|Best Overall||Frisco Butterfly Cat Tracks Cat Toy|
|Best for the Money||Potaroma Flopping Fish 10.5″|
|Best When You're Away||RIOFLY Cat Toys Interactive – 2 in-1 Laser Toy|
|Best Cat Toy for Intelligence||Interactive Treat Maze & Puzzle Feeder for Cats|
|Best Premium Cat Toy||Automatic 2 in 1 Laser Cat Feather Toy|
- Interactive cat toys motivate your cat to move more than average toys do, helping to stimulate your cat and cut down on inactivity which can lead to obesity.
- There are many different types of interactive cat toys. Some categories include: laser toys, cat puzzle toys, ball towers, battery-operated toys, and batting toys.
- While investing in one interactive toy with one feature can cut down on costs, a more costly but versatile toy can offer your cat many features to enjoy, so may be a better investment.
Most cats do not meet their daily exercise needs. Even if your feline seems to be quite active during the day, unless you are regularly providing simulation, they probably aren’t getting enough. This is one reason why 59% of all cats are overweight or obese. If you’re looking to increase your cat’s activity (or entertain a very active cat), interactive toys are a great way to go about that.
They keep your cat active even when you aren’t there. Plus, they encourage cats to move more than your average toy, which requires some input from the feline.
Below, we’ve taken a look at some of the top interactive cat toys on the market. With these, your cat will hopefully get a bit more exercise and run off its energy.
A-Z-Animals Top Picks For Interactive Cat Toys
- Frisco Butterfly Cat Tracks Cat Toy
- Provides plenty of interactive playtimes
- Features nonskid pads on the bottom
- Provides physical stimulation to burn off excess energy
- Includes three different tiers with balls on each tier
- Potaroma Flopping Fish 10.5"
- Comes with a certified battery that lasts quite a long time
- Made with natural materials
- Premium catnip is included
- With the smallest touch, the fish begins to flop around
- RIOFLY Cat Toys Interactive - 2 in-1 Laser Toy
- Completely interactive and require no owner setup
- Provides four hours of continuous play on a full battery
- Can be placed on any surface
- The shell is made of high-impact ABS
- Interactive Treat Maze & Puzzle Feeder for Cats
- It requires your cat to use its brain as well as its body to receive the treat reward
- Comes with three different built-in levels
- Very useful for bored cats
- Best for owners that are at home, as you have to set it up
Choosing the Best: What to Look For
If you’re looking for the best interactive cat toys, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. For instance, you’ll want to consider the durability, price, and versatility. Let’s take a look at each of those factors one-by-one:
Your cat is going to be biting and scratching the interactive toy – that is the point, after all. Therefore, it is vital that you find a toy that can withstand this kind of rough-and-tumble play. Otherwise, the toy is not going to last very long.
Preferably, both the shell and extensions on the toy should be quite durable and made from a safe material. You don’t want your cat to accidentally break a piece off and ingest it, after all.
While we would all like to ignore the price tag, most of us cannot do that. Therefore, it is vital that you choose an interactive cat toy that fits within your budget. Because these toys have a bit more to them than your average cat toy, you can expect to spend a bit more than you would otherwise.
However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t find an inexpensive, interactive cat toy. You just have to look a bit more carefully. Most interactive cat toys are at least $15. However, some of them are as much as $30.
It can be hard to determine exactly what cat toys your feline is going to like. Therefore, your best bet is to find a cat toy that can be played in a variety of different ways. Luckily, there are quite a few different options that you can look at. For instance, most of them have multiple extensions that do different things, which helps the toy cater to different play styles.
Unless you know exactly what your cat likes, you should avoid toys that only do one thing. Your cat might not like batting at that particular kind of feather, for instance. In these cases, you may end up spending money on a toy that your cat just won’t use.
Different Types of Interactive Cat Toys: Pros and Cons Compared
The categories of different interactive cat toys are not set in stone. Therefore, discussing them can be a bit complicated. However, in this section, we are going to do our best to review the different pros and cons of the many types of interactive cat toys.
Some cats will like different styles more than others.
- Puzzle cat toys – these cat toys are great for felines that need some mental stimulation. However, they don’t move or have batteries, so they don’t encourage lots of activity.
- Batting toys – typically these have some sort of a string or cord that the machine then moves around, sending the feather on the end moving all over the place.
- Laser toys – this sort of interactive cat toy is very easy to make, so they are quite common. Simply put, this type of cat toy features a laser that moves around to excite your feline.
- Ball towers – there are tons of different ball towers on the market. These feature multiple levels (usually) of balls on tracks. Your cat hits a ball and sends it flying around the track.
- Battery-powered toys – these toys don’t fit into any other category, but they do have a battery that causes some sort of movement. You’ll find some self-moving balls in this category, for instance.
There are probably some interactive toys that don’t fit in these categories, as well as some that may fit in both. Either way, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each:
Puzzle Cat Toys
- Mentally and phsyically entertaining
- Often utilizes treats, which can make your feline gain weight
- Well-loved by most cats
- Can cause cats to get bored easily
- Easy to install just about anywhere
- Some cats don’t seem entertained by lasers. They may even act they they don’t see them!
- Very durable. There aren’t many parts for your cat to break.
- Not very versatile. Your cat can get bored easily.
- Promotes exercise and interests
- Many different styles available
- Not very versatile
Our Criteria and Experience: Why We Chose the Best
There are many benefits to purchasing an interactive cat toy. Many cats do not get enough exercise. Not only can this make them gain weight, but they may also search for their own fun, which usually means getting in trouble. If your cat runs around the house like a maniac in the middle of the night, it could be that they aren’t getting enough exercise during the day.
Either way, many people do see a difference in their cats once they provide them with an interactive toy to use during the day. Cats tend to get calmer and behave badly less.
However, you can’t just go out and buy any interactive cat toy. One of the biggest problems with all cat toys is that it’s hard to know what your feline is going to like. Some cats absolutely love a certain toy, while others may not pay any attention to it. This isn’t necessarily a problem with the toy. Some cats just like certain things.
Of course, this pickiness can make it challenging to pick out a toy for your feline. For this reason, we recommend either choosing a more expensive, versatile toy that does many different things or choosing a few cheaper toys that all do different things. Either way, this will provide your feline with multiple different options to play with.
The interactive toys that we have recommended have been researched by our team to verify that they are well-made, versatile, and do the job of entertaining cats. We also consulted reviews of the products to ensure that the owners of these products found them to be good choices for their cats. After narrowing our list of over 20 possibilities down, we found our top four recommendations to be the best interactive cat toys we found. Check our details about our list below.
#1 Best Overall – Frisco Butterfly Cat Tracks Cat Toy
The Frisco Butterfly Cat Tracks is our top rated cat toy. Not only is this interactive toy very fun, but it is also quite inexpensive. It includes three different tiers with balls on each tier. Two butterfly pieces are also included, which are attached to springs. With three different levels, this cat toy provides plenty of interactive playtimes. Combined with the bounce of the butterflies, the spinning action of the balls helps keep your cat entertained.
This toy also features nonskid pads on the bottom, which prevent the structure from sliding around when your cat bats and plays. You can place this toy on wood, tile, or other slippery surfaces without needing to worry about it sliding about.
For the most part, this toy simply provides physical stimulation. While there is some mental work involved, this is mostly for felines that need to burn off some energy or get some extra exercise.
#2 Best for the Money – Potaroma Flopping Fish
For those looking for something a bit less expensive, you can’t get much better than this flopping fish. While it is very simple, many cats love it. With the smallest touch, the fish begins to flop around, “interacting” with the feline. Therefore, it encourages cats to kick and play longer – hopefully helping them burn off some energy.
The fish looks extremely realistic. While your cat likely doesn’t care much about the look, it does make it quite entertaining for those watching.
This interactive toy also comes with a certified battery that lasts quite a long time and is not dangerous for your feline. Of course, a charger is also included. The passing inside is also made with natural materials, similar to what is typically used in baby toys. Premium catnip is included to encourage your feline to play with the toy.
#3 Best When You’re Away – RIOFLY Interactive Cat Toy
Even when we’re gone at work, our cats need something to keep them entertained and moving. Luckily, this interactive cat toy by Riofly does just that. It provides cats with many different ways to play that are completely interactive and don’t require any owner setup. This toy comes with a cat feather, streamer, and two lasers. It automatically turns on when a cat interacts with it, and then turns off when the interaction stops.
It does require regular charging. However, it provides four hours of continuous play on a full battery. Therefore, it does provide a full day of intense play on one charge, which is perfect for those that aren’t home all the time.
We also liked that this cat toy can be placed on any surface, including a cat tree, door, or table. It only requires that the surface is thicker than 1.1 inches. The whole thing is 360-degrees, so you can place it facing any direction. The laser is completely adjustable, so you can always point it towards the floor.
The whole operation is quiet so that it won’t scare your feline. The shell is made of high-impact ABS, which can handle drops, scratches, and bites. This toy is designed to withstand heavy use by your feline, so we expect the toy to last a long time into the future.
#4 Best Cat Toy for Intelligence – Cat Amazing Interactive Treat Maze
While cats do need physical stimulation, many of them also need quite a bit of mental stimulation as well. As you might imagine, much of this is reliant on how intelligent your cat is, as well as other sources of mental stimulation that receive each day.
If your cat seems to be quite bored throughout the day, you may be interested in this cat toy for intelligence. It requires your cat to use its brain as well as its body to receive the treat reward.
This puzzle toy comes with three different built-in levels, which allows you to slowly increase the difficulty as necessary. The harder the level, the more holes the treats can hide. We recommend starting with the easiest level and then working your way up as your feline gets the hang of it.
The only negative of this toy is that you have to set it up. Once the treats are gone, they’re gone. Therefore, this is best for those that are home at least some of the time. You’ll also have to be careful not to feed your felines too many treats.
#5 Best Premium Cat Toy – ORSDA 2-in-1 Interactive Cat Toys for Indoor Cats
Compared to others on the market, this cat toy is quite expensive. However, it comes with quite a few different play options, preventing your cat from becoming bored. For one, it includes six different feathers for your cat to play with. You can change these feathers out to maintain freshness and change up the play routine. There is also a ball included that rolls around a ramp, providing another play opportunity.
The feathers are made with completely natural materials, so there isn’t any toxic coloring that may potentially harm your feline. The shell is made with ABS and has smooth edges.
This machine also features an auto shut-off, as well as five different speed modes. You can set the speed to a different option each day, which helps prevent your cat from getting bored. Furthermore, it also shuts off automatically at night, which allows you and your cat to sleep.
Summary of the Best Interactive Cat Toys
|1||Overall||Frisco Butterfly Cat Tracks Cat Toy|
|2||Budget||Potaroma Flopping Fish|
|3||When You’re Away||RIOFLY Interactive Cat Toy|
|4||Intelligence||Cat Amazing Interactive Treat Maze|
|5||Premium||ORSDA 2-in-1 Interactive Cat Toys for Indoor Cats|
Products For This Review
- The 4 Best Cat Beds for 2022: Reviewed and Ranked Your cat may love curling up in your lap, but what it really needs is it’s own comfy cat bed! Here’s our list of the best cat beds.
- Here are Our Top Choices for Best Cat Harnesses If you want your cat to have some outdoor fun, but don’t feel comfortable letting it roam free, check out the cat harnesses in this review.
- The Best Cat Food for Indoor Cats: Reviewed and Ranked Indoor cats don’t get as much exercise as those that live outdoors, so need food specialized just for their needs. We’ve compiled a list of the best foods for indoor cats for your perusal.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.