|Best Overall||West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Dog Toy|
|Best Durable||Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible Dog Pull Toy|
|Best Cuddling Toy||Charming Pet Cuddle Tugs Bunny Squeaky Plush Dog Toy|
|Best Tug Toy Set||Pacific Pups Rescue Assorted Rope Dog Toys|
- Dog tug toys give your dog a chance to play tug-of-war, and expend some energy in a safe, healthy way.
- Some of the types of dog tug toys you’ll encounter when shopping are made of rubber or rope, and come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
- Dog tug toys must be durable to withstand regular rough play. No toy is indestructible, but finding the toy that matches your dog’s strength and size will play a part in the toy’s longevity.
There’s no denying that there are a wide variety of dog toys on the market. Some pups like squeaky toys, while others love to retrieve frisbees and tennis balls. We’ve even seen dogs play a fun game of soccer with their owners.
Whatever your dog likes to play with, the entertainment that comes from a tug toy is unlike anything else. It gives your dog a sense of tug-of-war and helps them expel some of their energy. Dog tug toys are usually made of durable stretchy rubber or knotted rope, and come in an assortment of shapes. They allow the owner to firmly clasp one end of the toy, while the dog tugs away at another end that it can grip firmly in its teeth without causing injury.
When you’re playing with a tug toy with your dog, it’s essential to find a high-quality product so that it doesn’t fall to pieces after a couple of uses. In the long run, you’ll save more money by investing in a quality toy than a cheaper alternative. If you’re unsure of which tug toy for dogs you should get, keep on reading!
A-Z-Animals Top Picks for Tug Toys for Dogs
- West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Dog Toy
- Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible Dog Pull Toy
- Virtually indestructible, made for larger dogs
- Designed by a family company
- The unique shape makes it easy for both people and dogs to grip
- Made with, food-grade rubber
- Charming Pet Cuddle Tugs Bunny Squeaky Plush Dog Toy
#1 Best Overall: West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Tug of War Toy
After our research, we found that the best tug toy for dogs is the West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Tug of War Toy. Unlike a traditional tug toy, the Bumi is designed and made with Zogoflex, which is a unique plastic material that is essentially indestructible. This toy is incredibly lightweight and is soft enough to be safe for your dog’s mouth.
This is an airborne pet toy as well, making it fun for dogs that have a lot of energy to get out. They’ll be able to run far and play for a long time with this toy. Another benefit of the overall best option is that it’s recyclable and floats in water!
It’s dishwasher safe and will quickly become your dog’s go-to toy when it’s time to play. It shouldn’t break the bank, as most places sell the Bumi for under $20.
#2 Best Durable Tug Toy: GoughNuts MAXX Black TuG Toy
With the phrase “virtually indestructible” in the name, the GoughNuts MAXX Black TuG Toy is a great option for dog parents with pups that like to play rough. If you have a larger dog, such as a rottweiler or golden retriever, this is a great option.
It’s designed by a family company and manufactured in the United States. Its unique shape makes it easy for both people and dogs to grip onto the toy. The material it’s made with, food-grade rubber, is incredibly durable and resilient, even though it stretches. This toy is guaranteed for life and GoughNuts will replace any tug toy you own!
#3 Best Cuddling Tug Toy: The Charming Pet Cuddle Tug
While it may look cute and soft, The Charming Pet Cuddle Tug makes for a great fetch and tug toy. This unique plush toy opens up and extends to over two feet long! It’s designed with K9 Tuff Guard Technology and has nylon-fused backing with double stitches that creates a very durable toy.
Dogs will instantly fall in love with the two squeakers inside and the crinkle paper that will quickly pique their interest. Unlike other plush pet toys, this one doesn’t have any stuffing. No stuffing in a toy means no messy fluff for you to clean up after playtime.
- This unique plush toy opens up and extends to over two feet long
- Designed with K9 Tuff Guard Technology
- Features two squeakers inside
- Doesn’t have any stuffing
#4 Best Tug Toy Set: Pacific Pups Products 11-Piece Toy Set
We had to include a toy set for pet owners that love to spoil their furry friends. The Pacific Pups Products 11-Piece Toy Set comes with everything you need to keep your dog happy and healthy! If you aren’t sure which tug toy to get your dog, this is a great option.
The company helps a nonprofit in California and a bit of your purchase will go towards saving dogs from a high kill shelter. You won’t have to worry about any toxic materials for dogs or small children, as these toys are all plastic-free.
The kit includes a flossing toy that can help keep your pooch’s teeth clean and even improve their dental health. Whether you’re looking for a toy to tug, play fetch, or strengthen their jaw muscles, you’ll find several in this pack that your pup will adore!
Choosing the Best: What to Look For
When you’re shopping around for your dog’s next tug toy, there are certain features you’ll want to keep in mind. To prevent you from spending your hard-earned money on something you and your dog won’t enjoy, look for these things in each tug toy.
A Handle for You to Hold
When you’re playing tug with your pup, having a handle for both you and your dog to hold on to is key. Even if it’s the end of a rope, being able to tightly grip the toy makes playing tug easier for everyone involved!
Proper Sizing for Your Dog Breed
Just like animals, tug toys come in all shapes and sizes. It’s essential to get the right size toy for your dog to prevent things such as choking. If you buy a toy too big for your dog, they’ll likely not even be able to fit it in their mouth.
The majority of tug toys on the market are affordable. Just like anything else you give your dog, making sure it’s made out of high-quality materials is key. Your furry friend will be playing rough with a tug toy and you want to make sure it lasts as long as possible.
The Different Types of Dog Cameras: Pros and Cons Compared
There are a handful of different types of dog tug toys available. They all come with their advantages and disadvantages. To make sure you get the best toy for your specific dog breed, check out these pros and cons.
- Toy Rope: A toy rope is the most commonly used type of tug toy and is usually long-lasting. There are a variety of sizes available and tug ropes are generally affordable. They do tend to fray and can get things such as sticks and slobber stuck in the strings.
- Rubber Tug Toy: Rubber tug toys are becoming increasingly popular due to their durable design. While there’s not always somewhere comfortable for you to hold onto, dogs can’t seem to get enough of these toys that are made for rough and tough playtime.
- Plush Toys: Dogs just love to get into a kid’s toybox and steal a stuffed animal! While dog’s love to get in a tugging match with one of these, the problem is that they usually rip after a while, and stuffing comes out that can be a choking hazard (not to mention messy). If you’re looking for a tug toy like this, try something like our #3 recommendation, which is free of stuffing and durable enough to withstand rough play.
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
To create our list of the best dog tugging toys, we researched the more popular products that come highly recommended, have received the highest praise among consumers, and meet certain criteria that we have set to judge these toys: durability, longevity, safety, and easy to clean. Here are our comments on each criteria:
- Durability: If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that a dog tug toy must be durable enough to withstand the onslaught of vigorous battle! The products we recommend are highly durable, from the ever-so-tough Goughnut rubber ring for aggressive chewers to our overall best rubber S toy for more gentle chewers–we’ve provided an option for every type of dog. Our #3 plush bunny toy is the perfect choice to satisfy those dogs that long for a stuffed animal of their own, made with K9 Tuff Guard technology to prevent ripping. The #4 ropes we recommend were specially designed to support Pacific Pups shelter dogs, and are very durable products.
- Longevity: We made sure that the products we have recommended have a long shelf-life, withstanding destructive play. Be sure that the toy you choose matches your dog’s strength and energy. No toy lasts forever, but if the toy is suited to your dog, it will have the best chance of survival.
- Safety: The products that made our list are made of safe materials that won’t harm your dog. It’s important to remember no dog toy is completely indestructible. If you start to notice cracking or breakage, assess if the toy still seems safe for your dog. While these materials may be safe to lick and hold in a dog’s mouth, that doesn’t mean it’s safe for them to ingest.
- Easy to Clean: Dog slobber, dirt, and debris are some of the elements that make dog toys dirty. The products we’ve recommended can be safely handwashed in soap and water. Beyond that, we can’t recommend that they go through a cycle in the washing machine.
Summary of the Best Tug Toys for Dogs
|1||Overall||West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Tug of War Toy|
|2||Durable||GoughNuts MAXX Black TuG Toy|
|3||Cuddling||The Charming Pet Cuddle Tug|
|4||Tug Toy Set||Pacific Pups Products 11-Piece Toy Set|
- The 6 Best Interactive Dog Toys: Reviewed for 2022 If your dog is already enjoying tug toys, it may also enjoy one of our recommendations for the best interactive dog toys.
- The 3 Best Dog Tents You Should Buy: Reviewed for 2022 So you’re going camping, and your dog insists on having its own tent! Check out our top picks for the best dog tent.
- We Found the 6 Best Dog Shampoos (Updated) for 2022 It’s bath time! Help your dog get all clean with one of the best dog shampoos we’ve found.
The Best Tug Toys for Dogs for 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is tug-of-war good for dogs?
Yes! Playing tug with your pooch can build their confidence, strengthen your bond, promote impulse control, and more. It helps to keep your dog in shape and they won’t feel like they’ve dominated you if they “beat” you in the game.
Why do dogs shake their heads when playing tug?
The most common reason they do this is that they’re trying to get the rope or toy away from you and tug you over to their side. Dogs will also shake their heads when they are happy or to get your attention!
Is it okay if dogs play tug with each other?
Absolutely! Similar to how playing builds bonds between a dog owner and the pup, it can strengthen relationships between two dogs as well!
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.