat to curl up in; it came in a variety of sizes to fit a small to a large cat; had some tread to keep it stable on the floor; options such as open or enclosed.
- Aesthetics — The cat bed was pleasing to the eye, blending into home décor if necessary; available in an assortment of colors, or in cute designs to showcase your cat’s personality.
- The 5 Best Escape-Proof Cat Harnesses — Cats enjoy adventure time outdoors. But you may not want your beloved feline to roam “free.” Invest in one of these top-of-the-line cat harnesses.
- The Best Interactive Cat Toys — Reviewed and Ranked — Interactive toys help stimulate your cat, eliminate boredom, and prevent destructive behaviors like scratching. Read to learn about the best interactive cat toys on the market.
- Explore AZ Animal’s Best Cat Litter Mats! — Tired of cat litter scattered all over your utility room floor? Consider one of our recommendations for the best cat litter mats out there.
The 4 Best Cat Beds: Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do I get my cat to use its cat bed?
The easiest way to get your kitty to use its new cat bed is to make it so enticing that they won’t be able to resist checking it out. Sprinkle some catnip or other treat on their bed. If it’s an enclosed cat bed, place the treat as far away from the entrance as possible so the cat will have to go in to get it. Praise your cat for going into its new bed.
How often should I wash my cat’s bed?
Experts recommend washing cat beds every other week. While this may sound excessive, remember that a clean bed is healthier for your pet. Also, keep in mind that a dirty cat bed is the perfect breeding ground for fleas, mites, and other pests that you don’t want to infest your home.
If your kitty’s bed seems dirty or has an unpleasant odor, wash it immediately.
Where should I put my cat’s bed?
If your cat already has a favorite sleeping spot (other than your bed), place it there. Otherwise, select a warm spot near a window or radiator.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.